55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...I definitely agree with all that’s been mentioned about weight lifting/strength training. My why is simply staying mobile as I age, and lifting is empowering! Hasfit.com has great workouts for every fitness level (senior to advanced and even chair)to include strength training/weight lifting, cardio, rehabilitation, and high/low impact workouts on YouTube. I supplement these workouts with Zumba and water aerobics, but they could easily be your entire program as they frequently add new workouts a few times a month. Check it out!
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions @lovesretirement!
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, how many calories do you allow yourselves per day. I tried restricting to 1200, not always doable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Hello ladies, how many calories do you allow yourselves per day. I tried restricting to 1200, not always doable.

My goal is 1850 + exercise but actual maintenance is 2000 or so + exercise. (Right now I'm trying for a slow loss to make up for over-indulgence in recent months, but my general maintenance strategy is to eat a little under most days in order to indulge on occasional days).

Most of my initial 50 pounds or so loss was at 1400-1600 plus exercise.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    My maintenance cal is 1700, which I have been living on since last Nov but decided to start eating at a deficit again started last Monday, so it's 1440 for 1/2 lb/wk. Did great the first 3 days & yesterday I was just hungry. I did lose almost 1 lb this week tho. I also got sick again & finished another round of antibiotics so I'll be working out again soon
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/the above; you don't want to under eat for your body's needs. You may want to re-adjust your cals up some (depending on your height, etc). Read on some fitness sight that you don't want to set your cals too low when first starting on a program; doesn't leave much wiggle room when you get closer to your goal and need to cut back more to lose the last few lbs. I'm 60+, in maintenance and eat close to 1700 cals a day; but I lift weights three days a week. Experiment and see what happens. If you're hungry a lot may mean you're under eating. Good luck.
  • tlawsonlpn3
    tlawsonlpn3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is this group still going? The posts look old. I am 55 and and BEYOND frustrated with trying to lose #. I have never had a weigh problem but I can not manage to get these 15 pounds off.been trying for 2 years. As of Feb started really working out and tracking cals. I am now running 2-4 miles daily, keeping cals at or below 1200 (other than cheat days) and nothing!!! I am more fit and energized now but this is rediculous. 150 lbs does not seem unreasonable, just appearantly, imposible. Thanks ladies for sharing!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I check in on this group from time to time. The less you have to lose, the longer it seems to take. You seem to be doing the right thing. Just keep at it - it WILL happen!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Is this group still going? The posts look old. I am 55 and and BEYOND frustrated with trying to lose #. I have never had a weigh problem but I can not manage to get these 15 pounds off.been trying for 2 years. As of Feb started really working out and tracking cals. I am now running 2-4 miles daily, keeping cals at or below 1200 (other than cheat days) and nothing!!! I am more fit and energized now but this is rediculous. 150 lbs does not seem unreasonable, just appearantly, imposible. Thanks ladies for sharing!

Welcome!

The thread started a long time ago, but the most recent post was only 2 days ago: We're still here.

Don't be discouraged: The last pounds are more challenging for many people.

In particular, for those using calorie counting, the margin for accuracy gets tighter, especially if we're (sensibly) trying to lose the last few pounds at 0.5 pounds/week or slower. Not knowing how new you are to this, I'll add some particulars that I (and others) have noted:

* Normal daily weight fluctuations (mostly water weight) can mask a slow loss rate. A weight trending app can be a help (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight).
    * Cheat days or meals can easily wipe out other days' calorie deficits. Eating over routine goal on some days can be a hrlpful strategy, but logging it, even if estimated, can help reveal the impact.
    * For those not already doing it, weighing food, when practical, is a good source of insight. Once you know the tricks, it's also quicker and easier than measuring cups, and definitely more accurate than either cups or eyeballing.

If your running routine just started in February, you could still be holding onto a bit of "new workout routine" water weight. This is as perfectly normal and healthy thing, but as I mentioned earlier, it can temporarily hide your far loss from you.

Best wishes!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    took me months to lose 2 lbs (8 more to go)
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and have been back on MFP since New Years. By the end of February I had lost 10 lbs. This probably was due to losing extra holiday weight gain -- not to mention, I decided to do Dry January, and then just kept going. Not being a heavy drinker, it did not seem necessary to make this change before, but now, even though I thought I enjoyed my wine o'clock times, I find the AF (alcohol-free) lifestyle is preferable. Decided also not to eat at a deficit, but at maintenance for my ideal weight (1800 calories). However, I was very inactive for several reasons, and did not eat up to that level most of the time, but generally was around 1500 calories or less. Now, the scale hasn't shown any loss for the last 3 weeks, but there have been a lot of poor dietary choices that would account for that.

Nonetheless, I have been logging faithfully as possible, and I think it helps to keep things from going too far out of control. I am inspired -- again! --- by the ladies above, and finally walked my *kitten* to the gym! Before that -- again, for many "reasons" -- I was at a point of thinking I should cancel my membership because I wasn't using it. However, the rate is very good, and I enjoy it when I'm there, but it was necessary to go after a hiatus and break the ice again. Glad I did.
  • spande345
    spande345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by all your stories. I can't seem to lose a single ounce of weight even with deliberate tracking.
    I think it is the home made Indian food which contains 15 ingredients and I am not sure the food entries I make are accurate. Help!!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    spande345 wrote: »
    I am amazed by all your stories. I can't seem to lose a single ounce of weight even with deliberate tracking.
    I think it is the home made Indian food which contains 15 ingredients and I am not sure the food entries I make are accurate. Help!!

How much are you wanting to lose?

Sometimes just cutting out certain foods or cutting back on portion sizes can help.
  • Skyweigh
    edited March 2018
    Options

We eat a lot of Indian (Pakistani) food, but I modified the way it is made it for the sake of my husband's heart and cholesterol issues (not to mention my own overweight!).

If you do make it yourself, then try frying the onions with less (half) the oil you normally would use, and use the recipe builder on MFP. I realize these foods need oil/ghee to carry the deliciousness, the flavour of blended spices, garlic, ginger, etc. In some ways, this food is very economical budget-wise and calorie wise, as you can use minimal meat, and increase the vegetables of all kinds, and a small amount can be satisfying. Of course, one does have to minimize or cut out the deep fried samosas and pakoras, but these can also be prepared with less oil and baked. I think all this food will sit better with most people with greatly reduced amounts of fats used.

You can check for recipes online for healthier versions of your favourites.

However, if you are not satisfied with the versions of Indian food modified for calorie control, or if you do not cook it yourself, or cannot ask the person cooking it to control the amount of oil used, then you need to minimalize portion sizes -- of course, best to always be mindful of portion sizes. I know that I can do with less of most things and still be satisfied, and this is something I really have to work on myself!
  • spande345
    Options
    thanks for all your replies: mreichert59, skyweigh and bikecheryl. I am at 152 and only 5'.1". I need to lose 30 pounds to feel good about my weight. I am maintaining it by logging what I eat and water aerobics 3 times a week plus walks around the neighborhood. I want to find a more accurate way of what the recipe counts for. Ex. cauliflower and potato subji ( Indian) made with a table spoon of oil) should have how many calories say for a cup?
    Can anyone help me with that? Much appreciated.
  • Skyweigh
    edited March 2018
    Options
    thanks for all your replies: mreichert59, skyweigh and bikecheryl. I am at 152 and only 5'.1". I need to lose 30 pounds to feel good about my weight. I am maintaining it by logging what I eat and water aerobics 3 times a week plus walks around the neighborhood. I want to find a more accurate way of what the recipe counts for. Ex. cauliflower and potato subji ( Indian) made with a table spoon of oil) should have how many calories say for a cup?
    Can anyone help me with that? Much appreciated.

I think there is a thread that will help explain further how to do this. In addition there is a recipe thread/food and nutrition section.

You have to determine the number of servings ... so if you make 4 cups at a time (4 servings) you input everything in the manual entry for Recipes on this site under the food tab -- I don't know if you can do this on mobile -- I use desktop for it.... You can also import recipes but it never works for me; I just use manual entry, and carefully look at the "matched" ingredients, and replace them when necessary.

As a for instance: For your Subji, I input 1 large cauliflower, 3 medium potatoes, 1 T oil, 1 medium raw onion, 5 cloves garlic (I forgot ginger, but not too many calories in ginger!) and garam masala (most spices aren't high in calories, but you can add whatever you use)..... Calculated on 4 servings --- it comes only to 183 per serving --- not bad, but if you use tomato paste, or Patak's paste or whatever, you add that in too. One tablespoon of oil for 4 servings is very modest; it can still be good, but you could add more.
    Then you calculate for your rice or naan.

As I said, there is more helpful info elsewhere on MFP about using these features, but the above is just an example. The more accurate you are, the more accurate your calorie count. It takes a bit of time, but I have found it really gives insight into what we use in our cooking.
  • spande345
    Options
    Thanks so much Skyweigh!! I am feeling encouraged. Maybe I will try to find recipes that tell me the calorie content and make them exactly like that. Nowadays, we don't always find recipes with calorie content.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!