Options

Replies

• Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    babbsann wrote: »
    ?
    It can be done... I have a really bad hip and it is very painful. I am 58. I have lost two stone (28 pounds) in a year - very slow progress but at least in the right direction. This has been mainly without exercise. My Fitness Pal has been really helpful. I have also cut back a lot on alcohol and the extra calories saved more than make up for the lack of wine - at least during weekdays. The lovely thing is that I was on a recent holiday where I had not seen people there for a year and EVERYONE commented on my weight loss and were really encouraging and it was lovely to have my holiday clothes fit and even be a little loose!

Find some form of exercise you enjoy - but don't overdo it as I did. Look at some weight training to tighten things up and some cardio but, again in moderation. Not everyone will agree with this advice but the damage I did to myself was due to overtraining about 5 years ago! Please be careful and good luck. Feel free to friend me if you like.

Congratulations "FattieBabs" on your weight loss.
    My experience agrees with you, too. I'd always liked to exercise, and mostly had been able to get through aches and pains without too much trouble. Now I've had rather debilitating pain in my hip that is mostly what has limited my exercising as before. I've decided also to completely cut out alcohol (wine) and just keep my calories at no more than maintenance level, although I've been rather inactive, so haven't really needed to eat those. In 7 weeks I've lost 9 and a half pounds. However, I think the top ten pounds happened rather recently from lots of wine and snacks (chips!) over the holidays. During the past couple of years my enthusiasm for exercise has been dampened by considerably annoying pain as my reward. In the old days we'd say listen to your body, etc. -- but nowadays my body doesn't always tell me at the time that I'm overdoing it, lol. That's why for some people, a little bit of exercies, maybe even less than best effort, with consistency may be the key to begin. However, the mentality at the gym, etc is to push, do a little more, etc. --- even in yoga class, for goodness' sake! Not good. I've done yoga all my life, but now some very basic exercises exacerbate pain. I still do it, because I believe in it,but go very easy, even though not really in pace with the teacher. I am also going to work on some basic weight training, elliptical and walking, and see how it goes.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Very interesting posts. I can't wait to get the hip op out of the way and my life back. I agree about yoga! I have tried it and it helps a bit but again people keep pushing me to the limit. Gentle walking is about all I can do and some stretching. It is so frustrating. Stairs are a nightmare......I have recently set MFP to lose 1.5 lbs a week and this is restricting me to 1200-1300 cals a day which I don't like but if it gets me to the weight I need to impress the Consultant and get a date for the op, then I will do pretty much anything to achieve this!
  • Skyweigh
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    However, I do worry that some our age (I'm 62), and the world around us even more so, set very low long term expectations for us. I think that if we use the patience, discipline and insight we've developed over a lifetime, insightfully recognize what specific activities we can safely do, then move that along in a patient, gradual, disciplined, persistent way, we can achieve things that will make us surprise ourselves and others around us. I've seen others here accomplish amazing things.

Everyone has different goals, and it's wonderful that you have achieved amazingly well, but it does not mean that everyone else can do the same as you. What does it matter if their long term goals are short? They can always be revised. There are those for whom setting any kind of self-improvement goal (achievable for that person) is a major step forward; I think people often do surprise themselves and move on to greater heights, once gaining a little confidence in their abilities.

For instance, if a woman has 100 lbs to lose, and has trouble walking to the end of their driveway, they may want to set a long-term goal like running a BQ marathon as a motivator. However, another woman (same circumstances) may want to walk around the block daily at a weight of 20 lbs less. Once that is achieved, she may want increase the distance/speed/weight loss in increments -- and eventually decides to train for the marathon....Doesn't the second woman have the same chance of achieving the marathon as the first in running the BQ? It's all just different self-management styles, I think.

Perhaps I agree more with the part about expectations from others "the world around us even more so" --- and thenthose who set themselves up for fantastic achievements may be rewarded then they surprise everyone.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs, I wouldn't let people push me past what I know I can do. If you're healthy and don't have issues push yourself, but if you have back, hip, etc. issues you know what you can and can't do. Just because something isn't cut & bleeding doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. I have issues w/my back and know how to and not to push myself. I would personally tell the folks that are pushing me to politely take a hike (not trying to be ugly, but). Hope you get your hip fixed soon; take care!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,179 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    However, I do worry that some our age (I'm 62), and the world around us even more so, set very low long term expectations for us. I think that if we use the patience, discipline and insight we've developed over a lifetime, insightfully recognize what specific activities we can safely do, then move that along in a patient, gradual, disciplined, persistent way, we can achieve things that will make us surprise ourselves and others around us. I've seen others here accomplish amazing things.

Everyone has different goals, and it's wonderful that you have achieved amazingly well, but it does not mean that everyone else can do the same as you. What does it matter if their long term goals are short? They can always be revised. There are those for whom setting any kind of self-improvement goal (achievable for that person) is a major step forward; I think people often do surprise themselves and move on to greater heights, once gaining a little confidence in their abilities.

For instance, if a woman has 100 lbs to lose, and has trouble walking to the end of their driveway, they may want to set a long-term goal like running a BQ marathon as a motivator. However, another woman (same circumstances) may want to walk around the block daily at a weight of 20 lbs less. Once that is achieved, she may want increase the distance/speed/weight loss in increments -- and eventually decides to train for the marathon....Doesn't the second woman have the same chance of achieving the marathon as the first in running the BQ? It's all just different self-management styles, I think.

Perhaps I agree more with the part about expectations from others "the world around us even more so" --- and thenthose who set themselves up for fantastic achievements may be rewarded then they surprise everyone.

I agree with you, actually . . . so I'm probably not communicating skillfully.

I'm simply trying to encourage folks not to set their expectations arbitrarily or artificially low "because we're old".

Personally, I'm not goal oriented. I have no long term goals. But I believe in working at things that interest and challenge me now, while keeping an open (and hopeful) mind about future potential and directions.

I don't mean to suggest that others should have any particular long-term goals . . . I'm only suggesting that they explore over time to find their personal, individual limits in the context of their goals, rather than assuming (based on current capabilities) what those limits might be.

I believe in finding "can'ts" via (careful) experience with trying things we each would like to do, rather than assuming them as limitations. That's where surprises happen.

Each of us has her (or his) own best path, self-defined. I don't intend or wish to prescribe a particular one.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    As we age it becomes, admittedly, a bit more difficult to get our bodies in sync with our minds and what we'd like to do or who we want to become. Sometimes it's injuries or illness and other times extra weight makes it difficult. In my mind, the thing to remember is that whatever limitations we have now, or had in the past, they don't necessarily predict an immobile future. We can change our physical destiny with careful planning and heeding our little inner voice that warns us when we're pushing a bit too hard.

I started taking my health and fitness back about 4 1/2 years ago and have finally progressed to a place where I'm comfortable with my weight, my body and my activity level. Honestly, it was a lot of trial and error and there were times I pushed too hard and injured myself but didn't give up or let the injuries ruin my motivation. I worked through them. At one point, I let a shoulder injury go too long trying to work through it and ended up with frozen shoulder. Put me out of commission as far as weight lifting (my favorite form of exercise) for about 4 months and 10 weeks of physical therapy. The therapist told me he thought he could bring me back to about 90% but I worked really hard and managed to come all the way back.

Since I couldn't lift weights I decided to start running. I'm not sure why, because I never enjoyed running, but for some reason because I was hooked on exercise I decided to give it a try. The first couple of weeks were awful and I hated it but I kept trying until it gradually became enjoyable. About 4 months in I ran a 5K and began training for a 10K and then boom.............my knee gave out on me..........LOL. A shot of cortisone helped but I was not allowed to run for awhile.

Fortunately by then my shoulder was healed and I was able to go back to lifting weights and swimming (something I've always enjoyed). Long story short I guess is that even though I was injured and quite discouraged sometimes with my body and the way it wasn't cooperating I still tried to find something I could do. Exercise has become a fact of life for me after all this time...............I really can't live without it, at least not happily.

I think if you think about other women or men you might know in our age group, or perhaps a bit older, and see how immobile some of them are that should be enough motivation to get moving. You may not be able to run a marathon or lift a 200 lb bar off the ground but you can do something. We all have limitations, more of them as we age, but we shouldn't let those define us!
  • Skyweigh
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I think I wrote before considering your previous post more carefully. Thank you for your comments -- and I couldn't agree with you more!
    luluinca wrote: »
    I think if you think about other women or men you might know in our age group, or perhaps a bit older, and see how immobile some of them are that should be enough motivation to get moving. You may not be able to run a marathon or lift a 200 lb bar off the ground but you can do something. We all have limitations, more of them as we age, but we shouldn't let those define us!

Yours is is also very inspiring feedback; and it has made me think of my own stepmom who is 87 and really has let her ideas about limitations cage and enfeeble her --- much more than necessary (my opinion). Of course, this is a different age group than we are talking about here, but the same advice applies. Thanks.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise but I'm getting over pneumonia, so have to wait a bit longer before I feel up to it
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too believe in keeping a positive spin on what we are doing health wise- I set goals or ideas as to what I want to achieve then I work toward those ideas and even IF I have to revise those ideas a little(due to some physical constraints- I am still doing more than if I were just sitting here doing nothing. Healthy eating most of the time- and physical movements as much as possible equal- awesomeness-
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    I can totally relate to the way luluinca feels. It's one reason I tend to stay away from the more "mature" age groups om MFP for this very reason. Let's face it, once you get to a certain age, we ALL have issues aches, pains, surgeries, conditions, etc. Suck it up, give it your best and keep moving!!!! Luluinca, I think you're my new "hero!"

That is sooooo true. I went to a diabetes support group last night and all I heard was excuses as to why they can't exercise....why they cant eat nutritionally....why they cannot control their issues. I just wanted to walk out screaming!
    So nice to see and experience others in this age group who do not focus on ailments and excuses!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Ann, it's interesting, and one of the best things about MFP is that I CAN discuss my physical goals, exercise routines, nutrition etc here and only here. I never discuss what I do at the gym or how many miles I'm running or what I'm eating and not eating in real life. I will if someone seems genuinely interested or wants to try to get moving or lose weight and is curious how I did it, but otherwise, I figure they're not the least bit interested and I'm honestly not interested in hearing all about their latest doctor's visit either. We all have children and grandchildren, hobbies in common, projects we're working on etc that we can chat about. Even going back and laughing about some of the dumb things we did 40 years ago is more interesting and laughable at least.

I feel like we've all turned into my parents...............something I said I'd never do.............LOL

You have no idea how many times I changed the subject the other night but somehow the conversation always went back to medical crap. I was truly discouraged. I think it's time I try harder to cultivate new fitness oriented friends.......LOL
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    I can totally relate to the way luluinca feels. It's one reason I tend to stay away from the more "mature" age groups om MFP for this very reason. Let's face it, once you get to a certain age, we ALL have issues aches, pains, surgeries, conditions, etc. Suck it up, give it your best and keep moving!!!! Luluinca, I think you're my new "hero!"

So true!
    Yes, I am 60 years old; yes, I have health issues - but neither of those things define the person that I am. I am grateful for the blessings that I have and am going to do my darndest to keep fit and healthy and live every minute of my life.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/all the above!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!