55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,295 Member
    Options
    I turn 65 next month and have the most weight to lose that I have ever had. I was suppose to start on MFP in January but it took me 10 weeks to finally get going. I am really good with excuses. After the first day of logging all of my food, I was once again shocked at how much I was eating. This is my husband's and my 4th time to use MFP. I haven't even been exercising because I am afraid that I will hurt myself because of my size. Teaching school does keep me on my feet but it is not enough to help my body. There is 50 excess pounds that I need to get rid of and I am so glad that I am finally on my journey. I am 5'9" and weighing in at 190 pounds. I know that I can do this!

Starting with gentle exercise and increasing gradually can be an effective strategy, even while carrying extra weight. At 5'5", weight in 180s, at age 45 & just post cancer treatment, I went from weak and sedentary to a competitive athlete (rower) over about a 2-3 year period, while remaining obese.

What was key was to start with something safe and achievable, yet slightly challenging. For me, the first step was gentle yoga classes, leading later to a well-supervised group weight training class for women, and still later to rowing. But I've seen others do well starting with water walking, or chair fitness videos, and other things. There are lots of options!

Weight loss can happen via eating changes alone, but exercise has many benefits. With careful progression, and patient consistency, you could surprise yourself. :)

Welcome, and best wishes!
  • NewBetterBest18
    NewBetterBest18 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just measured my height for the first time in years! At 60 yrs old. I've shrunk from 5ft/6in. down to 5ft/5in . So now when I input that info into MFP I've gone from 1390 cals/day down to 1210 cals/day. Maybe that's why I was on a plateau for the past few months. So far I've lost 54 lbs. I still have 18 more to go. You ladies are correct. The less you weigh, the less calories we need. I've also started with weights on top of my 3X a week zumba classes.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    NewBetter, The weights will help; although they may slow the weight loss progress slightly. With weights you will be replacing fat with muscle (which takes up less space), so your measurements will probably change while your weight may not change. But, you will be getting smaller. Also, your form with the weights is more important than how much you are lifting. Keep up the good work and good luck on your journey. B)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    53elliebell, You'll make it! Remember it is a journey, not a "diet" w/an end date; you'll have bumps along the way (just get back on track). We are all here for each other! Good luck on your journey!
  • javacreek
    javacreek Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    With a new month ready to begin. It would be great to resurrect this thread!! :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    spande345 wrote: »
    I am amazed by all your stories. I can't seem to lose a single ounce of weight even with deliberate tracking.
    I think it is the home made Indian food which contains 15 ingredients and I am not sure the food entries I make are accurate. Help!!
    I use the recipe builder with great success. I have also uploaded recipes from the internet, lots of them upload easily and you can then ensure ingredients are matched correctly, adjust amounts etc if you have tweaked the recipe.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    javacreek wrote: »
    With a new month ready to begin. It would be great to resurrect this thread!! :)

I concur! I'll do a catch up post. Still in maintenance, successful, and still over 55-65 years old. Maybe more people will check in.

Hey, everybody -- where are you? Piano Run (the original poster), I forget your new name; are you still out there?
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I will check in and update too. Have been maintaining for a year now with a 45 pound loss. (60 pounds from my highest). Will be 60 in a couple months. Have been running 5k & 10k on a regular schedule every couple days.

Just completed my yearly health assessment and my cholesterol is a little high. Will concentrate on more fiber and red 🍷 to try an get it down.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I use the recipe builder with great success. I have also uploaded recipes from the internet, lots of them upload easily and you can then ensure ingredients are matched correctly, adjust amounts etc if you have tweaked the recipe.

I too use the recipe builder all the time - weighing the total product in grams to measure to number of servings (so 100 grams equals 100 servings). It’s helped me lose 40+ lbs and maintain for 5 years. 63 and 7/12’s, galloping towards my 64th Birthday!!
    ETA - it has meant I’ve been able to continue to enjoy all my favourite foods, in moderation. I also run, do Pilates, Yoga and Body Pump.
    This is one of my favourite threads ...
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    i am so glad we resurrected this post. I am still here and still losing slowly. I set myself to lose 1/2 pound a week which is around 1300 calories with mfp. When I exercise which is usually walking each day- I eat back about half the calories so far I do fairly well. I love it because this makes me accountable.so far i mainly walk or do youtube videos for exercise.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!