55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    Well my friends while I am so inspired by all these great stories, I am getting discouraged. I am stuck. Each week I vow to faithfully record my intake and output and each week I am unrewarded by weight loss. I average about 1500 to 1600 of calorie intake a day and 2200 out with exercise and basal requirements. I obviously must not be recording accurately. I have a fitbit and a fitness monitor so I feel confident my exercise calories are correct. I guess on the plus side, I am not gaining! Each week I start anew. I will continue to look for inspiration from all of you.
    Are you weighing your food ? Sometimes this is the tool that most ppl don't utilize. I know that once I started logging this way, I was able to shred some light on my stall.....
    93058 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread. I just turned 57 and have been overweight for most of my adulthood. Been dabbling in my fitness pal but never had long term success. I never joined a group and would get discouraged quickly. You guys are an inspiration to me and would love to continue with you. This is day 8 for me logging my food. I have managed to stay between 1500-1600 calories.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have had success dropping weight in the last few months. Like so many, I have had such a problem with weight maintenance, so that's the new trick I'm trying to learn. I reset my loss goal to .5 a week, as I am now at the top of the BMI recommendation. So, I would like to lose a few more, but really am just glad to have my energy back, and have the clothes fit better. Went through long periods of time when I would just log on here to see how others are doing. It wasn't effective until I challenged myself to meet the daily goals. Now it's a game to see if I can keep under.......Might be a little obsessive about it. :o
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    93058 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. I just turned 57 and have been overweight for most of my adulthood. Been dabbling in my fitness pal but never had long term success. I never joined a group and would get discouraged quickly. You guys are an inspiration to me and would love to continue with you. This is day 8 for me logging my food. I have managed to stay between 1500-1600 calories.

You CAN do it!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    krenwren, Try not eating back all your exercise calories and check your sugar intake (you may be eating more than you think). Watching the sugar intake (naturally occurring & added) was what really worked for me; lost 12 lbs doing this. The original intent was only lose abt seven or eight. I'd lost abt three lbs and stayed stuck for abt six weeks, then I cut back on the sugar and the rest of it came off. Good luck and keep us posted. B)
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, especially @griffinca2 the sugar issue. I have been lax for sure. Does anyone have a good resource for food list by grams instead of calories?
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Today was a huge fail day for calories, mostly because I didn't walk enough and drank to much. Good thing tomorrow is a new day!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    krenwren; no, not that I know of, but you can select to show in MFP and after a while you kinda know if something is high in sugar. I try to keep mine between 45 & 60 gm a day (not always successful but I try). I haven't done an exhaustive search on line so there may be something out there. I'll look as well. Keep us posted. B)
  • AmandaGuitar
    AmandaGuitar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I am 60, and have had a few changes in my life recently (job change, income change, etc.) I have lost 61 pounds (17 before joining MFP). I'm a hearty eater with a fairly active lifestyle, and have successfully lost weight before but never kept it off. I have to realize that this an entire lifestyle change, not something with an end goal that I can reach, relax, and then revert to old habits. Diabetes runs in my family and I want to keep it at bay. I am losing VERY slowly, but surely! I am now in Onderland for the first time in over 22 years, and over the holidays I was able to buy clothes in a normal women's section. Overwhelming! I slip here and there, but it is not devastating as I just get back on track the next day. I feel wonderful, energetic, and better than I have in years. I vigorously exercise at least 5 times a week, and have embraced the over-used phrase of "use it or lose it". Only slacker part of my day is sitting in front of this computer reading the forums!

My mother in law did the same program I did and she lost 37 pounds in 12 weeks. She eats healthy portions and even has a cheat meal every week. This is a lifestyle.

Last year she had both of her knees replaced and she's still recovering so her mobility while increasing isn't to a place where she can't walk without a cane yet. She's 59 btw. If she can do it anyone can.

Don't get discouraged. It's ok to have slow results because they're still results....congratulations on your progress so far!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    AmandaGuitar & SbetaK, you're both right; I think that is were most people miss the boat. It is a lifestyle not a "diet" nor a project w/an end date. Make changes you can live with the rest of your life and if you fall off and eat something really decant get back on the wagon (so what if you ate it; ENJOY IT). Just don't throw in the towel because you did fall off. Take care and good luck! B)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    AmandaGuitar & SbetaK, you're both right; I think that is were most people miss the boat. It is a lifestyle not a "diet" nor a project w/an end date. ...

I believe most people understand that they're seeking a lifestyle change. The phrase is repeated like a mantra. It's simply hard to assimilate that you can no longer eat or act as you have in the past for the rest of your life. For some people, it finally kicks in.

• griffinca2
    Options
    Verdenal; True. But just as bad is saying "I'm on a diet and can't eat ________" (fill in the blank). It can still be eaten just not often and in smaller quantities. I think that is the hurdle most people have a hard time getting over (it's an "all or nothing" attitude). B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As my hair stylist reminds me (she is a little younger than we, is an MFPer and lost 85#), one salad will not make you thin and one cheeseburger will not make you fat!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Trick is to not go "whole hog" and try and change your exercise and eating habits over night. Small changes (that you know you will stick to) are better along w/foods you enjoy eating. If you can't stand asparagus or broccoli why try and eat it?? Just try to change to healthier versions of what you're eating now. Also, start out slow w/the weight training, etc. B)
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    As my hair stylist reminds me (she is a little younger than we, is an MFPer and lost 85#), one salad will not make you thin and one cheeseburger will not make you fat!
    Very True
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OK all here's my plan! One pound a week allows me 1460 a day. I walk 10000 steps a day. I work out at least 3 times a week. This is it!!!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You go @krenwren! You got this!
  • Arntydi
    Arntydi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 years old, and I live in the UK. I gained a lot of weight in recent years because I was getting no exercise due to health issues. When I reached 12st 12lb (180lb), I decided enough was enough. I bought myself an air walker last month, and I started using myfitnesspal soon after, and I've lost 12lb so far. I'm determined to lose the excess weight and get fitter, and keep it that way, so I'm in this for the long haul.

Diane
  • barbcfc
    barbcfc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will be 60 in April and have steadily gained weight over the years. I would like to lose 30lbs. More importantly I would like to feel better physically and emotionally. Walking will be the exercise I am able to do most consistently. I've never joined a forum before and have no idea what is going to happen to this post after I hit send! So, before I do let me just say to all of you I think you are awesome and inspiring! I am making s commitment to walking a minimum of 5 days a week.
  • Portious
    Portious Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    'There are many physical and emotional differences between women who have passed through menopause and those who are in their youth or who are pre-menopausal.... '

I couldn't agree more. I just turned 59 last month and I am still in disbelief.

I had a very early menopause in my very early forties in fact I didn't even know I had gone through it until my doctor at the time took a blood test and told me I was postmenopausal. No night sweats as I was always hot anyway (have always slept with a fan blowing on me even when slender) and seriously didn't have a clue although I should have known looking back because sometimes I was such a b**** at home.

I wasn't always fat (I have to keep telling myself this in order to motivate me) but after our first child was born I quit my day job at a financial services company and started working nights in Human Services by working in group homes for either the mentally ill or the mentally retarded and gained about ten pounds for every year. My entire body got screwed up from lack of sleep as I would get home at 12:00 - 12:30 am. I also 'inherited all of the the chores and errands to do as according to my husband I was 'home all day'. Plus always all my kids ever did was FIGHT which caused more stress causing me to overeat.

Face it but once you turn fifty you just don't have the stamina you had in your thirties and forties (at least for me).

I am so very glad and heartened that you posted this PianoRun as well as to you lovely ladies who responded.

- Portious

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!