55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    @bubbex2 Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @bubbex2 Sending positive thoughts, and thinking of you. I knit "knitted knockers" for charity, would be happy to do some for you if you end up needing them. PM me.

• bubbex2
    bubbex2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    deescrafty wrote: »
    @bubbex2 Sending positive thoughts, and thinking of you. I knit "knitted knockers" for charity, would be happy to do some for you if you end up needing them. PM me.

Would you be offended if I said i didn't know what that was?
    I'm doing ok after second surgery on Friday. I can't wait until I can take the bandages off later and wash my hair!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Verdenal; True. But just as bad is saying "I'm on a diet and can't eat ________" (fill in the blank). It can still be eaten just not often and in smaller quantities. I think that is the hurdle most people have a hard time getting over (it's an "all or nothing" attitude). B)

Unfortunately, I really do much better with an almost all or nothing attitude. I don't do well with moderation.

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ahhh stupid moderation! it's a curse. unfortuntely having tried many eating strategies that limit food groups and such, i find that just not eating is the way to lose. By that I mean limiting calories not a certain food group. It's slow and painful but ultimately successful. What I need to get better at is not wasting my calories on junk.
  • jodya56
    jodya56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If only I could moderate. Been fighting this battle since I got hips in 5th grade. I'm 57 and heavier than ever. Even tho I'm overweight I've been lucky but lately don't feel good and feel my luck is running out. Been on MFP for three weeks and have lost 8 lbs. it's a good start but I have a LONG way to go. Small steps.

Nice to have support from people here. Read a lot of your stories and it's great to hear success stories from those who've been there

J
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. Moderation worked for me and I am Mrs. Compulsive. Maybe I took the moderation into my compulsions. Whatever, it worked for me. Have managed to lose 70#. Maybe because I have overdone the exercise side of things. OK, never mind :wink:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Oh, wow. Moderation worked for me and I am Mrs. Compulsive. Maybe I took the moderation into my compulsions. Whatever, it worked for me. Have managed to lose 70#. Maybe because I have overdone the exercise side of things. OK, never mind :wink:

I'll chime in with a vote for moderation as well -- that and working the calories in / calories out numbers. Once I figured out how the numbers worked I was able to successfully lose weight. I eat anything I want; I just have to be careful about my sodium intake, which is a pain, but doable.

For me, exercise is an important component as well. Staying active keeps me healthy along with calorie counting. I'm sleeping so much better when I make sure that I'm active all day. The more you do the better you feel.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »

I'll chime in with a vote for moderation as well -- that and working the calories in / calories out numbers. Once I figured out how the numbers worked I was able to successfully lose weight. I eat anything I want; I just have to be careful about my sodium intake, which is a pain, but doable.

For me, exercise is an important component as well. Staying active keeps me healthy along with calorie counting. I'm sleeping so much better when I make sure that I'm active all day. The more you do the better you feel.

Sounds just like my plan. And it works. I have lost 40 lbs at 68 years old. Just by cutting amount eaten and increasing activity. It can be done.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Sounds just like my plan. And it works. I have lost 40 lbs at 68 years old. Just by cutting amount eaten and increasing activity. It can be done.

Hey, V! Yup, I'm 66 and down over 50 lbs. Portion control is key for me, so that's another component to losing weight and staying healthy. It's so simply elegant -- yet people make it so complicated, I think. You have to measure your calories, control your portions, and exercise for optimum health. OK, done preachin' LOL!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the positive reports on losing through moderation. Well done!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Hey, V! Yup, I'm 66 and down over 50 lbs. Portion control is key for me, so that's another component to losing weight and staying healthy. It's so simply elegant -- yet people make it so complicated, I think. You have to measure your calories, control your portions, and exercise for optimum health. OK, done preachin' LOL!

Amen, sister. Good job. Some people use age as an excuse ( not talking about people with REAL health issues). I am not giving in to old age until it is forced on me.

• Proudmimi4
    Proudmimi4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I will be 67 in November. About four years ago I lost 40 pounds and one day my want to just left and I have gained it all back. This past year has been very hard for me since for the first time ever our daughters and their families are living in three different cities. I have drowned my sorrow in food and not taking care of myself. I decided 10/1 that I was tired of it but then broke m
    Two of my toes and sidetracked my progress. But I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided not to wait until the first of the year and today is as good of day as any. Could use all the accountability as I can get.m
  • jodya56
    jodya56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So encouraging to hear success
    Stories! I really need to make healthy life changes. For some reason this time feels different. Was off all week and went on a major cleaning binge. The most activity I've had in a long time. Maybe just the jump start I needed to being more active along with tracking food.

Thanks to everyone For motivation and support

• AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 60 years old. I am trying to lose about 25lbs. I am doing it very slow because the skin at this age isn't as resilient as our younger days. The last thing I want is baggy skin because I lost weight too fast and my skin couldn't keep up. I lost 4 lbs in October and I am happy with that. I am lifting weights so that should help.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Amy, Believe it or not, the weights will get you where you need to go! Cardio (no more than 15 - 30 min) is good for your heart, but lifting the weights will help to build muscle (p.s. you won't get big), which burns calories, and will help somewhat w/the sagging skin. That, and it is good for your bones to boot! I weight train three days a week w/abt 20 min of cardio after my weight session (and I'm 65). B)
  • MorningJogging
    MorningJogging Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I successfully managed my BMI down to 22.2 kilograms for many years. At the age of 51, my BMI was reached to 25.8, and I was told my cholesterol was a bit high. So I decided to go on Diet & Exercising. It's been 20 days exactly while I've lost 2 kg already. Another 6 kg to go! Won't be easy, I know. The key to success is to keep recording daily what I eat and how I exercise.
  • MorningJogging
    MorningJogging Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Once the weight is down. For maintaining it, I wouldn't usually bother too much recording.

99097600.png
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Has anyone experienced low blood pressure after losing weight? Ive lost 30 lbs and my normally lower pressure went down even more and its been frustrating with light headedness!!!
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Eleted wrote: »
    Good morning. Has anyone experienced low blood pressure after losing weight? Ive lost 30 lbs and my normally lower pressure went down even more and its been frustrating with light headedness!!!

Be sure you are drinking enough fluids (and remember that some beverages are slightly diuretic, so hydrate with water as much as possible). If sodium is not a problem, make sure you don't go too low on salt, as it will help hold onto fluids and increase your blood volume. Best to get checked out by your doc, too.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!