55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 61 and lost 134 lbs 21 years ago. Back injury and just getting lazy about watching portions added 60 back on. Since January 1st I've lost 69 pounds. It can be done but takes great motivation. I only started MFP recently and love the tracking of calories carbs and fat grams. I weigh in daily and generally eat between 750-850 calories. I struggle to eat my 1000 calories a day! I only do walking for exercise due to back injury but it works for me. 11 more to my goal. Slow and steady is the best.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sharon. I only walked for quite some time. It works!!! I have added other exersizes but walking is the best fallback!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 51 and post-menopausal and I can't say that losing weight is harder now since I always found it challenging. I think the biggest adjustment for me was the "shape shift" and lose of muscle tone issues that go with aging. It was odd to look at myself and see that my waist was disappearing. I also decided "batwings" were something I could not live with and I have shifted my focus to lifting while still doing a fair bit of cardio (mainly spinning). On the less vain side I looked around and saw that some of my only slightly older friends were starting to complain about bad knees, poor flexibility etc. and I didn't want to follow in their foot steps. At the end of day the tools for losing weight don't change much as we age but the need for exercise to keep our metabolism fired up and our muscle tone and flexibility maintained/increased becomes paramount. Our quality of life is dependent on fitness as much (perhaps more) than maintaining a healthy weight. Few of us aspire to be thin and frail - we want to be strong and powerful. Personally I want to spend the next ten years working toward looking as hot and sexy as middlehaitch does in her photo standing next to the Christmas tree - in my mind I already have my own little black dress picked out for the occasion!

Yes. Middlehaitch. She is totally amazing.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    just checking in with everyone! no progress but feeling OK. exercising a lot so even without weight loss, I feel good!
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Back on track after Thanksgiving weekend. Mild temps in the Midwest has allowed me to continue my outdoor hikes Holding at my 30 lb weight loss. Hoping to lose a few more before the holidays That may be a fantasy.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Back on track after Thanksgiving weekend. Mild temps in the Midwest has allowed me to continue my outdoor hikes Holding at my 30 lb weight loss. Hoping to lose a few more before the holidays That may be a fantasy.

Great loss. Maintenance will be a win for December but a loss will be wonderful too.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    As to exercise, I started out walking. When the weather got cold, my husband bought me a combination elliptical/stationary bike. Cheap at Walmart. I use that bad boy every day. I discovered jessicasmithtv on youtube for walking and strength videos. I discovered in the last few months that I love running! Try what you can and stick with what you like/love.

I went over to youtube and checked out JessicaSmithTV after reading this; the Walk On 21 Day Plan seems like something I'm looking for - have you tried this?

One of my legs has been bothering me from the knee down after doing C25K on my treadmill back on Thanksgiving; I've been looking for some fill-in aerobic activity. This morning I got out an aerobics DVD, but the moves were hard to do on carpet. Her moves look more "knee-lifty" than "pivoty" or "grape-viney" :smiley:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Also checking in. I've lost about 2 lbs over the last 2 1/2 months -- so close to maintenance so that's the reason for slow loss; down 51 lbs so far. Probably won't lose much, if anything, until after the 1st of the year. It's all good. Taking a diet break (no gym, eating at maintenance but still walking, etc.) for the 1st week of January, 16. Then back to a slight deficit for another 3 - 4 lb loss.

@Triplestep - I haven't tried the Walk On 21 Day Plan but I only do low impact cardio because of age and knees. Let us know how you like the Walk On thing.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Howdy do, all of you. :) I think I've only contributed to this thread once or twice, but I read it faithfully and it always inspires me.

I'm so glad today to see some of you kind of "accepting" no or little loss for the holidays, and just maintaining if possible. I turned 60 in early November, and I have kind of changed my attitude a little bit since then, kind of along those same lines. I think this has to do with the fact that I have been doing this now for over a year, almost eight months on MFP, and have seen slow but fairly steady progress (with a few stalls), so that, even when I get frustrated, I know that what I am doing is actually working. So I decided to lighten up on myself a bit, and went on a four-day mini-vacation for my birthday, eating whatever I wanted, while still watching my intake a little. I accepted that I would gain some weight then, and just got right back on my program after.

On Thanksgiving morning, I hit another "decade" victory - down from 230 pounds to 170 pounds. :smiley: I then decided to do the same "acceptance" thing with Thanksgiving, and now, a week later, I am back at the same weight I was that morning. I am going to "relax" for the holidays too - I'll follow my plan as usual, as well as I can, but I will also let myself enjoy the holidays the same way I have done for the last two, and I have the confidence that I will continue on my merry MFP way after they are over.

I guess that's the important part to me - that I have gained confidence in my ability to stick to this process or program, whatever you want to call it, and, even with setbacks and stalls, I have no doubts in my ability to lose the next 35 or so pounds.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this thread, it is very helpful and inspirational. Happy holidays! :)

icfy40642vbt.jpg
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Struggling to lose 25 pounds for the past year, I am getting depressed at times about it as I exercise, spin, run and walk 5 - 6 days a week. I had my uterus removed at the age of 47 and that's when my metabolism slowed to a crawl and now menopause.

I am so glad I found this forum for women in my age group!!! I am hoping to gain some inspiration by reading these posts! Happy Holidays everyone.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    This3uaajb1iuxvz.jpeg
    This is me weighing in at 190.
    c9m902h2wax0.jpg
    This is me at 130ish. What a difference hard work and a few months make.
    Avatar is me at 118. If I can do it, so can you. Am 57 yrs. old.

you look great! thank you for the inspiration!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Piano Run (and everyone else) I am a 67 year old woman who has lost 25 lbs since Sept. Believe it or not, it can be done. I don't have a regular exercise program, I don't really like to go to the gym. I have increased my daily activity level and try to get around 10K steps most days. I always wear my fitbit.

I have never had success like this before. I basically cut all wheat and sugar and feel so much better. I am planning on adding some weight exercise after the New Year. While I am within 5 lbs of goal, I am hoping to just maintain my weightloss until after the holidays.

• hispraiseinme
    hispraiseinme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I too have be struggling to be 25-30 lbs I gained over past year. I was 7 lbs from goal a year ago. Self sabotage and now have this to lose. Looking for friends to support and encourage each other.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Howdy do, all of you. :) I think I've only contributed to this thread once or twice, but I read it faithfully and it always inspires me.

I'm so glad today to see some of you kind of "accepting" no or little loss for the holidays, and just maintaining if possible. I turned 60 in early November, and I have kind of changed my attitude a little bit since then, kind of along those same lines. I think this has to do with the fact that I have been doing this now for over a year, almost eight months on MFP, and have seen slow but fairly steady progress (with a few stalls), so that, even when I get frustrated, I know that what I am doing is actually working. So I decided to lighten up on myself a bit, and went on a four-day mini-vacation for my birthday, eating whatever I wanted, while still watching my intake a little. I accepted that I would gain some weight then, and just got right back on my program after.

On Thanksgiving morning, I hit another "decade" victory - down from 230 pounds to 170 pounds. :smiley: I then decided to do the same "acceptance" thing with Thanksgiving, and now, a week later, I am back at the same weight I was that morning. I am going to "relax" for the holidays too - I'll follow my plan as usual, as well as I can, but I will also let myself enjoy the holidays the same way I have done for the last two, and I have the confidence that I will continue on my merry MFP way after they are over.

I guess that's the important part to me - that I have gained confidence in my ability to stick to this process or program, whatever you want to call it, and, even with setbacks and stalls, I have no doubts in my ability to lose the next 35 or so pounds.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to this thread, it is very helpful and inspirational. Happy holidays! :)

icfy40642vbt.jpg

Wonderful and inspiring post. I agree that we can enjoy breaks from the low cal minimums we get when we are really watching it and the difference is we get right back with it when those occasions are over.

Let's enjoy our holidays and just not go crazy. We have all learned a lot in our older age. So actually you can teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of inspiration here. Good on us! I'm 71, overweight since grade school, with many diets, ups and downs of poundage over the years. Many times joining/rejoining Weight Watchers and other "plans" over the years also. Ten years ago I finally reached my WW goal (which I had set at the top of the range for my height). Within three years I had put back on 40 pounds. I had just retired with time on my hands, so began once again focusing on my health. So, back to WW. I found that I could no longer lose weight consistently, so I bit the bullet and began an exercise program. I joined the YMCA, took group classes, got a Fitbit and walked more. I immediately began to see a consistent one pound of weight loss each week at WW, and reached my goal weight in about 15 months. I continued and added to my exercise program: it's now an important part of my daily routine -- and vital to my weight management. So, today, I am 20 lbs below my WW Lifetime goal weight and feel more fit and confident than I ever did. I highly recommend trying group exercise classes at your local YMCA if you have one. I am fortunate that my health insurance covers my membership, as part of the Silver Sneakers program. Good luck everyone!
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    this is great! I was beginning to think i would not be able to get back into shape at my age. Feel free to add me too! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So, today, I am 20 lbs below my WW Lifetime goal weight and feel more fit and confident than I ever did.

Wow! That is remarkable! (I know they don't make it easy to reach Lifetime; WW helps a lot of people, but they are, after all, a business.) Congrats on all your effort - very inspiring.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I see there's a number of new people visiting this thread so here's some stuff to read to get you started:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    There's a ton of inspiration here. Good on us! I'm 71, overweight since grade school, with many diets, ups and downs of poundage over the years. Many times joining/rejoining Weight Watchers and other "plans" over the years also. Ten years ago I finally reached my WW goal (which I had set at the top of the range for my height). Within three years I had put back on 40 pounds. I had just retired with time on my hands, so began once again focusing on my health. So, back to WW. I found that I could no longer lose weight consistently, so I bit the bullet and began an exercise program. I joined the YMCA, took group classes, got a Fitbit and walked more. I immediately began to see a consistent one pound of weight loss each week at WW, and reached my goal weight in about 15 months. I continued and added to my exercise program: it's now an important part of my daily routine -- and vital to my weight management. So, today, I am 20 lbs below my WW Lifetime goal weight and feel more fit and confident than I ever did. I highly recommend trying group exercise classes at your local YMCA if you have one. I am fortunate that my health insurance covers my membership, as part of the Silver Sneakers program. Good luck everyone!

Congrats, I am a lifetime member but did it back in my 40s, I had found it didn't work for me either after I regained about 30 lbs.

I am having good results from Fitbit, Silver Sneakers classes, and logging. I was never good at logging so MFP helped a lot in that area. I have about 20 lbs. to go but since I started doing strength training, I am losing inches not pounds and loving the results of that. But I still want to get the scale heading downwards again.

Happy Hollies everyone!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is great to see so many new faces here. This thread is very non-threatening and non-judgmental!
    @Triplestep, I have not tried the 21 Day Walk on Plan. I am more of a random person and enjoy the strength videos more since I walk, run and have my elliptical.
    For me, exercise is the key. It boosts my metabolism (which was questionable a year or so ago) and I feel great! I went through all the holidays at 1300-1400 calories last year and survived. There are tons of recipes online that can help.
    You can do this!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!