55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Gdadki. I have lost 33 lbs since the end of May 2015. Slow and steady. Just follow MFP guidelines and exercise. I have just walked a ton. Another tool that has been a huge motivator is my Fitbit. I did get the Fitbit scale half-way through and that is fun as well. And lastly, I read the MFP message boards every morning to get me motivated for the day. Good luck. Happy, healthy New Year to all!!!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/Elated!! B)
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Gdadki. I have lost 33 lbs since the end of May 2015. Slow and steady. Just follow MFP guidelines and exercise. I have just walked a ton.
    That's really good to hear. I was reading some of the exercise physiology threads today and my head was spinning. I am not a math or tech dummy, either! I just know that if I over-complicate this for myself, I will fail and fail big (as I've done many times before.) Nothing against the folks who are successful attacking their weight loss with lots of data supporting them. :smile:

I'm on a kick now where I try to change up my cardio every day so there's no chance of my body getting too used to any one thing. We'll see how that goes - won't be weighing for a few days due to too much salt starting with Jewish Christmas Eve (Chinese food, of course!) and meals out the following two days.

• Hipchick0805
    Hipchick0805 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    bmartin466 wrote: »
    New to posting, but I have used MFP for 14 months. Since November 2013, I have lost 90 lbs. I am 68 years old, 5'1", and have two metal knees from total knee replacement. I try to walk two days a week and am really determined. My doctor is pleased, but my friends say I look "tired". Ha, no way, I'm on my way to my goal of 100 lbs.

wonderful for you! You must feel great. Ignore your friends and keep up your pursuit of good health!
    59 here and 5'8" - between 49-51 I quit a 30+ year cigarette addiction, hit 50 (obviously :) ) and went through menopause. Those were some years! The weight that had slowly been going up blossomed into 196 lbs 2 years ago. Some major tooth work (full dentures) and a move into my current home took away 10 of those pounds in the last 1 1/2. I did notice it was slowly coming back so when a new gym opened up last summer around the corner with membership for 20.00 a month I thought why not. I went and enjoyed it and signed up for6 months of 1x a week personal trainer time. From that I started logging food here and doing some strength training through body weight exercises and some free weights. I am now down to 169, gained 1 pound through the holidays. I find it hard to motivate to get to the gym when it's dark when I get up, dark when get home from work so I am trying to work out at home. I try to get steps in at work I average 8000. I have decided I would like to work out in the morning so to hopefully get me into that I have a goal to be outside every day at sunrise even if it's just on my back porch watching the rain and birds. I am hoping as the sun rises earlier I will be out walking during that time.

I have an ultimate goal of staying mobile and active as long as possible, I want to be able to enjoy retirement when it gets here! Thanks PianoRun for starting this post!
    SbetaK wrote: »
    bmartin466 wrote: »
    New to posting, but I have used MFP for 14 months. Since November 2013, I have lost 90 lbs. I am 68 years old, 5'1", and have two metal knees from total knee replacement. I try to walk two days a week and am really determined. My doctor is pleased, but my friends say I look "tired". Ha, no way, I'm on my way to my goal of 100 lbs.

wonderful for you! You must feel great. Ignore your friends and keep up your pursuit of good health!

WTG I can relate to being titanium tough as I have bilateral hip replacements. The first one was awesome and I lost a lot of weight using MFP. However, I have had a setback with this one and gained all my weight back plus some but I am back on track!if you have any helpful hints I would love to add you as a friend. Keep rocking!

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Triplestep:
    Yes, I agree! I always read too much and made it all so complicated that I self sabatoged. I cannot tell you how enlightening this experience has been. Why the heck didnt I understand this sooner? I do not feel deprived. I eat whatever I want but stay within my calorie allowance. It is Calories in/ Calories Out!!! It's been 7 months and walking is still working for me. Good luck and keep us informed.
  • merrygram
    merrygram Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh, please! This is the place for me! I don't see anyone my age or older, but I still think there's hope. I am 70 years old; and have been changing food and exercise habits of a lifetime since September, 2015. I'm short, 5 feet. Have lost, albeit slowly, 11 lbs. so far. Tracking food; and exercise. With weight/age related problems my best choice aerobic exercise is biking and water aerobic (at YMCA). Wonderful! Get in that water and feel like I can move like a teenager again! But, maybe because of age, it is slow. Or I'm making excuses. Not sure what to call real here. Short term goal: increase exercise to at least 2 1/2 hours per week by end of January. I am at 1 1/2 hours now.
  • merrygram
    merrygram Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot. I had total hysterectomy 2 years ago; uterine cancer- stage 1A. Very lucky. But afterwards got a bad cold and coughed/sneezed my way into a huge hernia around the incision sites. (5 of them-had robot operation).
    Surgeon will not repair hernia because of overweight. Less chance of being successful. I need to lose 100 lbs. Another doctor said maybe 50. Well, 11 lbs. is where I'm at now. Told the first surgeon "100 lbs! That's less than when I got married!" 135 lbs. So, going to do best I can and check in with surgeon around 50 lbs loss to see what the possibilities might be.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    just downloaded Jessica Smith's 6 week transformation. Anyone else trying it?
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Can't do any thing until get my arm out of the cast (broke it earlier this month). Slipped & fell while re-doing the kitchen floor. Had to wait till I was 65 to break something! I'll check it out once the doc says it's ok.
  • krenwren
    Options
    oh man that's terrible! I'll let you know how it goes. Feel better!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    K, many thanks! B)
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm glad to be back on this list (after a year's hiatus!). I'm 55, 5'8", 194 lb. Goal is to lose at least 20 lb by June - our 25th wedding anniversary. I'm going to start on Monday (a cliche, I know, but it's what I'm doing). This time I think my mantra will be persistence and perseverance. In the past I've not lasted more than a couple weeks, then something came up with the kids or hubby or job. As a family we've had a rough 8 years - but we are now really doing much better, life is relatively stable, and it is a very good time for me to do this for my health. Persistance!

I wish you all a Happy and Healthy 2015.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    just downloaded Jessica Smith's 6 week transformation. Anyone else trying it?

Haven't seen that one, but she has lots of free workouts on youtube and I like those a lot. Will check this out, sounds like a paid program but that is not an issue for me. If I know someone is good, I don't mind the cost.

zvmxp7nbo47o.jpg
  • Doinitin2015
    Doinitin2015 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well here I am as you see in my name tryin again for 2016 as I did not have sucess in 2015, I will be 56 this year female, I said how can my new year resolution again be lose weight and get fit.....I succeeded 10 years ago with the no smoking which in my opinion was huge, so now I need to tackle this! This past year for some reason I put exercise and eating right on the back burner when I know how good I feel when I put it first. We are off to hawaii first week in January so eating and cocktails will be included :) but I plan to walk what a more beautiful place to start with exercise! I also as many of you have said stop making this so complicated , exercise and can be as simple as walking , weight machines at gym, aqua fit, I do not need to eat green foods only no bread etc of course keep it healthy best you can but there is just so much information out there you get very confused or I do!
    Hello I am doinitin2015 and I need to lose 50 pounds
    Thank you and I wish us all success in 2016
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Thing of it is that it needs to be a lifestyle, not a diet w/a start & end date. Eat right most of the time & if you mess up get right back on the wagon. Exercise is part of it too; but make sure it's something you enjoy doing or you won't stick with it. Eat foods you enjoy, not something on some diet that someone else recommends--if you hate broccoli, don't eat it. Best of luck on your journey & Happy New Year! B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, ladies. I found that CICO worked for me, green, brown, whatever color of food. Walking is excellent exercise and free! I live in the country and walk or run in my really big back yard. I have a combo elliptical/stationary bike that gets used every day. There are always stairs to climb and jessicasmithtv videos to move to. I ballooned up to 190 after quitting smoking and have lost 70# here. It can be done!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Quit smoking 39 years ago & gained close to 40#s. We were active duty military and were stationed in Iceland; ended up losing the weight after we moved to San Diego. It's hard, but you're right, it can be done. B)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm glad to be back on this list (after a year's hiatus!). I'm 55, 5'8", 194 lb. Goal is to lose at least 20 lb by June - our 25th wedding anniversary. I'm going to start on Monday (a cliche, I know, but it's what I'm doing). This time I think my mantra will be persistence and perseverance. In the past I've not lasted more than a couple weeks, then something came up with the kids or hubby or job. As a family we've had a rough 8 years - but we are now really doing much better, life is relatively stable, and it is a very good time for me to do this for my health. Persistance!

I wish you all a Happy and Healthy 2015.

You can do it! I'm 62, have some health issues that restrict exercise, and still managed to lose 21 pounds from June 1 to Dec 31, so about the same time frame. Just stayed within my calories, ate reasonably healthy but no radical dietary changes, still treated myself from time to time. Persistence and perseverance is definitely the key! Portion control, filling up on veggies, eating a salad before my meal, and having a "salad day" after any days of indulgence really helped keep me on track. I ate delicious food every day, concentrating on meeting my protein goals, and found ways to get lower-cal options without sacrificing taste (no rice cakes or tofu for me!). Wish you the best, and your health & well-being will definitely be the better for it.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    pstegman88, Totally agree; but if you can exercise do so (do what you can), it helps with maintaining bone & muscle mass as you age. No tofu or rice cakes for me either; if it doesn't taste good, why bother. B)
  • krenwren
    Options
    Day three of the Jessica Smith six week tranformation. LOVE her workouts. I am expecting good things when I step on the scale next week. Eating is fairly purposeful. My major weakness, wine is out of the question since I am working so much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!