55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been following this thread for a while now. I have lost 55 pounds in the past 18 months, but before the holidays the weight had started creeping up. I have gained 10 pounds back. I am cutting calories and going to get that 10 pounds off, even if it is the holidays. There is always some excuse and right now I am done with excuses.

Good for you!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree, it can be done after 60+; it just may take a little longer. To me, surgery would be the last resort. I have to lay off exercising until after end of Jan as I broke my Rt wrist last Wed (9 Dec) and have to use my left for everything (I'm Rt handed--figures); so won't be writing much on here until then. When I go back to the doc will ask what I exercising I can do until then. If I'm not back by next week, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. B)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Today's my 62nd birthday ... down 24 pounds since this time last year (21 lost since June on MFP). November & December are my busy time of year, so I elected to go on maintenance for 6 weeks rather than stressing out, getting overwhelmed and exhausted, and overeating. I'm pleased that I didn't gain anything, and now I'm back on track to start losing 1 lb/week again. Not gonna let the holidays derail me - I'm very close to Onederland but not sure I can pull it off by Jan 1. If not, it should come shortly thereafter. What a relief that will be - haven't seen those numbers in quite a few years. Healthier, stronger, more energetic, and lighter - a great way to start the next year of my life!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Today's my 62nd birthday ... down 24 pounds since this time last year (21 lost since June on MFP). November & December are my busy time of year, so I elected to go on maintenance for 6 weeks rather than stressing out, getting overwhelmed and exhausted, and overeating. I'm pleased that I didn't gain anything, and now I'm back on track to start losing 1 lb/week again. Not gonna let the holidays derail me - I'm very close to Onederland but not sure I can pull it off by Jan 1. If not, it should come shortly thereafter. What a relief that will be - haven't seen those numbers in quite a few years. Healthier, stronger, more energetic, and lighter - a great way to start the next year of my life!

Awesome!! Congrats.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Sounds like you have had a wonderfully successful year. Congrats on the birthday and the weight loss.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!!! Great weight loss! Gayle Minneapolis
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Fantastic job!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If I may. I, too, love to bake. Well, OK, I love to eat a nice sweet. Try subbing unsweetened applesauce for oil/fat. About equal parts 1/2 cup to 1/2 cup. This works better in muffins and breads. Stevia is a heck of a way to save calories instead of sugar. Check the labels, but I think 1/2 cup brown sugar blend of stevia = 1 cup brown sugar and saves 600ish calories! You can bring some cookie and muffin recipes down to a reasonable amount of calories for a nice little treat! Remember, everything in moderation. Mom is done :wink: And Happy Birthday @pstegman888
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2. So sorry to hear that you broke your wrist. Ive read on here how active you are!!! Hang in and I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Elated, Many thanks. I'll check w/the doctor before I start back with an exercise program. The gym I go to is locally owned and month to month so I should get Dec pro-rated to whenever I can get back (probably Feb). And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! B)
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Middlehaith.... My story and weight is the same as yours. Age 59 in February. I was 130 at 45.i lost to 116. I am very small boned. Slowly my body changed but not the weight. I worked hard to stay at the new weight. I journaled for 4 soild years. Then with help of MFP lost to 106 so to fit my clothes and not go up a size.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all. Furious holiday baking and candy making with concomitant exercise to stave off weight gain!
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2: I hope you are able to still get out for walks. I believe you mentioned that you live in a mild climate??
    Here in Michigan , we've had a very mild Nov/ Dec and I've been able to keep walking outdoors. The treadmill is just not as rewarding. Happy Holidays!
    Btw. My sign in is a combo of my grandchildrens names. Haha. It appears that I cannot spell Elated. But when I combined their names it was close enough and captured the feeling of getting healthy and how I feel when I can be with them!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Elated, I can go for short ones. Will be able to do more as it heals; still a little painful. Doc says I can go back to weight training once completely healed (in fact he recommended it). Had the hard cast put on yesterday; go back for follow-up Jan 22. I like that name; cool! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    -
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! Remember one day will not make or break your fitness journey. @griffinca2, glad to hear you are healing well and doc says weight training is good!
  • lgura895
    lgura895 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love and peace to you all! Good luck on your journies in the new year.
  • gdadki
    gdadki Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am 59 - 5'9" and need to lose 35 pounds. Would love to have friends in the same boat!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    57 years old & 130 lbs 2 go
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Welcome all, this is a great thread for inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!