WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
edited May 2016 in Motivation and Support
194904olsgis3xqe.gif weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif 239603iu9tyt3tga.gif 569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif

Welcome to a wonderful supportive community of women. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

Some of us have been posting on this thread for awhile and others are new.

Please join us on the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

If you made any goals or resolutions for April, how did you do?

If you have made any goals or resolutions for May, please share them with us.

Don't forget to click on the star to bookmark the page so you can find us again.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

Resolutions for April (with end of the month comments)
*weight training twice a week or more (accomplished)
*10,000 steps a day (13,000 or more every day)
*continue organizing CD's (made great strides)
*meditation four days a week or more (almost every day---now have it scheduled for after breakfast)

Resolutions for May
*weight training twice a week
*30+ minutes of garden puttering three days a week
*daily meditation--gradually increasing time
*continue sorting and discarding photos

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,106 Member
    Options
    <3 Happy May Day <3
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.

Thanks for your kind words about HB2.

Miriam - I feel so bad for your grandson. I detest those that pushed the bill through. And, they're using fear to hide the other nastinesd included in the bill.

Heather - I read some of the stuff going on around you. Thanks for thanking the time to read about HB2!

Janet - I'm so sorry! ((((((Hugs))))))

I ate too many calories today. Nothing unhealthy other than it being too much. Disappointed but tomorrow is another day.

Thanks, Barbie!!

Carol in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie. We appreciate you so much.

Janetr okc
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Janet – Thanks; I will go by Lowe’s Tuesday when I will spend all day in town.

Kim from N. California – Love pesto. “Bone Fish” serves it warm. MMmmmm.

Carol in NC – I love “everything bagel thins”; ½ the ‘bread’ of a regular bagel and I love bagels.

Janetr – So sorry to hear of your step-daughter’s passing. Thoughts and prayers and hugs for all the family. Sad that her son lost his mother so close to graduation.

Becca – Love your picture of the woman throwing her clothes off at the beach. Your haircut looks good, too.

Spent the whole afternoon, 4 hours, taking one of my big ferns and dividing them up so they will 'bush out'. Lordy, they had about 1/2 of the frons dead; DH finally took an ax to them to divide them. Put it (biggest one, a Kimberly Queen) into 4 pots. Repotted my "Moses in a Boat" that I had never planted from the original pot; had just thrown it into a pot that had a little soil in it. Had to fight with it, too. I am 'exhausted'. Mass in the morning; then later in the afternoon will be taking the entire family to "Olive Garden". DOGD says that is going to be her 'cheat day'. Says that her step-mom (DDnL#1) needs to have a 'cheat day' once in a while; because she is only (on this diet she is on) allowed to eat 'green vegetables' and white meat (chicken or fish). Also, her "MD" told her 'not' to drink a lot of water. DOGD (and her half-sister on her mother's side) came over for DOGD to 'vent' a bit. Conversation went from 'diets'/life-style changes to their biological mother who is probably going to end up getting arrested again. She's left the state and is not doing what she is supposed to be doing on her 'probation'. Her two half-sisters are now in the custody of their respective fathers. They now have sole custody of them now and no possibility of bein reunited with the mother. DOGD and her 'sister' don't have anything to do with her; said that the youngest sister saw much more than they ever did and what they saw was bad. DOGD 'admitted' to getting DFACS involved today. She had 'skirted' on it; but, said that 'if she had not been accused of kidnapping her' she would have taken her to raise. Not the responsibility of - at the time - and 18-year-old to take on; especially with college ahead of her. She said that she called her Daddy and told him what was going on. I don't understand why it seems like the women who don't need or want children can 'pop them out' so easily whereas women who can't have them and would be good mothers can't.

I'm so 'tired' of 'politics' and 'politicians' ... can't turn on the TV without it all in your face.

Hi to all the 'newbies' and prayers and hugs to all those who have had issues in your families.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a Circuit Sweat DVD. Cathe Friedrich is the instructor. Has she started wearing glasses? The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pilates for Runners DVD and then a Pilates Muffin Top Meltdown DVD.

Made these mini-pot-pies to take to mexican train this week. I found a recipe for a cauliflower calzone that I want to try. Also need to make a birthday cake for one of the ladies at mahjongg. Vince needs to grill pork chops for next week and chicken thighs. Not sure if he wants to do it today or tomorrow.

We're supposed to go to a "potty party". Nope, that isn't supposed to be pottery. This gal renovated her bathroom and she's throwing this party to celebrate. Not sure why she's throwing it, maybe it was something that she really wanted to get done. Then I'm supposed to lector at the church. So we'll have to leave the party early. I'll be dressed for church.

And the pool saga continues....the pool company just called. They have all the parts but it's STILL tripping the breaker. So Monday the electrician will be here at 8a.m. They suspect that it's something in the panel. Can't get a break. Update: Vince did some sort of test and he's pretty convinced that it isn't in the panel but in a wire. He explained it to me -- went over my head

I know I'll go over on calories today. I'm already over and we still have that "Potty Party" to go to. Tried one of the cauliflower calzones. It was quite good. Only problem was that I forgot to put the timer on and I think I baked the crust a bit too long. Oh well....still tasted good and my stomach doesn't care what it looks like

Today seems to be one of those days when I want to eat everything in sight. Sigh..... Well, it'll all even out in the end. Some days I'm under so much that MFP "yells" at me

Guess I'll work some more on that beaded banner. Then when I have to add another piece of thread and wait for the glue to dry, I'll go watch some TV

Didn't like the way that lemon cake turned out so I'm making another one. For some reason, it keeps sticking to the pan. So this time I'm making it in three 8" pans and using parchment paper on the bottom.

Went to the potty party. I know that I blew the calories today. Even had some of the desserts. Claire - I know how you feel. I've sinned too. Now I feel like a lump.

lapellegrina - what an interesting avatar you have! there must be a story to it. Care to share? Welcome!

Did a Skype with Denise. Her bf seemed to like the cake cutter. I don't know about the champaigne glasses and she'll just have to see the wedding cake topper. It's yellowed over the years. But then again, if she uses it she can probably save $30. I won't get upset if she doesn't want to use it.

Lisa - how lucky for you that you parked in front of a tire shop

Got to the church late, just barely in time to do the lectoring. But I didn't have the prayers and they lock the room where they're kept. Not sure why that room is locked.

janetr - heart aching in NC here

Charleen - welcome! Do you machine quilt or hand quilt?

miriam - I have friends who are trans, and to me they are the most wonderful people on the face of this earth. they really care for each other and have their heads screwed on right. I'm so proud to call them my friend

Becca - your hair looks wonderful! Can't wait to get mine cut.Do you use that cordless phone?

Michele in NC
  • Pollance
    Pollance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Janetr - my deepest sympathies to you and your family. ((((hugs!))))

Becca, your hair looks great!

There was an almighty crash in the family room, and when I raced in there, my always indoor housecat Fred came walking across the room with a mouse dangling by the tail from his mouth! Not the thing that you want to see in your family room!
    I ran into the kitchen to get an oven mit to grab the mouse, and something to cover the mouse with, while saying "good boy Fred"!! I guess he was bringing me a present because as I came back into the room, he put the mouse down. It promptly ran across the room while Fred sat and watched it go. Because of the age of the house, I have hot water heat, which means 1/2 inch hot water pipes coming through the floor and running through the baseboard heaters. The mouse made an Olympic quality dive through the very small opening around one of the pipes and headed into the finished ceiling of the basement. Lost him!! Fred spent the rest of the evening on mouse watch at the opening that the rodent disappeared into. I spent the evening baiting mouse traps with peanut butter and figuring out where I could put the traps so that the cats wouldn't be able to get at them. (Oh what an exciting life I lead on a Saturday night!)

Heading to bed to stop myself from eating everything in sight out of frustration. Have a good one everyone!

Nikki in MA
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC~ I use it only when I have to punch in numbers...otherwise I use the black rotary phone!
    Thanks for the compliment on my hair. The place was busy, so I know that is a good sign.

Becca
    Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever gotten a personal call from a doctor on Saturday night? Well, I just did.

My PCP referred me for a colonoscopy. I started having them 20 years ago when my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. My maternal grandfather died from the disease. My father survived his and is still kicking at 87. My last one in 2011, this doctor told me I could wait 10 years, but my PCP said the report said 5 and strongly recommended we stick to the 5-year plan based on my family history. All this confusion was why the gastroenterologist was calling me tonight. He asked me if I was still teaching, said he liked my plan to go to exercise class every day instead, wanted to know how old my folks were when their cancer was diagnosed. He said it was certainly not unreasonable to stick to the 5-year plan. He said his PA would call me on Monday to schedule it. I've always loved this doctor, and I like him even better now. But bless him, he needs to take Saturday night off.

• Annr
    Options
    Nikki in MA~ Thanks for the compliment! I feel like an old Dorothy Hamill! Ah no, mouse alert is NO fun! My cat used to get mice, moles, and sometimes a rabbit, and scratch on the sliding screen door for praise. If we didn't do a good enough job, she would drag it onto the picnic table in front of the window and promptly make disgusting noises eating it....to gross out my dear Mother. It ALWAYS worked, so my dear cat Pippin got her gratification by freaking my Mother out. :-)
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Lenora~
    http://jillnealgallery.com/ This is the artists site. She does really great work, and her drawings are such fun!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day, everyone! May we all be successful at improving our health. :flowerforyou:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Clairblue – so you are human! And think of how much much better you did than before you joined MFP – that makes that a win!

Janetr – my heart breaks for you DH and the rest of the family sending you virtual love, hugs and kleenex

Lisa – you always make me laugh and I love the way you roll, it reminds me how to stand up for myself.

Katla – Wow, pesto is one of my favorite things, quite heavy on calories, but a little goes a long way… Come on down and I’ll make it for you! Glad the boat sold, that was the goal – An RV could get you to my house for pesto! LOL

Carol – You go girl!

GLo – you should write that! Our annoyances are real even if they are not huge, and it is good to get them down and out…

Thanks Barbie for the new thread

Katiebug – wow I’m not even sure my doc would know my name with out the chart.

Becca – cute hair

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Many years ago we had a cat that was an indoor/outdoor cat. One day she was out for awhile and I went out to look for her. There she was with a big rat in her mouth. I am sure she was so proud what she brought to me but I took that rat by it's tail and flung it as far as it could go. The look on my poor cat's face was priceless. Today some one from the Cruz campaign came by soliciting for him and of course my husband is going to talk his ear off. So dear Melody felt comfortable enough with her human standing in the open door that she could wander on the porch and knew he would always be there for her.

I need advice from Allison or anyone else who has knowledge. You know I had this tooth pulled yesterday as an emergency. I couldn't wait until next Wednesday as it was just to painful. Well I would take the pain before the extraction over what kind of pain I have now. I literally can not chew anything. I haven't tried pudding or yogurt or things like that. My jaw is so sore I can't put my top and bottom teeth together. I was bad and had a wendy's frosty for supper and that is the only thing I have had. Yesterday I had some crackers and I thought maybe they would taste good but I can't chew them. I know I will call on Monday and they better get me in to see this doctor. If I called the doctor on call, what would he say, go to the ER and he would see me there?

Joyce, Indiana
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Barbie - thank you so much once again for keeping us moving forward one month at a time! Your faithfulness to this is part of what keeps me coming back, month after month, day after day.

JanetR - I am so incredibly sorry about Tara. Your whole family is in my thoughts. At times like these, simply standing up and putting one foot in front of the other can be the hardest thing. Keep talking to us, my dear, we have broad shoulders, and we're here for you.

Joyce - it sounds like dry socket and/or infection in the space where the tooth was-four wisdom teeth did that to me, and it is extraordinarily painful. Warm water and salt rinses seemed to help, but in the end, the only thing that fixed it was them packing the space with a tiny cloth mixed with clove oil. It covers the exposed nerve and deadens it. ERs aren't good about seeing people for tooth pain, but your dentist should be able to see you quickly and provide what you need one hopes.

Kim from No. Cal - I always thought I'd be an example to others, but wasn't always sure it would be as a good example! :wink: Thank you for the compliment. The older part of me worries that I might have torched my chance at the job--but I'm no longer being someone I'm not for ANYone, whether job, marriage or family. It's a much better place to be in my head, but not necessarily making me more employable. :) Luckily, the person I am is a pretty nice person, and I like her a lot. I don't regret having tried to change myself for others in the past. It brought me where I am right now. But you can be nice and also get what you need. The key, I've found, is to make it clear to yourself and to others that you have the power to walk away. When it's clear to you, you never actually have to say the words to anyone else. It alters the way you interact with them in subtle ways that people recognize without knowing why, often enough.

Lisa in East Texas...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    DH off to cricket daily for the next four days . He is currently making up his rolls for lunch and a hot cross bun with cheese for a afternoon snack. :D I am going to take advantage of his absence to have Dim Sum with chilli sauce to dip. >:)<3
    I will watch my film this afternoon - about a Brazilian photographer. :) Unfortunately it's in English.

I hope I will get through the four days ok without him. I might be eating lots of carrots. The fridge starts to call me the minute he goes out of the door. Perhaps time to get on with my memoir and test out the printer. o:)
    I am making rabbit stew for dinner tonight. Cooked with a bit of pancetta, carrots, celery, onions and cider. Served with broccoli and new potatoes for DH. The rabbit comes diced and packaged from the supermarket - I haven't been out to shoot it. :noway:
    The weather isn't too bad today, but tomorrow, which is a bank holiday, will be rainy. Of course. It is a British joke that it always rains on a bank holiday. :D

Love to all and commiserations to Joyce for her teeth. :'(

Love Heather UK

• lhannon062709
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Insomnia bites. But it can also be quite productive. Soon as I'm done here, I'll get my regular weekly article written (yes, the same newspaper that is thinking about hiring me). Today I think I'll be writing on "What my mother taught me," in honor of Mother's Day looming next weekend. It took me ten years after her death to write about my mother without tears. I still miss her so.

Second cup of coffee burbling in the coffee maker, my husband asleep ten feet away, and the last morning in the hotel. Glad of it - I miss my office at the ranch, and my big monitor and keyboard, so I'm not staring at the laptop tiny screen. Plus hotel desk chairs always lose their height, and I'm a short little bugger, so I end up losing the feeling in my hands before too long, as they're reaching up to type. First world problems. I'll get over it!

Such an amazing time with my sister this weekend... we kind of go in cycles, but both want to see more of each other during this one. You forget in between how much this person is like you--we say identical responses at the same time, laugh the same way, look even more like each other than we always did, and most people thought we were twins growing up. She's my baby sister, indeed the baby of the family, and we were the last two, so we were close as kids, grew apart until we were in our early 30s, and have cycled, as I said, in and out for the last 25 years or so. I've lived with her for short stints, she's lived with me for months at a time. Losing so many people this year, and her falling off a ladder was part of what inspired the first visit this year, and I'm hoping to see her quite frequently over the course of the year. I've never actually met my two oldest half sisters, and only met one when I was 17. We were both pretty unimpressed. So, when I say "my sister," I mean this one.

I may change my article to be about her and about my mom, because she's an amazing mom, as well. Not exactly June Cleaver, but who is?

We're heading home as soon as we get the trailer loaded, which won't be until four hours from now... because I have insomnia, and the men don't! Will roust Corey out about 7:30, and start loading at 8:30... My sis and DBiL will be bringing a trailer load to the storage unit, and we'll be transferring it all to the larger trailer we're going to be dragging. We've already packed the van to the ceiling, literally. Then seven to nine hours of driving, unload the van and trailer, stopping in Odessa to pick up one of the ranch vehicles at the airport, which I'll drive back to the ranch, and then home for the night. Then pee testing tomorrow for the job.

Life is always interesting.
    Wonder why? :blush:
    Lisa, soon to be home in West Texas, if the good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Patwhat a handsome Marine!

Joyce I think Lisa's right...dry socket..I had same diagnosis many yrs ago & still remember the discomfort...salty warm water swish was helpful.p but packing it is the answer.

Becca looking sassy wth the new do!

Janetr my sincere condolences for on your sad loss.

May Goals
    Weight loss: 6#s
    Exercise: 20 min Hatha Yoga ~ daily, 15 min upper arm weights ~ 5/wk, 10 min new core exercises ~ 3/wk
    Meditation: 10 min 3/wk before exercise
    Sleep: 7 hrs/night
    Reorganize pantry
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Ack - forgot my goals for May!

April goal - be lighter - I achieved it. One pound. Woo-hoo!

May goal - same. Be lighter. One pound is sufficient. If my spirit gets any lighter, I'll float away. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    Joyce~ a couple of things ... was it an upper or lower tooth,if it was a lower tooth and they were holding on to your jaw that sometimes get very sore.. we reccomend after 24 hours rinsing with warm salt water.. and you just might have a dry socket... we have what is called dry socket paste that we put in the opening ,we also tell people the biggest thing is if you are a smoker dont.. for at least a week or anything through a straw.. you dont want soup or spagetti anything that would cause a sucking motion as it will unclot what you are tying to clot...
    if you can hold off until tomorrow to get to the dentist, take your pain meds, and alternate between 2 motrin and 2 tylenol which you can take together every 6 hours... good luck honey... xoxoxo
    Chester is snoring beside me here and the birds are singing away outside , but the high today will only be around 49 and rainy... so Sean and I will be trying to get the fridge in the house and work at getting the dining room arranged with fridge and microwave.. and somewhere in there I have to grocery shop
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day to All!

Thanks Barbie for starting the new thread.

Carol