WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    janetr - thanks! go use that Y membership! I wish there was one with facilities here!

Kim
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Janetr I am so sorry to hear of the
    loss of Tara!
    Heather, I have not seen the movie but I have seen an exhibit of Salgado's work and it is very moving...a great artist!
    Have been skimming and sure I am missing something you all wrote..this week seems to be very busy for me and it might be all I can do to log in the food...thought 39 posts was manageable then realized I was still in April...
    Betty
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi Meg - Lovely to see you. <3 Gosh, if I didn't come on here when I feel down I'd never come on here at all. :laugh: Hope you'll be back more often.

I must say that if I had to get out of the house to go and exercise, or take my clothes off and get wet, I would never do any exercise at all. My machines are in my spare bedroom. I am a lazy so and so and would not stir myself to go out of my way, or even go out of the house, despite my resolutions. The best diet is the one you can stick to (for the rest of your life) and the best exercise is one that is available and costs the least in willpower. Walking, cycling to work or the shops, gardening, or something convenient and accessible. It has been proved many times in studies that willpower is a very easily used up commodity. The harder it is, the less likely it is you will stick to it. The best thing is to incorporate a habit in your life that you know you will not break. My spare room is next door to my bedroom. I do it in my pyjamas. I listen to my favourite radio programmes. Do I love it? No. But it is something I now do as a habit. It has saved my life. The machines cost money, but we have saved two lots of gym membership over 5 years. They have more than paid for themselves. They are there in all weathers. I don't need gym clothes. You can even put one in your living room, like Barbie. Apart from that I have a yoga mat and some dumbbells. I do strength and weight training in front of the TV in my bedroom. As I am a person who will always take the easiest option, this works very well for me. I dread to think what would have happened to me if I hadn't got into this habit of exercising. I was crippled with weight, joint problems, pain and depression after cancer.
    If you are stalling, binging or plateauing, you are probably asking too much of yourself. Small changes, consistently, are the way to go. Big asks usually result in big fails. :flowerforyou:

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    janetr - thanks! go use that Y membership! I wish there was one with facilities here!

Kim

Yes, ma'am :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather - All that you are saying is so true. I do have all the weights/mat at home, also stationary bike and treadmill. So I have been doing them at home and it for sure is much more convenient. I have enjoyed the water tho but only seem to want to do it during warmer weather. I do enjoy the social part of it tho. The ladies have become friends and other than that I feel like I have no socialization.

Janetr OKC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,
    Joyce, do you really think Charlie is thinking of getting you a gift? And you aren't even him Mother!! I hope you are right. How fun would that be?

Meg, I hate that you are down and I'm sure, no more than you do. I'm rooting for you to get back to yourself. (((Hugs)))

Heather, glad your DH went to the store as instructed. I'd hate to be reading a story about what happened if he forgot. LOL

Janetr, thanks for the kind words. I really miss all of you when I don't have time to read all and respond. I know what an exciting life I have but I'm happy for ya'll to be the highlight of my day.

Pip, glad you have good biking weather!

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I just took a quiche out of the oven to take to the Moose tonight. I'm in charge of the program tonight and don't feel as prepared as I'd like so may go in extra early. I have to put up decorations and prepare the food table. I take you ladies with me wherever I go. Congrats to all those who had a good April and keep up the good work.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. relaxing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Had a lively discussion with my daughter last even regarding metabolism rates. She was suprised that hers and mine were very close, yet she is reasonably fit and I...well let's not go there just yet. :*

Lisa and CJ - You can see why I need to lose weight, it takes a lot of hours sitting in front of a machine to make one of these. I do not sell my quilts, but I do give them away to folks who I feel would appreciate them. For those who have kids in your life I would like to recommend a book called 'The Quiltmaker's Gift'. The artwork is stunning and the message is thoughtful.

I am adjusting daily to tracking my food intake and getting into an excerise routine. My goal is to get on the elliptical at least 4 times a week and slowly increase my time/distance/calorie burn. At least stretch myself to go a little futher each time, as far as my poor bad knees will allow me.

Today the sun is shining for the first time in days, I am going out to enjoy it!

Charleen from Colorado
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Charleen from Colorado - don't suppose you ever lived in the Denver area? I am from Denver and lived there until 1997. I went to HS (she was younger than me) with a Charleen who lived up the street from us. I haven't seen her since HS but you reminded me of her. :)

Janetr OKC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Got the job! Doesn't pay much, but more than I expected, if that makes sense. At least it has benefits, hopefully better than the one's the DH's job comes with. Community newspaper work is done for the love of it, never for the money.

I start Wednesday, and have a ton of stuff (possibly two tons) to get shifted, cleaned, organized, priced and ready for a sale on the 15th. I'll still check in early mornings. Y'all are my rock, you know.

Kim in NoCal, nothing, but NOTHING makes me more miserable than a sore throat. Commiserations my dear... Lots of hot liquids, herbal tea will soothe it some, but time's the only healer, I think. Unfortunately, all the throat drops and sprays make me gag, so I've suffered through a few.

JanetR, so proud of you for taking back up the reins of your life. Grief of that nature is like being wrapped in cotton wool, nothing feels truly real except what's inside, and that's you. Sweat isn't just good for the body, it's good for the heart and soul, or at least it is for me. My thoughts are with you.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in sunny, funny West Texas
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks! (((hugs)))

May Goals

-If I bite it, I write it!
    -Go to bed with husband. I can always record if I see something I would normally stay up to watch.
    -Variety is the spice of life, don't eat like a zombie!
    -Eat fish and seafood at least twice a week.
    -Make it a rule to keep on top of whats in refrigerator. Do not let my veggies or fruit spoil!
    -Don't buy too much fruits or veggies. Eat what is in refrigerator, OR above will happen
    -Give myself a hug every day!

Becca
    Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Lisa - CONGRATS ---- ok so you are doing the warehouse gig, writing a column, being the managing editor, and writing blogs for others, as well as the occasional book???? Oh yes and you are a wife and active community member... SUPER WOMAN!
  • carlaerie
    carlaerie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to groups but want to get more motivation. I've done well since January but after vacation in April find it hard to get on the wagon. I am doing it but not with as much enthusiasm as the months previously.
    Thanks
    barbiecat wrote: »
    194904olsgis3xqe.gif weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif 239603iu9tyt3tga.gif 569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif

Welcome to a wonderful supportive community of women. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

Some of us have been posting on this thread for awhile and others are new.

Please join us on the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

If you made any goals or resolutions for April, how did you do?

If you have made any goals or resolutions for May, please share them with us.

Don't forget to click on the star to bookmark the page so you can find us again.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

Resolutions for April (with end of the month comments)
    *weight training twice a week or more (accomplished)
    *10,000 steps a day (13,000 or more every day)
    *continue organizing CD's (made great strides)
    *meditation four days a week or more (almost every day---now have it scheduled for after breakfast)

Resolutions for May
    *weight training twice a week
    *30+ minutes of garden puttering three days a week
    *daily meditation--gradually increasing time
    *continue sorting and discarding photos

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• Annr
    Options
    Addendum to May Goal.......

-Exercise 4 times a week for 30 minutes, either swimming, aqua aerobics, or walking.

There, its legal. Now I need a notary....who is gonna stamp it?
    Becca
    all legaleezy in
    Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    I here by stamp Becca's May goals!
  • Annr
    Options
    okeedookee.....Up on the frig it goes all offical like. Thanks Kim!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Janetr - You are doing wonderfully to be doing anything at the moment! :flowerforyou: One thing I find really helpful, if you can find room for it, is my rowing machine. You see, all I have to do is totter in the spare room and SIT DOWN! Marvellous. :D I can do almost anything sitting down. Or lying down. :laugh: It just makes an easier start to my day and once I get started it all gets easier. :D
    Of course, research has also shown that doing some activity with supportive other people is a huge help. :) You have your class, I have my yoga and, most importantly, I do my exercising with DH. <3
    Heather UK

PS - We have just been paying attention to a football (soccer) match which was the decider for the Premier League champions. Leicester has just achieved that as 5,000- 1 outsiders!!! The whole city has been going mad! A small team that no one thought had any chance at all. The British do love an underdog! :bigsmile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well as several of you suggested, I have a dry socket. Went in this afternoon and they took out the one stitch (feels so much better without that thing) and then packed it with this stinky stuff, gave me a script for an antibiotic and more pain medicine. But just opening my mouth wide enough for him to examine and put that packing in made it hurt pretty bad. So I 'really' enjoyed my totally soft diet for lunch. Well the ice cream was good but I know that although I need calories, they need to be good calories. As I was in the check out lane, I thought of bananas. I could have sliced them and eaten them. Poor Charlie, there goes his Wet Burrito from Hacienda tonight unless he wants to get take out.

Speaking of Charlie, he had his appointment today with the GI guy which is actually the nurse practitioner. YEAH!!!!! Not that I am excited for anyone to have one but I really want to know what is going on inside his colon.

Jamie, where do you live in Indiana. If you aren't comfortable in saying the city, just the general area. Like I am from southern Indiana

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Options
    oooh did you SEE my lunch I fixed today? I was proud of all my weighing, measuring, chopping and adding spices to it all, and the soup was like a elixir!
    Becca
    full of goodness from my Proscuitto Soup...
    in Oregon
  • Annr
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ciò che si mangia con gusto non fa mai male.
    What you eat with pleasure will never make you sick.

(Italian phrase I came across)

Becca
    wishing I was in Tuscany, Italy
    but in Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    MEG!!! I missed you.

I blew my entire last week's allowance at the nail salon today. A pedicure, a French manicure with gel polish, an eyebrow and a lip wax plus tips. On Thursday I will spend 3/4 of this week's allowance at the hair salon getting my roots touched up. I spend way too much money on this stuff. But, dang! My toes and hands look good!