WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of pilates today. The plan for tomorrow is to do another section of the Hot Body Boot Camp DVD, hold my plank, and then do a Gilad Quick Fit Body Sculpting DVD. Usually, I'd go to the extremepump class, but remember that the electrician is coming in the a.m. Hopefully, by 8:45 we'll have an operational pump. then the fun of shocking the pool begins!

I told Vince that I needed to be at the church at 4:45 yesterday. I don't think he left the potty party until about 4:40. There is no way we could get from Hickory to the church in 5 minutes. Why he left so late is beyond me. I barely, and I do mean by the skin of my teeth, got to the church in time to lector. However, some of the things that I need were in this one room which was locked. why it's locked is a mystery to me. To my knowledge there's nothing real valuable in there. Why they don't just close the door, I have no idea.

KJ - boy, you treat your little ones so good! when my kids were little, what I'd do (actually, I still do it...an ice pop is only something like 90 calories) is take a container of unflavored yogurt (usually about 32oz, this was before the days of Greek yogurt, I did try the Greek yogurt last time I made these pops and really liked the consistency) and a 12oz can of oj concentrate. thaw the concentrate but don't reconsititute it. Mix the two together and pour into an ice pop mold. Sometimes I just gave this to the babies instead of an ice pop. I many times have to make a different meal for me as Vince eats the same thing over and over and over. I'm just the opposite, give me lots of variety.

Karen - I would probably be back in the stone age, too, if it weren't for Vince and sometimes Jess and their computer knowledge -- especially Vince.

Charleen - What a beautiful quilt! My aunt (she's passed away now) used to do FANTASTIC hand quilting. Really tiny stitches! I x-stitched a lap quilt once and then quilted it. I know that a lot of people find quilting to be so relaxing, it wasn't for me at all. I did have problems with the binding. As a matter of fact, I wound up having someone else do that for me. Love your quilt

pip - To be honest, I'm uncomfortable riding my bike to the store. Now I will ride it to the end of our development, chain it to a tree and then walk the rest of the way to the store. I'm just uncomfortable because I don't usually ride on the road (busy road) and I'm afriad I'd do something that would put me (or someone else) in danger.

Heather - I always thought you were a vegetarian, maybe a pescatarian because I remember you talking about the prawns. I eat very little red meat, only a small portion of chicken or pork or even fish. But give me my veges and watch out!

janetr - congrats on your daughter's graduation. I can hardly imagine your disappointment. I do understand that it was bad there. A friend of mine used to live in Colorado Springs and she was telling me that they had to cancel their prom. Tara sounds like she was such a fighter, someone I'd be proud to have as a daughter as I'm sure her mom is

NY Niki - welcome! Come in as often as you'd like. No one will be hurt if you don't make personal comments, that's perfectly fine. We just want you here to share what's going on. The weather is getting nicer so I know you'll be outside much more. I know that I'm a stress eater. Good for you logging everything -- the good, the bad, the ugly.

jerinik - welcome!

Welcome everyone else that I may have missed.

Didn't do very much today, worked on the fourth (and final!) beaded banner. Am almost half done with it.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Barbie, thanks for getting us going again. I love your cartoon with the dogs doing yoga!

Janetr, so sorry for all that’s been going on. But congrats to your DD on her graduation! (((Hugs))) and much love.

Joyce, I hope the tooth is better soon!!!

I finally had to skip some pages to get caught up. Then I forgot yesterday was the last day of the month. I’ve just been so busy with things around the house lately. The handy man was supposed to come yesterday to finish everything and he “forgot” and went someplace else. That is the second time that’s happened. Ppffttt Now he’s rescheduled for Wednesday. Today I painted the trim on the door going out from the garage and planted some parsley and chives seeds in the back yard. I hope they grow. DH and I keep planning to go out for dinner for a belated birthday but we keep putting it off.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

May Goals:
    Weigh less at the end of the month than I do today.
    Exercise at least 5 days a week.
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    Renew my commitment to eating right, counting calories and logging everything that goes in my mouth.
    That includes staying with my 1200 calories a day.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. relaxing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Charleen -- That is an exquisite quilt! I envy your patience & talent. So beautiful. I have to ask, do you sell your quilts?

Thanks for the support after my Friday night chocolate cake incident. :) (can't get icons to show in the chat box). I was worried that it might be the beginning of a downward slide, but Saturday & Sunday have been swell. Went to core class yesterday, then spent 40 minutes on the treadmill. The gym has a Cardio Cinema. You can go in & watch a big screen movie while walking on the treadmill, riding a stationary bike or using an elliptical trainer. I got caught up in the movie (The Illusionist -- I love Edward Norton) & spent an additional 20 minutes on the treadmill. Thank you, Edward!

Janetr, thinking of you & your family as you go through this incredibly sad & difficult time. If only words could make the hurt go away.

GRITSandLSU, I'm with you regarding recent politics. I realize we are facing highly important issues, but I know who I will vote for this fall, so do not need to hear/see the endless political coverage. Other countries are astounded at the amount of money our candidates spend on their campaigns & the length of time the campaigns last.

Pollance, you've got quite the mouser! We live in town & are under a leash law, so our cat is currently tied out in our backyard watching the rabbits eat my hostas while hopping to & fro. Must put some Irish Spring soap chunks out by the plants to keep the rabbits away, but its been raining so much that the soap would simply melt away to slivers & do no good whatsoever.

May Goals:
    Continue eating healthily & logging on FitnessPal
    Core workout class 2X week
    Low impact aerobics class 2X week
    Go for a walk on the days I don't have class
    Get plenty of sleep (it helps!)

Sue in Wisconsin (aka Clairblue)

• Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK, now I see the icon actually DID show up once I hit the Post Reply button. I'm so tech savvy...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :) When we had cats that went outdoors and a cat door so they could come and go when they wanted, we had many little "gifts" brought into the house by the cats. My favorite was when my very young step daughters had come for a visit and had left their suitcase open on the living room floor overnight so they could put their last items in before they left, they got up in the morning and found a dead mouse in the middle of the suitcase. We told them that the cat loved them so much that he brought them a present. They loved hearing that and talked about it for years.

<3janetr, as we go through our old photos and decide what to keep, we have been reminded of many situations where our decision to not attend a family event, enraged one or more family members and how important it had been for us as a couple to make decisions that were best for us as a couple, no matter who disagreed with us. Not taking things personally has always been a challenge. I send hugs to you at this difficult time. <3

:)Sue in WI, a small detour off the healthy eating path is no big deal unless you waste a lot of time beating yourself up about it or use it as an excuse to go way off the path and eat the whole cake....it sounds like you're back on the path and doing great.

smiley-sleep012.gif earlier to bed than usual because of chiropractor appointment at 8:15 tomorrow.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,668 Member
    Options
    no stat for today, took the day off, had running around to do and playing with the kids. took the summer bike out for me, back to wearing a backpack ( summer bike doesn't have a rack so no pannier).
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Barbie. That is helpful for you to tell me that. Jack and I made the decision we thought best for us and our safety, that was most important.

You all have been so much comfort to me and I truly appreciate it.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I finally decided to attempt to actually eat something tonight. Charlie and Michelle wanted to go to Bob Evans. You know me and comfort food when I am not feeling well. Charlie has always praised and I mean really praised their macaroni and cheese. So although I know I could have gotten something a wee bit healthier I ordered that and banana bread. They are getting real skimpy on the banana brad as I got two very thin pieces. But that's OK. I usually eat on my right side only but with my tooth in such pain last week I was eating on my left side. So I tried the right side. Oh boy, was it hard. Both Michelle and Charlie got a big hamburger and fries and I was the last to finish! I did take the nuts out of the bread as it was just to hard to chew them. And yes, the mac n cheese was good. Just took a very long time to eat it.

Charlie is not one to buy me any present at any time. He says he is that way so that I do't have to feel obligated to give him anything. Since when was love an obligation??? But at supper Michelle showed Charlie something on her phone. I tried to see it is also but she wouldn't let me. Charlie has never been known for being subtle. He told her that he was thinking more of a tear drop. So she showed him a picture of something. He said he needed to draw it. I think this man is actually thinking of buying me something for Mother's Day!!!! I think the last thing he bought me was about 12 years ago when Michelle told him she was taking him shopping and was not going to accept a no. He did buy 2 nice things. A digital frame was Michelle's idea but he picked out a nice ring.

Welcome to our new ladies.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Had two lizards in my house yesterday. This wet weather is bringing all sorts of critters to my door. The first one was a little 4" gecko. He startled me but nothing else. I caught him and got him put outside tail intact without having him pitch me an insurance policy. The second one was. Ack! A 10 inch bluntnose skink. Thankfully he was more scared of me than I was him and when I opened the door and got behind him he skittered out. I hate lizards. They are better than finding tarantulas and scorpions in your house as I often did when we lived in New Mexico. Snakes are the worst though thanks to memories of my brother putting water snakes down my shirt. Here I've had a few snakes most harmless but last year we had a coral snake in our yard. Very poisonous so after verifying it wasn't a king snake it became a dead snake.

Marcelyn
    Not expecting much rain tomorrow in Houston
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, oh yikes. I hate critters. I would have been running and screaming. Glad they left with out resistance. :)

Janetr okc
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I hit the star icon and posted on the April 30 page instead of May 1.

Janet Again, you have my sincere condolences. Life has been unfair and unkind to you and your family this year. It is more that you should have to go through but know that you do not have to do this alone. {{{{hugs}}}}

Katla Thank you for your kind words about my friend with cancer. It runs in the family. We are concentrating on the positive and we will see each other again. I am making plans for 4 of us who all met each other when we were in a job networking group some time ago to get together. We see each other separately but I think it will be fun to see each other in a group again.

Carol in NC Your pastor is very brave to begin an open discussion on such a difficult topic. Very often, when dealing with controversial subjects, community leaders choose to walk away rather than providing a safe forum for people of all points of view to learn and discuss. I hope that the discussion leads to light and coming together rather than smoke and divisiveness. Miriam You are a compassionate, understanding person. Your grandson is lucky to have your support as he faces all kinds of challenges, especially from those who would try to negate who he understands himself to be as a human being.
    Charleen2 wrote: »

Exermom - I am a machine quilter. I'm 64 and life is getting shorter and I want to get as many quilts done as I can. This is one of my larger pieces, its 110" x 110" titled "Snowbird". I'm currently sewing the binding on. oe2ivlmq9s2s.jpg

Enjoy!

Charleen in snowy Colorado

Charleen That is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. Can I say that I have quilt envy? It is a true work of art worthy for a museum.

Heather Unfortunately, racism and anti-Semitism are not confined to the US. If even half the horrible news about the Labour Party and Oxford University are correct as reported in the international press, we can only wonder about the future of the country that so bravely stood up to, defied, and defeated the forces of darkness during World War II.

Joyce I hope your dentist is available first thing on Monday morning. As far as the primary election, I am sure that you will be glad when it is over. This is one of the times that I am thrilled that I do not have a television and rely on newspapers and NPR and PBS on the internet for news. SO many of the clips or ads that I have seen or read about have really sickened me. What in the world can the politicians and their advisors be thinking? Certainly, attacking policies and votes has been part of politics going all the way back to the founding of our country (i.e. the term Gerrymandering came from attacks on Elbridge Gerry, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and Vice President to President Madison) but personal attacks on family members, physical appearance, etc. are beyond the Pale of civility.

Sunday was Orthodox Easter, celebrated by the Greek, Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian and other Eastern Christian religious followers. Central to this celebration is food, specifically a whole roasted lamb. I managed to keep my eating of the best Greek food in the US to within a dull roar of my limit. My trick was to fill up on a wonderful spring mix of salad and to keep my back turned to the buffet table. Out of sight, out of mind. I did have desserts ( with an s) but for the most part, limited myself to tastes. I did not exercise today and will pay penance for the next week. What was most interesting to me, as an outsider who has been welcomed into a friend's extended family, is how the American Greek young people maintain the traditions and "Greekness" more than their cousins who live in Greece. Even the non-Greeks who have married into this large, boisterous and warm family have adopted the culture as their own and passed it down to the next generation.
    CJ
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kim: You are so sweet. Perhaps we'll head south one of these days. A woman never knows. There are no travel plans at the moment. :smiley:

Joyce: I'd suck on popsicles if I had a tooth out. The cold would be soothing and the sugar would give just a little energy. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Good luck on the job. You would be perfect. Congrats on the pound lost in April. :flowerforyou:

Kim: Colds are awful. I hope you are feeling better already! :heart:

janetr: Congratulations on your daughter's graduation from college. Three cheers! :bigsmile:

Jerinick: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Congratulations on taking a day off! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

We went to the beach today and had a great time. I thought about Becca because she lives near where went. We visited Fort Stevens State Park at the mouth of the Columbia River. It was a beautiful, warm day and there were lots of people enjoying themselves. DH sat in the sand while the dog and I walked on the beach. Afterward we went to Costco on the way home.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    CJ - This is not a political forum, so I won't elaborate on the anti-semitic row, but it has been blown out of all proportion and is being stirred up by the powerful right wing press and old Blairites in an effort to bring down the left wing leader of the Labour Party. They are being very successful in upsetting and scaring people who should know better. That is not to say prejudice does not exist - of course it does, in all societies and against all different groups.
    That's it, I've said my piece. As I have a Masters in Philosophy I find woolly and confused thinking very exasperating! :sad: I am continually amazed by the things people believe as "givens", even when the evidence shows quite otherwise. I was brought up to analyse and question.

Love Heather UK
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous quilt...always wanted to try my hand at something small but haven't yet...I'm not sure I'm that talented! Knitting afghans is more my ability.
    Heather we also eat organic, free range & locavore, very little red meat, lots of seafood & veggies. Love artisan cheeses but yikes they don't fit well in MFP diet. I'm having problems meeting my protein goals but not fats :'(

Hope May is a good or better month for everyone! My DH has one of his every 6 month scans to make sure his epiglottis cancer hasn't returned...he's scoped every other month now & all seems good but it's always nerve wracking.

My 97yo dad in NY nursing home is not feeling as chipper as usual so need to schedule a trip back between Dr app'ts, Garden Club duties, our big plant sales is coming up soon, and my RE commitments.

Lost 4.5" in April...almost forgot to measure.

GLo waking up early on the North Shore of Ma
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,324 Member
    Options
    Glo - I am grateful to have enough calories left in the day to be able to have an oz of artisan cheese every night around 9 pm. It isn't so good for my sodium, so I usually have a glass of water last thing. :'( Cheese is my weakness, but I am happier fitting it into my allowance than trying to do without. I find the sharper the cheese, really vintage, the less I need of it, so 1 oz is enough. It makes me very happy.
    I can only "afford" this because I do 600 calories worth of exercise every day. I do it whether I feel like it or not. Usually not. Without the exercise I simply could not manage my life.
    I sincerely hope your husband's test goes well. I had breast cancer in 2007 and always fear it coming back. I am now down to mammograms every three years, but I have the example of my best friend before me who had a recurrence after 16 years. She is still alive and on the very latest, experimental drugs. She has survived much longer than anyone could have guessed. She recently took herself off on a solo package holiday to Turkey and regularly travels to see friends in Europe. Tiredness is a huge issue and she has often cancelled our meetings, which does upset me, but I have to respect her feelings. We talk a lot on the phone. <3
    You are a very busy person, with a lot of responsibilities, which does make eating schedules much more difficult. You are doing very well - I don't think I could manage. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,782 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    working today 10:30 -5 today still sore but will manage.. off to walk dogs then down to feed DFIL and back and one more walk for the boys and then off to work
  • kritney
    kritney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi girls! So sorry I wasn't around more the last few weeks. I'm studying for a certification test for work and it's kicking my butt. I'll be so glad when it's done.

There's a lot going on in May but my goals include being more consistent with my workouts, eating clean and posting here. I gotta run for now to get ready for work but hopefully I can check back in during my lunch break.

Kristi in NC
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! Mainly reading today! Charleen- the quilt is gorgeous! I realized something this morning when I weighed in. (I gained five pounds this past week, due, I am sure, to doing less intense exercise bc of the P.I.T.A. and making REALLY bad food choices.) What I realized though, is actually something that Barbie happened to bring up in her post yesterday to a newbie; I am stressing over fitting in exercise in the day, but I am spending more time on the computer. SO...I am going to respond a little less for a while and focus on using that time to exercise. I love you all, but it's time to shut my mouth and get to work!
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I was up at 4:45 to exercise before work. I had to leave early because it's raining and the commute is generally worse on a rainy day...made it in an hour. I'm dragging now already!
    Plan is to track everything today since I started the Biggest Loser challenge yesterday (and overate on Saturday).

Have a good Monday all.

Kimses in MA