WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa - HOORAY!! Good going, hope it works out well. And thank you for your comments. I do feel much better this afternoon. Pushed it and did weights this morning and stationary bike this afternoon.

Janetr OKC
  • cargram
    cargram Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies - I'm a newbie here. I notice there's already a Carol in the group... do you have room for one more? I'm committing myself to lose 30 pounds and I'm doing it for my health more than for my looks. I think looking better is simply a beneficial side effect to being healthy. The biggest advantages to being a healthy weight is that you FEEL better and have more energy. Tomorrow night should be interesting ... I signed up for 3 weeks with a personal trainer. I'm really nervous. I haven't exercised for more than a year, and my body is so stiff and I'm so out of shape I just dread the pain that is going to come, but I know it's critical to my well being.

I have been diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm. I have a spot in my heart that is weak and stretched out and too much strain will cause it to burst... most people don't survive when that happens. When I got the diagnosis I was a frightened and didn't know how to incorporate new restrictions into overall wellness. I went from being very active with a healthy weight lifting and cardio regime to hardly moving at all. The cardiologist wants me to be active but I have a restriction of not being able to lift more than 20 pounds. So I should be able to do Zumba, walk, hike, any "non-intense cardio" - BUT then I got plantarfaciatis and I just quit moving. I've gained weight, my whole body hurts, and I have zero energy. Now it's time to get out of the pity party and toughen up.

I'm looking forward to joining this group and sharing stories, hints, and motivation. My goals for this month are:
    1. Exercise 5 days this week, rest one day, and stretch one day
    2. Log ALL my foods and stay within my calorie limits
    3. Lighten up and enjoy myself
    4. Drink my water
    5. Make all the wellness appointments I've been procrastinating: Dentist, Cardiologist, and get a physical.

Wish me luck!
    Carol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :) Gretchen Rubin in her amazing book, "Better Than Before" which is about habits, says that convenience is a good strategy for keeping a habit. Having weight training equipment at home or a going to a gym that's easy to get to will assure sticking to that habit. Heather described it perfectly. The same is true for having the right food in the house so it's easy to fix the food that you've chosen for your day...also keeping an emergency snack with you so you don't feel required to go to a fast food place when hungry away from home.

:) I took a walk through my neighborhood with a friend who is in the middle of serious clutter cleaning....she has a house here and a storage unit on Texas where she lived before and she's trying to simplify her life. Compared to her, I am a minimalist. She read the two books I recommended and wanted to share her progress with me.
    cargram wrote: »

Wish me luck!
    Carol

:) Welcome, you have a bunch of challenges to your weight loss but it sounds like you have a plan in place. Where are you from? Since we already have a Carol, you can sign your location (specific or general) so we can tell you apart.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    CJ - such talent!!!! love the afgan, I have never seen a theme like that... just colors

Cargram - Carol - welcome

Kim in N. Cal
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Well DH and I joined the YM this past weekend and I went to my first water exercise class in nearly a year. I am already feeling it. Went up to Granite Falls yesterday to see my DSis who fell off a ladder and broke her left ankle and shattered her right heel a few weeks ago. She was in the hospital for ten days and had three surgeries. She has air casts on both legs but is doing better than expected. They first said she would be nonweight-bearing for three months but have backed off to about two now. She and my DBIL were here visiting for my DN's wedding so are stuck here for a while longer. DSis is looking forward to getting back home to CA. Ginger the dog looks gorgeous, she just got groomed this morning.

Janetr - Glad things are beginning to look up a bit for you.

Becca - Love the picture of the lady on the beach. It is perfect for you.

Charleen - The quilt is gorgeous and blue is my favorite color. My DM does counted cross stitch and she does not sell anything of hers either. She says she gives it only to people she loves.

Kim - Hope your day off helps and your cold leaves asap.

Lisa - You really have a lot going on. Wow!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, love the afghan squares!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.02min, 13.7amph, 138mhr, 2.9mi = 97c
    JOG- 37.11min, 9.17ap/min mi, 6.4-6.8sp, 136ahr, 152mhr, 4mi = 372c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.45min, 13amph, 145mhr 1.4mi = 84c
    ride wk 2 hm- 49.27min, 12.3amph, 153mhr, 10.1mi = 497c
    total cal 1050
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the convenience. I do an online workout in my livingroom. My trainer is only 1/2 mile from me so I walk there and my normal walking routes are in the neighborhood. If I had to get in the car to go to a park or something it would never happen. I have a rowing machine next to my bedroom and it gets used on days I don't walk (rain rain rain of course). The best exercise though is the joy of gardening, yard work and playing with the grandkids. I'm all about that type of exercise. :smiley:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    got my new monkey feet in today... put them on, just like any new shoe, gotta break them in so they can stretch out!

oh great ride home, first time this year on the skinny bike. i felt fast. according to my app i was :0)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sat at the computer all day today ... got started on a spreadsheet project that won't let go of me. But I did stop to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner ... and I also watched the last episode of Granchester and a move on Netflix and had a nice talk on the phone with my DSis and Dson, so I wasn't completely on the machine :) ... it was raining most of the day but tomorrow should be a dry day and I plan to go work outside for about 1 hour.

Mmy hevens, this thread really moves! There were 78 posts since my last visit, this is a really popular thread!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Food was an issue today. Did not get enough to be able to go to the gym. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Did take my dog for a walk to clear my head. Did not work but she was happy to be walking the neighborhood.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • lawmiller1
    lawmiller1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    Thanks Barbie for continuing the thread. Now I have to see if I can go back and get caught up for April. Boy, miss a couple of days and there is a lot of reading. Since I started somewhere in the middle of the month I didn't really set many goals for April. So for May
    1. Still working on cleaning out the closet. Did manage to put some things aside for charity just going through the dressers.
    2. Drink more water, I've gotten pretty lax with that.
    3. TRY to watch salt intake!! I can be a salt -aholic.
    4. Continue to log every meal.
    5. And last but not least add different forms of exercise to the mix.

Have a great night and morning everyone, and Charlene I love the quilt. All of you ambitious ladies both inspire me and depress me at the same time!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options

Did 1 section of the Hot Body Boot Camp DVD. I'm not sure I like this DVD. Then held my plank for 2 min 50 sec, then did 50 minutes of Gilad's Quick Fit Body Sculpting DVD.

Well, the electrician came here today. He can't figure out what the problem is, it must be in the drive. It works if you have a non-GFI breaker, but it trips a GFI breaker. He suggested (but can't do it) that we put in a non-GFI just so that we can start to get the pool cleared of the algae

The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jilliam Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD.

Kristi - what kind of certification are you studying for?

We didn't go to bowling today since we thought the electrician might be back. We'll probably go to ceramics tonight and then mahjongg for me.

Power washed 4 sections of the driveway today. Only have 5 more to do. I like to do a bit at a time and then it gets done. Plus...I'm in the sun so working on my tan (or really burn)

Brenda, where did you get the Hillary Studio Method DVD?

Just found this site called Video Fitness where you can exchange DVD's. Looks interesting. I know I have a few that I don't care for (like this Hot Body Boot Camp one and I have a step by Cathe one that is really too advanced for me. I like a step DVD that doesn't have a whole lot of turns and stuff, basic stuff. I feel I get a better workout with the basics.)

Meg - HI! Maybe we can help lift you up??? Why not give it a try????

Lisa - congrats on getting the job! They sure are lucky to have you

carlaerie - welcome! You've come to a great place for motivation.

And the pool saga continues.....the electrician says there is nothing wrong in the control box, it must be the drive. Yes, Hayward gave us two and each of them tripped the GFI breaker. the electrician one time put in a non-GFI and the pump worked with that one. Don't ask me to explain it. So tonight Vince bought a non-GFI breaker to put in. We went to ceramics then I went to mahjongg, Vince went to Lowes Hardware after ceramics. Now home and touched up my roots. Boy, I can't WAIT to get my hair cut and colored.

Cheri - I absolutey love those under-the-sea blocks.

Carol - Welcome! The more, the merrier. I don't know if you know it or not, but most personal trainers get a kickback from those guys who install the railings around the toilet....:) You may be sore at first, but you'll adapt.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Cheri, I love the afghan squares.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • tracefork421
    tracefork421 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh Joyce, I'm so glad you went back to the dentist. I think you'll be feeling better in no time. So sorry about the dry socket. I live in Northern Indiana about 25 minutes from Lake Michigan.

I'm out until tomorrow. Night all!
    Jamie from Indiana
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    may is national ride your bike to work month, or bike month.. since i do it anyway, i encourage u to do it sometime, if you don't work anymore, then ride it somewhere, to the store even!

I may ride my bike somewhere - but not to work - it is 120 kms ( approx. 70 miles) one way to work... I would never make it!!

Congrats on registering early for the Marathon early - You two will ace it, I am sure.

Lillian in west Central Saskatchewan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    New Carol, does your doctor know about how much your blood pressure will be going up with Zumba and your training? This nurse is worried about that. As you said, it can be a very life threatening condition.

Wow Jamie, you are on the opposite end than me. Isn't Indiana having fun right now. I will be glad when tomorrow is over.

I think my packing is coming out. I don't know if that is something to be expected or not. I have an appointment on Wednesday for him (her, the dental assistant) to change it. Thank you to people like Allison that do the job that the doctor orders but doesn't do. So far I haven't seen any difference but I have only taken one antibiotic and I can't eat much. Tomorrow I am going to have to go to the store and get me some things I can make into smoothies. I don't have a smoothie machine, just the small ninja. I know there is a ready made smoothie that you add something to it but I am sure it has a lot of added things to it. So far the only fruit I can come up with that I like is a banana. I would have to chew canned peaches and the pineapples I already have at home would really have to be chewed and my jaw just does not do that right now. I don't even think I can eat a can of soup unless it is completely cream like tomato soup. I wish I could make a grilled cheese sandwich and cut it in little bites but so far it's a no go.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Joyce - smooth ideas, a blender will do the trick or the ninja, you may have to do batches - but I would not worry about fresh fruit, but buy fresh frozen - as it is a bit early for really good fresh fruit - frozen berrys, peaches, mangos the fresh bananas, and you could add tofu or peanutbutter, or greek yogurt for protein....

smiles Kim