55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• bubbex2
    bubbex2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and have been trying to lose for over a year. Not a lot...just 15 lbs. I had all kinds of tests to see what was wrong, but it all boiled down to carbs. That was all I was eating. Now that I am really carb careful, I have lost almost 10 lbs. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want. I did that yesterday because my son and daughter in law took my boyfriend and me to lunch and a ballet in Charlotte. I really over did it. Now I have to be seriously careful this week. I can't exersize the way I usually do because I just had a lumpectomy for breast cancer. Once the soreness is better, and I'm cleared, I can go back to 3x a week and classes.
    I feel much better since I lost the weight. I can get into some clothes I couldn't wear. Still have a ways to go to get into all of them, but I'm determined. Carbs are a killer especially at my age.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    After losing 40+ lbs, I thought I was golden ! But I had a physical last week & the doctor says I need to lose yet another TWENTY pounds !!! Cholesterol is higher than it should be ..... and so on ...... everything increasing risk for cardiac problems. I did slack off this summer, that's true. But I can't lose focus even for a short while, because it really does come back & kick me in the butt B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    bubbex2 wrote: »
    I am 68 and have been trying to lose for over a year. Not a lot...just 15 lbs. I had all kinds of tests to see what was wrong, but it all boiled down to carbs. That was all I was eating. Now that I am really carb careful, I have lost almost 10 lbs. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want. I did that yesterday because my son and daughter in law took my boyfriend and me to lunch and a ballet in Charlotte. I really over did it. Now I have to be seriously careful this week. I can't exersize the way I usually do because I just had a lumpectomy for breast cancer. Once the soreness is better, and I'm cleared, I can go back to 3x a week and classes.
    I feel much better since I lost the weight. I can get into some clothes I couldn't wear. Still have a ways to go to get into all of them, but I'm determined. Carbs are a killer especially at my age.

Good for you!

@bubbex2 (and other reading this thread):Did you know that regular vigorous exercise, according to research, contributes as much to avoiding breast cancer recurrence/mortality as does chemotherapy (in at least some age groups/cancer types)? (NB: This is true completely independent of weight loss.)

And did you-all know that being overweight is one of the risk factors for getting breast cancer (and other cancers) in the first place?

We're doing a good thing for ourselves in *many* ways by losing weight and/or getting active.

I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III (i.e., quite advanced) breast cancer. I suspect being active may well have contributed to my staying alive & healthy this long. And it's fun, besides!

Cheers!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I'm also on the exercise bandwagon. Hated it -- but now I've seen the light. For me, exercise is necessary to keep off the 50 lbs I've lost over the last year and a half. I have to keep active to stay healthy along with logging on MFP to keep my weight within normal BMI ranges.

I have to watch every single thing that I put into my mouth or I'm afraid I will pack on the pounds again. At 66 years old there's just no other way, but truly it's a small price to pay for staying as healthy as possible well into old age. The food just does not mean that much to me anymore -- I'd rather be healthy.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good for you!

@bubbex2 (and other reading this thread):Did you know that regular vigorous exercise, according to research, contributes as much to avoiding breast cancer recurrence/mortality as does chemotherapy (in at least some age groups/cancer types)? (NB: This is true completely independent of weight loss.)

And did you-all know that being overweight is one of the risk factors for getting breast cancer (and other cancers) in the first place?

We're doing a good thing for ourselves in *many* ways by losing weight and/or getting active.

I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III (i.e., quite advanced) breast cancer. I suspect being active may well have contributed to my staying alive & healthy this long. And it's fun, besides!

Cheers!

Ann, congrats on finding a healthy lifestyle. My sister and best friend are survivors too. I wish they would listen when I tell them this. But I am so far, free of any cancer or heart disease, so couldn't possibly know what I am talking about. :(
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I'm with @AnnPT77 and @trina1049. Exercise is the key! No cancer or other issues here, however, I do feel a ton better when I get in a good hour on the elliptical every morning plus some strength training and a run or walk later in the day. I have lost 69# here and plan to keep it all off! My blood pressure is back to normal and my pulse is at a very nice place. It feels good to feel good (trite, I know, but true).
  • bubbex2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good for you!

Cheers!

I have heard that. I have been doing weight training for over 18 years. My big problem is that I hate cardio. I know I have to do it but I have to force myself. I am going to the gym tomorrow to do a lower body workout. Since that doesn't take long, I will make sure I do cardio also.

I am lucky because my cancer was DCIS. Non invasive. Today, though, I have been thinking that I made the wrong choice to only have a bilateral lumpectomy. I am so afraid it will come back. I'll find out about the pathology on Tuesday. That will determine whether or not I need radiation. No chemo. I think I will feel better about my choice after I hear the results. Surgery was on Wednesday and I'm still pretty sore. I am not allowed to lift anything. Once I get past this, I will try to increase my workouts. I do not want to be back here again (cancer) and will do everything I can to make sure I take care of myself.
  • trina1049
    Options
    @bubbex2 thinking of you! Hope you heal soon and are restored to good health. You've had quite a journey already. Stay strong.
  • bubbex2
    Options
    Went to the Y yesterday, but for some reason, I had very little energy. I did a lower body workout and 30 minutes of cardio. Today I get the results of the pathology report from the lumpectomy.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Went to the Y yesterday, but for some reason, I had very little energy. I did a lower body workout and 30 minutes of cardio. Today I get the results of the pathology report from the lumpectomy.

Praying for good results.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Praying for you @bubbex2
  • bubbex2
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I went to my doctor today and the news isn't great, but it could be a lot worse. The margins weren't large enough for radiation, so I need to have another surgery on Friday. It will be easier than last week since my doctor will use the same incision. Then I will have to have radiation and will be on medication for five years to block estrogen production since the tumor was estrogen and progesterone positive (happy hot flashes!). The side effects from radiation are not fun. I asked my doctor about going ahead with a mastectomy , but she doesn't feel there are any benefits since the tumor was non invasive. So now I just deal with anxiety. I will be able to do an upper body workout tomorrow then I'll have to take another week off. I have no idea when I'll start treatment.
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    @bubbex2 - will be praying for you and a speedy recovery.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    @bubbex2 - another "cyberspace buddy" wishing you well and praying for a great recovery.
  • bubbex2
    Options
    You are all wonderful!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Prayers are with you!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers!
  • trina1049
    Options
    @bubbex2 praying for you and your family for a full recovery. Stay strong.
  • bubbex2
    Options
    Thanks for all your support. it's exactly what i need right now. I got in a good workout today. I don't know how long it will be until I can go back to the Y. Probably another week after Friday's surgery. The scale was boring today, but it looks like I've lost inches. I will try on some size 4 pants to see if they fit!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!