Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The funny thing is that she was fully aware that I planned to bulk at 1 pound per month, and she said it was fine.

Also, I'm glad to see that this thread has been of help to others.

One pound per month? Wow, good luck with your wheel spinning for the rest of your life.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Also, as a random comment, Sara is super busy with her group. Have you asked her again for your program, or have you been waiting 3-4 weeks to see if it will just appear in your inbox?

Maybe send her a reminder saying you know she's busy, but is it still on her todo list. And maybe ask her for an appropriate timeline for future reminders in case it falls to the bottom (every week, every two weeks, etc.).
    My last correspondence with her was on the 17th, as she said then she would try to get it to me over the weekend. But she did also say she was pretty busy, so I understand.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jbgolf52 wrote: »
    Seriously for a sec, can a mod just delete this thread? It's clear that the OP is wasting everyone's time and is not going to listen to anyone. This post is just taking up space for a more worthwhile one.
    It would be nice for me to still see the advice at some later point…

For what? You don't absorb anything. So basically you're saying tight now, today people are wasting their time with you. Does @Sarauk2sf know that you just are flip flopping and aren't serious about bulking? Since you are going to actually bulk are you going to continue giving out advice in the bulking section?
    The funny thing is that she was fully aware that I planned to bulk at 1 pound per month, and she said it was fine.

You're glad it helped others? But you couldn't even bother to let it help you? Makes absolutely no sense.
    It has helped me. Instead of just trying to "chill out" with my training while waiting like I was originally thinking, I took the advice to step up my training routine with my machine, starting yesterday.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm usually a lurker, but I wanted to chime in. I'm a 5'9" woman, and I'm 6 weeks into my first bulk. In the time this thread has been going, I've gained some weight, been a boss in the gym, and increased my daily calories by 100. This thread has been incredibly helpful to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've learned a crap-ton about bulking. Secondly, I've realized that no matter how neurotic I may feel on this bulk, I'm not nearly as crazy or out-of-touch as OP. On behalf of all of the lurkers out here reaping these benefits, thank you for your time and knowledge.

well at least we helped someone...

glad to hear that your bulk is progressing nicely ...

sadly, mine is about to come to an end...:(

Mine too. In fact, I'm ending mine about a month short so I can join a local program with my wife to provide her motivations and supports with her weight loss. Ultimately, I added ~20 pounds over ~6 months in a nice steady slow bulk of almost 1 pound/week...ending at 195 pounds at 5'11" so a little short of my 200 GW. (Bonus: my calculated TDEE (without exercise) went from ~3100 to ~3500 during this time presumably because of the weight increase.)

Now, no one talk to me for the next 3-5 months as I shed 10 of these pounds.

I am either stopping at 185 or February 1st whatever comes first...I have been gaining just about over .5 pound per week, and all my measurements have been increasing...including my waist! LOL

started at 175ish and as of last week I was 183.5 ...

Now I need to cut down for beach season ...vanity is my favorite sin, to quote Al Pacino...:)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Seriously for a sec, can a mod just delete this thread? It's clear that the OP is wasting everyone's time and is not going to listen to anyone. This post is just taking up space for a more worthwhile one.

For what? You don't absorb anything. So basically you're saying tight now, today people are wasting their time with you. Does @Sarauk2sf know that you just are flip flopping and aren't serious about bulking? Since you are going to actually bulk are you going to continue giving out advice in the bulking section?

You're glad it helped others? But you couldn't even bother to let it help you? Makes absolutely no sense.
    It has helped me. Instead of just trying to "chill out" with my training while waiting like I was originally thinking, I took the advice to step up my training routine with my machine, starting yesterday.

*facepalm*

Understanding what to do and actually doing it are two different things. Because of what I suspect is a slight ED issue and / or exercise issue related to it. IMHO of course
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

*facepalm*

I think OP has an unusual affinity for this "machine"....
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    He knows what to do (because everyone has told him exactly what to do), he just can't bring himself to do it
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    He knows what to do (because everyone has told him exactly what to do), he just can't bring himself to do it

Hard to say what the resistance is, gym phobia, ED, or whatever but it's like arguing with your teenage daughter.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a lurker, but I wanted to chime in. I'm a 5'9" woman, and I'm 6 weeks into my first bulk. In the time this thread has been going, I've gained some weight, been a boss in the gym, and increased my daily calories by 100. This thread has been incredibly helpful to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I've learned a crap-ton about bulking. Secondly, I've realized that no matter how neurotic I may feel on this bulk, I'm not nearly as crazy or out-of-touch as OP. On behalf of all of the lurkers out here reaping these benefits, thank you for your time and knowledge.

well at least we helped someone...

glad to hear that your bulk is progressing nicely ...

sadly, mine is about to come to an end...:(

Mine too. In fact, I'm ending mine about a month short so I can join a local program with my wife to provide her motivations and supports with her weight loss. Ultimately, I added ~20 pounds over ~6 months in a nice steady slow bulk of almost 1 pound/week...ending at 195 pounds at 5'11" so a little short of my 200 GW. (Bonus: my calculated TDEE (without exercise) went from ~3100 to ~3500 during this time presumably because of the weight increase.)

Now, no one talk to me for the next 3-5 months as I shed 10 of these pounds.

I am either stopping at 185 or February 1st whatever comes first...I have been gaining just about over .5 pound per week, and all my measurements have been increasing...including my waist! LOL

started at 175ish and as of last week I was 183.5 ...

Now I need to cut down for beach season ...vanity is my favorite sin, to quote Al Pacino...:)

I hear ya. Same with me, except my waist measurement fortunately stopped gaining for a long while mid-bulk. Had recently started increasing again. That's my last place to lose too. And yeah, I cut for summer too...why, I don't know since I'm an old married guy. I'll just be ready about a month earlier than usual...or maybe I'll actually get down to the BF% I want this year. From there, I plan to do a slow bulk/recomp over the summer and then back to EAT ALL TEH FOODZ!1!!eleven!!1 in the fall again. I'm still trying to make up for decades of chronic scrawnyism, so I'm still trying to add net mass each year. That also gives me an excuse to only seriously cut once each year and be at least at a slow bulk the rest of the year.

And ugh. Just thinking about eating at a deficit is making me angsty...especially since I'm planning to be at a slight deficit for several months because that's harder than a more substantial deficit IMHO.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hard to say what the resistance is, gym phobia, ED, or whatever but it's like arguing with your teenage daughter.

You must have nice teenage daughters. This IS irritating but he's got nothing on my lassies =D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

You must have nice teenage daughters. This IS irritating but he's got nothing on my lassies =D

My teenage daughter and I almost never argue about anything. In fact, we very seldom even disagree on anything.

I must be doing it wrong.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

My teenage daughter and I almost never argue about anything. In fact, we very seldom even disagree on anything.

I must be doing it wrong.

LOL, I have 4 daughters and the third one is now 16, so please tell me how you did it so wrong so I can make the same mistakes! ;)
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I do have a question in regards to training with my machine. Should I be training to absolute failure? I am wondering what would be the better thing to do with this since I haven't seen much information on training with machines. I have done so with a couple exercises, but wasn't sure if it's something I should really be doing or not.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I do have a question in regards to training with my machine. Should I be training to absolute failure? I am wondering what would be the better thing to do with this since I haven't seen much information on training with machines. I have done so with a couple exercises, but wasn't sure if it's something I should really be doing or not.

Stop worrying about training to failure. What you need to do is train longer than 20 or 30 minutes. Obviously you have decided that that "machine" is what you're sticking with. 10 pages of advice out the window I guess.

As far as training to failure, no you don't train to failure.
    Ok, I'll stop a couple reps short of failure then. I've generally been resting 1-2 minutes between sets when I bench press, and it sounds like I need to rest longer even with higher reps. I've been struggling to get the same number of reps in on following sets.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I realize this a "lesser of two evils" situation. But in keeping with my training plan, I'm trying to decide whether I should just do quite a few sets of leg presses on leg day or should I include some leg extensions and/or leg curls. In other words, would I be better off doing 5 or 6 sets of leg presses with no isolation exercises or fewer sets of leg presses and add in the isolation exercises? Not sure if it matters, but as mentioned earlier in the thread I would be leg pressing one leg at a time.