Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing my point. For some many pages people have been telling me to get to work in a gym and train properly. How can I do that right now??

I just told you. Get a job AT a gym. They will include membership as one of the perks.
    That's assuming they're hiring…

Where do you live, roughly?
    Maryland.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You guys are missing my point. For some many pages people have been telling me to get to work in a gym and train properly. How can I do that right now??

I just told you. Get a job AT a gym. They will include membership as one of the perks.

Maryland.

www.indeed.com
    www.careerbuilder.com
    www.monster.com
    www.linkedin.com
    www.ziprecruiter.com
    www.gymjobs.com
    www.simplyhired.com
    www.beyond.com

Google local gyms in MD and look at corporate wesbites
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I will tell you how you can do it, the same way I do and many others do, we just go out and do it. I have a full time job, a part time job and I make time to train 3 days per week. I get up at 5 am and go to be around 11pm. I work almost 60 hours per week. I'm sorry but if you don't have the drive to better yourself or do more and instead would rather say that the work pays close to minimum wage then you have a problem. A problem we can't fix. This is America, land of opportunity. You take that opportunity and you ring it's neck and suck everything you can out of it. You get out of life what you put in. Excuses get you nothing. Nothing.

You are something else. When I first read they didn't let you use the gym I thought "Well then how can he get a membership, maybe work there". I guess you just refuse to analyze situations. This is getting ridiculous already.
    I never said that I wouldn't look into the options that have been mentioned (and I did state a few minutes ago I was going to take bro's suggestion into looking at local gyms for employment). But in all likelihood, I'll respond back and say that they're not hiring or I don't meet the qualifications. It does not mean I won't try in the first place, but if I don't meet the job requirements or they're not hiring, there's not much else I can do (speaking in terms of a gym). Obviously I can continue to look for jobs elsewhere, but as I already stated landing a job is not going to enable me to afford a gym membership immediately.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Maryland.
    Here's one search result:
    http://www.indeed.com/q-Gym-l-Maryland-jobs.html
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    There is another gym around and yes my college gym has a membership. However, I don't currently have a source of income right now, so I cannot afford a membership anywhere.

Do you go to school? Can you get a job? What do you do for a living?
    I'm a full time student at another college (mostly online school, however). I have been looking for part time work.
    And that college, does it have a campus by you with a gym?
    How have you been looking for work? What kind of work? How long have you been looking?
    First question: No.
    I've been frequently checking my old school's job connection website for local jobs, local government website for jobs, among other places. In the past I've also applied for other paid internships I've seen elsewhere, and just a few weeks ago I applied for a job near where I am. My focus has mostly been computer-oriented. However, I've also been looking at other jobs as well, which includes the job I last applied for. Most jobs I see are not entry level. I have had a couple internships/jobs in between, but this has been ongoing for over a year.

How about retail, a store, a mall, a supermarket, a fast food restaurant etc?
    I've looked that some, but I'll admit not as much as other job types.

I am a licensed practical nurse. I graduated in August, passed my NCLEX September 5th. Started hard-core job searching. Applied to go back to school and finish my RN. When early November hit and I was still striking out for nursing jobs, I received my acceptance to start back in school in January 2015. I immediately started applying for retail jobs (seasonal, yo!) and was interviewed and hired November 10th, orientation on the 17th, first day of work the 19th. I averaged about 32 hrs/week over the holidays and since I work hard, they offered me a part-time job, the only person they did so out of 8 seasonal employees. I go to school, work 2-3 shifts a week (12-24 hrs basically) and oh, did I mention I have four kids?

Stop making excuses, get a job, eat some damn food and lift some damn weights, or shut the hell up about it!
    And I will keep looking. But please don't make it seem like getting a job is a piece of cake for everyone. Heck, I know people in my area who graduated from college years ago and still can't get a job in their field. For most of the entry level jobs I've seen, the pay is close to minimum wage. To me, your last statement makes it sound like if I land a job tomorrow I can just go out in a few days and go buy a gym membership or buy some weights.

auddii wrote:
    Ha, I missed this. Obvious answer...
    I saw it, and yes I will look into seeing if any of the local gyms are hiring.

Get on USA Jobs and apply for the Pathways program.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    This will only bring it back to your machine love and hang up about free weights:
    Convict Conditioning (you can find free pdf)
    You Are Your Own Gym (again, can find a free pdf)

You have internet access. You have a body. You don't need money to workout.
  • auddii
    Options
    Also, I'm kind of glad Jo isn't around. Isn't she working 3 jobs to support herself right now?
  • ForecasterJason
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is another gym around and yes my college gym has a membership. However, I don't currently have a source of income right now, so I cannot afford a membership anywhere.

Do you go to school? Can you get a job? What do you do for a living?
    I'm a full time student at another college (mostly online school, however). I have been looking for part time work.
    And that college, does it have a campus by you with a gym?
    How have you been looking for work? What kind of work? How long have you been looking?
    First question: No.
    I've been frequently checking my old school's job connection website for local jobs, local government website for jobs, among other places. In the past I've also applied for other paid internships I've seen elsewhere, and just a few weeks ago I applied for a job near where I am. My focus has mostly been computer-oriented. However, I've also been looking at other jobs as well, which includes the job I last applied for. Most jobs I see are not entry level. I have had a couple internships/jobs in between, but this has been ongoing for over a year.

How about retail, a store, a mall, a supermarket, a fast food restaurant etc?
    I've looked that some, but I'll admit not as much as other job types.

I am a licensed practical nurse. I graduated in August, passed my NCLEX September 5th. Started hard-core job searching. Applied to go back to school and finish my RN. When early November hit and I was still striking out for nursing jobs, I received my acceptance to start back in school in January 2015. I immediately started applying for retail jobs (seasonal, yo!) and was interviewed and hired November 10th, orientation on the 17th, first day of work the 19th. I averaged about 32 hrs/week over the holidays and since I work hard, they offered me a part-time job, the only person they did so out of 8 seasonal employees. I go to school, work 2-3 shifts a week (12-24 hrs basically) and oh, did I mention I have four kids?

Stop making excuses, get a job, eat some damn food and lift some damn weights, or shut the hell up about it!
    And I will keep looking. But please don't make it seem like getting a job is a piece of cake for everyone. Heck, I know people in my area who graduated from college years ago and still can't get a job in their field. For most of the entry level jobs I've seen, the pay is close to minimum wage. To me, your last statement makes it sound like if I land a job tomorrow I can just go out in a few days and go buy a gym membership or buy some weights.

auddii wrote:
    Ha, I missed this. Obvious answer...
    I saw it, and yes I will look into seeing if any of the local gyms are hiring.

Get on USA Jobs and apply for the Pathways program.
    Thanks, but I've already been applying for numerous internships there on a general continual basis.

This will only bring it back to your machine love and hang up about free weights:
    Convict Conditioning (you can find free pdf)
    You Are Your Own Gym (again, can find a free pdf)

You have internet access. You have a body. You don't need money to workout.
    You are right, I can just work with my own body.

My whole point was that (unless I can actually get a job at a gym very soon), in the short term I don't have any other options for working out with weights other than (1) bodyweight, (2) my weight machine, (3) the 20 lb dumbbells I have.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Get off the f***ing computer. Or at least off of MFP and onto one of the many jobsites there are - many of which were posted above.

Step 2: F*** "your field." You have no job - go to McDonald's or something.

Step 3: Get paid.

FFS, already.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Step 1: Get off the f***ing computer. Or at least off of MFP and onto one of the many jobsites there are - many of which were posted above.

FFS, already.

this.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

FFS, already.

Sometimes we need to swallow what pride we have a just go work. I know plenty of college graduates that had to go get work doing something that had nothing to do with their field of studies.

This is me. There are 3 other people I graduated with in my current program to become an RN and they all have jobs in our field. Despite this, I have zero problem with saying where I work and what I do. I worked hard to become a licensed nurse and does it suck that I didn't find a job in my field, using my hard-earned knowledge and skills? Yes, yes it does. And does it suck to make 8.50$/hr instead of 14-16$/hr? Yes, yes it does.

You know what sucks more? Having no job and making 0$/hr. Oh, and making excuses. That sucks more.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

FFS, already.

Sometimes we need to swallow what pride we have a just go work. I know plenty of college graduates that had to go get work doing something that had nothing to do with their field of studies.

This is me. There are 3 other people I graduated with in my current program to become an RN and they all have jobs in our field. Despite this, I have zero problem with saying where I work and what I do. I worked hard to become a licensed nurse and does it suck that I didn't find a job in my field, using my hard-earned knowledge and skills? Yes, yes it does. And does it suck to make 8.50$/hr instead of 14-16$/hr? Yes, yes it does.

You know what sucks more? Having no job and making 0$/hr. Oh, and making excuses. That sucks more.

Yup.

Side note: The fact that you state you would get 14-16 an hour for being an RN makes me sad. You deserve so much more. I live in NYC and have maybe 30 friends that are nurses and they get a lot more. I do figure it's NYC vs AL and cost of living is higher but you deserve so much more than that.

Sorry, 14-16$/hr as an LPN. RN is more, definitely. A small part of the reason for going back to school to complete that part of my education. :p

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    After reading your thread I have come to one of two conclusions:

1. You are a troll.
    2. You don't actually want help, you want people to tell you that it's not your fault you fail.

Either way I have decided to direct my effort to others who actually want help. I highly encourage others to do the same. Not only in this thread, but in other threads that he jumps into and turns into threads about himself.
  • auddii
    Options

FFS, already.

Yup.

Side note: The fact that you state you would get 14-16 an hour for being an RN makes me sad. You deserve so much more. I live in NYC and have maybe 30 friends that are nurses and they get a lot more. I do figure it's NYC vs AL and cost of living is higher but you deserve so much more than that.

Sorry, 14-16$/hr as an LPN. RN is more, definitely. A small part of the reason for going back to school to complete that part of my education. :p

Yeah, do it. If you have the means then definitely finish your education. That's my only regret in life. And now I lose 650 dollars of the top a month and my hands are tied into working like a dog in order make ends meet. My parents always told me "Work hard in school so you don't have to work hard like us when you're older". I didn't listen.

I was super lucky in that my interest was in a field where higher education is paid for because you work in a lab most of the time, so it's considered "work", so minimal student loans. That said, finding lab jobs is almost impossible right now due to slashing in research funds. Even more luck, I hated working in the lab and love rules, so now I work in regulation (and the government mandates my job exists).
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    no-answer.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    It's actually really easy to eat an extra 500 calories per day of healthy (nutritious) food, as opposed to foods which are simply high in calories (doughnuts).

1 slice of whole wheat bread is around 100 calories.
    2T of peanut butter is 180 calories.
    2oz (uncooked) of whole wheat pasta is 180 calories. That's not much.
    1 cup of sliced avocado (MFP says 146g) is 234 calories.
    5oz of salmon is about 260 calories.
    A 6 oz pork chop is just over 300 calories.
    2T of hummus is 70 calories. That's nothing. I usually eat 5 servings, which is 350 calories.
    100g (just over 3 oz) of roasted almonds is almost 600 calories. I could easily eat that!

bulking- you don't understand it.