Bulking – A Complete Guide For Beginners

Options
123457»

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    1. How much calories surplus to bulk at above TDEE?
    2. When weight gain stalls, how often should you increase your calories (weekly or every 2 weeks) and how much calories to increase?

1) 250+ TDEE for clean bulk. More than 500 above TDEE is a dirty bulk.
    2) Calculators recommend you recalculate your TDEE for every 5 lbs (2kg) your weight changes.
    You can also calculate your extra calories if you know that: 250 surplus a day is a 0.5 lbs a week gain, because 3500 surplus calories is a 1 pound gain.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just finished a cut and switching to a bulk. Target is approximately 3150 calories a day to start and ramping up by approximately 50 every 2 weeks. Just picked up a bunch of CC Cookies, Pop Tarts and Ice Cream to help me hit the daily targets. I love bulking!!!! :)

...and before anybody asks, Yes those all fit my macro profile!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. How much calories surplus to bulk at above TDEE?
    2. When weight gain stalls, how often should you increase your calories (weekly or every 2 weeks) and how much calories to increase?

1. either 250 if you want a half pound gain and minimal fat gain; or 500 if you want a pound per week gain and don't care about the extra fat gain.
    2. if weight gain stalls then you should increase calories by 50-100 a day and see what happens at next weigh in.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bumping
  • harieta
    harieta Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great thread!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Great post. I have a bit of a question which goes across the whole cardio / strength work bit. To put it simply. I enjoy ultramarathons BUT I also want to over all increase my size and strength. I'm 5"7 and 150lbs.
    Next year I am looking at doing quite a few Tough mudder type events but will be running those along side a few ultras.
    This of course comes with a few problems, the biggest one being that I am intending to do SL 5x5 3 times a week and running 3 or 4 times a week.
    Midweek runs will be quite short only around 10k but weekend runs will probably be around 30km - 40km. How much of an effort or slow down on my ability to get bigger and stronger will these long runs have.

I will of course eat back the calories burnt on a run on top of the calorie surplus for bulking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Great post. I have a bit of a question which goes across the whole cardio / strength work bit. To put it simply. I enjoy ultramarathons BUT I also want to over all increase my size and strength. I'm 5"7 and 150lbs.
    Next year I am looking at doing quite a few Tough mudder type events but will be running those along side a few ultras.
    This of course comes with a few problems, the biggest one being that I am intending to do SL 5x5 3 times a week and running 3 or 4 times a week.
    Midweek runs will be quite short only around 10k but weekend runs will probably be around 30km - 40km. How much of an effort or slow down on my ability to get bigger and stronger will these long runs have.

I will of course eat back the calories burnt on a run on top of the calorie surplus for bulking.

There are generally 2 issues that can come into play, that I have seen with tons of cardio: 1. It burns a ton of calories which makes it very hard for people to consistently stay in a surplus, which makes making gains very difficult. 2. You aren't allowing for rest.

At the end of the day, you may have to decide what is your ultimate goal.. races or muscle growth. In the short term, you can try to eat like a horse and stay within a surprlus, but it may take spinning your wheels for a bit to achieve your goals.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks Psulemon. I think I know deep down that I can't put one above the other in terms of an ultimate goal, so I'm going to just have to commit the time and see how things are working out.

I'll grab some hard gainer protein shake stuff to help me hit the surplus and see if I can rotate in a rest day around training plans.
    I am actually currently running SL 5x5 while in maintenance and I'm just waiting until I get up to a level where the lifts are starting to feel hard before I start adding calories and moving in to surplus.

I guess this is just going to have to be a bit of a learning curve, how much muscle and strength can I gain while getting in better shape to run 100km :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks Psulemon. I think I know deep down that I can't put one above the other in terms of an ultimate goal, so I'm going to just have to commit the time and see how things are working out.

I'll grab some hard gainer protein shake stuff to help me hit the surplus and see if I can rotate in a rest day around training plans.
    I am actually currently running SL 5x5 while in maintenance and I'm just waiting until I get up to a level where the lifts are starting to feel hard before I start adding calories and moving in to surplus.

I guess this is just going to have to be a bit of a learning curve, how much muscle and strength can I gain while getting in better shape to run 100km :)

You definitely will want rest as your gains will come from it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I don't do ultra marathons, but I run about 15 miles per week, and during the summer cycle 200 miles a week. Sprinkle in some century rides from time to time. Really, for me, it just means I get to eat a lot....and love it :) and not to brag, I've made some pretty good gains...
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I love bulking <3
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bumping, because I do not see this under most helpful posts anymore...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I don't do ultra marathons, but I run about 15 miles per week, and during the summer cycle 200 miles a week. Sprinkle in some century rides from time to time. Really, for me, it just means I get to eat a lot....and love it :) and not to brag, I've made some pretty good gains...

That is because you are a beast!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I am confused. What is the BF% for a female to bulk? 20%?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    I am confused. What is the BF% for a female to bulk? 20%?

20% or below is ideal
  • ninjalnk
    ninjalnk Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My BodyFat % is 17% should I bulk or cut some more?

Male who is 28
    I am 5 Height FT 6.
    Weight 8.5 Stone
    Neck Inches 14
    Waist 29
    Hip 32.

I lift 3 times a week weights (60Mins), and do HIIT twice a week 40 minutes

The Miltary Calculator says I should be eating 3000 Calories plus I am not sure that is right lol
  • micah5587
    micah5587 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ninjalnk wrote: »
    My BodyFat % is 17% should I bulk or cut some more?

Male who is 28
    I am 5 Height FT 6.
    Weight 8.5 Stone
    Neck Inches 14
    Waist 29
    Hip 32.

I lift 3 times a week weights (60Mins), and do HIIT twice a week 40 minutes

The Miltary Calculator says I should be eating 3000 Calories plus I am not sure that is right lol
    Bulk.