Lululemon, worth it?

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When I prancercise™, I prefer to wear pants designed by admirers of Ayn Rand.

http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/who-is-john-galt/

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't spend upwards of $100 on a pair of sweatpants. I'd rather blow that money on a nice steak dinner.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it - I knocked the hell out of their prices until I bought the first item...and now I am sucked in . They are really good about the wear and tear on their products and don't hesitate to replace if it starts to fall apart on you way too early in the game (this has never happened to me, and I wear the hell out of their products. I just know this from friends who order from them as well).

I need a Lulu savings account, BUT they always last longer than the cheaper products I have purchase at Target or like brands.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Back in 2006 I bought a lululemon hoodie for about $75 and it faded pretty darn quick, even with air drying it. I don't think I'll ever buy another lululemon product. not worth it. I wear Target, Old navy, and nike mostly. I don't buy white bottoms at all so I wouldn't even try them on to find out if they were see through. I sweat way too much. Maybe I will consider Athleta.

Has anyone tried Title 9 or Lucy? Are they any good?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    While insanely expensive, I did buy a few pieces over the span of a few months (a couple I got on sale). Those pieces are the ones I grab first when going to work out. They're comfortable and fit me well. I also have stuff from Old Navy that I like and they seem to have held up. The one thing I don't like about Lulu is that it seems like they're constantly reinventing the wheel. The pants I have and love are no longer made and I haven't seen a "replacement" style yet. Will I buy more from there in the future? Most likely. I don't see it as a status symbol.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I buy Tuff Athletics brand from Costco, they have awesome running tanks, capris, yoga pants... Best part? My tank with a nice built in bra was 14.99 regular price. I think my capris were 17.99 (Canada)

I like the Costco stuff because as I trim down it's not a big deal to buy them in a smaller size. Maybe at goal I will splurge as the sweaters feel lovely but I'm pretty happy with my Tuff Athletics sweater from Costco too. I was able to buy it in a couple of colours also :)
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    there's a brand at tj maxx and marshalls that I buy all my pants from. I can't think of the name and it's driving me nuts! the logo looks like a sidways spring almost. anyway, they are fantastic. they have a high waist which sucks in my pooch, they stay in place, and they make my butt looks good!

looked at the tags....balanca collection by marinka. will never buy another type of workout capri. (although calvin klein is pretty good too)

Love Marika~ had a pair of their yoga pants for 6 years before they gave up the ghost. Thank you for mentioning them, was racking my brain trying to remember the name. Got them at Sports Authority for like $20 at the time.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only wear lululemon. Love the quality, though it has been slipping in the past couple years. Just go on the website to the "We made too Much" area. They always have stuff on sale. I rarely pay full price on anything! And shipping is free and takes 1 to 2 days from order to come to your door (at least in Canada)

I didn't even know that they had that section. Thank-you!!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I pretty much only wear lululemon. Love the quality, though it has been slipping in the past couple years. Just go on the website to the "We made too Much" area. They always have stuff on sale. I rarely pay full price on anything! And shipping is free and takes 1 to 2 days from order to come to your door (at least in Canada)

I didn't even know that they had that section. Thank-you!!!

Lol, it's the FIRST section I go to
  • Amycat12
    Amycat12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know I am little behind on this thread, but just got my first lululemon item new. I have bought a few used from friends. I have been eyeing the studio pants for sometime. I decided to order them online because I live nowhere near a lulu. Did my measurements, ordered, got them today and the are a bit big. Any own a pair? Do they shrink? Or should I send them back and exchange? Anyone done that before? So annoyed they are a bit big. Any input would be awesome thanks.
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this before, but it appears that the quality isn't good enough to hold up to "heavy use" by people who are not rather small in the thigh area. http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/open-letter-lululemons-founder
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I personally refuse to buy anything at that store - they pay the people who make their clothes almost nothing... and then sell with like 300% profit for their own pocket... No thanks =)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this before, but it appears that the quality isn't good enough to hold up to "heavy use" by people who are not rather small in the thigh area. http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/open-letter-lululemons-founder

I have big quads and I haven't had a problem. I wear them 1-2 times a week.
  • excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    I have purchased a few different products from Lululemon, and most of them have been worth the extra cost. I purchased their Cool Racerback Tanks in a few different colors, and every time I work out, I go for those tanks first. They are more comfortable to work out in than any other tops I own, and they are cute! I also really like "The Mat", which is the first yoga mat that I have purchased that I can use without sweat-slipping my hands and feet around.

I've also bought their pants (one pair) and I've found that I don't like the rise on them. I prefer high-rise in my workout clothes, and so I buy my running pants at Athleta.

If Athleta carried tops like the Cool Racerback Tank, I would buy them from Athleta instead. Athleta's return policy is WAY better than Lululemon's. Athleta allows you to try your clothes for a few workouts to see if they work for your needs. Lululemon won't take an item back if the tag has been removed (or 14 days have passed).

Overall, quality is comparable at Lululemon and Athleta, and I find the extra cost well worth it. Just see how you like the clothes on your body and for your workouts :-) Only buy a piece or two to test it out!
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I would classify myself as heavier in the thigh area, i'm definitely curvy down below. The run inspire crops and the speed tight are amazing! I haven't had any issues with piling and they don't go see through. I own several other pairs such as wunder unders that hold their shape and have very minimal piling after quite a few washes. I don't mind paying full price for something that will hold up and not fade. If you watch the lululemon website you can sometimes find good deals in the we made too much section. All in all, I love lulu and it's my #1 go to workout gear
  • TinyHoney
    Options
    I own a few items from Lululemon and I absolutely love them! They are very particle as well as very cute. Definitely worth buying IMO.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    Weren't some pants recalled because they were see-through?
    hmm.. got to check..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/03/19/business-lululemon-recall.html

the companie's reply was they are fine and the womens *kitten* are too big because their clothes are made for thin people. I saw this on CTV news but can't find a link to it
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/09/too-fat-for-lululemon-yoga-pants

Just seen the website. It all sounds a bit like Uniqlo but very, very expensive!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Lulu and Lucy aren't worth it, to me. My quality/price preference is to buy Adidas or Nike at Marshalls for around $20.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You can probably find less expensive versions that do the same thing. I would recommend going to Marshall's or TJ Maxx for workout clothes. They have a lot of good brands to choose from and most are half off the MSRP.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The thing about lululemon pants is that if you try them on in the store they will look good (not see through). You have to do squats and downward dog while looking in the mirror to see if they become too sheer. And this is an issue with black pants (not just light colored pants).