Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    RUNNING. When I run, I feel incredibly light, like my calves are coiled up springs. So much freedom
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Here's one I wasn't expecting at all: A while back I bought a tempur-pedic mattress. You know - one of the memory foam things. I love it. I got a fairly firm one because I don't like sinking down into it. Now that I've lost almost 25% of my body weight, I realized a couple nights ago that the mattress is starting to feel way too firm. It's like I'm lying on top of a rigid box. Not nearly as comfortable as it used to be . . . and way too expensive to replace!!!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I had more friends when I was obese. feeling lonely.

I hear ya.

I don't get this one. Why?

My skinnier prettier friends all stopped hanging out with me because I'm no longer the fat friend. My bigger friends don't want to hang out with me because I can't listen to them talk about wanting to lose weight without accidentally preaching about mfp lol
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Here's one I wasn't expecting at all: A while back I bought a tempur-pedic mattress. You know - one of the memory foam things. I love it. I got a fairly firm one because I don't like sinking down into it. Now that I've lost almost 25% of my body weight, I realized a couple nights ago that the mattress is starting to feel way too firm. It's like I'm lying on top of a rigid box. Not nearly as comfortable as it used to be . . . and way too expensive to replace!!!
    Ooh no!!!! I love memory foam! My pillow although disgustingly expensive is the best thing I ever bought. I'd hate to jade to replace it
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I'm still a long way from goal but I've lost 42kg (92lbs) so there is some improvement :) I still look at myself in the mirror though and shudder, thinking "Dammit you are still so fat"

On a positive side
    - My wife's arms can fit around me. Also the compliments I get from her. Makes me proud to be her husband.
    - Being able to dress better and being able to buy at "normal" shops. My wife used to buy my clothes because I hated clothes shopping. Now I quite like it.
    - Having the women at the office compliment me. Even the 20-somethings. Huge ego boost lol
    - Just generally being more comfortable with my surroundings and not having the have a degree in engineering to try and figure out how to walk to the loo in a full restaurant, even how to go to the loo in a restaurant. I no longer have a fear of small cubicles lol
  • Jessabi93
    Jessabi93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this on another thread, but I didn't expect to be snoring less! I didn't actually know it was that bad but apparently I used to be a nightmare to sleep next to :# According to my boyfriend it's really improved as I've been losing weight!
  • AngeBee18
    AngeBee18 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    Not only would my feet and legs be able to handle my weight in heels, but I would actually like wearing them! They are so much more comfortable now that I am thinner. Granted they may not be the 6-inch heels that other women are wearing in the office, but you better believe I feel beyond sassy in these 2-inch heels!

OMG This! I used to have to wear hideous old lady flats or gym shoes all the time because of a combination of my weight and weird foot issues that require orthotics. Now I am rocking moderate heels at work most days - and I have multiple pairs! orthotics are just for running now. Lovin it :D

Yay!! I was the same! All of my flats had memory foam in them or within any decent amount of walking, I would be complaining of foot pain. I was definitely the girl wearing sneakers and dresses to the office. Not cute at all! I do still have insoles in my running sneakers, but better safe than sorry!

Yep, although the down side is I'm spending money on new clothes AND new shoes... Our poor house is never going to finish getting renovated at this rate!
  • AngeBee18
    Options
    refinley2 wrote: »
    RUNNING. When I run, I feel incredibly light, like my calves are coiled up springs. So much freedom

I know right. Running now makes me feel strong and light and free. Kind of nuts right? When I started it made me feel like a pregnant hippopotamus.
  • AngeBee18
    Options
    I've moved on from doing press-ups on my knees to being able to do them on my toes! I feel SO much stronger!

I managed 4 on my toes the other day before I had to drop to my knees for the rest of the set. I'll be celebrating when I can do a whole set that's for sure! But I started having to do them standing against a wall, so it's all good progress!
  • AngeBee18
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I'm still a long way from goal but I've lost 42kg (92lbs) so there is some improvement :) I still look at myself in the mirror though and shudder, thinking "Dammit you are still so fat"

On a positive side
    - My wife's arms can fit around me. Also the compliments I get from her. Makes me proud to be her husband.
    - Being able to dress better and being able to buy at "normal" shops. My wife used to buy my clothes because I hated clothes shopping. Now I quite like it.
    - Having the women at the office compliment me. Even the 20-somethings. Huge ego boost lol
    - Just generally being more comfortable with my surroundings and not having the have a degree in engineering to try and figure out how to walk to the loo in a full restaurant, even how to go to the loo in a restaurant. I no longer have a fear of small cubicles lol

Man that's a seriously impressive loss so far - awesome work :-) keep focusing on those positives and I'm sure you'll make your way to goal!
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep, although the down side is I'm spending money on new clothes AND new shoes... Our poor house is never going to finish getting renovated at this rate!

hahaha! Yes! Then you need the new necklaces and bags to go with the new clothes and shoes. We all deserve to look complete and utterly fabulous! The house can wait until maintenance ;)
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just hit 5weeks today, 17-odd pounds down. What I've noticed:

I no longer "leak", I don't even know what muscle is working out to make that happen!

I no longer have to adjust "the girls" throughout the day. They just stay put!

I'm living this thread! It's getting favorited!

My bra straps stay in place!

They're not constantly slipping off my shoulders. Not sure why, but I now have a nice curve in my shoulders since starting weight-lifting.

Also, I don't sometimes have the embararssing situation of my back bra clasp snapping open.

I don't know if this is the equivalent for a guy, but not that i have lost 125+ pound, I have problems keeping my suspends to stay in place over my shoulder. even with constant adjustments.
  • ww1981
    ww1981 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    These are awesome! Happy for all of you!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Today I had a not so great unexpected result.

I've always had an ample bosom, since HS/College. It's gotten more ample as the rest of me has, but it seems to be shrinking at less of a rate than the rest of my body as I lose!

In yoga, we have this lovely wall of mirrors that's been telling me the truth about my body. As time goes by, I've seen ample everything, a little less all over, big belly and butt to tuck in...blah, blah, blah. I'm not "close" to goal but today I felt that my bosom TOTALLY dominated that damn mirror. I couldn't believe how out of proportion I was and felt so embarrassed throughout practice. That's the first time I've ever felt that way. Even though I like that my body is shrinking, I don't like what mirror is showing.

On the other hand, weightlifting has me doing chair quite low and my leg muscles look killer.
  • AngeBee18
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

I've always had an ample bosom, since HS/College. It's gotten more ample as the rest of me has, but it seems to be shrinking at less of a rate than the rest of my body as I lose!

In yoga, we have this lovely wall of mirrors that's been telling me the truth about my body. As time goes by, I've seen ample everything, a little less all over, big belly and butt to tuck in...blah, blah, blah. I'm not "close" to goal but today I felt that my bosom TOTALLY dominated that damn mirror. I couldn't believe how out of proportion I was and felt so embarrassed throughout practice. That's the first time I've ever felt that way. Even though I like that my body is shrinking, I don't like what mirror is showing.

On the other hand, weightlifting has me doing chair quite low and my leg muscles look killer.

I'm sorry you felt that way today. It's kinda hard the way we lose weight sometimes, in that it never seems to budge from where we want it to the most (you hear me jiggly flab under my butt?!) I think we also hope that as we lose weight we'll get to what ever our "ideal body" is - but my experience is that we always find new things to dislike about ourselves, even as we lose weight.

You could try wearing a compression bra to keep the ladies in check during yoga if you don't already. Or wear patterned yoga pants to draw the eyes away from your chest? Or practice in a part of the room where you can't see the mirror? I'm sure I look ridiculous doing yoga, but without a mirror I can just imagine that I look like a ballet dancer...

But keep it up and don't be discouraged :-)
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    refinley2 wrote: »

I know right. Running now makes me feel strong and light and free. Kind of nuts right? When I started it made me feel like a pregnant hippopotamus.

Hahaha!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm having to buy CR2032 batteries on a semi-regular basis now - gotta keep that food scale running!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »

I'm sorry you felt that way today. It's kinda hard the way we lose weight sometimes, in that it never seems to budge from where we want it to the most (you hear me jiggly flab under my butt?!) I think we also hope that as we lose weight we'll get to what ever our "ideal body" is - but my experience is that we always find new things to dislike about ourselves, even as we lose weight.

You could try wearing a compression bra to keep the ladies in check during yoga if you don't already. Or wear patterned yoga pants to draw the eyes away from your chest? Or practice in a part of the room where you can't see the mirror? I'm sure I look ridiculous doing yoga, but without a mirror I can just imagine that I look like a ballet dancer...

But keep it up and don't be discouraged :-)

Thanks! :blush:

I tried to find a compression bra that fit, but I'm still in the range where I have to order one online. I hate to do that since I AM shrinking. I'm more averse to spending that kind of money than being embarrassed, I guess. I'll keep plugging away and periodically try the undergarments on in the stores, haha!

I do like to have the mirror to help with form, but I could have done without this OMG realization. I had a cruddy day all around, so my mood certainly contributed.
  • Sydmayn
    Sydmayn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 25lbs but in my short frame it's a big difference. The weirdest thing I've noticed was that my belly button is so much smaller. It seems like it's a given to have a smaller belly button with a smaller stomach but I still found it weird when I first noticed haha
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 65 pounds so far. (I am smaller than I was in 6th grade.) I was sitting in a meeting and noticed that I was crossing my legs. I have never been able to that before. I was happily surprised!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!