Great new video which shows REAL women training!

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    anadoesit wrote: »
    I only mentioned hating PE Class because JoR mentioned having a tough time in college.
    I go to the gym. I don't need a reason, invitation or excuse.

I give up.

You did try to compare wanting to exercise to wanting to get a PHD. That as Jo said is an awful comparison to use.

• granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    IT'S JUST A VIDEO, PEOPLE! JUST A ****ING VIDEO!

Good grief. What the hell is up with the circle jerk persecution of the OP here?

Agreed. Thanks for posting the video, OP.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

That is not even on the same level of comparison. I had a horrible experience in college- and i still chose to educate myself.

Going for a walk is not higher learning and requires no extra anything other than some clothes and some shoes.

Hell you can walk in place inside your own house- you don't even need to go outside.

The comparison is so beyond weak it isn't funny. The reality is people don't know- and chose not to do anything about it- and then wonder why they feel scared about it.

I thought it was a great comparison. It's about the fear of taking the firsts steps to better oneself. Some people ARE afraid to take those first steps to even walk in place in their own home. For some, going for a walk does require extra - extra inspiration, extra motivation, extra self-confidence. Walking into a gym for the first time CAN be scary if you are worried about what other people think.

I have read posts where people have said they have been made fun of while jogging around their neighborhood. Posts about other women making fun of a women for trying an exercise class at the gym. And one bad experience can derail people.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Great video/ad showing REAL women working out no matter what age, size, or color.
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No...I did not. Go back and read what I said.

You're asking me to aim high. Why just be sort of fit. I should only be motivated by Olympians and elite athletes. Mediocre or average is simply not good enough.

For some people, asking them to get that fit is like asking a HS drop out to get a PhD. That was the point I made.

I said several times, not everyone is on this board or in this world looking to be single digit body fat and very very fit. Some of us just want to be healthier than we are already and enjoy using our bodies and training. Just like everyone is not cut out to be an elite athlete or win a Cross Fit Championship, not everyone is cut out for academics.

We don't go around saying, "Yo, dumbass, just get up and start with reading a book at home. Then go to night classes. Then a community college. Then transfer to a university to get your BA. Then move on to a Masters and PhD."

So, when you say, why are ye women happy to just remain mediocre and jiggly, why not aim for the very top level you can reach, for some of us, we either can't, don't want to or it's not a priority.
  • anadoesit
    Options
    What I actually said was this:

I often wonder if I walked up to someone who maybe hadn't had a good experience in their academic life and had not really developed their intellectual capacities and I said. ..."Why are you not motivated when watching this video promoting getting a PhD in Atmospheric Physics? Just do it! You'll never get there if you don't start NOW. Start with night classes in basic maths and then work your way up! Are you lazy? "

Ya see, for some of us, some things are more challenging than for others. You're very fortunate that your body is amenable to exercise and you are strong and fit. Combination of your hard work, dedication and genes. I applaud you.

I wish I had that natural physical confidence. I don't and I never will but I still try my best.
    On the other hand, I'm extremely confident and relaxed in advanced education and academia. Nothing about it makes me anxious or uptight.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That is not even on the same level of comparison. I had a horrible experience in college- and i still chose to educate myself.

Going for a walk is not higher learning and requires no extra anything other than some clothes and some shoes.

Hell you can walk in place inside your own house- you don't even need to go outside.

The comparison is so beyond weak it isn't funny. The reality is people don't know- and chose not to do anything about it- and then wonder why they feel scared about it.

I thought it was a great comparison. It's about the fear of taking the firsts steps to better oneself. Some people ARE afraid to take those first steps to even walk in place in their own home. For some, going for a walk does require extra - extra inspiration, extra motivation, extra self-confidence. Walking into a gym for the first time CAN be scary if you are worried about what other people think.

I have read posts where people have said they have been made fun of while jogging around their neighborhood. Posts about other women making fun of a women for trying an exercise class at the gym. And one bad experience can derail people.

So my question is why does one bad experience make someone quit although?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This. Splitting hairs just to pick a fight. It's tiresome.

OP...just let it go. People are going to argue no matter what.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I liked the video. The song choice was great. And seeing all of those people exercise made me even more excited for yoga tonight.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Lack of self-worth. Lack of self-confience. Hating oneself. Usually it is not just one experience, but a series of experiences or percieved experiences that lead to someone quitting on themselves. Then that one bad experience pushes them over the edge. Some people don't have the drive or the self-confidence to move past that one bad experience.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Because people have feelings and can be fragile. Like it or not, it's the truth. There are a lot of people for whom working up the guts to go out and run around the neighborhood is a really big freaking deal. Getting up the gumption to do that, telling yourself to ignore the voice in your head saying "they'll make fun of you!", and then taking off running only to hear "hey fatty, get off the road!" is brutal. Whether that would discourage you or Jo or any other "encouraging people is dumb, they need to just do it" person does not matter because you are not the audience for this video. The audience is people who would react like that. Truly, people, not everything is about you. I'm not saying that you can't have an opinion but at least have open enough minds to consider that yours is not the One True Way to live every life.

• anadoesit
    Options

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/uk-has-lowest-drop-out-rate-in-europe/2012400.article

http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/child_obesity

UK has the lowest drop out rate (from Second Level Education) in Europe.
    Early bad experiences, poor confidence levels, history of failure, being embarrassed in front of classmates, belief that they just 'can't do it.'

UK also has a very high rate of obesity in children. Same reasons can be given:
    Early bad experiences, poor confidence levels, history of failure, being embarrassed in front of classmates, belief that they just 'can't do it.'
  • anadoesit
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, I run a voluntary organisation in my community for adults who have literacy challenges. They are JUST as terrified to sit in front of a teacher after years of failure and embarrassment at having limited literacy as some unfit people might be walking into a gym after being unfit (and/or obese) for years.

I love the strength of the human spirit that drives both types of people into the very place they feel most ill at ease; the gym for some and the classroom for others.

Now...I have to go and make some dinner. Coconut chicken, here I come!

http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/11-22/coconut-chicken/

A few people asked: here's the recipe. I make it in bulk, it's so messy (eggs, almond flour and coconut) I do it once a month and make about 2kg and it freezes really well! Great cold on salad, too.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Lack of self-worth. Lack of self-confience. Hating oneself. Usually it is not just one experience, but a series of experiences or percieved experiences that lead to someone quitting on themselves. Then that one bad experience pushes them over the edge. Some people don't have the drive or the self-confidence to move past that one bad experience.

So what if I told everyone that the gym can help with those qualities because I too have experiences with those bad traits.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

So what if I told everyone that the gym can help with those qualities because I too have experiences with those bad traits.

it takes people longer than others to see that its not so bad. you see posts all the time about people asking if they are too big to go to the gym, people embarrassed to go to the gym. So there is a concern for lots of people.

OP i saw that advert on telly the other day. i did wonder what it was about whilst watching.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Because people have feelings and can be fragile. Like it or not, it's the truth. There are a lot of people for whom working up the guts to go out and run around the neighborhood is a really big freaking deal. Getting up the gumption to do that, telling yourself to ignore the voice in your head saying "they'll make fun of you!", and then taking off running only to hear "hey fatty, get off the road!" is brutal. Whether that would discourage you or Jo or any other "encouraging people is dumb, they need to just do it" person does not matter because you are not the audience for this video. The audience is people who would react like that. Truly, people, not everything is about you. I'm not saying that you can't have an opinion but at least have open enough minds to consider that yours is not the One True Way to live every life.

I been there done that. I used to get made fun of in middle school for having boobs bigger than the majority of the girls at that time and probably still do. I will say that ever since I started lifting weights that the bullying stopped around 90%. Some people are very bold and just do care about others. Did that stop me from trying to the gym to better myself and improve myself even though yes I do care about what other think? The gym helps with that too. That is human nature that I am sure will never change.

• mskwatkins
    mskwatkins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this video. It makes me think of all the times I wear a baggy t-shirt over my sexy workout clothes because I'm not comfortable with the jiggle. I'm gonna go without it from now on! (well I'm gonn try to ;-)
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Some people really like to argue, eh? OP, thank you! I loved this video and it made me feel inspired as a REAL woman to want to exercise.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    OP please explain the use of the word "REAL" in your title.

I believe she means women who look like real people who sweat and have jiggly fat and whose makeup smears as opposed to perfect, flawless models.

This. Great ad showing 'real' life people exactly as they are without editing out the jiggly fat etc

I hate that expression "real" life people.

you know models are real life people to- just a lot tinier- and probably more food issues. LOL

But even models will have jiggle fat, yet it's edited out. So it's really the computer modifications that she could be commenting on, which in fact is not therefore depicting a real person.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I been there done that. I used to get made fun of in middle school for having boobs bigger than the majority of the girls at that time and probably still do. I will say that ever since I started lifting weights that the bullying stopped around 90%. Some people are very bold and just do care about others. Did that stop me from trying to the gym to better myself and improve myself even though yes I do care about what other think? The gym helps with that too. That is human nature that I am sure will never change.

Well see, I think that it is awesome that you kept at it. But surely you can see how not everybody does that without a bit of outside encouragement, right? I mean, you just (upthread a couple of posts) said that you could tell people that you've had trouble with self-confidence, etc. Doing that is a form of encouragement as much as is showing non-exercisers a video of people who look similar to them but are exercising. That's the point of this video--to show people that there are plenty of people like them who get active. It's about taking that first step, which might seem like a baby step to many people, but seems like a giant leap to many others.