Great new video which shows REAL women training!

Options
123457»

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Now I want to get sweaty. UGH!!! Can't wait for the 5 o'clock.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

You can't wait. I am about to restart my 5/3/1 program.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    anadoesit wrote: »

That is not even on the same level of comparison. I had a horrible experience in college- and i still chose to educate myself.

Going for a walk is not higher learning and requires no extra anything other than some clothes and some shoes.

Hell you can walk in place inside your own house- you don't even need to go outside.

The comparison is so beyond weak it isn't funny. The reality is people don't know- and chose not to do anything about it- and then wonder why they feel scared about it.

I thought it was a great comparison. It's about the fear of taking the firsts steps to better oneself. Some people ARE afraid to take those first steps to even walk in place in their own home. For some, going for a walk does require extra - extra inspiration, extra motivation, extra self-confidence. Walking into a gym for the first time CAN be scary if you are worried about what other people think.

I have read posts where people have said they have been made fun of while jogging around their neighborhood. Posts about other women making fun of a women for trying an exercise class at the gym. And one bad experience can derail people.

So my question is why does one bad experience make someone quit although?

Because people have feelings and can be fragile. Like it or not, it's the truth. There are a lot of people for whom working up the guts to go out and run around the neighborhood is a really big freaking deal. Getting up the gumption to do that, telling yourself to ignore the voice in your head saying "they'll make fun of you!", and then taking off running only to hear "hey fatty, get off the road!" is brutal. Whether that would discourage you or Jo or any other "encouraging people is dumb, they need to just do it" person does not matter because you are not the audience for this video. The audience is people who would react like that. Truly, people, not everything is about you. I'm not saying that you can't have an opinion but at least have open enough minds to consider that yours is not the One True Way to live every life.

I been there done that. I used to get made fun of in middle school for having boobs bigger than the majority of the girls at that time and probably still do. I will say that ever since I started lifting weights that the bullying stopped around 90%. Some people are very bold and just do care about others. Did that stop me from trying to the gym to better myself and improve myself even though yes I do care about what other think? The gym helps with that too. That is human nature that I am sure will never change.

Well see, I think that it is awesome that you kept at it. But surely you can see how not everybody does that without a bit of outside encouragement, right? I mean, you just (upthread a couple of posts) said that you could tell people that you've had trouble with self-confidence, etc. Doing that is a form of encouragement as much as is showing non-exercisers a video of people who look similar to them but are exercising. That's the point of this video--to show people that there are plenty of people like them who get active. It's about taking that first step, which might seem like a baby step to many people, but seems like a giant leap to many others.

Yes exercise has help my mental state. I honestly do not know how high I would be in weight and other issues without it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

What's a 5/3/1 program?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    No...I did not. Go back and read what I said.

You're asking me to aim high. Why just be sort of fit. I should only be motivated by Olympians and elite athletes. Mediocre or average is simply not good enough.

For some people, asking them to get that fit is like asking a HS drop out to get a PhD.
    That was the point I made.

I said several times, not everyone is on this board or in this world looking to be single digit body fat and very very fit. Some of us just want to be healthier than we are already and enjoy using our bodies and training. Just like everyone is not cut out to be an elite athlete or win a Cross Fit Championship, not everyone is cut out for academics.

We don't go around saying, "Yo, dumbass, just get up and start with reading a book at home. Then go to night classes. Then a community college. Then transfer to a university to get your BA. Then move on to a Masters and PhD."

So, when you say, why are ye women happy to just remain mediocre and jiggly, why not aim for the very top level you can reach, for some of us, we either can't, don't want to or it's not a priority.

I'm not arguing for one side or the other. But in the bit I bolded you're making a leap that was not in the earlier posts.

Saying that someone finds only elite athletic accomplishments inspiring is not the same as saying that person aspires to reach the level of an elite athlete.

I find the Olympics inspiring. I'm not now, nor will I ever train to become an Olympic athlete. I will use the Olympics as inspiration to strive to improve, athletically.
  • yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options

What's a 5/3/1 program?

Apparently (other MFP words) it is a intermediate to advance weight lifting program. It has the three big lifts on different days with overhead press on a different days. It has accessory (isolation muscle group) exercises. It is a four day program but since I love my weight I will still be lifting 5 days a week.
    I use the plan off this site . http://www.strstd.com/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Well good for you. Have you ever looked around and realized that not everybody is JoRocka? I mean, sheesh, have a little compassion. Not everybody thinks/feels/acts the same way and no matter how much you agree or disagree with it, it's going to be a fact of life.
    True, not everyone is logical, reasonable, consistent, nuanced, or motivated to better themselves.

To those people I say, my condolences.
  • dbmata
    Options

That is not even on the same level of comparison. I had a horrible experience in college- and i still chose to educate myself.

Going for a walk is not higher learning and requires no extra anything other than some clothes and some shoes.

Hell you can walk in place inside your own house- you don't even need to go outside.

The comparison is so beyond weak it isn't funny. The reality is people don't know- and chose not to do anything about it- and then wonder why they feel scared about it.

I thought it was a great comparison. It's about the fear of taking the firsts steps to better oneself. Some people ARE afraid to take those first steps to even walk in place in their own home. For some, going for a walk does require extra - extra inspiration, extra motivation, extra self-confidence. Walking into a gym for the first time CAN be scary if you are worried about what other people think.

I have read posts where people have said they have been made fun of while jogging around their neighborhood. Posts about other women making fun of a women for trying an exercise class at the gym. And one bad experience can derail people.

Weakness. Weakness everywhere.

g1336547430342431815.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    OP please explain the use of the word "REAL" in your title.
    ^

Read the thread. It's already been discussed and explained.

No, unfortunately, people have ignored my very real and important question regarding exclusiveness and inclusiveness.

I fear it didn't fit the narrative and was therefore ignored.
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    No...I did not. Go back and read what I said.

You're asking me to aim high. Why just be sort of fit. I should only be motivated by Olympians and elite athletes. Mediocre or average is simply not good enough.

For some people, asking them to get that fit is like asking a HS drop out to get a PhD.
    That was the point I made.

I said several times, not everyone is on this board or in this world looking to be single digit body fat and very very fit. Some of us just want to be healthier than we are already and enjoy using our bodies and training. Just like everyone is not cut out to be an elite athlete or win a Cross Fit Championship, not everyone is cut out for academics.

We don't go around saying, "Yo, dumbass, just get up and start with reading a book at home. Then go to night classes. Then a community college. Then transfer to a university to get your BA. Then move on to a Masters and PhD."

So, when you say, why are ye women happy to just remain mediocre and jiggly, why not aim for the very top level you can reach, for some of us, we either can't, don't want to or it's not a priority.

I'm not arguing for one side or the other. But in the bit I bolded you're making a leap that was not in the earlier posts.

Saying that someone finds only elite athletic accomplishments inspiring is not the same as saying that person aspires to reach the level of an elite athlete.

I find the Olympics inspiring. I'm not now, nor will I ever train to become an Olympic athlete. I will use the Olympics as inspiration to strive to improve, athletically.

You're actually right in your second paragraph. It was a logical leap I made in my head but not on paper (i.e. keyboard). I was referring to being told that trying at all was mediocre and that if I didn't aim VERY HIGH (i.e. Phd/Olympics) that it was silly and waste of time. I apologise for that error of logic. You're correct.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    There's one major issue with the "real" women bs.

It is not inclusive at all. It rejects people who have differing bodies from the median, and it directly excludes people who are in the process or have transitioned to being female.

It also excludes people who identify as female in their day to day lives, even if not anatomically so.

We should really focus on being inclusive.

Lest it be ignored, this is an extremely important discussion point.
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

It is not inclusive at all. It rejects people who have differing bodies from the median, and it directly excludes people who are in the process or have transitioned to being female.

It also excludes people who identify as female in their day to day lives, even if not anatomically so.

How do you know there weren't any trans people or LGBT people in that video? There was a person with Down's Syndrome. That's differing bodies from the norm. You can't tell if someone is gay/straight either from a video like that. I felt they did a better job than most mainstream media in portraying difference. At least in the UK context. In fact, my one question was where are the south Asians? (India/Pakistan/Bangladesh) but then, I realised, it's a freakin' video! :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^

Read the thread. It's already been discussed and explained.

No, unfortunately, people have ignored my very real and important question regarding exclusiveness and inclusiveness.

I fear it didn't fit the narrative and was therefore ignored.

3.The use of the word real ....I meant what the I said above, no models or professional sports people or athletes. If I had it to do again, I'd leave out the real.

The issue of what the OP meant by real was addressed on the second page. I've quoted it for your convenience. While I think that your discussion point is important, I don't think it applies to this video seeing that the OP clarified what she meant and it ended up being "no models or professional sports people or athletes."

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

We *should* focus on being inclusive! But this video was geared towards a particular audience. It's basically a commercial for exercising. Commercials tend to focus on a target audience. I think a lot of the "real" women arguement, in general, is backlash for being told we all need to be skinny to be "attractive" and "healthy". Lots of women are saying - "No! We do not need to be skinny to be awesome!" But then it is done in a way that body shames the "skinny" girls.

Quite frankly... I think the issue is that people are too focused on what everyone else looks like (not in this thread - just in general). My friend will say to me: "Look at her! I wish I had her legs. ~sigh~" And all I can think is - "NO!! I do not want her legs!! I want MY legs!" I want to work towards getting the best version of MY legs that I can.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

We *should* focus on being inclusive! But this video was geared towards a particular audience. It's basically a commercial for exercising. Commercials tend to focus on a target audience. I think a lot of the "real" women arguement, in general, is backlash for being told we all need to be skinny to be "attractive" and "healthy". Lots of women are saying - "No! We do not need to be skinny to be awesome!" But then it is done in a way that body shames the "skinny" girls.

Quite frankly... I think the issue is that people are too focused on what everyone else looks like (not in this thread - just in general). My friend will say to me: "Look at her! I wish I had her legs. ~sigh~" And all I can think is - "NO!! I do not want her legs!! I want MY legs!" I want to work towards getting the best version of MY legs that I can.

Hand her a chain saw and tell her that if she wants them, to go get them. OR inform her about the awesomeness that is weight squats.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think by "real" she meant the every day women. It's not of athletes, trainers, fitness models and what have you, who are working out but still manage to have perfect hair and makeup or look "sexy". Bad choice of words but still an awesome video with a great message.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think by "real" she meant the every day women. It's not of athletes, trainers, fitness models and what have you, who are working out but still manage to have perfect hair and makeup or look "sexy". Bad choice of words but still an awesome video with a great message.

Transitioning people aren't every day women?

Athletes aren't women every day?
    Trainers and fitness professionals aren't real?

This is interesting. I'd love to see how this conversation direction panned out on Jezebel.

The desire for exclusiveness in terminology is QUITE interesting. Rather interesting case of gender and body shaming.
  • yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options

Weakness. Weakness everywhere.

g1336547430342431815.jpg

This question has to do with everything in life.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Different people respond to different incentives to try something new. If this encourages one person to go to a spinning class, or go swimming, or for a walk in the park with a friend, then that's great. It may look ridiculous to one individual, and inspiring to another. It's just nice to see exercise and fitness presented in an accessible, light hearted, body positive way.
    I consider myself fairly fit, and it still made me want to get off my backside and go for a run.