1 gram of protein per lbs myth

I hope this article helps. it's been up for a while but is very useful for people with less dietary knowledge and the average lifter http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    It's 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think there's a huge difference between what's minimally needed and what may needed to produce the best results.
  • zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Not everyone follows that rule...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

This...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    zab12101 wrote: »
    Not everyone follows that rule...

I never said they did. Just like not every follows 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. In fact, I don't know anyone who does this.

Btw, I'm not quite sure why my post is flagged as abusive. It's not abusive at all. And by flagging posts that don't go against MFP rules, you are actually abusing the flagging system.

You should read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    This "rule" is (if I'm scanning the article correctly--ain't got no time today) based solely on maximizing LBM retention/increases.

What if someone actually *likes* protein foods--I sure do! I also like the increased iron intake from eating more meat (don't need my iron pill now) and satiety that protein gives me. Shrug--I'm no "elite" fitness person, but I find my macro breakdown sufficient, sustainable, and tasty.

It's not always just about dem gainz.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I only scanned the article, but it seems like it supports what the rule is supposed to be.

He says .75g per lb BW, which is pretty close to 1g per lb of LBM. Obviously your weight/BF% will play a role in this, but the generalization the article makes lines up well with the generalization MFP typically makes.
  • zab12101
    If a certain food group keeps you more satiated than another than that is okay. just the fact is you don't need to force yourself to eat 1 gram to keep your lean gains just at least .75 per lb
    This "rule" is (if I'm scanning the article correctly--ain't got no time today) based solely on maximizing LBM retention/increases.

What if someone actually *likes* protein foods--I sure do! I also like the increased iron intake from eating more meat (don't need my iron pill now) and satiety that protein gives me. Shrug--I'm no "elite" fitness person, but I find my macro breakdown sufficient, sustainable, and tasty.

• williams969
    If a certain food group keeps you more satiated than another than that is okay. just the fact is you don't need to force yourself to eat 1 gram to keep your lean gains just at least .75 per lb

Nope, I've never felt compelled or coerced to eat an arbitrarily high protein number. Heck, even MFP's "standard" suggestion for me (per the food diary) comes out to a mere 0.42g per total weight. So I guess I don't know who this magical crowd of peeps are. It surely isn't the majority here, nor is it MFP's standard algorithm.
  • zab12101

Nope, I've never felt compelled or coerced to eat an arbitrarily high protein number. Heck, even MFP's "standard" suggestion for me (per the food diary) comes out to a mere 0.42g per total weight. So I guess I don't know who this magical crowd of peeps are. It surely isn't the majority here, nor is it MFP's standard algorithm.
    If your diet hits your goal and you feel comfortable then keep on keeping on
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

Do you eat 1g/lb. daily through meat out of preference? I'd have to eat 2/3 of my diet (more in deficit mode) in meat. You must really like it. Though I guess plant proteins would lower that some.
  • williams969
    edited January 2015

Do you eat 1g/lb. daily through meat out of preference? I'd have to eat 2/3 of my diet (more in deficit mode) in meat. You must really like it. Though I guess plant proteins would lower that some.

I don't always eat 138g protein (that's what's prelogged for today, and I weigh ~137 lbs). Usually it's 100+g, though. It's not always meat--I love eggs, lots of beans, Greek yogurt and dairy (it's the main ingredient in my "Protein Shake" recipe), etc.

And it's not mostly meat usually--today is <50g (and less than 300 calories, 15% of my total day) from meat. Everything else just adds up in bits and spurts.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

and you got flagged for that...

It must be a "totes accurate" flag. Or just a flag troll.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I only scanned the article, but it seems like it supports what the rule is supposed to be.

He says .75g per lb BW, which is pretty close to 1g per lb of LBM. Obviously your weight/BF% will play a role in this, but the generalization the article makes lines up well with the generalization MFP typically makes.

This.

It's only a difference of 6 grams of protein for me, which is hardly worth worrying about.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    dbmata wrote: »

Maybe some people think flagging a post is the same as "liking" a post? Or perhaps they think flagging it is like marking it to find again later?

Never mind... I just started the flag process to see what happens. It is quite clear that flagging is to be used for improper posts.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    lemon629 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Maybe some people think flagging a post is the same as "liking" a post? Or perhaps they think flagging it is like marking it to find again later?

Never mind... I just started the flag process to see what happens. It is quite clear that flagging is to be used for improper posts.

yup. She didn't warrant a flag for that. It's dumb.
  • WalkingAlong
    Maybe someone flagged it because the article is addressing the common "1 gram per pound" idea, not the also common "per pound of LBM" idea.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Do you even math? Are you claiming that your maintenance is only 6cal/lb?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    1 gram per Lb of body weight would be excessive and doesn't even make sense...if you're 250 Lbs you're really going to or need to eat 250 grams of protein...that doesn't even makes sense.

1 gram per Lb of LBM makes sense...and the .75 grams per Lb of bodyweight as this suggest is going to be pretty close to 1 gram per Lb of LBM for most people...so not really sure what myth is being debunked here. I've never heard anyone knowledgeable recommend 1 gram per Lb of bodyweight.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    I wouldn't get too hung up on whether it is a myth or not -- the specific circumstances will dictate what an appropriate protein target would be for any given individual. For example, protein intake is more important to preserve lean mass when losing weight than it is when attempting to add mass. Especially when cutting, leanness of the individual, training experience, and severity of deficit all play a role in determining what might be an optimal protein target. See Helms' research detailed in the thread below -- finds that 1.1g - 1.4g per pound of lean body mass is appropriate for resistance-trained, adult individuals maintaining a calorie deficit and desiring to minimize loss of lean mass.

Thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167386/review-of-dietary-protein-during-caloric-restriction/p1

Conclusion from the research abstract: "Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness."

Sara devoted her 10,000th post or something along those lines to a detailed discussion of the same research (but I don't have the link handy). EDIT TO ADD: The Sara thread is actually linked in the first page of the thread I posted above. END EDIT

I think it's fine to recommend 1g per pound of body weight, especially for someone trying to lose fat and preserve lean mass.
  • WalkingAlong

Do you even math? Are you claiming that your maintenance is only 6cal/lb?
    Is math a verb now? I just did a quick look at how much protein in beef per pound (around 110), which means I'd need to eat about a pound and a half (154lbs.), which is around 1100 calories. I only burn around 1700 most days.

Oh, did you think I was referring to PROTEIN being 2/3 of my calories? No, I said meat, if I used at as a sole protein source and aimed for 150g/day.

• jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Maybe someone flagged it because the article is addressing the common "1 gram per pound" idea, not the also common "per pound of LBM" idea.

Is that common? Legit question, no snark. And if so, common on MFP, or in the rest of the health/fitness industry? Or both?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    A recent study I've read had protein requirement to repair trauma (major invasive surgery, multiple bone breaks, etc.) the uptake the body's looking for can exceed 4g/kg body weight.

Normal everyday use? 0.64g to 0.80g/lb body weight is about all that can be used until you get into the realms of performance enhancing drugs.
  • WalkingAlong
    edited January 2015
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Is that common? Legit question, no snark. And if so, common on MFP, or in the rest of the health/fitness industry? Or both?
    I don't know, I've heard both. Apparently the author thought it was common enough to write an article about. Though it does seem odd he didn't address the other common rec, and how his .72g (or whatever) probably comes about the same as it. Which you mentioned above. :)

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Cortelli wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too hung up on whether it is a myth or not -- the specific circumstances will dictate what an appropriate protein target would be for any given individual. For example, protein intake is more important to preserve lean mass when losing weight than it is when attempting to add mass. Especially when cutting, leanness of the individual, training experience, and severity of deficit all play a role in determining what might be an optimal protein target. See Helms' research detailed in the thread below -- finds that 1.1g - 1.4g per pound of lean body mass is appropriate for resistance-trained, adult individuals maintaining a calorie deficit and desiring to minimize loss of lean mass.

Thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167386/review-of-dietary-protein-during-caloric-restriction/p1

Conclusion from the research abstract: "Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness."

Sara devoted her 10,000th post or something along those lines to a detailed discussion of the same research (but I don't have the link handy). EDIT TO ADD: The Sara thread is actually linked in the first page of the thread I posted above. END EDIT

I think it's fine to recommend 1g per pound of body weight, especially for someone trying to lose fat and preserve lean mass.
    I'm curious what would be recommended for adults who are in their 40s and beyond who are just trying to maintain muscle without necessarily training.

• WalkingAlong
    This is unpopular here but the mainstream medical community recommends around 50g a day for most adults.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
  • jacksonpt
    This is unpopular here but the mainstream medical community recommends around 50g a day for most adults.

that's as a minimum.
  • WalkingAlong
    Well, yes. But they recommend that as a minimum because they see no need for much more. The end of that article puts it like this: "There’s no need to go overboard on protein. Though some studies show benefits of high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets in the short term, avoiding fruits and whole grains means missing out on healthful fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other phytonutrients."

I'm not arguing against anyone's chosen level. I think there are all kinds of goals and schools of thought.
  • jacksonpt
    Well, yes. But they recommend that as a minimum because they see no need for much more. The end of that article puts it like this: "There’s no need to go overboard on protein. Though some studies show benefits of high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets in the short term, avoiding fruits and whole grains means missing out on healthful fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other phytonutrients."

I'm not arguing against anyone's chosen level. I think there are all kinds of goals and schools of thought.

I'm with ya. MFP in general has a tendency to be too black and white, IMO... you're either doing it this way and you're right, or your not and your wrong. Very little context, very little consideration of individual goals/preferences/etc, just a lot of regurgitation.

But just for clarity... a high protein diet doesn't necessarily exclude fiber, vitamins, minerals, fruits, veggies, etc. A low carb one certainly could. I get the sense you know this, so this is really more for the benefit of other readers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

And not for people losing weight either.