1 gram of protein per lbs myth

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This is unpopular here but the mainstream medical community recommends around 50g a day for most adults.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

And not for people losing weight either.

Or building an idol courtesy of the lords of iron.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    lemon629 wrote: »
    It's 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

and you got flagged for that...

It must be a "totes accurate" flag. Or just a flag troll.

Maybe some people think flagging a post is the same as "liking" a post? Or perhaps they think flagging it is like marking it to find again later?

Never mind... I just started the flag process to see what happens. It is quite clear that flagging is to be used for improper posts.

yup. She didn't warrant a flag for that. It's dumb.

The flag is gone. Poof. Disappeared. It's magic ;)
  • dbmata
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Maybe someone flagged it because the article is addressing the common "1 gram per pound" idea, not the also common "per pound of LBM" idea.

Is that common? Legit question, no snark. And if so, common on MFP, or in the rest of the health/fitness industry? Or both?

1 gram per pound is common, but usually stated correctly as 1 gram per pound of lbm. Only time I see it as the first without the second half is from pople selling meleluca stuff, and on this forum.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    zab12101 wrote: »
    Not everyone follows that rule...

3dwin2a4gqo3.jpg

• dbmata

Maybe some people think flagging a post is the same as "liking" a post? Or perhaps they think flagging it is like marking it to find again later?

Never mind... I just started the flag process to see what happens. It is quite clear that flagging is to be used for improper posts.

I should flag it for the lulz.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    nm
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    This is unpopular here but the mainstream medical community recommends around 50g a day for most adults.

Maybe I missed it but where exactly was the section that talks about individuals that practice resistance training and their recommended protein minimums?
    I don't think you missed any special group for people who lift or for dieters. They don't break that out as a group needing special consideration so I imagine they assume we all follow the rec to include resistance training and/or it's not a special need.

Here's the groups you often see broken out as having special needs. Sometimes you also see a different rec for nursing mothers. But mostly it's by age and gender.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I should point out that most of the people on MFP who recommend absurdly high protein intake numbers are following bro-science or other non-science.

Just eat a reasonable amount of protein above the minimum. The body needs fat and carbs, too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    A gram per lb of body weight isn't common. I've never even heard it.
  • zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    actually it is with newbies. usually when they are pretty light weight, say a 120 pound skinny dude looks on bodybuilding.com or some magazine they would say at least 1gram per pound and they would follow that rule...the case for a 300 pound dude might be different
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    I should point out that most of the people on MFP who recommend absurdly high protein intake numbers are following bro-science or other non-science.

Just eat a reasonable amount of protein above the minimum. The body needs fat and carbs, too.

dynamite-fuse-burning.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

IIFYM.com spits out 1 gram/ pound of body weight for a lot of people, but I've always seen it shot down when people bring that number to the boards here and ask how to hit it.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

IIFYM.com spits out 1 gram/ pound of body weight for a lot of people, but I've always seen it shot down when people bring that number to the boards here and ask how to hit it.

Same.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2015
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It depends on what your goals are. People maintaining weight need less protein, people bulking or looking to preserve lean mass when cutting need more.

About 0.5g/kg lbm (dat metric consistency) is adequate for the latter two, considerably less for the former.

So, according to your recommendation (50kg of LBM for me), I should consume 25g of protein daily for a cut or bulk, and LESS for maintenance? Now that's absurdly, arbitrarily low. Unless I mathed wrong into your formula.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    It depends on what your goals are. People maintaining weight need less protein, people bulking or looking to preserve lean mass when cutting need more.

About 0.5g/kg lbm (dat metric consistency) is adequate for the latter two, considerably less for the former.

So, according to your recommendation (50kg of LBM for me), I should consume 25g of protein daily for a cut or bulk, and LESS for maintenance? Now that's absurdly, arbitrarily low. Unless I mathed wrong into your formula.
    Yeah. I'm thinking he meant per pound.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member

Oops! Brain fart - divided instead of multiplying. Should be 2g/kg.
    Ok, makes sense.

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    I think many are still ignoring the vital importance of context.

A minimum target of 1 gram per pound of body weight (or lbm if you like) may be absurdly high for an obese, non-trained, older female who, while not necessarily *encouraging* fat free mass losses, is nonetheless more concerned with simply losing weight, or lifestyle or diet choices etc. (i.e., where preservation of FFM is not a top priority).

A minimum target of 1 gram per pound of body weight (or lbm if you like) may actually be lower than optimal for a young, quite lean, resistance-trained athlete, especially where that athlete is making an aggressive cut to make weight or something.

Context people!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    A lot of truth to the article although there are most definitely studies out there that have researched and shown benefit for protein intakes at 2gm's per kg of body-weight which is greater than the 1.8gm's / kg stated. A lot of it is within the context of the group being studied. For instance, you wouldn't take a study that show pre-contest body-builders using 3gms / kg and apply it to a desk-jockey that just picked up a copy of Starting Strength and touched a barbell for the first time in their life. I think saying 1gram / lb is a "myth" is a bit misleading, there are many ways to accomplish a goal. Not to mention, as much as I like research myself, research can't control for everything and one has to be cognizant of both the research and real-world results and results are the only thing that really matter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Cortelli wrote: »

A minimum target of 1 gram per pound of body weight (or lbm if you like) may be absurdly high for an obese, non-trained, older female who, while not necessarily *encouraging* fat free mass losses, is nonetheless more concerned with simply losing weight, or lifestyle or diet choices etc. (i.e., where preservation of FFM is not a top priority).

A minimum target of 1 gram per pound of body weight (or lbm if you like) may actually be lower than optimal for a young, quite lean, resistance-trained athlete, especially where that athlete is making an aggressive cut to make weight or something.

Context people!

This is MFP; we don't believe in context here. ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Against my better judgment....

In.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

Maybe I missed it but where exactly was the section that talks about individuals that practice resistance training and their recommended protein minimums?
    I don't think you missed any special group for people who lift or for dieters. They don't break that out as a group needing special consideration so I imagine they assume we all follow the rec to include resistance training and/or it's not a special need.

Here's the groups you often see broken out as having special needs. Sometimes you also see a different rec for nursing mothers. But mostly it's by age and gender.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

I'm not going to just accept a link and say "Well I assume they mean we don't need any thing different". The OP's link is much better and is actually widely accepted, not the 1g per lb of bodyweight which is just bro science tossed around in the gym or those that don't know better. I've heard it plenty of times.
    If you feel you're part of a special population with unique dietary needs that the US RDA and mainstream medicine ignores, by all means, use the information sources you choose. All I've done is mention that other recs exist.
  • SideSteel
    Just for what it's worth as I'm sharing this more for amusement: Since I'm of the belief that the RDA is just pathetic in it's recommendations for protein, I decided to ask Eric Helms. The way I phrased the question specifically was:

"Can you tell me a context or circumstance or population under which the RDA of protein is actually sufficient and appropriate"

I phrased it this way because for the life of me I couldn't come up with much in terms of a legitimate answer.

Erics reply:

"People with only 1 kidney"
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    If you're concerned about your protein go to PubMed or some other site that publishes primary or secondary peer-reviewed sources (the OP's link is neither of those two), and do a search for what your exercise and nutrition goals are see what you find.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Cortelli wrote: »

Context people!

This is MFP; we don't believe in context here. ;)

Dear God, Acrylics, you're correct and I forgot. I don't know what came over me.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

You wouldn't dare :o
  • SideSteel
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    If you're concerned about your protein go to PubMed or some other site that publishes primary or secondary peer-reviewed sources (the OP's link is neither of those two), and do a search for what your exercise and nutrition goals are see what you find.

But the site that the OP listed is referenced. Do you take issue with the references that Menno uses on his site?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Just for what it's worth as I'm sharing this more for amusement: Since I'm of the belief that the RDA is just pathetic in it's recommendations for protein, I decided to ask Eric Helms. The way I phrased the question specifically was:

"Can you tell me a context or circumstance or population under which the RDA of protein is actually sufficient and appropriate"

I phrased it this way because for the life of me I couldn't come up with much in terms of a legitimate answer.

Erics reply:

Interesting. That would imply a recommendation of 2x the RDA for those who are intact.
  • SideSteel
    edited January 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Erics reply:

Interesting. That would imply a recommendation of 2x the RDA for those who are intact.

Taken literally it would, but he was using it as an example of how bad the RDA is.

On that note, double the RDA happens to be pretty damn close to a figure that would be reasonable for a fairly large group of people IMO, and I'm pretty sure Donald Layman (spelling?) has a few papers comparing double and triple the RDA to the RDA across a variety of measures and as you could guess the higher protein intake shines.
  • dbmata

Erics reply:

HAH! That's awesome.
  • dbmata

You wouldn't dare :o
    srs?
    You know my style better than that... lol.