1 gram of protein per lbs myth

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    This is from dietitian.com:

"The RDA for protein for adult males is 63 grams per day. Athletes can maintain protein equilibrium (muscle building equals muscle breakdown) on 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. So take your weight, divide by 2.2 then multiply by 1. In fact most persons can achieve protein equilibrium (positive nitrogen balance) at 0.6 to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram per day.

According to Dr. Carol Meredith at the University of California at Davis, muscle protein synthesis decreases during exercise and nearly doubles during recovery. Research she has shows that additional protein (studies of 1.35 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day) does not increase muscle mass or strength. In addition resistance exercise like weight lifting is a powerful anabolic (building) process that improves protein synthesis (increased muscle mass).

In fact what athletes need is increased caloric intake (60 calories per kilogram of body weight per day) which may contain protein food sources as well. One inherent problem with increasing protein from food sources, is you are probably also increasing fat content."

I have read other research which shows that Lucine oxidation starts in strength athletes at around the .8g/lb of body weight range so at the most you need would be that. 1g/lb of body weight is just easy to figure out and not harmful to healthy people. Sure I know that much of that is going to be converted to glucose but I like high protein foods so I'll often get above the 1g/lb range.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Now, many of the newer studies include some 'better' data, due to the passage of time and therefore technology. For example, better BF% assessments - it does not negate the older ones, but mitigates limitations.

It really depends. Newer could negate the older ones due to new information, better understanding of the topic. It could expand upon older research and provide new insight. Or it can provide something completely different that warrants further research. Think about stuff like DOM's. At one time the data said it was lactic acid build-up, now the data says it's micro-damage to the muscle tissue. There's probably little reason to look at the old data on that subject at this point. It really depends on what's being reviewed. I was surprised that such old information was used on the subject of protein when protein has been researched at nauseum over the last 10 years, there is so much current info out there.

Did not say that they could not.

Also, it may be been studied ad nauseum, but you need to ring fence to try to be applicable to the population you are looking at addressing. Can you point out studies that you think should have been included that were not?

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago. That's why I agree with some of what he's said. My point contention was simply that his sources and interpretation is not absolute and I think some of the sources are too old. I know what the expectations of the professors in my school are and these are individuals that are not only teachers but also researchers and professionals in the fitness industry. Being that they are professionals I do think there is much merit to what they expect that's all.

Why are we arguing about something stupid again?

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Now, many of the newer studies include some 'better' data, due to the passage of time and therefore technology. For example, better BF% assessments - it does not negate the older ones, but mitigates limitations.

It really depends. Newer could negate the older ones due to new information, better understanding of the topic. It could expand upon older research and provide new insight. Or it can provide something completely different that warrants further research. Think about stuff like DOM's. At one time the data said it was lactic acid build-up, now the data says it's micro-damage to the muscle tissue. There's probably little reason to look at the old data on that subject at this point. It really depends on what's being reviewed. I was surprised that such old information was used on the subject of protein when protein has been researched at nauseum over the last 10 years, there is so much current info out there.

Also, it may be been studied ad nauseum, but you need to ring fence to try to be applicable to the population you are looking at addressing. Can you point out studies that you think should have been included that were not?

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago.

Did not realize we were arguing and thought it was a discussion *shrug*. To me, you seemed to have an objection to newer studies not being included (or older studies being included). I was wondering what ones you thought were missing, or which older ones may have newer ones calling them into question, as if you knew of any, I would like to look at them to the 'mix' of relevant studies.
  • Wheelhouse15

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago. That's why I agree with some of what he's said. My point contention was simply that his sources and interpretation is not absolute and I think some of the sources are too old. I know what the expectations of the professors in my school are and these are individuals that are not only teachers but also researchers and professionals in the fitness industry. Being that they are professionals I do think there is much merit to what they expect that's all.

Because MFP! ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015

You edited after I responded.

I do not think anyone is saying that his sources and interpretations are absolute. However, other studies/reviews I have seen, including the ones by Helms (who is a researcher in the fitness industry), are not contradictory from what I see when looked at, at a high level.

ETA: to clarify, by at a high level, I mean the general conclusion as it it does not go into the ranges/discussions that say Helms does.
  • Sam_I_Am77

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago.

Did not realize we were arguing. To me, you seemed to have an objection to newer studies not being included (or older studies being included). I was wondering what ones you thought were missing, or which older ones may have newer ones calling them into question, as if you knew of any, I would like to look at them to the 'mix' of relevant studies.

Like I said above, my objection to the older research is related to the standards I'm held to in my MS program, that's all. After a year of them being pounded into us with wonderful deductions to grades because of poor research choices I tend to follow them pretty strictly, perhaps a little looser outside of the confines of class but still pretty closely.

I don't have time to really research the topic directly but here are some resources I had saved from previous classes. A couple of these might be applicable to this thread, but probably not too much. I don't recall exactly why I saved these, I think we were looking at Vegan athletes at the time. This isn't APA format, but who's grading? LOL

Secondary Source Examples:

MARK A. TARNOPOLSKY. Building muscle: nutrition to maximize bulk and strength adaptations to resistance exercise training. European Journal of Sport Science, March 2008; 8(2): 6776

Joel Fuhrman and Deana M. Ferreri. Fueling the Vegetarian (Vegan) Athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports

John D Bosse1,2* and Brian M Dixon1. (2010). Dietary protein to maximize resistance training: a review and examination of protein spread and change theories. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:42

Matthew Stark1, Judith Lukaszuk1*, Aimee Prawitz1 and Amanda Salacinski2. (2012) Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:54

Eric R. Helms, Caryn Zinn, David S. Rowlands, and Scott R. Brown. (2014). A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes. Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 127 -138

ELIZABETH CHERRY. (2006). Veganism as a Cultural Movement:A Relational Approach. Social Movement Studies. Vol. 5, No. 2, 155–170

Not really related to protein but here are a couple primary source pieces that I had used for something related to carbs.

Stuart D.R. Galloway, Matthew J.E. Lott, and Lindsay C. Toulouse. Preexercise Carbohydrate Feeding and High-Intensity Exercise Capacity: Effects of Timing of Intake and Carbohydrate Concentration. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 258 -266

Ste´phanie Vieillevoye • Jacques R. Poortmans, Jacques Duchateau • Alain Carpentier. (2010). Effects of a combined essential amino acids/carbohydrate supplementation on muscle mass, architecture and maximal strength following heavy-load training. Eur J Appl Physiol (2010) 110:479–488

The above study from Galloway, Lott, and Toulouse is actually very interesting and actually applied it to my own training and found the results to carry over.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    "meet nutrient requirements" implies a minimalist approach.
    So the RDA rec is 50ish grams (minimum) and the bodybuilding rec is 1g./lb. LBM, so probably double that for a woman (more for a man), also a minimum. All I've said is that these two schools of thought exist. Even Sidesteel's Erik Helms quote shows that's hardly a controversial opinion.

Why is anyone arguing there are not multiple schools of thought? They're not saying the same thing. One is recommending a minimum double or triple the other. Which is fine, but the issue isn't black and white.
  • Sam_I_Am77

I do not think anyone is saying that his sources and interpretations are absolute. However, other studies/reviews I have seen, including the ones by Helms (who is a researcher in the fitness industry), are not contradictory from what I see when looked at, at a high level.

ETA: to clarify, by at a high level, I mean the general conclusion as it it does not go into the ranges/discussions that say Helms does.

No, I was probably editing while you were typing; I wouldn't do that.
  • Sarauk2sf

No, I was probably editing while you were typing; I wouldn't do that.

Sorry, that's what I meant. You edited after I started to respond but before I clicked post reply - should have been clearer.
  • Sarauk2sf

Did not realize we were arguing. To me, you seemed to have an objection to newer studies not being included (or older studies being included). I was wondering what ones you thought were missing, or which older ones may have newer ones calling them into question, as if you knew of any, I would like to look at them to the 'mix' of relevant studies.

Like I said above, my objection to the older research is related to the standards I'm held to in my MS program, that's all. After a year of them being pounded into us with wonderful deductions to grades because of poor research choices I tend to follow them pretty strictly, perhaps a little looser outside of the confines of class but still pretty closely.

I don't have time to really research the topic directly but here are some resources I had saved from previous classes. A couple of these might be applicable to this thread, but probably not too much. I don't recall exactly why I saved these, I think we were looking at Vegan athletes at the time. This isn't APA format, but who's grading? LOL

Secondary Source Examples:

MARK A. TARNOPOLSKY. Building muscle: nutrition to maximize bulk and strength adaptations to resistance exercise training. European Journal of Sport Science, March 2008; 8(2): 6776

Joel Fuhrman and Deana M. Ferreri. Fueling the Vegetarian (Vegan) Athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports

John D Bosse1,2* and Brian M Dixon1. (2010). Dietary protein to maximize resistance training: a review and examination of protein spread and change theories. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:42

Matthew Stark1, Judith Lukaszuk1*, Aimee Prawitz1 and Amanda Salacinski2. (2012) Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:54

Eric R. Helms, Caryn Zinn, David S. Rowlands, and Scott R. Brown. (2014). A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes. Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 127 -138

ELIZABETH CHERRY. (2006). Veganism as a Cultural Movement:A Relational Approach. Social Movement Studies. Vol. 5, No. 2, 155–170

Not really related to protein but here are a couple primary source pieces that I had used for something related to carbs.

Stuart D.R. Galloway, Matthew J.E. Lott, and Lindsay C. Toulouse. Preexercise Carbohydrate Feeding and High-Intensity Exercise Capacity: Effects of Timing of Intake and Carbohydrate Concentration. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 258 -266

Ste´phanie Vieillevoye • Jacques R. Poortmans, Jacques Duchateau • Alain Carpentier. (2010). Effects of a combined essential amino acids/carbohydrate supplementation on muscle mass, architecture and maximal strength following heavy-load training. Eur J Appl Physiol (2010) 110:479–488

The above study from Galloway, Lott, and Toulouse is actually very interesting and actually applied it to my own training and found the results to carry over.

^^thanks.

As I noted, the Helms one is not contradictory at the high level, will have a look at those others to see if covered by, or at least considered in, his analysis (his was pretty extensive). Just for my own nerd reasons I am wondering whether the Tarnopolsky one was not used as it was specifically looked at and excluded for a specific reason (as mentioned by SideSteel, there were a couple excluded - I cannot recall which ones though without looking into it further) - Menno used his other studies. I am actually interested in the vegan ones - just for nerd reasons, so thanks for those as I had not really looked into it and its an interesting topic to me. Thanks for the other links also.

FWIW, I have a generalized concern with older studies - not that they are older, but tend, moreso than more recent studies (or at least that's my impression) to use nitrogen balance as a proxy for protein requirements, which tends to underestimate requirements.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    lemon629 wrote: »
    It's 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.

and you got flagged for that...

It must be a "totes accurate" flag. Or just a flag troll.

Maybe some people think flagging a post is the same as "liking" a post? Or perhaps they think flagging it is like marking it to find again later?

Never mind... I just started the flag process to see what happens. It is quite clear that flagging is to be used for improper posts.

yup. She didn't warrant a flag for that. It's dumb.

The flag is gone. Poof. Disappeared. It's magic ;)

I should flag it for the lulz.

You wouldn't dare :o
    srs?
    You know my style better than that... lol.

True but I like to think you are nicer than you come across in the forums… you know, giving you the benefit of the doubt :p

You might be on to something.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited January 2015
    I go with the .8g/lb rule...and I don't even get that much. If I'm in the 30s, it's a big day. I just don't like protein foods. Working on it.

I think most bodybuilders like to go over whatever that highest number that has been proven to be of any use (1.2?) might be, but it's not a big deal. If they want to eat more protein, good for them.

Wish I could absorb some of that love for protein. Totally jealous.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Eat as much or little protein you want. I tend to at least try to hit my numbers so to make sure not to negate my lifting progress. Especially while in a deficit
  • Wheelhouse15
    So the RDA rec is 50ish grams (minimum) and the bodybuilding rec is 1g./lb. LBM, so probably double that for a woman (more for a man), also a minimum. All I've said is that these two schools of thought exist. Even Sidesteel's Erik Helms quote shows that's hardly a controversial opinion.

Why is anyone arguing there are not multiple schools of thought? They're not saying the same thing. One is recommending a minimum double or triple the other. Which is fine, but the issue isn't black and white.

If you are talking about a optimal point where protein needs are met then that's a fact of biology and you don't get your own facts. Now, if you are talking about filling out your macros, because you need to get your calories from somewhere, then sure I can say there are two schools of thought.
  • Wheelhouse15
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I go with the .8g/lb rule...and I don't even get that much. If I'm in the 30s, it's a big day. I just don't like protein foods. Working on it.

I think most bodybuilders like to go over whatever that highest number that has been proven to be of any use (1.2?) might be, but it's not a big deal. If they want to eat more protein, good for them.

Those 2 lines together make no sense at all. 30s is a big day bUT then you go .8 rule. So you're at least 100g short. OK I get it

Also, don't make assumptions about bodybuilders. You have none clue of the mminds frame.

Considering how varied body builders are there is no real way to understand what a person things or believes just from that description alone. Some are very scientific and have advanced degrees in health and life sciences (nutrition, biology, biochemstry, exercise physiology etc are rather common) on one end and those who are bros on the other and and people from everywhere in between.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    The RDA is a minimum to stave off malnutrition for the average sedentary person....critical thinking has gone critical.
  • Wheelhouse15
    I like donuts

They have protein. :)
  • WalkingAlong

If you are talking about a optimal point where protein needs are met then that's a fact of biology and you don't get your own facts. Now, if you are talking about filling out your macros, because you need to get your calories from somewhere, then sure I can say there are two schools of thought.
    Who gets to decide what are facts of biology? Authorities differ. Even the OP link admits that.

• Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015

Who gets to decide what are facts of biology? Authorities differ. Even the OP link admits that.

Biology isn't a soft science. There may be reasons why they advocate one position or another but the facts aren't debatable. If your markers indicate a max at a certain level that's the max you can absorb, their may be reasons to take higher amounts but not for muscle building purposes. However, if you can show that there is some benefit to muscle building beyond the normal maximums, and some evidence shows this, then there may be a reason for higher intake for muscle building. This is where there may be room for debate but it's not schools of thought it's looking for additional evidence to support a theory.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Yeah I heard a friend say it was a myth too. I wonder though if I have as much lean body mass as he does in body weight since he only consumes like 50-60 grams of protein a day.
  • Sarauk2sf

Those 2 lines together make no sense at all. 30s is a big day bUT then you go .8 rule. So you're at least 100g short. OK I get it

Also, don't make assumptions about bodybuilders. You have none clue of the mminds frame.

Considering how varied body builders are there is no real way to understand what a person things or believes just from that description alone. Some are very scientific and have advanced degrees in health and life sciences (nutrition, biology, biochemstry, exercise physiology etc are rather common) on one end and those who are bros on the other and and people from everywhere in between.

I agree and that's why it makes no sense when people say stuff like that. Specially a 40 something year old that doesn't understand protein requirements or what bodybuilders think. It's just more assumptions by that member as always.

Why bring age into it (unless relates to protein requirements)?

Generally, bb'ers (at least competitive ones) do tend to err on the high side as they are trying to eek out every advantage. While not a bb'er, my target is a little under 1g/lb BW at maintenance and a little over 1g/lb BW when on a cut. I tend towards high protein naturally so its not an issue for me to hit it, usually even without protein powder.
  • Wheelhouse15

I agree and that's why it makes no sense when people say stuff like that. Specially a 40 something year old that doesn't understand protein requirements or what bodybuilders think. It's just more assumptions by that member as always.

Generally, bb'ers (at least competitive ones) do tend to err on the high side as they are trying to eek out every advantage. While not a bb'er, my target is a little under 1g/lb BW at maintenance and a little over 1g/lb BW when on a cut. I tend towards high protein naturally so its not an issue for me to hit it, usually even without protein powder.

I've seen those on BB.com who are trying to hit 2, 3 and even 4g/lb because of broscience. For a person that is 200+lbs that a LOT of protein to eat. I just don't see how someone can eat that much, of course, they are probably eating a lot of chicken, tuna and protein shakes and bars.
  • Sarauk2sf

I've seen those on BB.com who are trying to hit 2, 3 and even 4g/lb because of broscience. For a person that is 200+lbs that a LOT of protein to eat. I just don't see how someone can eat that much, of course, they are probably eating a lot of chicken, tuna and protein shakes and bars.

Yep, I have seen that also. After a point, eeking out every advantage from one aspect becomes pointless at best and aa disadvantage - as in meaning that you need to overly restrict carbs or fats - not something that is a good idea generally when trying to maximize MPS.
  • WalkingAlong

Because he thinks that being women in our 40s, some of us are idiots who couldn't possibly know anything. That's not the first time he's slipped. I believe I've been referred to as 'some grandma with her Readers Digest', when I was newer here. :D
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Because he thinks that being women in our 40s, some of us are idiots who couldn't possibly know anything. That's not the first time he's slipped. I believe I've been referred to as 'some grandma with her Readers Digest', when I was newer here. :D

This whole conversation is hilarious.
  • Wheelhouse15

Yep, I have seen that also. After a point, eeking out every advantage from one aspect becomes pointless at best and aa disadvantage - as in meaning that you need to overly restrict carbs or fats - not something that is a good idea generally when trying to maximize MPS.

@150lbs it's 600g of protien or 2400 cals per day. Now I have a sedentary job but am active so my maintenance is around 3000. That leaves almost nothing for carbs since I will need some fat, and the majority of protein will be carbs eventually anyway. Soooooo, my diet is so restrictive unless I up my cardio to get, say, 3500 cals for a bit more variety. Oh but wait! Broscience says cardio = bad! now I have to plant my butt on the couch with nothing but chicken breasts, broccoli, and some brown rice. Life is going to suck!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

@150lbs it's 600g of protien or 2400 cals per day. Now I have a sedentary job but am active so my maintenance is around 3000. That leaves almost nothing for carbs since I will need some fat, and the majority of protein will be carbs eventually anyway. Soooooo, my diet is so restrictive unless I up my cardio to get, say, 3500 cals for a bit more variety. Oh but wait! Broscience says cardio = bad! now I have to plant my butt on the couch with nothing but chicken breasts, broccoli, and some brown rice. Life is going to suck!

Nevermind that at that high of a protein level you're body is just going to break the protein down for energy in a less efficient process than if it were using carbs. So you're essentially just throwing your money away since carbs would be cheaper.
  • dbmata

Also, don't make assumptions about bodybuilders. You have none clue of the mind frame.

Glad you wrote that before I could.

I read that first line and was like... wut? Someone's not doing it right.
  • dbmata
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

This whole conversation is hilarious.

Truth.
  • dbmata
    herrspoons wrote: »

Well, in fairness, BB.com is a howling void of idiocy and insecurity. Avoid.

It's a lot more level than most of the threads here... (*calming awaiting next mean people thread*)