1 gram of protein per lbs myth

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    BB.com is loaded with preteens and morons. They all read "TRAIN" magazine and believe all the BS in bodybuilding magazines.

I can't find the study, which there are MULTIPLE ones, including from Alan Aragon & Layne Norton.... but, you only need 0.82g per lb.

Anything else, is overkill or personal preference. People who use steroids and other drugs, need a lot more. I go way over my limit due to I love meat, and yogurts.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    BB.com is loaded with preteens and morons. They all read "TRAIN" magazine and believe all the BS in bodybuilding magazines.

I can't find the study, which there are MULTIPLE ones, including from Alan Aragon & Layne Norton.... but, you only need 0.82g per lb.

Anything else, is overkill or personal preference. People who use steroids and other drugs, need a lot more. I go way over my limit due to I love meat, and yogurts.

delete.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

delete.

Delete what?
  • yopeeps025

delete.

Delete what?

My comment.
    Since I notice some mods do delete comments.
  • yopeeps025
    LOL

_nev3127-125x145-cropped.jpg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I go with the .8g/lb rule...and I don't even get that much. If I'm in the 30s, it's a big day. I just don't like protein foods. Working on it.

I think most bodybuilders like to go over whatever that highest number that has been proven to be of any use (1.2?) might be, but it's not a big deal. If they want to eat more protein, good for them.

Wish I could absorb some of that love for protein. Totally jealous.

Those 2 lines together make no sense at all. 30s is a big day bUT then you go .8 rule. So you're at least 100g short. OK I get it

Also, don't make assumptions about bodybuilders. You have none clue of the mminds frame.

Considering how varied body builders are there is no real way to understand what a person things or believes just from that description alone. Some are very scientific and have advanced degrees in health and life sciences (nutrition, biology, biochemstry, exercise physiology etc are rather common) on one end and those who are bros on the other and and people from everywhere in between.

I agree and that's why it makes no sense when people say stuff like that. Specially a 40 something year old that doesn't understand protein requirements or what bodybuilders think. It's just more assumptions by that member as always.

Why bring age into it (unless relates to protein requirements)?

Generally, bb'ers (at least competitive ones) do tend to err on the high side as they are trying to eek out every advantage. While not a bb'er, my target is a little under 1g/lb BW at maintenance and a little over 1g/lb BW when on a cut. I tend towards high protein naturally so its not an issue for me to hit it, usually even without protein powder.

I've seen those on BB.com who are trying to hit 2, 3 and even 4g/lb because of broscience. For a person that is 200+lbs that a LOT of protein to eat. I just don't see how someone can eat that much, of course, they are probably eating a lot of chicken, tuna and protein shakes and bars.

Yep, I have seen that also. After a point, eeking out every advantage from one aspect becomes pointless at best and aa disadvantage - as in meaning that you need to overly restrict carbs or fats - not something that is a good idea generally when trying to maximize MPS.

@150lbs it's 600g of protien or 2400 cals per day. Now I have a sedentary job but am active so my maintenance is around 3000. That leaves almost nothing for carbs since I will need some fat, and the majority of protein will be carbs eventually anyway. Soooooo, my diet is so restrictive unless I up my cardio to get, say, 3500 cals for a bit more variety. Oh but wait! Broscience says cardio = bad! now I have to plant my butt on the couch with nothing but chicken breasts, broccoli, and some brown rice. Life is going to suck!

Nevermind that at that high of a protein level you're body is just going to break the protein down for energy in a less efficient process than if it were using carbs. So you're essentially just throwing your money away since carbs would be cheaper.

Yeah, once you reach your protein max it undergoes deaminase and then you just have a bunch of expensive carbs and most high carb foods are much less expensive than high protein foods. A bag of oats is really cheap and just as good at that point.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I go with the .8g/lb rule...and I don't even get that much. If I'm in the 30s, it's a big day. I just don't like protein foods. Working on it.

I think most bodybuilders like to go over whatever that highest number that has been proven to be of any use (1.2?) might be, but it's not a big deal. If they want to eat more protein, good for them.

Those 2 lines together make no sense at all. 30s is a big day bUT then you go .8 rule. So you're at least 100g short. OK I get it

Also, don't make assumptions about bodybuilders. You have none clue of the mminds frame.

Considering how varied body builders are there is no real way to understand what a person things or believes just from that description alone. Some are very scientific and have advanced degrees in health and life sciences (nutrition, biology, biochemstry, exercise physiology etc are rather common) on one end and those who are bros on the other and and people from everywhere in between.

I agree and that's why it makes no sense when people say stuff like that. Specially a 40 something year old that doesn't understand protein requirements or what bodybuilders think. It's just more assumptions by that member as always.

Generally, bb'ers (at least competitive ones) do tend to err on the high side as they are trying to eek out every advantage. While not a bb'er, my target is a little under 1g/lb BW at maintenance and a little over 1g/lb BW when on a cut. I tend towards high protein naturally so its not an issue for me to hit it, usually even without protein powder.

I've seen those on BB.com who are trying to hit 2, 3 and even 4g/lb because of broscience. For a person that is 200+lbs that a LOT of protein to eat. I just don't see how someone can eat that much, of course, they are probably eating a lot of chicken, tuna and protein shakes and bars.

Well, in fairness, BB.com is a howling void of idiocy and insecurity. Avoid.

LOL, they have a guy there that argued that you can do a workout every other day and that it works out to 4 or 5 times a week! You can't write comedy like that! :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

LOL, they have guys there that argue that you can do a workout every other day and that it works out to 4 or 5 times a week! You can't write comedy like that! :D

lol, you should check out t-nation sometimes... lol.
  • yopeeps025
    dbmata wrote: »

LOL, they have guys there that argue that you can do a workout every other day and that it works out to 4 or 5 times a week! You can't write comedy like that! :D

Read there latest article of squat form.

• Wheelhouse15

Oh, I used to go there all the time, and it's a VERY interesting place.
  • dbmata

I saw a thread about a geared lifter that wanted to compete once in a non-tested pl meet, and posters were flippin' tables over him being geared, but wanting to compete USAPL just for the experience in a meet.
  • yopeeps025

Is it wrong that every time I hear T Nation it reminds me of your first days here? Lol.

That would be a statement not a question because it is true.
  • dbmata

Is it wrong that every time I hear T Nation it reminds me of your first days here? Lol.

lol. Why is that?
  • yopeeps025

Touché

Yes I was wrong sometimes but I will own it.
  • dbmata

bros know bros get warned for correcting grammar issues round these parts. lol.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    What I do have an issue is when that specific little group here, they know who they are give random advice and it's usually some off base stuff.

tumblr_mlzxfnHs8z1r8t4b8o1_500.png

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Yep, I have seen that also. After a point, eeking out every advantage from one aspect becomes pointless at best and aa disadvantage - as in meaning that you need to overly restrict carbs or fats - not something that is a good idea generally when trying to maximize MPS.

@150lbs it's 600g of protien or 2400 cals per day. Now I have a sedentary job but am active so my maintenance is around 3000. That leaves almost nothing for carbs since I will need some fat, and the majority of protein will be carbs eventually anyway. Soooooo, my diet is so restrictive unless I up my cardio to get, say, 3500 cals for a bit more variety. Oh but wait! Broscience says cardio = bad! now I have to plant my butt on the couch with nothing but chicken breasts, broccoli, and some brown rice. Life is going to suck!

Holy typos on my post batman! lol

Yep - there is absolutely no point going that high, and it will be counter-productive anyway. Good luck to those keeping test up with only a very small fat allowance.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    This is from dietitian.com:

"The RDA for protein for adult males is 63 grams per day. Athletes can maintain protein equilibrium (muscle building equals muscle breakdown) on 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. So take your weight, divide by 2.2 then multiply by 1. In fact most persons can achieve protein equilibrium (positive nitrogen balance) at 0.6 to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram per day.

[. . .]

(emphasis added)

Just an aside, I love this sterling editing at dietitian.com, but I think the formula is incomplete. Should be: "So take your weight, divide by 2.2, then multiply by 1, then multiply by 1 again, then divide by 1, then add 0."

When do I get my check from dietitian.com?

Cheers!
  • Sarauk2sf

Actually, I think steroid users need less IIRC.

0.82g/lb approximates 1lb/LBM - which is what the article in the OP suggests. The requirement however is context dependent - as in, for example, how lean someone, their level of activity, whether at a deficit or not - all of these factors mean that optimal amount of protein is higher.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015

Because he thinks that being women in our 40s, some of us are idiots who couldn't possibly know anything. That's not the first time he's slipped. I believe I've been referred to as 'some grandma with her Readers Digest', when I was newer here. :D

In fairness, he has never indicated or implied that I am an idiot nor that I do not know anything, quite the opposite in fact. My age is irrelevant (which is why I made the comment in the first place as I was surprised age was brought up).
  • Sarauk2sf

Because he thinks that being women in our 40s, some of us are idiots who couldn't possibly know anything. That's not the first time he's slipped. I believe I've been referred to as 'some grandma with her Readers Digest', when I was newer here. :D
    No, I do not think women in their 40's are idiots. Far from it. What I do have an issue is when that specific little group here, they know who they are give random advice and it's usually some off base stuff. I was not talking to you nor was I talking to Sara. That member I replied to specifically constantly does that.

So you think that's the only site with idiots and morons? There are none on site at all? We all read Train magazine? Interesting, I've never even seen one. There are actually some very intelligent people over there as well as over here. And idiots and bro science believers on both.

For the record, Aragon posts there (as does Layne).

There are actually some really knowledgeable people on the forums - you just need to weed them out.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Now, many of the newer studies include some 'better' data, due to the passage of time and therefore technology. For example, better BF% assessments - it does not negate the older ones, but mitigates limitations.

It really depends. Newer could negate the older ones due to new information, better understanding of the topic. It could expand upon older research and provide new insight. Or it can provide something completely different that warrants further research. Think about stuff like DOM's. At one time the data said it was lactic acid build-up, now the data says it's micro-damage to the muscle tissue. There's probably little reason to look at the old data on that subject at this point. It really depends on what's being reviewed. I was surprised that such old information was used on the subject of protein when protein has been researched at nauseum over the last 10 years, there is so much current info out there.

Did not say that they could not.

Also, it may be been studied ad nauseum, but you need to ring fence to try to be applicable to the population you are looking at addressing. Can you point out studies that you think should have been included that were not?

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago.

Why are we arguing about something stupid again?

Did not realize we were arguing. To me, you seemed to have an objection to newer studies not being included (or older studies being included). I was wondering what ones you thought were missing, or which older ones may have newer ones calling them into question, as if you knew of any, I would like to look at them to the 'mix' of relevant studies.

Like I said above, my objection to the older research is related to the standards I'm held to in my MS program, that's all. After a year of them being pounded into us with wonderful deductions to grades because of poor research choices I tend to follow them pretty strictly, perhaps a little looser outside of the confines of class but still pretty closely.

I don't have time to really research the topic directly but here are some resources I had saved from previous classes. A couple of these might be applicable to this thread, but probably not too much. I don't recall exactly why I saved these, I think we were looking at Vegan athletes at the time. This isn't APA format, but who's grading? LOL

Secondary Source Examples:

MARK A. TARNOPOLSKY. Building muscle: nutrition to maximize bulk and strength adaptations to resistance exercise training. European Journal of Sport Science, March 2008; 8(2): 6776

Joel Fuhrman and Deana M. Ferreri. Fueling the Vegetarian (Vegan) Athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports

John D Bosse1,2* and Brian M Dixon1. (2010). Dietary protein to maximize resistance training: a review and examination of protein spread and change theories. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:42

Matthew Stark1, Judith Lukaszuk1*, Aimee Prawitz1 and Amanda Salacinski2. (2012) Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:54

Eric R. Helms, Caryn Zinn, David S. Rowlands, and Scott R. Brown. (2014). A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes. Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 127 -138

ELIZABETH CHERRY. (2006). Veganism as a Cultural Movement:A Relational Approach. Social Movement Studies. Vol. 5, No. 2, 155–170

Not really related to protein but here are a couple primary source pieces that I had used for something related to carbs.

Stuart D.R. Galloway, Matthew J.E. Lott, and Lindsay C. Toulouse. Preexercise Carbohydrate Feeding and High-Intensity Exercise Capacity: Effects of Timing of Intake and Carbohydrate Concentration. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 258 -266

Ste´phanie Vieillevoye • Jacques R. Poortmans, Jacques Duchateau • Alain Carpentier. (2010). Effects of a combined essential amino acids/carbohydrate supplementation on muscle mass, architecture and maximal strength following heavy-load training. Eur J Appl Physiol (2010) 110:479–488

The above study from Galloway, Lott, and Toulouse is actually very interesting and actually applied it to my own training and found the results to carry over.

^^thanks.

As I noted, the Helms one is not contradictory at the high level, will have a look at those others to see if covered by, or at least considered in, his analysis (his was pretty extensive). Just for my own nerd reasons I am wondering whether the Tarnopolsky one was not used as it was specifically looked at and excluded for a specific reason (as mentioned by SideSteel, there were a couple excluded - I cannot recall which ones though without looking into it further) - Menno used his other studies. I am actually interested in the vegan ones - just for nerd reasons, so thanks for those as I had not really looked into it and its an interesting topic to me. Thanks for the other links also.

FWIW, I have a generalized concern with older studies - not that they are older, but tend, moreso than more recent studies (or at least that's my impression) to use nitrogen balance as a proxy for protein requirements, which tends to underestimate requirements.

Hey no problem. Honestly I hate the whole topic of protein because there is just so much information out there and the results are so varied. I've read everything from 1.2gms / kg to 1.8gm's kg for athletes and as high as 2.3gm's / kg for strength athletes and horse jockeys. You want to talk about an area of research that suffers from research bias, the subject of protein seems to be ripe with it. I think when you look at the collective body of evidence I think a couple things are clear, anything above 2.3gm's / kg for non-precontest bodybuilders is definitely excessive, but athletes in particular can hit 1.6gm's / kg. There are studies that say athletes can do like 1.4 but I've read more that say 1.6 - 1.8, so that is what I would stick to in the case of athletes. Not that I'm 100% right and absolute, that's just what I see more frequently in work I've read for school so that is what I would stick with, other quantities would likely work fine as well.

Aside from the actual research, it's interesting to listen to the actual researchers talk. Layne Norton has a podcast and has talked about this subject-matter. Since Dr. Norton did his PhD work on Protein, I would say his opinions have considerable merit. The ISSN has a podcast called "We Do Science! The Guru Performance Podcast" and you get all kind of researchers on from Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf

I saw a thread about a geared lifter that wanted to compete once in a non-tested pl meet, and posters were flippin' tables over him being geared, but wanting to compete USAPL just for the experience in a meet.

Why would he pick USAPL if he was on gear?
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Now, many of the newer studies include some 'better' data, due to the passage of time and therefore technology. For example, better BF% assessments - it does not negate the older ones, but mitigates limitations.

It really depends. Newer could negate the older ones due to new information, better understanding of the topic. It could expand upon older research and provide new insight. Or it can provide something completely different that warrants further research. Think about stuff like DOM's. At one time the data said it was lactic acid build-up, now the data says it's micro-damage to the muscle tissue. There's probably little reason to look at the old data on that subject at this point. It really depends on what's being reviewed. I was surprised that such old information was used on the subject of protein when protein has been researched at nauseum over the last 10 years, there is so much current info out there.

Also, it may be been studied ad nauseum, but you need to ring fence to try to be applicable to the population you are looking at addressing. Can you point out studies that you think should have been included that were not?

If I had time to research this topic on my own I definitely could, I actually had to do a fair amount of research on Protein a couple semesters ago.

Did not realize we were arguing. To me, you seemed to have an objection to newer studies not being included (or older studies being included). I was wondering what ones you thought were missing, or which older ones may have newer ones calling them into question, as if you knew of any, I would like to look at them to the 'mix' of relevant studies.

Like I said above, my objection to the older research is related to the standards I'm held to in my MS program, that's all. After a year of them being pounded into us with wonderful deductions to grades because of poor research choices I tend to follow them pretty strictly, perhaps a little looser outside of the confines of class but still pretty closely.

I don't have time to really research the topic directly but here are some resources I had saved from previous classes. A couple of these might be applicable to this thread, but probably not too much. I don't recall exactly why I saved these, I think we were looking at Vegan athletes at the time. This isn't APA format, but who's grading? LOL

MARK A. TARNOPOLSKY. Building muscle: nutrition to maximize bulk and strength adaptations to resistance exercise training. European Journal of Sport Science, March 2008; 8(2): 6776

Joel Fuhrman and Deana M. Ferreri. Fueling the Vegetarian (Vegan) Athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports

John D Bosse1,2* and Brian M Dixon1. (2010). Dietary protein to maximize resistance training: a review and examination of protein spread and change theories. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:42

Matthew Stark1, Judith Lukaszuk1*, Aimee Prawitz1 and Amanda Salacinski2. (2012) Protein timing and its effects on muscular hypertrophy and strength in individuals engaged in weight-training. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2012, 9:54

Eric R. Helms, Caryn Zinn, David S. Rowlands, and Scott R. Brown. (2014). A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes. Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 127 -138

ELIZABETH CHERRY. (2006). Veganism as a Cultural Movement:A Relational Approach. Social Movement Studies. Vol. 5, No. 2, 155–170

Not really related to protein but here are a couple primary source pieces that I had used for something related to carbs.

Stuart D.R. Galloway, Matthew J.E. Lott, and Lindsay C. Toulouse. Preexercise Carbohydrate Feeding and High-Intensity Exercise Capacity: Effects of Timing of Intake and Carbohydrate Concentration. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2014, 24, 258 -266

Ste´phanie Vieillevoye • Jacques R. Poortmans, Jacques Duchateau • Alain Carpentier. (2010). Effects of a combined essential amino acids/carbohydrate supplementation on muscle mass, architecture and maximal strength following heavy-load training. Eur J Appl Physiol (2010) 110:479–488

The above study from Galloway, Lott, and Toulouse is actually very interesting and actually applied it to my own training and found the results to carry over.

^^thanks.

As I noted, the Helms one is not contradictory at the high level, will have a look at those others to see if covered by, or at least considered in, his analysis (his was pretty extensive). Just for my own nerd reasons I am wondering whether the Tarnopolsky one was not used as it was specifically looked at and excluded for a specific reason (as mentioned by SideSteel, there were a couple excluded - I cannot recall which ones though without looking into it further) - Menno used his other studies. I am actually interested in the vegan ones - just for nerd reasons, so thanks for those as I had not really looked into it and its an interesting topic to me. Thanks for the other links also.

FWIW, I have a generalized concern with older studies - not that they are older, but tend, moreso than more recent studies (or at least that's my impression) to use nitrogen balance as a proxy for protein requirements, which tends to underestimate requirements.

Hey no problem. Honestly I hate the whole topic of protein because there is just so much information out there and the results are so varied. I've read everything from 1.2gms / kg to 1.8gm's kg for athletes and as high as 2.3gm's / kg for strength athletes and horse jockeys. You want to talk about an area of research that suffers from research bias, the subject of protein seems to be ripe with it. I think when you look at the collective body of evidence I think a couple things are clear, anything above 2.3gm's / kg for non-precontest bodybuilders is definitely excessive, but athletes in particular can hit 1.6gm's / kg. There are studies that say athletes can do like 1.4 but I've read more that say 1.6 - 1.8, so that is what I would stick to in the case of athletes. Not that I'm 100% right and absolute, that's just what I see more frequently in work I've read for school so that is what I would stick with, other quantities would likely work fine as well.

Aside from the actual research, it's interesting to listen to the actual researchers talk. Layne Norton has a podcast and has talked about this subject-matter. Since Dr. Norton did his PhD work on Protein, I would say his opinions have considerable merit. The ISSN has a podcast called "We Do Science! The Guru Performance Podcast" and you get all kind of researchers on from Alan Aragon, Brad Schoenfeld, etc.

I am not so sure its research bias (well, more than average), but there are just so many variables - leanness, natural v gears, trained v untrained, deficit v surplus, and all the grey in between.

The Protein roundtable on Youtube is a great listen, which I am sure you have probably done - with Aragon and Helms

I am going to the Fitness Summit in May with SideSteel (well that's the current plan anyway) which I am really looking forward to - the line up is excellent. You jelly? :p
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

^^thanks.

I am not so sure its research bias (well, more than average), but there are just so many variables - leanness, natural v gears, trained v untrained, deficit v surplus, and all the grey in between.

The Protein roundtable on Youtube is a great listen, which I am sure you have probably done - with Aragon and Helms

I am going to the Fitness Summit in May with SideSteel (well that's the current plan anyway) which I am really looking forward to - the line up is excellent. You jelly? :p

Yeah, "variables" is probably a more correct word instead of "bias". I've heard about the Fitness Summit and yes I am jealous. LOL! Unfortunately I'm sure I'll be eyes-deep in finishing research papers and final exams. :neutral_face:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

I was curious as to how old she was…. Thanks for letting me know ;)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I like donuts

Did someone say donuts?

Ate these babies the other day...

8oaipwpofos6.jpg
  • dbmata

Why would he pick USAPL if he was on gear?

If I remember correctly, it was the only comp within a reasonable distance.

I understand the situation. Now that my doctor has me on TRT, in order for me to compete in anything I have to make a 4 hour drive to Seattle.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    tumblr_m13ktsoSEp1qigxnjo1_500.jpg

Don't mind me, just doing a little cleaning.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    We're back.

da10a526cc2ee1a2ebb9286033a2aa45.jpg