Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue IMO is .................................cost. Wish it cost less so I could buy more. Like anything else, over consumption of meat isn't the right way to go. There are lots of studies to verify eating less meat does help with health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • edhsu1999
    Options
    Heart problems, cancer risk, bad for environment, to name few.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    As above (but I do not moderate my meat eating!).

Nice to see that our dietary guidelines may change to accommodate sustainability issues. Because, whatever your views may be on environmental sustainability, it surely must be critical to the dietary guidelines for human beings.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Over consumption of meat, much like anything else, brings problem. So I am going to jump to conclusions and assume the average American consumes too much meat, and that is why they are saying to cut it.

That is the only way it would make sense. If you consume meat in moderation, nothing wrong with it.

I want a steak now.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that it's the flesh of dead animals? >_>

*the stereotypical vegetarian chiming in*
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

For some, they're in denial of what they are. So the fact that something dies in order to have meat, it makes their sparkles a little less sparkly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nothing..it is freaking delicious contains fat and proteins and goes great with a glass of red wine….

over indulging in anything leads to problems….
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't say meat is bad I can't say hunting is bad some need to be thinned out. I love the taste and my muscles love the way it effects them. High fat meat needs to be eaten in moderation but that can be said even about sugar. You will hear all kinds of support and views but all things not in moderation are possible causes for health issues. Enjoy life and and food
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge animal lover- actually owned a pet health company for a time, but I'm allergic to most legumes. Meat is my best protein source. I live in a rural area and buy from farmers I know. Nothing wrong with that.
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    It is delicious but i cut bacín on my meat intake not because some dumb animal its because nutrition meat per calorie meat is very low in nutrients compared to fruits and vegetables
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. I eat most kinds of meats. It's good protein and reasonably low in fat if you get the right cut, and has no carbs. It's the perfect thing for me to eat in moderation and pairs well with the high protein, moderate carbohydrate diet prescribed by many of my doctors.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,894 Member
    Options
    Buying local from responsible purveyors probably never crossed their minds and the impact that may have on that economy......yeah probably better to get produce from other countries where we have more control over the how's.....makes sense.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    the only problem with meat these days is i don't get to smash enough pork ribs and chicken wings. only worth the calories once every few months.

• Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    nothing. just eat smaller portions since steak for example can be up to 900cals for like a 14oz
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lambrah wrote: »
    nothing. just eat smaller portions since steak for example can be up to 900cals for like a 14oz

Yer i was shocked how much cals my scotch fillets had :( now i eat leaner meat like rump Still good
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Overeating of anything is bad. Red meat, pork, veggies, fruits, fish, water (for Christ's sake) can all be bad if you have too much of one of them without balancing it out.

No surprises there. That article isn't going to change what I'm eating from day to day.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Meat and animal products increase cholesterol levels.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    NOT A DAMN THING!!! Meat is just like anything else, you need to keep it in balance with the rest of your diet. If you're worried about additives, eat organic meat or do what I do and learn to hunt for your food. You'll get much healthier food at a fraction of the cost of buying it at the supermarket, plus you won't be supporting the industrialization of meat production.