Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    LCloops wrote: »
    This reminds me of the "let's talk steak" thread dbmata....I am still dreaming about that rib eye... mine came out really good... how did that huge rib eye you were showing everyone come out?? I bet it was tasty. I love meat... I eat a lot of chicken, fish but just crave a nice buffalo steak or rib eye... :)

I came out well. Er, med rare, so I was pissed. I miscalculated some of the time, but the rest of the menu was good. Sent some folks home very happy.

I'm trying it again this weeend, to get the roast temp right. I'm thinking of getting a wireless thermometer too in order to make it work better time wise.

I love Med Rare! If I dont see blood then I won't eat it.

I pulled at 131, I was shooting for 125 or so to pull it, so I borked up.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »
    1) Meat is costly
    2) Meat is an environmentally unsustainable way to feed the world's population.
    3) One of my kids is vegetarian and I'm too lazy to make double meals every night.

Both are unsustainable alone. When you repeatedly plant in the same soil year after year you deplete it. The most sustainable method is to raise both livestock and vegetation and if done right they help sustain each other.

The other two arguments I agree with.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    I love meat.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    so. not that anyone has said this here- but does anyone else get confused when people say "I don't eat meat" just fish... or eggs- or chicken.

like- what do you think that is... I don't understand why people say/think meat = red meat and not other dead animal flesh. That confuses me.
    And ethnically, the seafood and poultry industry really aren't at all good enough to justify it. ( unless you catch / raise yourself). There's also people that don't view fish as animals for some silly reason.

Fish aren't cute.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    spunmommy wrote: »
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob

Maybe, but I am a serious carnivore, like I watched that movie that turned everyone else vegan and even the worst scenes made me drool, and I do not eat any meat that isn't from a local organic farmer. The horrible thing about meat is the hormones and antibiotics that the factory farms pump it full of. WHICH don't even kill off the diseases so you have to cook the joy out of it just to make it safe.

I put in for a Kickstarter for a new butcher shop which is all about local sourcing and using the whole animal so I am planning to start trying more organ meats as soon as they open. Om freakin nom nom nom.
  • dbmata
    a kickstarter for that ? >_<
  • sofaking6
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

Shrimp taste better when they're still alive. But I wouldn't go so far as to call the dead ones "disgusting". Just a little stale.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    agal129 wrote: »
    Meat and animal products increase cholesterol levels.

No they don't....
  • sofaking6
    dbmata wrote: »
    a kickstarter for that ? >_<

They had been doing a monthly box for a while, the kickstarter was to open a storefront. So like deposit/remodeling/licensing/etc. They delivered my sausage-sampler reward already when the opening got delayed...it was delicious. And I get my name on the wall of the shop. I am very important, you know.

Looks like their website is down but here's their FB: https://www.facebook.com/HeartandTrotterButchery
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I put in for a Kickstarter for a new butcher shop which is all about local sourcing and using the whole animal so I am planning to start trying more organ meats as soon as they open. Om freakin nom nom nom.

This is one thing we could be doing to make things even better. For some reason in the US we are so squeamish about the eating of organ meats, blood, or anything besides the "normal" cuts. The sheer amount of goodness we waste from each animal is sad. If we really wanted to be awesome, we would change our mindsets about what parts we should eat.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Nothing is wrong with meat (in moderation - though I find the cap for that is pretty high). I've been missing meat a lot recently, I still eat it but on a student budget I can't buy the organic stuff more than once in a blue moon and just can't justify the caged ones even after staring longingly at how much protein they have in them. Quorn really isn't the same...
    Though if the guidelines are suggesting less meat just because it can have a lot of calories if you eat a lot of it... isn't that rather moot? There's nothing about the meat itself that needs to be capped, just that it plays by the same rules of too many calories = weight gain as everything else.

The article mentioned also talks about lessening salt restrictions which is nice if unexpected, and they even mention how little evidence the current guidelines have, but I find it funny they start off with stating factually how bad it is for you anyway.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I love meat.
    so. not that anyone has said this here- but does anyone else get confused when people say "I don't eat meat" just fish... or eggs- or chicken.

like- what do you think that is... I don't understand why people say/think meat = red meat and not other dead animal flesh. That confuses me.
    And ethnically, the seafood and poultry industry really aren't at all good enough to justify it. ( unless you catch / raise yourself). There's also people that don't view fish as animals for some silly reason.

Fish aren't cute.

Nemo.png
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I love meat.

Fish aren't cute.

Nemo.png

Touché.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Other than the fact that it's the flesh of dead animals? >_>

*the stereotypical vegetarian chiming in*

:/ that factory farming is cruel
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

This is one thing we could be doing to make things even better. For some reason in the US we are so squeamish about the eating of organ meats, blood, or anything besides the "normal" cuts. The sheer amount of goodness we waste from each animal is sad. If we really wanted to be awesome, we would change our mindsets about what parts we should eat.

Someone on my FL is always putting chicken hearts and livers and gizzards in her diary. +1 to her.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Athijade wrote: »

Someone on my FL is always putting chicken hearts and livers and gizzards in her diary. +1 to her.

Lol, you should try strolling through the meat sections in European supermarkets … specifically Germany and France. :D Recently, they have started to put just about anything back on display – livers, hearts, tail, brains, tongue, marrowbones, feet … :smiley:

I even saw pigeons being sold recently. I didn't know anybody still ate those anymore. ^^
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited January 2015
    Oh, and testicles! Saw a pair (sheep) in a small supermarket a couple weeks back. XD
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)

They stopped the practice of adding dead animals to animal feed because of mad cow disease.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I love meat.

Fish aren't cute.

Nemo.png
    Dang those sharks were right. :p

I only abstain from non-fish meats during Lent. In fact, I'm likely going to have to up my protein intake soon and slow cooker meat sounds like it will be the easiest for my mobile arm.
  • dbmata
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Other than the fact that it's the flesh of dead animals? >_>

*the stereotypical vegetarian chiming in*

:/ that factory farming is cruel

then don't buy from factory farms.
    easy peezy. been doing it for years ovah here.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    there's a fair bit of evidence that links red meat consumption to cancer. the recommendation is to limit it to a small portion (90g or something) per day. fish is great for you. chicken/eggs are OK too. i personally try to limit my red meat to once a week.