Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Options

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    SamberryC wrote: »
    People will always find good and bad things about food. I only ever eat fresh & organic meat, to avoid any GM meats.
    But it's all about moderation & finding a balanced diet.

Um..... GM meats? Really?

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    there's a fair bit of evidence that links red meat consumption to cancer. the recommendation is to limit it to a small portion (90g or something) per day. fish is great for you. chicken/eggs are OK too. i personally try to limit my red meat to once a week.
    There is no legitimate evidence that links red meat consumption to cancer, too many confounding variables.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I put in for a Kickstarter for a new butcher shop which is all about local sourcing and using the whole animal so I am planning to start trying more organ meats as soon as they open. Om freakin nom nom nom.

This is one thing we could be doing to make things even better. For some reason in the US we are so squeamish about the eating of organ meats, blood, or anything besides the "normal" cuts. The sheer amount of goodness we waste from each animal is sad. If we really wanted to be awesome, we would change our mindsets about what parts we should eat.

Someone on my FL is always putting chicken hearts and livers and gizzards in her diary. +1 to her.

I do a curry with chicken hearts and gizzards. Awesome, awesome eating.

:drinker:
  • dbmata
    Options
    ... gizzards? Really?

How do you make them not nasty?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    there's a fair bit of evidence that links red meat consumption to cancer. the recommendation is to limit it to a small portion (90g or something) per day. fish is great for you. chicken/eggs are OK too. i personally try to limit my red meat to once a week.
    There is no legitimate evidence that links red meat consumption to cancer, too many confounding variables.

Sorry to burst your bubble but sadly that's incorrect. There have been many peer reviewed studies carried out. Here's a link to get you started - http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Red-meat-and-colon-cancer.shtml

A lot of people are in denial about this issue and I think it's probably because they're attached to red meat and don't want to admit it could be bad for them in excessive amounts. I'm guessing the same thing happened when they started linking lung cancer and smoking. It's OK though, no need to be in denial because red meat is OK to have just in moderate amounts.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The people who go on about a high meat diet being unsustainable for the human population are right... because the human population is too high and increasing too quickly.

Breed less and eat more steak.

The reason meat is more unsustainable than veggies is that animals eat so much themselves before we can eat them. I was taught in school that the area of field needed to grow enough animal food to produce one meal with steak, could produce up to 100 vegetarian meals. So, growing animals for food isn't very efficient use of land.

Of course, you are also correct in that the human population is too high and increasing too quickly. Also, there are enough calories produced in the world to be enough for all of world population, it's just spread unevenly and we ("western" countries in general) just throw massive quantities of food in the garbage.

I still eat meat whenever I want to. And liver, yum. My mom used to make a pretty good kidney stew when I was a little kid, and we also sometimes ate blood pancakes. I have to admit I don't even know which animal the kidneys and blood come from, I'm guessing either cow or pig. I do try to eat the vegetarian option for lunch at least a couple of times a week. I don't really know how to make good vegetarian food, so it's just easier to eat it when somebody has cooked it for me.
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for almost 2 years but not because of ethnic thoughts. I just don't want meat anymore since I have lost over 70 pounds. Meat sounds no more interesting to me.
  • Vector_Space
    Options
    Guidelines are made by the grain industry. If you believe that than you believe corn is good for your car.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I put in for a Kickstarter for a new butcher shop which is all about local sourcing and using the whole animal so I am planning to start trying more organ meats as soon as they open. Om freakin nom nom nom.

This is one thing we could be doing to make things even better. For some reason in the US we are so squeamish about the eating of organ meats, blood, or anything besides the "normal" cuts. The sheer amount of goodness we waste from each animal is sad. If we really wanted to be awesome, we would change our mindsets about what parts we should eat.

Someone on my FL is always putting chicken hearts and livers and gizzards in her diary. +1 to her.

Lol, you should try strolling through the meat sections in European supermarkets … specifically Germany and France. :D Recently, they have started to put just about anything back on display – livers, hearts, tail, brains, tongue, marrowbones, feet … :smiley:

I even saw pigeons being sold recently. I didn't know anybody still ate those anymore. ^^

Oh, in a Faroese supermarket you find rows of sheep heads.

I like meat but am trying to use more plant-based proteins. Whole new kind of cooking so takes time to learn.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)
    Ever see a pig eat a raccoon?
    Ever see a deer eat a squirrel?
    Ever see a cow eat a mouse?

I have.

You saw a deer eat a squirrel? Bugs, yeah. But, squirrels?

Yup. Stomped on it until that squirrel stopped moving, then ate it slowly. It's been seen in populations when deer are low in calcium.

Well, I never! Seriously, never. That's interesting though.
    I generally wish I have a rifle with me and an open tag when I see deer out and about.

Not this one. It had the devil in it.

Deer are not the debil. There is nothing inherently evil about deer. :p

They are one of the most dangerous mammals in North America.

And I've known of a cow that ate a rabbit once.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    (remember mad cow disease?)

The media driven overblown "scare"? Yep. Lived in Washington State during that time (we were ground Zero in 2003) and I also remember all the people that died from it. No I don't, cause it was 0.

I like steak.

Umm... wow.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Lol, you should try strolling through the meat sections in European supermarkets … specifically Germany and France. :D Recently, they have started to put just about anything back on display – livers, hearts, tail, brains, tongue, marrowbones, feet … :smiley:

I even saw pigeons being sold recently. I didn't know anybody still ate those anymore. ^^

I like meat but am trying to use more plant-based proteins. Whole new kind of cooking so takes time to learn.

:smiley:

Oh, and tripes! Forgot about those!

I really need to visit the Faroe islands one day, I keep hearing marvellous things about them.

What do you actually do with those? Do you roast them and carve off the meat? Or are they more for soups and stuff?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The people who go on about a high meat diet being unsustainable for the human population are right... because the human population is too high and increasing too quickly.

Breed less and eat more steak.

The reason meat is more unsustainable than veggies is that animals eat so much themselves before we can eat them. I was taught in school that the area of field needed to grow enough animal food to produce one meal with steak, could produce up to 100 vegetarian meals. So, growing animals for food isn't very efficient use of land.

That only counts if you've got cows that are fed corn and stuff regularly instead of the good old grass fed ones. People can't eat grass and the usually hilly regions where cows graze just cannot be used for farmland to begin with. Win-Win situation right there.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Organ meat like heart is also good for vitamin a if you don't want veggies. My mom makes some great barbqcoa with beef tounge.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I really need to visit the Faroe islands one day, I keep hearing marvellous things about them.

What do you actually do with those? Do you roast them and carve off the meat? Or are they more for soups and stuff?

There's lots to eat on a sheep head, although I've never tried one myself. I'm not easily grossed out by stuff, but it was so unexpected to see them there when I visited the islands that I was slightly shaken. I think one can eat just about any of the soft tissues, should one so desire :)
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

There's lots to eat on a sheep head, although I've never tried one myself. I'm not easily grossed out by stuff, but it was so unexpected to see them there when I visited the islands that I was slightly shaken. I think one can eat just about any of the soft tissues, should one so desire :)

Lol. I guess I would be as well if I walked into a supermarket and suddenly had a bunch of sheep heads starting at me. ^^

that is pretty true and really applies to anything, when you think bout it. I recently discovered you there was faaar more edible stuff in a crab I could have ever imagined. :smiley: notably the entire "brain".
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

For some, they're in denial of what they are. So the fact that something dies in order to have meat, it makes their sparkles a little less sparkly.

My sparkles are just fine, thank you. Not an ounce of denial here.

I'm totally happy something can die and give me that giant porterhouse and a couple hundred hamburgers.

Some of us even raise our own, and even hunt our own, doing the denial work all by ourselves, covered in blood and guts and hide and bone.

Some of us have no qualms with the natural order of things dying to feed other things.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew more hunters!
  • patches212
    patches212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH EATING MEAT!

It is a personal choice. Some people choose not to due to their own personal rationalizations, reasons, and physical limitations.

Some cuts/types of meat are better than others. You might want to educate yourself if your concerned with fattyness and such, the leaner the cut the more protein. If you feel adventurous look up nose to tail eating too as there are many parts of the animal that are monumentally nutritious.

If you can, eat local. Making friends with a good local butcher is a great idea. You'll know where it comes from and eliminate a lot of the so-called economic and environmental "issues" that exist. Check out the manufacturing regulations of your country too, some countries have far stricter regulations which means you can actually trust major manufacturers more than you can in a place like the U.S.

While it is possible to get all the major nutrients your body needs from plant-based sources it is much more difficult. Complete proteins are incredibly limited and there are some things you will absolutely have to supplement if you want to live a long and healthy life. (B12 just to name one of them. Some good info here -->http://rawfoodsos.com/for-vegans/ )

ABOVE ALL ELSE LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY. Not what random people on the Internet say.
  • dbmata
    Options

Sorry to burst your bubble but sadly that's incorrect. There have been many peer reviewed studies carried out. Here's a link to get you started - http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Red-meat-and-colon-cancer.shtml

A lot of people are in denial about this issue and I think it's probably because they're attached to red meat and don't want to admit it could be bad for them in excessive amounts. I'm guessing the same thing happened when they started linking lung cancer and smoking. It's OK though, no need to be in denial because red meat is OK to have just in moderate amounts.
    You're adding a modifier of "excessive".

So you're saying excessive intake is a problem? No. Way. Excessive anything can be problematic, but glad to see that we've nailed that down.