Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)
    Ever see a pig eat a raccoon?
    Ever see a deer eat a squirrel?
    Ever see a cow eat a mouse?

I have.

You saw a deer eat a squirrel? Bugs, yeah. But, squirrels?

Yup. Stomped on it until that squirrel stopped moving, then ate it slowly. It's been seen in populations when deer are low in calcium.
  • dbmata
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

Why would this be disgusting?

We eat the flesh of plant and animal. It's what made us what we are.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)

I have.

Yup. Stomped on it until that squirrel stopped moving, then ate it slowly. It's been seen in populations when deer are low in calcium.

If that is true, that is bloody amazing.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have.

If that is true, that is bloody amazing.

Back when I worked for a development studio in MA we had a large library of weird stuff like that because our focus was on games with "realistic" animals (zoo tycoon series), and one of our staff members was an animal researcher from Harvard, I think.

We had a bunch of weird stuff. Even weirder though, is I saw that in person while out bass fishing in central MA.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I have.

Well, I never! Seriously, never. That's interesting though.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have.

I generally wish I have a rifle with me and an open tag when I see deer out and about.

Not this one. It had the devil in it.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I have.

I generally wish I have a rifle with me and an open tag when I see deer out and about.

That's just freaky
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have.

Deer are not the debil. There is nothing inherently evil about deer. :p
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options

I have.

This might (read is for sure) morbid, but now I am wondering what that squirrel would have looked like in the deer's stomach once you cut it open...
  • dbmata
    Options

I have.

This might (read is for sure) morbid, but now I am wondering what that squirrel would have looked like in the deer's stomach once you cut it open...

Mush? I don't make the cheiftain of the pudding clan, so I've never checked gut contents.

It would be interesting no doubt. We also had videos of deer trying to raid bird nests.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have.

Deer are not the debil. There is nothing inherently evil about deer. :p

I bet it had red eyes and antlers made of zinc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It would be interesting to see who is on the Guidelines committee. Once again this is completely ambiguous and gives no real direction to the american public. Using words like "fewer" just means that current studies say a lot of meat might be bad for you, but we arent exactly sure so it sounds like a good idea for now.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have.

Mush? I don't make the cheiftain of the pudding clan, so I've never checked gut contents.

It would be interesting no doubt. We also had videos of deer trying to raid bird nests.

Dunno, I was thinking maybe the fur might still show… and bits of bones. Like owl pellets.

You are seriously starting to convince me that deer are inherently evil. Were they aiming at the eggs or little baby birds?

98620d0ba6aeca9204c8a0dbc1f97f44.jpg
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In the context of the article, it's all about the serving size. For most meats, a serving size is about 4 oz (113.4 g). But, if you check out the average individual steak sold in a store, you're looking at 6-8 oz (170-226.8 g) or more. Think about what's available for steak cuts at your favorite restaurant-8, 14, 16 oz or more, right? In the US, and I suspect elsewhere, where meat is abundant, proportions are far too large, and meat is also dense in calories, and often in cholesterol. So, that few oz. more actually costs you a lot.

For example, a 4 oz. of sirloin steak, broiled, lean only, no added juice, fat, or spices, is about 134 calories, 14% of your daily cholesterol, and 22.4 g of protein (nearly 1/2 your daily need if you're a woman (46 average sedentary), a little over 1/3 if you're male (56). At 8 oz, the standard restaurant size, you have 268 calories, 28% of your cholesterol, and 44.7 g of protein. So, for a woman, basically their whole daily allotment for protein, but in reality, she's not going to eat just that 8 oz steak. Add it to the rest of the meal and the calories add up fast.

And many people eat chicken because they've been told it's better because it's not red, but when you abuse the portions, it's just as big a punch. 3.5 oz. of chicken is 219 calories, 26% of your cholesterol, and 25g of protein-more protein, 26% of your cholesterol. 3.5 oz is about 1 cup chopped or diced. Once again, think about the average breast sold in stores, and you can see where Americans are getting some extra calories real easy.

I love my meat. My dad even raises our own chickens. But, I measure it, and plan around it accordingly.

I eat 125 gm of protein a day. 44.7 is no where near my daily allotment and I'm only 5ft. And my cholesterol numbers are awesome.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have.

Dunno, I was thinking maybe the fur might still show… and bits of bones. Like owl pellets.

You are seriously starting to convince me that deer are inherently evil. Were they aiming at the eggs or little baby birds?

It could be the egg shells for calcium.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm quite sure that cholesterol in meat doesn't impact your cholesterol levels much at all (no matter what my doctor says). So that's pretty much irrelevant.

I guess the guidelines are just because most red meat packs up the calories.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to stop eating meat. I eat mostly chicken and turkey, and I only have red meat once in a while. I have decent health (other than being overweight) and have never had high cholesterol or high blood pressure. I also don't have moral issues with eating meat, but I respect people's opinions, and I would hope they could respect mine as well. I really think the "issue" with meat is moderation. American's probably as a whole eat a ton of meat. We are the Hamburger nation lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    These were some videos we got from Harvard research I think, I have no clue what the contents of the nests were. Probably shells for the calcium.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options

I have.

It could be the egg shells for calcium.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised by either possibility.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    1) Meat is costly
    2) Meat is an environmentally unsustainable way to feed the world's population.
    3) One of my kids is vegetarian and I'm too lazy to make double meals every night.