Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Replies

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    spunmommy wrote: »
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob

Natural venison and game meats are even better nutritionally. No cholesterol, no hormones, no antibiotics, no steroids, and 100% naturally fed. No finishing required.

Venison and other game meat has cholesterol. And it's not all 100% naturally fed. Many deer eat from corn feeders put out as bait by hunters, or feed put out in a cow/horse pasture. Small game also eat from the corn feeders, and gardens and bird feeders.

I'm not saying wild game isn't better, I happen to believe it is. But it's not all 100% natural.

Baiting where I hunt is illegal. I don't bait. I don't hunt deer that live on or around farms either. They are mountain deer that probably have never seen a corn field or any other cultivated field for that matter. It isn't hard to see what a deer has been eating when you open their stomach after you harvest one. You can tell a lot about what your meat will taste like if you do.

Agreed, it's not 100% cholesterol free, but it's a heck of a lot lower than beef or pork.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    so. not that anyone has said this here- but does anyone else get confused when people say "I don't eat meat" just fish... or eggs- or chicken.

like- what do you think that is... I don't understand why people say/think meat = red meat and not other dead animal flesh. That confuses me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    so. not that anyone has said this here- but does anyone else get confused when people say "I don't eat meat" just fish... or eggs- or chicken.

like- what do you think that is... I don't understand why people say/think meat = red meat and not other dead animal flesh. That confuses me.

It's some pretty interesting mental gymnastics.

"Gelato's not vegan?!"
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Modern humans eat too much of a lot of things so suggesting the cut back on some things is fine with me. As long as its based on actual nutrition and maybe even environmental concerns. If its based on a political agenda then I would have a problem with the recommendations.

I think the RDA for protein is pretty low though. If they are telling us to get even less then they really need to update that.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yeah, this is really weird. I find myself writing posts where I mention meat and feel compelled to explain that I am also including fish, of course. And the "I don't eat meat, just chicken" thing is even more mind boggling. I'm hoping to find someone who will argue that meat includes chicken thighs (dark meat, you know), but not the breasts.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    This reminds me of the "let's talk steak" thread dbmata....I am still dreaming about that rib eye... mine came out really good... how did that huge rib eye you were showing everyone come out?? I bet it was tasty. I love meat... I eat a lot of chicken, fish but just crave a nice buffalo steak or rib eye... :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    LCloops wrote: »
    This reminds me of the "let's talk steak" thread dbmata....I am still dreaming about that rib eye... mine came out really good... how did that huge rib eye you were showing everyone come out?? I bet it was tasty. I love meat... I eat a lot of chicken, fish but just crave a nice buffalo steak or rib eye... :)

I came out well. Er, med rare, so I was pissed. I miscalculated some of the time, but the rest of the menu was good. Sent some folks home very happy.

I'm trying it again this weeend, to get the roast temp right. I'm thinking of getting a wireless thermometer too in order to make it work better time wise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, this is really weird. I find myself writing posts where I mention meat and feel compelled to explain that I am also including fish, of course. And the "I don't eat meat, just chicken" thing is even more mind boggling. I'm hoping to find someone who will argue that meat includes chicken thighs (dark meat, you know), but not the breasts.

the guy who owns the restaurant where I work said something about not eating meat- and he eats fish all time- chicken too even I think- and then he clarified I think it was only red meat- or maybe just he was an out and out pescetarian- love him- hysterical- but seriously- I was like super baffled- I'm sure I had the most offensive look on my face when he said it and I asked because he took me TOTALLY off guard!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)

Animals eat other animals. Usually dead ones.

The diet of a truly free-ranged chicken is....stomach-turning.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Enjoy eating meat while we can people. The way we're destroying this planet we'll be eating Soilent Green in the not to distant future. lol
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

Hopefully your makeup does not contain the usual snail secretions, bird poop, foreskin, sheep grease, shark liver oil, etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Enjoy eating meat while we can people. The way we're destroying this planet we'll be eating Soilent Green in the not to distant future. lol

I was just reading a paper that claims we're at "Peak Farmland" right now. Meaning that going forward we're going to need *less* farmland, not more. Primarily because population growth has fallen off a cliff.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)

Animals eat other animals. Usually dead ones.

The diet of a truly free-ranged chicken is....stomach-turning.

Much like hogs, chickens will eat almost anything.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

Hopefully your makeup does not contain the usual snail secretions, bird poop, foreskin, sheep grease, shark liver oil, etc.

Most vegans are completely informed about what is in makeup and hair products they choose to use.
  • aplcr0331
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

"Soylent Green is People!". People are meat, so...looks like we'll be good after all, yippee!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I wonder what the RDA recommendations would be WITHOUT the political lobbyists pouring millions and millions into what is actually going to be on these recommendations. As what is published goes out to the entire country and greatly affects what the entire country is "supposed" to eat.
  • aplcr0331
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

Most vegans are completely informed about what is in makeup and hair products they choose to use.

Thanks, I figured as much.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    LCloops wrote: »

I came out well. Er, med rare, so I was pissed. I miscalculated some of the time, but the rest of the menu was good. Sent some folks home very happy.

I'm trying it again this weeend, to get the roast temp right. I'm thinking of getting a wireless thermometer too in order to make it work better time wise.

I love Med Rare! If I dont see blood then I won't eat it.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I love meat.

And ethnically, the seafood and poultry industry really aren't at all good enough to justify it. ( unless you catch / raise yourself). There's also people that don't view fish as animals for some silly reason.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Mmmm steak.