Tell me again what's wrong with meat?

Options

Replies

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    spunmommy wrote: »
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob

Natural venison and game meats are even better nutritionally. No cholesterol, no hormones, no antibiotics, no steroids, and 100% naturally fed. No finishing required.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

For some, they're in denial of what they are. So the fact that something dies in order to have meat, it makes their sparkles a little less sparkly.

I don't have sparkles, but this is absolutely true for me. I can't eat anything containing bones, because it makes me face the reality that I'm eating an animal, and I can't stomach that. I lie to myself all the time. I know I'm in denial, and for this moment I'm okay with it. That probably makes me a terrible person - or a hypocrite at the very least.

I'm guessing one day I won't be okay with it, and I'll stop eating meat.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    For health, in moderation? Probably nothing. I'm still not going to eat it though.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I attended SCW in Philly (fitness convention) for my CECs last year and sat through a lecture with Bruce Mylrea called "Real Food for Thought" who talked for an hour on how meat will cause cancer. I don't know how much I took away with me on that one but it was still rather intriguing the theory.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)
    Ever see a pig eat a raccoon?
    Ever see a deer eat a squirrel?
    Ever see a cow eat a mouse?

I have.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    For health, in moderation? Probably nothing. I'm still not going to eat it though.
    Me either. Official vegetarian reason "because I like other foods better".
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    (remember mad cow disease?)

The media driven overblown "scare"? Yep. Lived in Washington State during that time (we were ground Zero in 2003) and I also remember all the people that died from it. No I don't, cause it was 0.

I like steak.

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nothing..it is freaking delicious contains fat and proteins and goes great with a glass of red wine….

over indulging in anything leads to problems….

^^^ This
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In the context of the article, it's all about the serving size. For most meats, a serving size is about 4 oz (113.4 g). But, if you check out the average individual steak sold in a store, you're looking at 6-8 oz (170-226.8 g) or more. Think about what's available for steak cuts at your favorite restaurant-8, 14, 16 oz or more, right? In the US, and I suspect elsewhere, where meat is abundant, proportions are far too large, and meat is also dense in calories, and often in cholesterol. So, that few oz. more actually costs you a lot.

For example, a 4 oz. of sirloin steak, broiled, lean only, no added juice, fat, or spices, is about 134 calories, 14% of your daily cholesterol, and 22.4 g of protein (nearly 1/2 your daily need if you're a woman (46 average sedentary), a little over 1/3 if you're male (56). At 8 oz, the standard restaurant size, you have 268 calories, 28% of your cholesterol, and 44.7 g of protein. So, for a woman, basically their whole daily allotment for protein, but in reality, she's not going to eat just that 8 oz steak. Add it to the rest of the meal and the calories add up fast.

And many people eat chicken because they've been told it's better because it's not red, but when you abuse the portions, it's just as big a punch. 3.5 oz. of chicken is 219 calories, 26% of your cholesterol, and 25g of protein-more protein, 26% of your cholesterol. 3.5 oz is about 1 cup chopped or diced. Once again, think about the average breast sold in stores, and you can see where Americans are getting some extra calories real easy.

I love my meat. My dad even raises our own chickens. But, I measure it, and plan around it accordingly.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take in the consideration of where your meat is sourced as well. Pastured beef (aka grass fed and finished) is way better for your health, the environment and the animal itself. If you are concerned about total consumption, grass fed beef has more nutritional value hands down, than nearly every other protein source. Beef from CAFOs is garbage.

<
    is a wretched food snob

Natural venison and game meats are even better nutritionally. No cholesterol, no hormones, no antibiotics, no steroids, and 100% naturally fed. No finishing required.

Venison and other game meat has cholesterol. And it's not all 100% naturally fed. Many deer eat from corn feeders put out as bait by hunters, or feed put out in a cow/horse pasture. Small game also eat from the corn feeders, and gardens and bird feeders.

I'm not saying wild game isn't better, I happen to believe it is. But it's not all 100% natural.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Antibiotics, Animal Feed consists of other dead animals (remember mad cow disease?)
    Ever see a pig eat a raccoon?
    Ever see a deer eat a squirrel?
    Ever see a cow eat a mouse?

I have.

You saw a deer eat a squirrel? Bugs, yeah. But, squirrels?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Other than the fact that it's the flesh of dead animals? >_>

*the stereotypical vegetarian chiming in*

Nom Nom. Flesh....
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    People will always find good and bad things about food. I only ever eat fresh & organic meat, to avoid any GM meats.
    But it's all about moderation & finding a balanced diet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »
    I attended SCW in Philly (fitness convention) for my CECs last year and sat through a lecture with Bruce Mylrea called "Real Food for Thought" who talked for an hour on how meat will cause cancer. I don't know how much I took away with me on that one but it was still rather intriguing the theory.

I'm pretty sure they say everything causes cancer at this point.

Whatever- I am still going to all you can eat meat at least once a month and I'll eat the hell out of some skirt steak.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

For some, they're in denial of what they are. So the fact that something dies in order to have meat, it makes their sparkles a little less sparkly.

I don't have sparkles, but this is absolutely true for me. I can't eat anything containing bones, because it makes me face the reality that I'm eating an animal, and I can't stomach that. I lie to myself all the time. I know I'm in denial, and for this moment I'm okay with it. That probably makes me a terrible person - or a hypocrite at the very least.

I tell myself that the cow was born shaped like a steak-it never would have survived in the wild.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options

You might want to read The Omnivore's Dilemma - fantastic book! For me, it freed me from feeling guilty about eating meat - though that might not be the reaction everyone has. Instead, I am mindful of the meat I eat, where it comes from and how it lived/died. I do my best to buy all of my animal products locally, or to barter with friends who hunt and fish.

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Oh - one other thing - buying local, humanely raised animal products means I eat less of it, but a larger variety. It costs more to raise animals with a conscience - which means my wallet makes me cut back. I'm ok with that. The history of our country has only in the last 50 years or so become so meat centric. 'A chicken in every pot' was a presidential campaign slogan not that long ago, because meat at every meal was the exception, not the rule.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    the fact that it is literally the flesh of a once living creature

that alone is enough to make it incredibly disgusting

meh- not living by the time it gets to my face so I'm good.

- technically veggies are living things too before we pick them- just on a different level.

If you were to take that idea to the fullest you couldn't even breath- there are living things everywhere on so many levels.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

<
    is a wretched food snob

Venison and other game meat has cholesterol. And it's not all 100% naturally fed. Many deer eat from corn feeders put out as bait by hunters, or feed put out in a cow/horse pasture. Small game also eat from the corn feeders, and gardens and bird feeders.

I'm not saying wild game isn't better, I happen to believe it is. But it's not all 100% natural.

BWAHAHAHA.
    Funny!