Paleo Recipes my kids will eat

Options

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lasagne with sweet potato instead of pasta, If you eat a little dairy then add some greek yogurt to the white sauce instead of cheese. Also check out the Nom Nom Paleo website.

Greek Yogurt instead of cheese???

blasphemy.gif

so swap one from of dairy for another?????

just like swapping one carb for another…???

I call this verbal paleo gymnastics…

always entertaining...

Verbal paleo gymnastics? Is that in the exercise database? This thread makes me sad for children.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Lasagne with sweet potato instead of pasta, If you eat a little dairy then add some greek yogurt to the white sauce instead of cheese. Also check out the Nom Nom Paleo website.

curious …why would you substitute sweet potato for pasta, when they are both carbs??????

and lasagna made with "sweet potato' is NOT lasagna...

With sweet potato it's now paleo, the greek yogurt part makes it sad and weird...

I don't get the point...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Greek Yogurt instead of cheese???

blasphemy.gif

so swap one from of dairy for another?????

just like swapping one carb for another…???

I call this verbal paleo gymnastics…

always entertaining...

Verbal paleo gymnastics? Is that in the exercise database? This thread makes me sad for children.

yes, the justification for eating one carb over another is always interesting to read/watch …it basically takes on a form of verbal gymnastics = epic backtracking/backpeddling
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

curious …why would you substitute sweet potato for pasta, when they are both carbs??????

With sweet potato it's now paleo, the greek yogurt part makes it sad and weird...

I don't get the point...

its paleo but not really how the real paleolithic people ate, so there is no point…

they just make it up as they go along, because no one from the paleolithic era is going to show up and say "ummm, excuse me, pardon me, but ummmm yea, we did not eat sweet potato lasagna 50,000 years ago …"
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Oh, but, in the interest of being supportive squash ravioli (with a brown butter sauce) is pretty quality. Not sure if actually paleo (Pasta? Idk. I don't get how that whole thing works) but damn tasty. Do feed your kids stuff like that.

...Was that supportive? Did I do it right
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    When fad diets go too far...........my new TV show idea
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am gonna make steak but instead of steak I am gonna use mushrooms.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    When fad diets go too far...........my new TV show idea

Oh good, you have years of material from MFP forums alone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why do the kids have to eat paleo or low carb? Because you went on a diet they have to?
    Seriously! Why are you torturing your children with it?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    man, my parents never subjected me to their fad diets…thank god…since they did the cabbage soup diet once…shudders….

AND this!!!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    we are paleo-ish in our house (we seem to digest better on a low-grain, no dairy diet) and my kids love things like meat and veggie stir-fries, salmon with veggies, meatloaf, cheeseless quiches, chili, giant salads with chicken and eggs, pot roast, etc. Basically pick a protein then add lots of fruits and/or veggies. we do lots of bento meals for lunches the same way. Oh and they like spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce. That said, my kids have always been raised on atypical foods like tofu and Indian spices and the like, so they never got into the mac'n'cheese habit. And I've found that the less we try to simulate grain-heavy foods with weird paleo substitutes and just look for other types of meals to make, the less my kids complain - they don't even realize we're eating differently.

Disclaimer: we also allow them to eat school lunches, whatever Grandma cooks at her house, pizza at birthday parties, etc and consider it a compromise for their emotional well-being.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »

I don't get the point...
    Why call it lasagna if you sub the pasta with sweet potato? It's not lasagna.

But it's trendy!
    :rolls eyes:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

That is good eatin right there!

I am actually gonna hollow out a cauliflower to use as the glass instead of an actual glass becauz toxinz.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    man, my parents never subjected me to their fad diets…thank god…since they did the cabbage soup diet once…shudders….

Bahaha, yeah my dad did the grapefruit diet once upon a time. I actually wouldn't have minded being put on that one, except I might have gotten tired of my favorite fruit. That would be no bueno.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yikes...I have celiac so I avoid gluten, but my kiddo loves his grilled cheese and pizza (fake cheese because he's allergic to casein--we've got food issues LOL). My food issues have nothing to do with him. If your children need to not eat certain things because of allergies or health issues, that's one thing, but to force a diet upon them for no reason is pretty harsh.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    we are paleo-ish in our house (we seem to digest better on a low-grain, no dairy diet) and my kids love things like meat and veggie stir-fries, salmon with veggies, meatloaf, cheeseless quiches, chili, giant salads with chicken and eggs, pot roast, etc. Basically pick a protein then add lots of fruits and/or veggies. we do lots of bento meals for lunches the same way. Oh and they like spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce. That said, my kids have always been raised on atypical foods like tofu and Indian spices and the like, so they never got into the mac'n'cheese habit. And I've found that the less we try to simulate grain-heavy foods with weird paleo substitutes and just look for other types of meals to make, the less my kids complain - they don't even realize we're eating differently.

Disclaimer: we also allow them to eat school lunches, whatever Grandma cooks at her house, pizza at birthday parties, etc and consider it a compromise for their emotional well-being.

paleo-ish = verbal gymnastics that I was referring to….

fine me the person that roamed the earth 50,000 years ago eating meatloaf, and I will write you a check for a million dollars….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

That is good eatin right there!

I am actually gonna hollow out a cauliflower to use as the glass instead of an actual glass becauz toxinz.

actually, you have use an animal skull for your glass….

do you even paleo ????
This discussion has been closed.