Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you even paleo ????

<3
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    we are paleo-ish in our house (we seem to digest better on a low-grain, no dairy diet) and my kids love things like meat and veggie stir-fries, salmon with veggies, meatloaf, cheeseless quiches, chili, giant salads with chicken and eggs, pot roast, etc. Basically pick a protein then add lots of fruits and/or veggies. we do lots of bento meals for lunches the same way. Oh and they like spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce. That said, my kids have always been raised on atypical foods like tofu and Indian spices and the like, so they never got into the mac'n'cheese habit. And I've found that the less we try to simulate grain-heavy foods with weird paleo substitutes and just look for other types of meals to make, the less my kids complain - they don't even realize we're eating differently.

Disclaimer: we also allow them to eat school lunches, whatever Grandma cooks at her house, pizza at birthday parties, etc and consider it a compromise for their emotional well-being.

Paleo - ish?

Why even label it then?
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    jesus, chill. at least give them until middle school to start worrying about diets. if someone were asking you how to get their child to go vegan you'd freak about them forcing their beliefs on their kids. how is this any different?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The Paleolithic period lasted over 2.6 million years, which is quite a long fad for the creatures and later humans that got swept up in eating Paleo. And shame on the parents that fed their kids Paleo during this era...
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    If you want to do paleo, then so be it... That's your choice. But why subject the kids to it? I'm genuinely curious.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at some of the responses. The OP didn't say she is trying to put her kids on a "diet", just that she is trying to get them to eat the meals she provides. So she's asking for meals that are kid friendly that fit her diet - diet as in foods one eats, not just attempt to lose weight.

First of all, if you don't have kids, don't even comment here. Cause you don't know what you're talking about.

If you DO, what do you feed them? Cause in our house, we feed our kids what we eat, 90% of the time. Every now and then we let the 3 year old pick his own dinner, and he picks crap. He would eat breakfast cereal and chicken nuggets for every meal if we let him. That is not a good diet for a child.

He doesn't have to eat what he's been given, but that's all there is. If he doesn't want to eat the healthy meal we have prepared, we're not going to get him something that's not healthy just so he will be happy about dinner. Sometimes, he also doesn't want to eat the NOT healthy foods - my kid will whine just as much about a cheese laden pizza as he will about a roasted broccoli. Actually I think it's easier to get him to eat the broccoli. Which makes me so happy because I don't want my kids to have the relationship with food I did. I don't want my kids growing up only liking 4 foods and eating massive amounts of calorie dense foods because they don't know what a vegetable tastes like or when they're full. We also don't want our kids thinking they can whine and cry about what they've been given and get away with it. Dinner has been served, and you will eat a reasonable amount and if you tried it and still hate it, then you can have something else that I chose. (which for our son is usually yogurt or a fruit)

I'm vegetarian, and most vegetarians I know let their kids decide if they want meat (which is the approach we have taken) - but there are parents who feel that it's their choice whether or not their kid is going to eat meat, and that's just as valid a parenting decision as deciding to prohibit them eat junk food or fast food or soda or sugar or dairy.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I'm surprised at some of the responses. The OP didn't say she is trying to put her kids on a "diet", just that she is trying to get them to eat the meals she provides. So she's asking for meals that are kid friendly that fit her diet - diet as in foods one eats, not just attempt to lose weight.

First of all, if you don't have kids, don't even comment here. Cause you don't know what you're talking about.

If you DO, what do you feed them? Cause in our house, we feed our kids what we eat, 90% of the time. Every now and then we let the 3 year old pick his own dinner, and he picks crap. He would eat breakfast cereal and chicken nuggets for every meal if we let him. That is not a good diet for a child.

He doesn't have to eat what he's been given, but that's all there is. If he doesn't want to eat the healthy meal we have prepared, we're not going to get him something that's not healthy just so he will be happy about dinner. Sometimes, he also doesn't want to eat the NOT healthy foods - my kid will whine just as much about a cheese laden pizza as he will about a roasted broccoli. Actually I think it's easier to get him to eat the broccoli. Which makes me so happy because I don't want my kids to have the relationship with food I did. I don't want my kids growing up only liking 4 foods and eating massive amounts of calorie dense foods because they don't know what a vegetable tastes like or when they're full. We also don't want our kids thinking they can whine and cry about what they've been given and get away with it. Dinner has been served, and you will eat a reasonable amount and if you tried it and still hate it, then you can have something else that I chose. (which for our son is usually yogurt or a fruit)

I'm vegetarian, and most vegetarians I know let their kids decide if they want meat (which is the approach we have taken) - but there are parents who feel that it's their choice whether or not their kid is going to eat meat, and that's just as valid a parenting decision as deciding to prohibit them eat junk food or fast food or soda or sugar or dairy.

This is why I asked OP what she feeds her kids if they don't like the paleo dishes she makes. Paleo diet is largely marketed as a weight loss diet, and it is of course, unnecessary just like any other fad diet. It's not exactly comparable to becoming a vegetarian for ethical reasons. So people are commenting on it because quite simply, why would you choose a diet that is obviously making life more difficult for you by forcing your kids to eat it with you? Just eat less food of whatever everybody would normally eat otherwise. It seems like the simplest solution here.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Quinoa isn't paleo. So you aren't really doing paleo. Just eat food you enjoy in reasonable portions and teach your kids to do the same.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm in desperate need of some delicious, kid friendly low carb/high protein paleo recipes my kids will eat. We do squash ravioli, cauliflower pizza, chicken tacos, fish and quinoa bowls, things like that, and try like most of it, but I was wondering what anyone has had success with? I get mine from the internet right now so they're always hit or miss with the kids.. Thanks!!

There's a group that probably has kid tested recipe suggestions in that regard:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

lmao "Anyone without kids, shut up."

Good luck with that.
  • jmauerhan
    Options

This is why I asked OP what she feeds her kids if they don't like the paleo dishes she makes. Paleo diet is largely marketed as a weight loss diet, and it is of course, unnecessary just like any other fad diet. It's not exactly comparable to becoming a vegetarian for ethical reasons. So people are commenting on it because quite simply, why would you choose a diet that is obviously making life more difficult for you by forcing your kids to eat it with you? Just eat less food of whatever everybody would normally eat otherwise. It seems like the simplest solution here.

The majority of people I know who do a "Paleo" diet are not doing so to lose weight, but because they think it is the "BEST" way to eat. I have always heard it touted as healthy, with weight loss as a side effect if you're overweight. The people I know who do it swear they just feel better when they don't eat dairy, and I'm sure they do. I think it's a load of crap that it's the "right" way to eat or that it's what our ancestors ate, but if someone has found a subset of food that they feel good eating, that's good for them.

I do agree that the silly rules on things like yogurt vs cheese or sweet potatoes vs potatoes is, well, a load of crap.

The simplest thing is to just stay the same.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm in desperate need of some delicious, kid friendly low carb/high protein paleo recipes my kids will eat. We do squash ravioli, cauliflower pizza, chicken tacos, fish and quinoa bowls, things like that, and try like most of it, but I was wondering what anyone has had success with? I get mine from the internet right now so they're always hit or miss with the kids.. Thanks!!

First off, I recommend joining the Paleo group, here. You'll get far more quality responses and far fewer accusations of "torture" (because heaven forbid we feed our kids meat, fruits, and vegetables, oh the horror!). You can find it here -- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

That said, my son likes things simple -- sliced peppers, grilled pork chop with minimal marination, roasted chicken with nothing else but salt, nut butter on a spoon, cheese, bacon, etc. For a time, one of his favorite meals was berries, cheese cubes, and meat cubes in a bowl. He's also notorious for cleaning out the peppers from the veggie tray at holidays, or sit down and eat an entire quart of strawberries.

Recipes in general are going to be hit or miss, I've found, regardless of source. You may also be surprised at what they like. Sometimes, he'll go for things I would think he wouldn't like, because they're too spicy. Other times, he won't touch something that we had figured he'd devour. What's even more fun is that he'll devour something for months, then suddenly want nothing to do with it. It's just a lot of trial and error, really.

Side note - if you want to get your kids to try something new, introduce it while they're hungry. They'll be more likely to at least try it than if they're starting to get full. You can also tell them that if they try it and don't like it, then they can have this other thing that they do like (for example -- try the meatloaf, if you don't like it, you can have chicken instead).
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Wow.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

The majority of people I know who do a "Paleo" diet are not doing so to lose weight, but because they think it is the "BEST" way to eat. I have always heard it touted as healthy, with weight loss as a side effect if you're overweight. The people I know who do it swear they just feel better when they don't eat dairy, and I'm sure they do. I think it's a load of crap that it's the "right" way to eat or that it's what our ancestors ate, but if someone has found a subset of food that they feel good eating, that's good for them.

I do agree that the silly rules on things like yogurt vs cheese or sweet potatoes vs potatoes is, well, a load of crap.

The simplest thing is to just stay the same.

You may be right about that one. I don't know many people that eat "Paleo."

If it were me, I'd probably just grill meats every day with a side of vegetables, instead of trying to convert everything I love into a "Paleo-friendly" substitute.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Lolz.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

No. This is a public forum. You don't get to say who can post and who can't, simply because you don't like what they have to say.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

People don't know what they're talking about because they don't have kids? Nice try.
  • jmauerhan
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

No. This is a public forum. You don't get to say who can post and who can't, simply because you don't like what they have to say.

By that rule you can't tell me what I can and can't say :-P

Obviously I can't actually say someone can and can't post. But I'm responding to all the people saying the OP shouldn't try to get her kids to eat their dinner. It's okay for them to say "don't do something" but I can't say "don't post that"? Come on. Double standard much?

Is this better? "If you don't have kids (or actual experience with other people's kids on this topic), you don't even understand about getting kids to eat, so stop critiquing a mom who is trying to do her best to help her kids." This thread started with a bunch of people just saying "don't do that to your kids". So if you want to say I can't post what I want, because I said they can't post that, it's just the same thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably just grill meats every day with a side of vegetables, instead of trying to convert everything I love into a "Paleo-friendly" substitute.

this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

By that rule you can't tell me what I can and can't say :-P

Obviously I can't actually say someone can and can't post. But I'm responding to all the people saying the OP shouldn't try to get her kids to eat their dinner. It's okay for them to say "don't do something" but I can't say "don't post that"? Come on. Double standard much?

Is this better? "If you don't have kids (or actual experience with other people's kids on this topic), you don't even understand about getting kids to eat, so stop critiquing a mom who is trying to do her best to help her kids." This thread started with a bunch of people just saying "don't do that to your kids". So if you want to say I can't post what I want, because I said they can't post that, it's just the same thing.

the verbal gymnastics in this post are gold medal worthy ...

the point posters are making is that it is ridiculous to force your kids to eat Paleo just because OP thinks it is some great diet...

when my parents "dieted" they did not force me to eat whatever fad diet they were doing...
This discussion has been closed.