Paleo Recipes my kids will eat

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

lol please..

you can do that without whichever variant of "paleo" you are on ...

Quick questions - what is unhealthy about a paleo diet for kids?

probably over a million food combinations to choose from. Doesn't eliminate any foods which are essential to a healthy diet!

never said that.

I said you can accomplish the same without doing paleo.

and certain variants of paleo do restrict foods, unless you are now saying that they do not?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    mrmagee3 wrote: »
    mrmagee3 wrote: »
    Are you just arguing that you don't like the name? If you were to remove the word "paleo" from the diet along with the ancient-man philosophy, it's a pretty flexible dietary style that allows the gamut of low carb to high carb, vegetarian, etc. It ends up just focusing on whole foods and limiting starches and grains.

Doesn't seem too far out there for me if it was called something else.

Two reasons it is ridiculous;

1. It has absolutely nothing to do with how paleolithic people ate.

So, the answer is "yes, it's the name that bothers me"?
    2. Everybody has their own version of it. person X cant eat bread, but they can eat sweet potatoes; however, person A can't eat dairy, but person B eats greek yogurt...so basically if Jupiter and Mars are aligned eat X way, but if earth and the sun are in equinox then eat Y way ...

So what?

because it is a Joke.

if it is not based on how Paleolithich people ate why call it that? Oh, I know because it is a catch phrase that will sell books and make people money.

The "so what" is that people actually think they are somehow going to be healthier by eating how paleo people ate, so that is the so what...

You seem to be an expert - what exactly did they eat?

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    You are all major haters. I want my kids to have a love of vegetables and natural things. That's why. It's not a "diet" it's a lifestyle change.

lol please..

probably over a million food combinations to choose from. Doesn't eliminate any foods which are essential to a healthy diet!

never said that.

and certain variants of paleo do restrict foods, unless you are now saying that they do not?

Yep - I am saying that.

I do not know of any variant of paleo that restrict any food group that is essential to a healthy diet - please let me know which ones do!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    how about this for a compromise...leave in the pasta and switch the ground beef in the sauce for ground deer meat...I have some if you need it...now that's paleo...nom nom.

so paleolithic people ate pasta?? really??

I have no idea...I have to assume not...but the ground deer meat sure fits the paleo thing...and that's what I meant by "now that's paleo"

paleo people ground up dear meat....hmmm interesting..

I believe they ate it raw after tracking said deer down..

given that early paleolithic people probably did not have advanced hunting tools, they probably found already dead deer and ate that...I doubt there was any grinding up of deer meat involved..
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Or do you decide for them?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

Well thank you for your valuable insights and comments on this thread then!

Not having kids of my own doesn't make it inherently invalid.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

• ndj1979
    Options

lol please..

never said that.

Yep - I am saying that.

I do not know of any variant of paleo that restrict any food group that is essential to a healthy diet - please let me know which ones do!

this is from dragonwolfs post a few pages back:

"Cordain Paleo -- those who follow Cordain's guidelines. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables. No dairy, legumes, or grains at all. Macros don't matter too much here for most people, though Cordain's stance on saturated fats falls more on the USDA/AHA side of the fence. Consider these the standard vegans."

^ so apparently that strain of paleo eliminates dairy, legumes, and grains..

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

We're not haters. Just trying to make the point that you can do that without restricting certain foods or food groups.

I think someone should be notifying social services on the OP. I think it's negligent of the OP to be feeding their kids healthy food - I mean these are kids they have a right to choose their own diet.

Who the hell does the OP think they are deciding what food their kids should be eating? What next, they're gonna decide what clothes they can wear. pfft

I was seriously considering getting my son to eat his veg the other day, but in the end couldn't face the shame of feeding him food that has micro nutrients, so I gave him a kinder egg instead - win!

Yet again, another strawman argument... Taking things to extremes to make a point. Not once did any one of us say that she shouldn't feed her kids food with micronutrional value.

Not but most of you are saying she shouldn't have freedom to feed her kids what she wants (based on the fact the food is healthy). I take it your kids choose their own menu each day?

Any time I've ever baby sat a relative's kid/kids, I'd let them have boxed mac n cheese or chicken nuggets if they wanted it... But that's not to say I didn't give them some broccoli or some other vegetable to go with it.

So you don't have kids or any real experience of bringing kids up on a healthy diet.

It kinda does based on your 'apparent' lack of knowledge of feeding kids healthy diets, as well as your lack of experience.

Not quite.
    So, you don't have any opinions on subjects you have no experience in?
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    just tagging so i can giggle later.

oh and is the whole "if you don't have kids, don't respond" thing on the bingo cards? if not, it should be. this isn't the first thread that dopey statement has been made in.

I've found in my experience of 14 years of raising kids and having lived in SoCal, Washington State, Oregon, Mississippi and Maryland that the VAST majority of parents of children are complete and utter fucktards. Not good at parenting really at all. Just having a kid does not make you smart about raising kids. Actually that kind of thinking is embarrassing.

Before you splodey head on me, I'm not a great parent. But what I am is pragmatic and realistic. I try and learn about being the best parent I can be, I never fall for fad parenting *kitten* (even if...actually no especially if I agree with it), and it continues to be the most stressful thing that I deal with on a daily basis. It's hard. And parenting gets a bad rep from people who "think" that because they popped out some womb turd it makes them "smart" about it.

[/rant]
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »

oh and is the whole "if you don't have kids, don't respond" thing on the bingo cards? if not, it should be. this isn't the first thread that dopey statement has been made in.

I've found in my experience of 14 years of raising kids and having lived in SoCal, Washington State, Oregon, Mississippi and Maryland that the VAST majority of parents of children are complete and utter fucktards. Not good at what parenting at all. Just having a kid does not make you smart about raising kids. Actually that kind of thinking is embarrassing.

Before you splodey head on me, I'm not a great parent. But what I am is pragmatic and realistic. I try and learn about being the best parent I can be, I never fall for fad parenting tshit (even if...no especially if I agree with it), and it continues to be the most stressful thing that I deal with on a daily basis. It's hard. And parenting gets a bad rep from people who think they're good at it or, even worse, think that because they popped out some womb turd it makes them "smart" about it.

[/rant]

can I clap for this?

because someone should be clapping for this.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    how about this for a compromise...leave in the pasta and switch the ground beef in the sauce for ground deer meat...I have some if you need it...now that's paleo...nom nom.

I have no idea...I have to assume not...but the ground deer meat sure fits the paleo thing...and that's what I meant by "now that's paleo"

given that early paleolithic people probably did not have advanced hunting tools, they probably found already dead deer and ate that...I doubt there was any grinding up of deer meat involved..

Oh they ate so much more than that, they ate the whole deer, all the internal organs, bone marrow, eyes - they probably found the meat the least appealing bit.

But not all paleolithic people ate deer. or are you suggesting that they had deer on all continents. What about the paleolithic people that lived near the equator - I'm sure their diet was vastly different to the people living in northern Europe.

Fact of the matter is paleolithic people ate pretty much just about anything that walked, crawled, swam or flew, plus pretty much anything that grew.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

lol please..

never said that.

Yep - I am saying that.

this is from dragonwolfs post a few pages back:

"Cordain Paleo -- those who follow Cordain's guidelines. Lean meats, fruits, vegetables. No dairy, legumes, or grains at all. Macros don't matter too much here for most people, though Cordain's stance on saturated fats falls more on the USDA/AHA side of the fence. Consider these the standard vegans."

^ so apparently that strain of paleo eliminates dairy, legumes, and grains..

I love that you said "strain," like it's a disease or something.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Oh they ate so much more than that, they ate the whole deer, all the internal organs, bone marrow, eyes - they probably found the meat the least appealing bit.

But not all paleolithic people ate deer. or are you suggesting that they had deer on all continents. What about the paleolithic people that lived near the equator - I'm sure their diet was vastly different to the people living in northern Europe.

Fact of the matter is paleolithic people ate pretty much just about anything that walked, crawled, swam or flew, plus pretty much anything that grew.

so they ate pretty much anything they could catch or collect that didnt' make them instantly sick.

right- so why is paleo one of the most restrictive diets we people have ever come up with at this point?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Not quite.

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I've found in my experience of 14 years of raising kids and having lived in SoCal, Washington State, Oregon, Mississippi and Maryland that the VAST majority of parents of children are complete and utter fucktards. Not good at parenting really at all. Just having a kid does not make you smart about raising kids. Actually that kind of thinking is embarrassing.

Before you splodey head on me, I'm not a great parent. But what I am is pragmatic and realistic. I try and learn about being the best parent I can be, I never fall for fad parenting *kitten* (even if...actually no especially if I agree with it), and it continues to be the most stressful thing that I deal with on a daily basis. It's hard. And parenting gets a bad rep from people who "think" that because they popped out some womb turd it makes them "smart" about it.

[/rant]

Here you go Jo.

giphy.gif
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Not quite.

Yeah I have opinions - I just don't go onto those thread and vocalize them (but hey, that's just me).

Kinda like you're *not* doing now?
  • buhbyefatso
    Options
    Did all the closed minds of the world fall on this forum today?
    I was asking for recipes, NOT opinions.
    You don't think kids should eat a paleo-styled diet, don't feed YOUR kids a paleo diet. MY children, being as they are mine, however, are still young, impressionable minds and bodies. What do I wish to impress upon them? That a relationship with food can be delicious, hearty, nutritious, and exciting, while also being natural. So effing what if I make their soups with bone broth instead of a box with unnecessary sugars and preservatives? So what if instead of pasta my kids eat squash and zuchinni noodles? How in the world is that making my children suffer? Do you know what ALL of those things are? DELICIOUS. And healthy. And because my children see my healthy relationship with healthy portions of healthy food, they will grow and have a mirror of that. As will their children..
    Do with your kids what you will:)
    Now go away.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Not quite.

LOL now that is ironic...
  • JoRocka
    Options

[/rant]

Here you go Jo.

giphy.gif

yeah- like that- just.like.that.

<hugs!>
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

[/rant]

You are right parenting is hard and the ones that try and do things that they feel are in the best interest for their kids - as opposed to just do things because they are easy - should be applauded.

• JoRocka
    Options
    Did all the closed minds of the world fall on this forum today?
    I was asking for recipes, NOT opinions.

you must be new to the internet.
This discussion has been closed.