Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.
    You're being baited into an Internet fight. Just a heads up.

True, we should just let his misinformation go unnoticed. :insertsarcasm:

What misinformation would that be? That trans fats are unhealthy? Go tell that to a room full of cardiologists and see what happens.

And again... In small doses, no one food is bad for you. If you gorge on stuff that's loaded with trans fat, then yeah... But you HAVE to take into account dosage.

Again, this is the misinformation. It is not good for you, in any amount. Sorry, I have to break this to some of you, apparently.

Again, there are plenty of people here who are in perfect health with perfect blood work who defy what you just said.

I have perfect blood work, and had perfect blood work the entire time I was obese. So what? It doesn't change the fact that trans fats are unhealthy and contribute to coronary artery disease.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/art-20046114
    I've done all I can do at this point to dispel that misinformation. Time for my work out!
    Cheers!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.

What misinformation would that be? That trans fats are unhealthy? Go tell that to a room full of cardiologists and see what happens.

And again... In small doses, no one food is bad for you. If you gorge on stuff that's loaded with trans fat, then yeah... But you HAVE to take into account dosage.

Again, this is the misinformation. It is not good for you, in any amount. Sorry, I have to break this to some of you, apparently.

Plus, no one here is saying that you can eat as much of it as you want and not worry about it. EVERYTHING food related needs to be taken in context with dosage.
    Why can't you eat as much as you want? Would that be bad?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Again, there are plenty of people here who are in perfect health with perfect blood work who defy what you just said.

There are also plenty of 90 year old men in perfect health who have been smoking for 70 years. Does this make cigarettes good for you now?

Flawed logic...

...like comparing cigarettes to food.
  • fatcity66
    Options

There are also plenty of 90 year old men in perfect health who have been smoking for 70 years. Does this make cigarettes good for you now?

Flawed logic...

LOL Apparently so!
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

Comparing cigarettes to trans fats, yes. Both terribly unhealthy for you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

Tobacco is a plant. There is no reason not to make the comparison.
  • fatcity66
    edited January 2015
    Options
    These are the times I love the forums here. They are so entertaining. LOL NO. Must....work...out! LOL
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

Eh. A cigarette now and again isn't going to give you lung cancer. Just like occasional trans fats won't give you heart disease. Again, and again, and again...it's all about content and dosage.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    In complete agreement. Any successful long term plan will include everything in moderation. Radical diet plans are not sustainable long term, but it makes for great marketing and tremendous profit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I don't consider it "depriving" myself nor do I lack self control. That fact is that when I eat healthy I feel great and when I don't eat healthy, even in moderation, I feel terrible.

Except that saying "I don't go out to eat" is not at all saying "I choose not to eat in an unhealthy manner," since of course going out to eat does not require you to eat in an unhealthy manner.

That said, lots of people don't care about going out to eat, and I hope those who choose not to fall in that category. I enjoy it, so I continue to do so regularly, while still eating a healthy diet.

Same point re "eating chocolate" and so on.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Flawed logic...

Eh. A cigarette now and again isn't going to give you lung cancer. Just like occasional trans fats won't give you heart disease. Again, and again, and again...it's all about content and dosage.

Nail on the head.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

Meaning both are unhealthy for you.. such a simple concept.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

If you SMOKE your salad, it will probably be bad for you too
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

There ya go ^^

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    There is a difference for people who choose not to eat certain foods and people who think they can't eat certain foods.

I get that for some people, they just feel better when they don't eat XYZ or they just can't seem to control themselves around it. I understand that's how they feel and it's not affecting me so whatever. Personally, I'd rather learn how to control it than just not eat it ever again.

But the people who think they can't are a different story. They've probably been "brainwashed" by the media that its unhealthy and full of chemicals that will kill you. But I think there's also a psychological underpinning to it:

It's easier to blame the food for you being fat, than to take responsibility for it yourself. If the food is what is making you unhealthy, then it's not your fault. That's an attractive prospect for many who are in denial about how bad their eating habits are and that they chose to eat that poorly. Maybe it's how you were raised, but once you became an adult, you chose to continue eating badly.

Personal responsibility can be a scary thing.

Me on the other hand, I find personal responsibility to be liberating. I tried to cut dessert out of my life for a long time because I felt guilty when I ate it. Now that I track my calories and macros, I know that when I eat dessert, it's ok. It fits into my daily goals and my healthy diet. No more reason to feel guilty.
    Are you seriously suggesting those who don't eat like you do must have been brainwashed and are less responsible?

Not what I said. Nice try. I actually said that people who chose not to eat something don't affect me, so I don't care.

But I know that you are someone who likes to twist what people say and argue to death about it. So I'm not going to engage you again after this post.
  • fatcity66
    edited January 2015
    Options

Flawed logic...

Well, that also depends on the person. If you have asthma, or cystic fibrosis, or sarcoidosis, or are genetically predisposed to higher rates of cancer, then an occasional cigarette could still be very bad for you. As could occasional trans fat, if you are genetically predisposed to coronary artery disease. Unfortunately, most people don't know what they are predisposed to, so it's a crap shoot.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Plus, no one here is saying that you can eat as much of it as you want and not worry about it. EVERYTHING food related needs to be taken in context with dosage.
    Why can't you eat as much as you want? Would that be bad?

if you over eat to the point of obesity, then yes, I believe it would.

again, context and dosage....not individual food choice.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    In complete agreement. Any successful long term plan will include everything in moderation. Radical diet plans are not sustainable long term, but it makes for great marketing and tremendous profit.

You go from moderation to radical diet plans. It isn't one or the other. Just because someone eliminates an item from their diet (in the sense of food we eat), doesn't mean that they're doing a radical diet. It also doesn't have to mean permanently eliminate either.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Flawed logic...

Well, that also depends on the person. If you have asthma, or cystic fibrosis, or sarcoidosis, or are genetically predisposed to higher rates of cancer, then an occasional cigarette could still be very bad for you. As could occasional trans fat, if you are genetically predisposed to coronary artery disease. Unfortunately, most people don't know what they are predisposed to, so it's a crap shoot.

Yeah, okay. I'll fix it:

Eh. A cigarette now and again isn't going to give you lung cancer. Just like occasional trans fats won't give you heart disease. Again, and again, and again...it's all about content and dosage, barring any medical conditions.