So here's a gym 'etiquette' question

Options

Replies

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Option 1 seems to be the action of a somewhat 'normal' guy.
    Option 2 seems to be the action of someone who's a little off.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options

When is it acceptable or normal to take a picture of unsuspecting individuals? they're both creepy, but IMO, at least OP was asked in the second option.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Normal. You know any guys who ninja there way to take pictures of women's butts? That is not a "normal" guy.
  • llUndecidedll
    Options
    530roman wrote: »

When is it acceptable or normal to take a picture of unsuspecting individuals? they're both creepy, but IMO, at least OP was asked in the second option.

I just feel like it's normal to have perversions, whether we act on them or not is something different... But I can picture a young knucklehead trying to take pictures of women in a gym to later show to his knucklehead friends. Not saying it's acceptable behavior, but I think it is somewhat normal?

But... yeah, not acceptable.

• ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    2. Both are equally okay
    The university gym I go to forbids cameras, so neither would be ok there.

Same with mine. In fact, none of the gyms I've ever been to allow cameras or recording devices of any kind. Technically speaking, we shouldn't even be bringing in iPods or phones with cameras as they're also considered "cameras", but management just assumes everyone will be responsible and not do the creep thing.

That being said, I don't think either option is "good etiquette" but at least the second involves being told that you've just had your picture taken and it's going to be used. At the very least, you know about it.

I've had my picture taken not-so-sneakily, but never that I know of at the gym. It happened at a library and some kid took a photo for his photography class. I asked him to hand over the camera, he did, I deleted the photo and instructed him to ask permission first. He asked, I said no, he moved on. Did he take a sneaky photo? Maybe, I don't care at that point. I can't control that. Does it bother me? Yes, I think it's only polite to ask for permission to take a photo. At the same time, I've totally taken photos of people without asking for their permission before hand - I just don't post them online. I share them for a laugh with friends, then delete them. If I did post them online, I'd obscure the face. Just common courtesy for me, I wouldn't want to upload someone's face.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I just feel like it's normal to have perversions, whether we act on them or not is something different... But I can picture a young knucklehead trying to take pictures of women in a gym to later show to his knucklehead friends. Not saying it's acceptable behavior, but I think it is somewhat normal?

I think anyone who has seen something weird or someone doing something odd- has tried to sneak a photo. In this day and age it's totally "normal" reaction.

Hell there was a straight up Italian mafia character at the walk in clinic when I went for a cold... not.kidding.
    chains- lycra shirt unbuttoned to his nipples- earrings- greased hair- pointed shoes with silver tips... chain for his wallet- it was like a Brooklyn pirate.

It was just SO.ODD.- and laughable I wanted to share with my immediate friends. (no- I didn't get a picture- and nothing was shared)

So yeah- I think it's the more "normal" of the reactions to take a picture to share with people when you see out of the ordinary things- and I guess that's why I found what he did (option 2) to be so much more creepy.
  • llUndecidedll
    edited January 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Normal. You know any guys who ninja there way to take pictures of women's butts? That is not a "normal" guy.

Lol. Alright, alright.

Should I say that Option 1's offender is slightly less creepy than Option 2's offender? Because a 'normal' person really wouldn't make their socially unacceptable behaviors known.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I think anyone who has seen something weird or someone doing something odd- has tried to sneak a photo. In this day and age it's totally "normal" reaction.

Hell there was a straight up Italian mafia character at the walk in clinic when I went for a cold... not.kidding.
    chains- lycra shirt unbuttoned to his nipples- earrings- greased hair- pointed shoes with silver tips... chain for his wallet- it was like a Brooklyn pirate.

It was just SO.ODD.- and laughable I wanted to share with my immediate friends. (no- I didn't get a picture- and nothing was shared)

So yeah- I think it's the more "normal" of the reactions to take a picture to share with people when you see out of the ordinary things- and I guess that's why I found what he did (option 2) to be so much more creepy.

Until someone says hey you are on blank page squatting in your neon color shorts. Also I am a live in the moment type so I rarely take photos of anything anyways.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just because something isn't illegal does not mean it's acceptable. It only recently became illegal to take pics up someone's dress/skirt ("upskirting") - which is SO clearly a personal violation - and even this remains unaddressed by criminal law in most jurisdictions.

But since the question is about etiquette and not legality, both approaches are Ew and creepy and should be addressed by gym management. It's about general respect and feeling comfortable and safe while working out - aspects that any gym worth it's salt should care deeply about.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    Just because something isn't illegal does not mean it's acceptable. It only recently became illegal to take pics up someone's dress/skirt ("upskirting") - which is SO clearly a personal violation - and even this remains unaddressed by criminal law in most jurisdictions.

But since the question is about etiquette and not legality, both approaches are Ew and creepy and should be addressed by gym management. It's about general respect and feeling comfortable and safe while working out - aspects that any gym worth it's salt should care deeply about.

we could take it to the legality of it- I don't care. I hadn't even really considered that honestly- I was more annoyed he messed up my second squat session because I was fussing trying to figure out if he was taking pictures and what I was going to do if he WAS indeed doing so.
  • yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options

Lol. Alright, alright.

Should I say that Option 1's offender is slightly less creepy than Option 2's offender? Because a 'normal' person really wouldn't make their socially unacceptable behaviors known.

I just want to know why you find this behavior "normal"?

SHould I be taking photos of women who squat since that is so rare at my gym? Even better deadlifting. I have seeing only 2 women deadlift at my gym in the past year.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Lol. Alright, alright.

"socially more acceptable"

as Dav pointed out- there are hundreds of videos/gifs/images of people at the gym doing things and we all laugh at them the same. The "this guy skips leg day" meme's- pretty sure it's the same concept- and I'm pretty sure most of those were "ninja" pictures.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Lol. Alright, alright.

as Dav pointed out- there are hundreds of videos/gifs/images of people at the gym doing things and we all laugh at them the same. The "this guy skips leg day" meme's- pretty sure it's the same concept- and I'm pretty sure most of those were "ninja" pictures.

Ok scratch whatever his reason was. Why do you think he wanted to photo you while you squat?

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Lol. Alright, alright.

Does intent make a difference? The picture of you squatting seems to be semi-sexual, especially since he referred to your physical attributes and not the your excellent form, weight, etc, while with your Brooklyn pirate example and the "this guy skips leg day" memes, those are meant for entertainment value only.

Unless you have a tacky urban pirate fetish. Which is probably a legit thing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

STAHP being so well adjusted and reasonable!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    1. Both are equally creepy
    2. Both are equally okay
    3. I agree the guy is a dbag
    4. I agree the second one is a flirting attempt
    5. The gym is a public place and there are no privacy laws in effect
    6. No harm, no foul
    7. Ever watch a #gymfails video or share a don't skip leg day meme? Do we think those are taken and shared with knowledge and permission?

I disagree that it is okay – this is a private business, not a place where the general public can just crash, and you can be told to leave at the discretion of management. OP is paying to be there and has the right not to be harassed. Put your sister, girlfriend or wife in OP’s position – do you want some dirt bag snapping pics of her while she squats?

This creepiness is why we can’t have nice things, and why “female only” workout areas are becoming more prevalent (they recently put up a curtain in the yoga area in a gym I go to keep rubberneckers from gawking).

What I want and what's legally actionable are not one and the same. The gym floor is not the same as the gym locker room. My sister, girlfriend, wife, and Jo are all fully clothed and in a public space. The camera takes an image of something they did in public and were fully okay with all eyes around them viewing. You ever go on vacation and take photos? Did you get signed permission from all the people in the background of the images you posted on your Facebook page? If those random people knew they in your Facebook Facebook photos, do you think they would be happy about that? Do you care?

Tl;dr: it's not cool, but no one is dead.

*waits patiently for excitable claims that every person whose image is posted on the Internet is marked for death by a serial killer*

I didn’t say anyone did anything illegal. But if illegality is the only standard for judging behavior, society is in big trouble.

The gym is not a public place, it is a private business. If you doubt this, try to walk in and start exercising without paying. There is a distinction between expectations of privacy on a public beach / park / street and privacy in privately owned areas – behavior can be restricted on private property (like gyms, restaurants, malls, etc.). People don’t have an expectation of having other gym members take pictures of them while working out – the creeps that do it should knock it off or be reported to management.

So you're totally okay if a strange guy takes a picture of the booty of your sister/girlfriend/wife while they are on a public Beach and posts it to instagram?

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, that seems to be what you are advocating- if it isn't against the law, then anything goes. I totally reject that

except that's how this country was build to work.

If it's not written as a law- then technically it's legal. That's the basis of our constitution.
    Or listen to music. Or take your own IG selfies. Or mfp between sets. Or log workouts in an app.

A no photo policy is cool, but a no phone policy would be much too restrictive, imo
    agreed.
    And while I don't use my phone for music- I do use it regularly between sets and I would NEVER do cardio if I didn't have it- netflix for the win... so I just can't get on board with a "no phone" police at all.

also- just to be clear. I love my gym.
    I love working out at my gym. And under no circumstances am I changing gyms.

An next time I see him- I'm grabbing one of my buddies and saying- if you see him taking pictures of me behind my back to call his punk *kitten* out - because dude. not.cool.

Next time you see him take a clear picture of him, get it printed on 11 by 7 paper with the caption "Takes Photos Of Women's Butts at The Gym" and then tape it to the walls when gym staff isn't looking.

Fair is fair.

its' certainly on the table as an option...- our gym is big on meme's and putting up ridiculous signs- perks to going to a small gym. LOL

Please do this. Please.

If It happens- I'll be sure to update. I only am there 3 times a week- and I don't see said guy regularly- so- it might be a while.
    the most important information needed here is the name of the IG page.
    beautiful girls something- I have no idea- I honestly don't even know the guys name so i couldn't tell you what his handle is.

I'm not on instagram (he's told me I should be though- I'd get quiet a following) but instagram popularity doesn't really do much for me.

The way you workout Jo, you would more likely get a lot of followers. With that comes the "ugh your going to get bulky" crowd though.

over a decade of lifting under my worn belt and I'm still waiting for the day I get bulky. seriously- come on- I want shoulders already.

What? I've always heard that if a woman even looks at a dumbell that isn't pink she would grow huge arms and beard! You mean I've been lied to? :p
  • JoRocka
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Lol. Alright, alright.

Does intent make a difference? The picture of you squatting seems to be semi-sexual, especially since he referred to your physical attributes and not the your excellent form, weight, etc, while with your Brooklyn pirate example and the "this guy skips leg day" memes, those are meant for entertainment value only.

Unless you have a tacky urban pirate fetish. Which is probably a legit thing.
    LMAO- tacky urban pirate fetish- I'm sure it is- I'll check fetlife and get back to you on that one.

But to the question at hand... I think it does- at least to me. I am proud of the hard work I do. And if he had a legitimate site about people who lift (but lets be real- in this case it's probably only all girls and he's probably too homophobic to have men lifting)...

anyway- if it was a legit site about hard working gym peoples- I'd probably be more than happy to share a photo of me working... but not a straight *kitten* shot while squatting to depth. IF he wanted to do a side shot- sure. - or a video from an angle- but based on previous conversations- this conversation- where he was sitting/watching- and what he showed me- it all said *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* is what I'm about.

Which you know what- in your own time. But don't objectify me for it. And the people who do joke about my objectication (which I'm all about) also respect my work at the gym and the fact I come in day after day and bust my *kitten*. There is unquestionably a level of respect for the work we do. I'm not just an *kitten*.. .and I think that's the difference- he doesn't seem to actual respect any of the work I do- and we never talk lifts- or programs or form- he only ever wants to go- yeah- it's working for you. And I don't have time for people like that.
    What? I've always heard that if a woman even looks at a dumbell that isn't pink she would grow huge arms and beard! You mean I've been lied to?

Oh my vagina fell out years ago after I out grew the pink weights- I care it around like a colostomy bag.
  • JoRocka
    Options

STAHP being so well adjusted and reasonable!

I can't help myself- i just get so crazy and reasonable about my media usage and sharing. whatever was I thinking!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Both are creepy, but I think B is ever so slightly better because at least he's being honest.

And I have a feeling this is why photos are banned in my gym. I still haven't figured out if I'm allowed to film myself for form checks or not.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Agreed. Both are creepy, but I think B is ever so slightly better because at least he's being honest.

And I have a feeling this is why photos are banned in my gym. I still haven't figured out if I'm allowed to film myself for form checks or not.

well what if he said. Hey so I took a photo of you to have some fun on my lonely nights. Now that is being honest.

His lousy excuses no one really believes.