Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Veryana wrote: »
    Hmm, I've been trying to lose weight for 10 years. But lately it's been so many things. I broke my ankle little bit, I stepped wrong way and twisted my ankle full weight on it. It wouldn't have broke at all if I wasn't so heavy. I keep hearing doctors say how losing weight would help with this, this, this and that problem as well! It's starting to sound like some kind of miracle solution to all problems if they keep doing that :D

Also people. There are people out there who told me I'm fat because I bought "wrong" minced meat, just because it was on sale and was cheaper than low fat ones. There was a mother who pointed at me and told her daughter that's what happens when someone eats too much and she should quit eating so much as well. Someone in bus said "If you only looked as pretty as you behave" when I gave her my seat. I'm so sick of it. Everything I am seems to be defined by this layer of fat I have. I'm automatically stupid and lazy and have no self-control in anything just because I'm obese. Really want to get rid of that. It would be better if people would actually shut up but like that's ever going to happen :D

All this and more. The whole "being defined by this layer of fat" is what truly keeps me going. I'm done with being defined with it. I've been defined by it since middle school. My main ah-ha moment was when I realized that I was actually having difficulty in a bathroom. I would get cramps in my gut from trying to clean my backside. That was it for me. I decided then and there I was going to loose this weight for good and I'm down 34 lb since then. I have a long ways to go still... but I refuse to stop. No matter what. I'm going to get rid of this fat and have a healthier happier life where I can actually wear all the cute clothes I just dream about getting, where I don't have to pay extra for clothes that look like they were made for a circus. Or stuck with clothes that are nothing but sweats and sweatshirts. :)
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    As far as I could remember I was always overweight. What made me finally decide to do something about it 4 years ago was being rejected by my crush. As silly as it sounds, after I was rejected all I wanted to do was lose as much weight as I could over the summer break and when I saw my crush again he'd be shocked and regret turning me down! (I had really bad self image and thought the reason for being rejected was because I was overweight and unlovable). Once I started losing the weight though, I realized I felt amazing and my motivation turned into wanting to do it for myself, so I could continue to feel healthy and strong.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    I kept seeing the weight increase, a few lbs here and a few there. I had a friend visit and we took pictures. Once I saw the picture of me I couldn't believe how big I had gotten. It was a huge wake up call for me. I knew if I didnt do something I would keep climbing up the weight gain scale. Decided it was time to put me first in my life. I have always taken care of everyone else....leaving me last or not even at all. Not anymore! :)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    My aha moment came when I couldn't fit clothes in the women's section any more at Macy's-they carry to a size 18, but I thought as long as I fit up here I'm good. then I had to go shop in the PLUS size in the basement...Very heartbreaking. I was 30 and I wanted to wear what girls my age were wearing. It was time to change. That was 2007. I'm 5'2" and at my top weight was about 220-225? Not sure because I stopped weighing myself when I saw 218.

In 2008 I did so many of the gimmick diets, at work weight lost challenges and joined a 6 week bootcamp. I got down to 191. Then I gained again. I started over. Got to 185 in Feb 2010 when I got married. When I went to the doctor in Dec. 2010 I was 195. In 2011 I began a new journey, A co-worker who was a fit nut said he'd help. He kept me accountable. He watched what I ate at work and told me what to do at the gym, and I did. By that summer I was 182. Although he left the job when he moved out of state he set me on the right path of eating and exercising properly, no gimmicks. Summer 2012 I was 174. Summer 2013 I was 165. October 2013 I began very ill and was hospitalized. I dropped to 157 when I got out.

I used the weight lost as a catalyst. I went hard at the gym the first three months of 2014 until a personal situation thwarted my efforts. In dealing with that personal situation I dropped to 150 by May 2014. I won't lie, I was happy to be that small. But that wasn't a healthy drop. As I worked on my situation, I got away from the gym and I got away from MFP.

Last year(2015) I started seeing the weight creep back up. I felt as long as I was 162 or under I was still ok because I was still close to the 150s. But then 163, 164, 165. the scale was going the wrong way. I took a trip with my husband, in mid- November, came back and the scale said 172. Yep. I was done.

So now I'm back. Re-focused. I know how to do this, I just need to do it. 168 as of last Thursday.

*Ok, probably more than what you were looking for, but it was therapeutic. I guess I shouldn't be too ashamed looking back from where I started. Day by day.
  • Evilla25
    Evilla25 Posts: 392 Member
    Why I started to loose weight? Well for starters I wasn't looking to loose weight I wanted a better life style bc I was diagnosed with 2 sleeping disorders. My dad gave me the Nutribullet Rx and started reading the food properties of each veggie and fruit color and discovered that purple fruits and veggies help with sleep. So that started me to eat these veggies and fruits and in a week I lost 4lbs!!! I was like that's an awesome bonus so I just decided to keep going and for my first month I lost 13lbs!!! So now I have decided to add cardio and strength training to my daily routine which I have seen great improvements on my body and overall my health! I am able to sleep better!!! So my goal now is to loose 65lbs hopefully I can do that in 6 months. Cheers to all and keep up the hard work!!!07uvt4on7cry.jpg
  • Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    A few times really -

I spent a lot of a year travelling to India on business and remember my food intake just rocketing,
    My boss in front of people said I'd put on weight.
    I had to buy a 38w pair of pants :neutral:
    I was all belly, I literally looked like a capital D.
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Wearing my old maternity pants to work because my other slacks didn't fit anymore.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    I have been battling my weight since I was 10. I was always the fat, ugly sister in comparison to my two gorgeous sisters. I was molested at 10 and thought that the weight would protect me. My turning point was seeing a photograph of myself from Thanksgiving 2006. I was 9 months pregnant and huge. I couldn't wear normal shoes and had to wear crocks. I was miserable. When I went into labor, due to my weight I had developed sleep apnea and after been given my epidural I was told that I could sleep, however, when I slept my oxygen level dropped and my daughter's heart rate would drop. We were taken to emergency C-section and almost lost my daughter. That next February, weighing in at 272, I logged onto SparkPeople.com and began to get serious. In May of 2010, I was down to 250 and drove down to OKC from Wichita, KS for The Biggest Loser casting call. Meeting Bob Harper and knowing that I couldn't even make it 5 minutes into the warmup workout was enough. I got into running and got down to 189 by September of 2013 when life took me for a long, heartbreaking journey. Now, weighing back in at 213, I am finishing what I started and getting back to me.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    No one moment for me. Got tired of looking to see how fat I looked in a shirt; want to be able to control blood pressure without meds; would like to increase overall energy levels which weight loss often brings; I spend so much time working out that to not take steps to lose weight is kind of stupid on my part.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    A couple years ago I stepped out of the shower and looked over at the mirror and thought "Wow! That looks really good!" Not my body, oh heck no! I was a train wreck. My wife just picked up a new mirror with scrolled edges and it went perfectly with the bathroom.

Even with the train wreck that was me, the decision came when I was offered the choice to go on high blood pressure medication or risk suffering a stroke because I had let myself go that much. Vowed I would only take that medication only as long as necessary. Worked hard, every day, and happy to say I haven't been on any medications for a long time now.

I'm still a train wreck, but it's not as bad as it used to be. And that mirror still looks fantastic.
  • ParadiseLost91
    ParadiseLost91 Posts: 28 Member
    I didn't have a sudden realization, it was more like something that crept more and more into my mind.
    I couldn't fit my clothes anymore. I felt uncomfortable with my body, especially around friends and family. I was attending a family-thing with some people I hadn't seen for a year and a half and I was so scared and mortified of what they might think that I almost called sand said I was too sick to go.
    I felt embarrassed in many situations because of my weight and I started avoiding things like showering at the gym (showered at home instead) because I hated my body.
    Started changing clothes out of eyesight from my boyfriend.

All those things got worse and worse, but when I realized I couldn't fit into my favorite little black dress anymore, well that was the final straw.
    So I started counting calories and that's how I ended up on MFP :) I use my FitBit Charge HR for activity tracking.
    I'm still in my 20'ies and therefore not feeling any physical problems because of my weight.

I'm here for superficial reasons: to look smokin' again, fit into my favorite dresses and wear high heels without fearing they'll break haha ;)
    Sure, I should lose weight for the health benefits, but feeling great and looking good and wearing the clothes I want to, that's a much bigger motivation for me. Whatever works, is what I say!
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Sports injuries derailed me and I found it difficult to get back going.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    My ah -ha moment was walking into the weight room after having lost 17 from my diet alone and went on to losing another 23. I went through a pretty ugly break up and life change. I was always in shape in college, then next thing I know, I've gained 50 lbs.

I'm tired of obsessing over how I look, hiding in pictures, not wearing certain things. I just want to walk out the door and not feel like I have to trick the camera etc. I ended up gaining about 20 back. I went through some pretty terrible things. Now I'm trying to get back to where I was at this time last year. It's really not that hard since I already did it once, more so just mad at myself I let myself gain some weight back.

This will be the last time I lose these pounds. I prefer to be healthy, but your brain tricks you into thinking you need to order fries instead of a veggie while out. Good luck to you all, eventually it gets easier!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    realizing that I could easily pass for 3 months pregnant got me to start going to the gym. I got super serious about my diet when I realized I now could probably pass for closer to 5 months pregnant.
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    I strongly dislike being fat!
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Michelle2W wrote: »
    I strongly dislike being fat!

LOL. Amen to that!! :smiley:
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    I went from a physical job to being a stay-at-home mom. I went from being extremely active to almost nothing. The day I saw the dreaded 300 on the scale is when I said F this. I'm getting back in shape. I had to find a way to lose the weight.
  • nch1993x
    nch1993x Posts: 17 Member
    I got sent some photos from a gig I played - didn't much like the way I looked! It's funny how I could look myself in the mirror every day and not really notice... but a few photos, and I realised something needed to change...
  • twosillycats
    twosillycats Posts: 5 Member
    I hold most of my weight in my belly. I'm a 48 year old female and weigh 198. Just restarted MFP. I have to vent or I'm going to go crazy.... I look pregnant and I'm not. Sometimes I wish I looked way older than my age so people would just realize I'm fat and not pregnant. It's so embarrassing. Here's all the things people have said to me:

(Before I had kids)....When are you due?
    Is this your second? (I said no, and she asked if its my first, so I had to say I'm not pregnant). Are you pregnant? Did you swallow a watermelon seed? Are you expecting? Are you in the family way? Congratulations! Then when I say I'm not pregnant, they said "you're not????”Saying goodbye to a friend of my dad's, she said, have a happy healthy baby. A toll booth worker said "it's going to be a long summer," and pointed to my stomach.2 students of mind asked if I was pregnant.

(After I had my son who is now 16)...a lady asked my son who was 2 at the time if he was going to be a big brother. More of "are you expecting" and "congratulations" ( while pointing to my stomach." "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"

(After I had my daughter who is 12)... "I heard you are pregnant!" " did you swallow s basketball?" A lady who almost bumped into me said, "Oh! I almost bumped into the baby!" And pointed to my stomach. I went to a health screening at work and a lady ( who happens to be overweight herself) was asking everyone if they'd like to sign up to donate blood. Instead of asking me, she said. "I know you can't donate blood because you're pregnant!" A host at a restaurant ( on my husband's and my wedding anniversary at a fancy restaurant) asked if we needed a table for 2. We said yes, and he said " two and s baby, right?" like he was being cute and funny. a guy giving out samples for ( hour energy said, " I don't think this would be good for someone that pregnant" to my husband.

There are more, but you get the idea. I have to change the way I eat, exercise and get fit to overcome all of these self-esteem killers!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    I hold most of my weight in my belly. I'm a 48 year old female and weigh 198. Just restarted MFP. I have to vent or I'm going to go crazy.... I look pregnant and I'm not. Sometimes I wish I looked way older than my age so people would just realize I'm fat and not pregnant. It's so embarrassing. Here's all the things people have said to me:

(Before I had kids)....When are you due?
    Is this your second? (I said no, and she asked if its my first, so I had to say I'm not pregnant). Are you pregnant? Did you swallow a watermelon seed? Are you expecting? Are you in the family way? Congratulations! Then when I say I'm not pregnant, they said "you're not????”Saying goodbye to a friend of my dad's, she said, have a happy healthy baby. A toll booth worker said "it's going to be a long summer," and pointed to my stomach.2 students of mind asked if I was pregnant.

(After I had my son who is now 16)...a lady asked my son who was 2 at the time if he was going to be a big brother. More of "are you expecting" and "congratulations" ( while pointing to my stomach." "Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"

(After I had my daughter who is 12)... "I heard you are pregnant!" " did you swallow s basketball?" A lady who almost bumped into me said, "Oh! I almost bumped into the baby!" And pointed to my stomach. I went to a health screening at work and a lady ( who happens to be overweight herself) was asking everyone if they'd like to sign up to donate blood. Instead of asking me, she said. "I know you can't donate blood because you're pregnant!" A host at a restaurant ( on my husband's and my wedding anniversary at a fancy restaurant) asked if we needed a table for 2. We said yes, and he said " two and s baby, right?" like he was being cute and funny. a guy giving out samples for ( hour energy said, " I don't think this would be good for someone that pregnant" to my husband.

There are more, but you get the idea. I have to change the way I eat, exercise and get fit to overcome all of these self-esteem killers!

I find it completely appalling that people make that assumption and feel confident enough in their assumption to actually say something like that. I also look like I'm pregnant and if anyone ever says anything like that to me I will probably punch them in the face. lol.