Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Plus I was TIRED of not feeling comfortable in anything I wore. I was TIRED of looking awful in every picture. I was so uncomfortable and unhappy.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Both times I've lost weight, it was a selfie I took that made my heart-shaped face look VERY round.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was walking up a flight of stairs at work and had to stop halfway up because my knee was hurting and I had to catch my breath. I was 470 lbs when I finally got the balls to weigh myself, and I was in shock. It had been about 3 years since I had gone to the doctor and had my weight taken for a physical so I had no idea how much I had gained. I decided enough was enough, researched online, found MFP and now I've lost 118 lbs. I still see that same fat guy in the mirror and pictures. No matter how much I lose I don't know if I will ever not see that in the mirror, but I'm going to try. I want to lose another 100 lbs and get to 250 before I make any long term goals for my "maintenance weight."
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Athletic performance issues, knee pain, restricted movement, getting winded too soon keeping up with the kids, of course overall looks...
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    dougl004 wrote: »
    My story is a little funny. I was sitting in my chilly office with a small jacket on. I leaned back to yawn and a button from my jacket popped off and flew accross the room. That was my AH HA moment. What was yours?

Kmsl!! That is funny
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mine was just not being able to enjoy the stuff I used without running out of breath. I love playing with my kids and nieces and nephews
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine was being given a clothing shopping spree for my birthday and leaving crying with nothing
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was unhappy with myself D:
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I was 323 lbs. and had outgrown my whole wardrobe. I did a Paleo thing and dropped roughly 50 lbs. in about a year, down into the upper 260s. I swore I would NEVER be 300 lbs. again! As of January 1, 2016, I tipped the scales at 298! Yikes!

Back to the plan...been eating Paleo since 2/6/16 and down 17 lbs. so far. I've had a few off-plan days and a few roller coaster dips, but generally trending downward. I L-O-V-E the Paleo plan because it feels easy...plenty to eat, the foods I like, and I'm pretty much of a caveman anyway...

So, yeah...the reason I started on MFP is that I am a fat *kitten* in late middle-age and if I don't do this now it will never happen and I probably wouldn't make it to 70.
  • Doit4theOMG
    Doit4theOMG Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It kept getting harder and harder to find clothes that fit me and that I liked. Was tired of not liking what I saw in the mirror. Knew it was time to make a change.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Clothes feeling uncomfortable and trying on my bikini and belly measurement t
  • Honest_Angie
    Honest_Angie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a question! A relief from seeing all those "would you kiss the person above you" posts.

At my biggest size, I was nearly 350 lbs. My mother had a heart attack and stroke a couple years ago, and I was afraid of heading in the same direction. Shortly after, my in-laws invited me to go on family vacation with them, and I was unable to participate in any of the activities because I was over the weight limit for everything they wanted to do. I think the final straw was trying to have sex with my husband, getting out of breath after five minutes on top, not being able to finish him, and then locking myself in the bathroom and crying all night.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    been battling sever chronic illness for over 20 years. pain, fatigue etc etc making me sedintary tbut that has just been compounding it. also losing weight to ease the arthritis on my joints and dont need the added fatigue from carrying extra weight. also have this crazy dream to be fit and well enough to surf a little. have been eating a healthy careful diet for a very long time to manage my illnesses but over eating because of hypoglycemia. I have it bad and have to eat constantly like a shrew which makes it hard to lose weight. I saw a nutritionist and she suggested a food diary wants me on a 1200 calorie diet. also now doing physical therapy.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Going shopping with my mother and trying on three different dress sizes. I was tired of being overweight and having to wear larger size clothes.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    And to be perfectly honest its more than that.

I guess another reason is vanity. My boyfriend is a very young looking 34 . He has a slight build and boyish look, like he is a teen, and the long term bad health and stress has taken a toll on me and I am becoming a very old looking 48. We look similar too so everywhere we go people think I am his mother :( . which is not very good for ones self esteme and makes for very nasty stares and comments from people if we are affectionate. I want to look and be healthier and the best I can for him and not have this constant awkward situations and embarassment. mabee it wont help but its worth a try.
  • jaxtraxdiet
    jaxtraxdiet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yea that would do it for me too. ;) Mine was seeing a photo of myself and then being weighed at the doctors office..Truth hurts!
  • Nebby07
    Nebby07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My current weight is officially higher than my 9 month pregnant weight. And my clothes no longer fit.
  • PaAngel7
    PaAngel7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise and looking at the pics just made me realize that I really need to do something. I knew it before I left but figured I would start working on it when I got back home. My husband also needs to lose but he has to do it on his own. Maybe if he sees me working on myself he will do the same. He's very overweight and starting to have physical problems. I don't want that to happen to me. I was chatting with a friend this morning and she told me about MFP. She and I agreed to support each other. I know it is very important to have someone to support you and be accountable to. Thanks Paula!! I would love to get back to a size 10 or lower. I know the reason I gained in because I got divorced from a person who was very critical of my looks. Didn't help that I got remarried to someone who loves food as much or more than me. :smile:
  • Simplifi
    Simplifi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Seeing myself in pictures and getting out of breath while doing small things. I was a mess.