Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    A couple of things, I went on my first big holiday and when I saw photographs of myself it made me feel awful, I had been in denial for so long about how big I was.

Also, going clothes shopping and struggling to find clothes that fit was just really degrading.

Overall, I just wanted to be healthy!
  • TypingToaster
    TypingToaster Posts: 4,110 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    5'0" and I was 330 pounds. When I was standing, it felt like my feet were being crushed and they were really puffy, I was out of breath walking just one block, my orange shirt was starting to get too tight and if I gained any more weight I would have needed to go up to a 4X.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Going to a regular store, and going to "plus" area to find pants. Designers for plus size, think all fat women are color blind, uneducated unemployed, and don't like nice clothes, or sexy clothes...I saw a bunch of junk that looked like a Wal Mart clearance sale in a ghetto. Nothing appropriate for leading a professional meeting, or traveling for a work trip. The suits available were cheap looking, and nothing fitted.

I need to lose weight to get back to shopping in sections that have decent clothes to choose.

That is SO true. Ran a garage sale this weekend for my in-laws and a lot of the clothes they put in were women's plus size (because they were too small) and every time I straightened tables, I thought that...why do designers think bigger women are blind and stupid; deserving of wearing hideous clothes.

And that is one of the reasons I'm trying to lose---I want to be able to wear cute clothes again.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have just started. There have been lots of moments when a *should* have started. When I got sent for ecg because of my heart rate, when I became to heavy to demonstrate equipment I was giving to my patients, when I couldn't get up two flights of stairs.
    In actual fact I woke up before my alarm one Sunday morning, and for the first time in over a year instead of going back to sleep, I went to the gym. I asked about a personal trainer. I hope I can keep it up.
  • iwtbtagtgtg
    iwtbtagtgtg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I quit a weight support group 6 months ago due to some health issues and group changes. I was at the upper end of my goal range then and just today I realized I have gained almost 20 pounds since quitting the group, so I'm not doing well on my own-- so I hope this online group support will help me get myself re-motivated!
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Always a small person. Then within a year depression and anxiety hit me hard. I gained 20 lbs. Went from 127 - 147, 5'4". I decided to check my BMI at work one day and was in the overweight category. I went "NOPE, time to do something for my body AND mind".
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I got tired of rearranging my fat gut trying to do some yoga.
  • eburns55555
    eburns55555 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I took a health assessment for my job's wellness program when I started this journey. After completing all the questions, it indicated that my body was the equivalent of a 57 year old person. I am 44. This was one of a few things that got me rolling, but this was pretty significant.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I was in Germany for work and wanted to wander around the city I was staying in (I can't remember the name) While my fitness was more than ample for a nice casual or even decent paced stroll, I was inflicted with the dreaded 'chub rub' and had to keep hiking my pants up to ensure there was fabric separating my thighs... Got home from that trip and I was about 95kg.. it wasn't long after that I really got in to the fitness and MFP.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I was in Germany for work and wanted to wander around the city I was staying in (I can't remember the name) While my fitness was more than ample for a nice casual or even decent paced stroll, I was inflicted with the dreaded 'chub rub' and had to keep hiking my pants up to ensure there was fabric separating my thighs... Got home from that trip and I was about 95kg.. it wasn't long after that I really got in to the fitness and MFP.

Chub rub is THE WORST! It has kept me from wearing skirts for several years!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself. And the camera doesn't lie lol. That's all it took
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself. And the camera doesn't lie lol. That's all it took

This is exact what happened to me. I did a double take and quite audibly let out a "WTF."
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I got told I looked pregnant. :(
  • aliyahn
    aliyahn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To live a healthier life. Let's just say my last Doctor appt wasn't great news :(
  • HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To live a healthier life. Only 19 days into MFP. I am not going to focus on the weight loss aspect. Just eating within my means of calories projected.
  • EmPhil95
    EmPhil95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did a 12 week challenge to do 10000 steps a day, and when they weighed me at the end I had put on 5kg even though I'd upped my activity.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I was depressed and stopped looking in the mirror and none of my clothes fit but I didn't want to buy bigger clothes (and when I did they were like 4 sizes up from my normal size). I stopped looking after myself - like not dying my hair as often as I should and just looking like a fat frumpy sad person.

Then one day I said "*kitten* it" and decided to change.