Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    During summer seat belts at a carnival for some rides don't fit... and it's embarrassing to have to walk off cause of that.

I'm also depressed cause of my weight and how much I let myself go.

So I decided it's time to loose weight
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I took a health assessment for my job's wellness program when I started this journey. After completing all the questions, it indicated that my body was the equivalent of a 57 year old person. I am 44. This was one of a few things that got me rolling, but this was pretty significant.

This is what started my weight loss journey too, although not so extreme. Recent assessment shows I've made good progress over the past year.
  • shanaramadingdong
    Options
    Bump!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    like most everyone it wasnt that i had no idea i was overweight, just didnt much care. would eat fast food after the gym etc..

then took a vacation to california to visit my niece graduating highschool and the pic we all took together was the straw.

just took it nice and slow. dropped 60 pretty quickly (4 or 5 months) and then would even out, lose even out.

im not getting even more serious than i was in an effort to lose the last 30
  • younique80s
    younique80s Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My dad gave me his horrible back problems. I had back surgery when I was 10 for scoliosis and they fused a rod into my lower spine. It was 60% curved and I was a month or 2 away from becoming a vegetable. 20 years later.. I have back pain all the time and I realized I need to take care of myself and not end up like my dad, who has had dozens of spine and neck surgeries and can barely stand or turn his head. My mom's side has Alzheimer's/Dementia, depression, anxiety, diabetes, etc.. Just want to be fit and healthy, so I can be around for my son and hopefully grandkids. :)
  • ElasticGrasshopper
    Options
    > When I was so stressed about my appearance that I started withdrawing from family events.
    > Realising I couldn't keep up with my 72yo Mother In Law.
    > Having anxiety meltdowns each day I needed to get dressed.
    > Excruciating back pain.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Love this!

1. My underwire in my bra snapped.... for reals!
    2. Ruptured Brain Aneurysm in 2014 and had brain surgery
    3. Getting ready for brain surgery #2 because apparently I can't take a hint

But here again to finish and be in control!
  • gettinfitjazzy
    gettinfitjazzy Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I always said I never want to hit 200lbs because I'm very petite.
    Welp! I weighed myself 2 weeks ago and the pounds done caught up to me I was 202lbs...
  • paola750628
    paola750628 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I went to the vet with my puppy and I stepped onto the scale and realized I weigh 170+lbs, I'm 35 lbs overweigh! So I started with MFP the same day and now I try to eat healthy, no more beer, butter or bread for this bully. I walk 12 km every day and try to run a bit. I'm going to step on that scale in two weeks and be proud
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always said I never want to hit 200lbs because I'm very petite.
    Welp! I weighed myself 2 weeks ago and the pounds done caught up to me I was 202lbs...

Hey, that's the same weight that finally got me motivated (actually 202.5).
  • jiggles6669
    jiggles6669 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started having shortness of breath and being a smoker on top of that just made it so much worse when I started putting on the pounds. So, now I'm trying to quit smoking and lose weight. Very difficult with very little lungs capacity.
  • jiggles6669
    jiggles6669 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom! I can relate to that. My mom passed away in 2012 and it was the hardest thing to accept. I still reach out to call her on the phone, then remember she's gone. I still miss her so much. And you was talking about antidepressants and they cause weight gain. I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 30 and taking them every since. Now im going through menopause and I started packing on the pounds. But I'm glad you friend me. It's good to have support and inspiration. Holler at me anytime.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When I realised I want to have babies and want to be at a healthy weight before I do
  • FourLynne62
    FourLynne62 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    dougl004 wrote: »
    My story is a little funny. I was sitting in my chilly office with a small jacket on. I leaned back to yawn and a button from my jacket popped off and flew accross the room. That was my AH HA moment. What was yours?

I don't know if it was one thing, or lots of little things. I am just hoping this time, God help me that I will see it through and get healthier.
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When my husband wanted to take me on a two week cruise and we had to go buy new clothes and all of them were 2 sizes bigger than I had been wearing. Also realized all of my clothes were made of stretch material.
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've been slowly gaining a lot of weight since my 20s (even when I was in the Army.) I've known it, I've made attempts to lose it with very little success - gained a lot more very quickly over the last year at the same time they discovered a thyroid nodule. Passed a threshold I never thought I'd ever see in my entire life. I don't fit in auditorium seats, my office chair squeaks a lot when I sit it in - I always think I'm going to break it, I had to shop for a bunch new clothes this year to include coats, etc...and last summer I acquired my grandparents' bedroom furniture. Beautiful 1940s furniture, but all mirrors - something I didn't have in my room before. All of this put together, along with my thyroid surgery and starting medication is the extra push I needed. I've been so disheartened in the past, but apparently I could live with it 30 lbs ago. Now, not so much, and now that I know it may not have been all my fault (though some of it still is - not passing off all the blame!) and it could be more attainable now that we're getting other things under control, it's really helped with my motivation as well.