Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• EuropeanBadger
    EuropeanBadger Posts: 3 Member
    Not losing, but maintaining: I spent too much on nice clothes, I need to validate that spending by staying that size for a few years now.
  • robynmrobinson1
    robynmrobinson1 Posts: 1 Member
    I don't feel healthy and I don't like the extra baggage.
  • GingerSnap1963
    GingerSnap1963 Posts: 1 Member
    I decided that it's past time to get back to watching my eating habits. I'm an emotional eater. Sad, happy, stressed, whatever- I use food the way other people use drugs and alcohol. I had lost 75 pounds at one point, got sidetracked by a knee injury, gained it all back plus a few more, went back to the plan, lost 30 pounds, had a bad bout of gout, gained that 30 pounds back plus some; now, not only do I look awful, I feel worse. The emotional pain is bad enough, but the physical pain is really getting me down.
  • caseyroderick
    caseyroderick Posts: 17 Member
    I just want to live longer and be healthier for my kids also get my mind and body ready to try for another
  • taa428
    taa428 Posts: 6 Member
    I realized I had been overweight for almost 20 years...20 years of having a problem and not dealing with it seemed so ridiculous, I knew that had to change.
  • smcintyre6492
    smcintyre6492 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Like many, I suppose, my weight has fluctuated over the years. I've been in decent shape, then let myself go. Earlier this year, I hit my highest weight ever. The real motivation this time is that I want to be as healthy and able-bodied as I can be as I get into my senior years. I'm in my mid-50s now and watching my parents and my in-laws age - the good news is they are all still with us, the bad news is that they are in varying states of health due mainly to lifestyle issues. I want to take as much control of my health as I can.

So, will I stick with it this time and make a permanent change? Time will tell, but its been six months so far and my motivation has, if anything, increased. I'm about half-way to my goal weight, feeling stronger and happier with my appearance. Two things that help: my spouse, for the first time, has joined me on this quest and we are doing a great job of reinforcing one another; and, we've found a work-out (OrangeTheory) that we both enjoy and are committed to keeping up with.

One thing I will point out for those younger than me: at this age, the weight comes off much more slowly than it did the last time I whipped myself into shape a decade ago. Don't wait: it will never be easier than it is today.

That said, I've learned a lot from my past experiences with weight loss and getting into and falling out of good physical condition, about nutrition, what works and what doesn't work for me, and what motivates me. I look back on those experiences not as failures, but as preparation for what I'm doing now.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    fat
  • abig1407
    abig1407 Posts: 1 Member
    I gained 5kg in 5 weeks after upping my antidepressants. I don’t want to have to choose between being in control of my body or being in control of my mind.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    ata1anta wrote: »
    A dump truck was the kickstart I needed. I've always been "big boned" (is that still a thing?) but eventually let excuses rule the day. The week before thanksgiving in 2016, I was in a MVA. Even though I could extricate myself from my car (I didn't move until the EMTs said I could) I felt bad for the EMTs trying to deal with my fat *kitten*. They couldn't get the neck brace around my neck, they had trouble (I knew even if they didn't say anything) moving me between gurneys for all the different tests. Turned out I had sustained a broken wrist and hip, but didn't require surgery (or was I too fat for surgery? dunno).

My BF thought it was when I FINALLY got to a room and the nurse asked if I could move myself or would she need to use the crane (I moved myself), but that wasn't it. It was the indignity of using the bathroom and not fitting on the seat with handles that was there. Nothing like pure disgust to motivate me to change myself. The following March was a cousin's wedding and pics with me looking like Jabba the Hut.

I had heard for YEARS that I needed to lose weight. But, as everyone who is successful knows, someone telling you doesn't mean nearly as much as you coming to the conclusion yourself. The week before my MVA, I had a CAT scan because I may have had a hernia. It came back showing I was a train wreck. When I finally got to see the doc about the hernia, he said he couldn't do anything about it because at my obesity level, I might not wake up.

Six months after my MVA, when I was able to walk with a cane and drive again, I joined WW and have lost 75 pounds so far. I joined MFP because I've been stalling on WW and need more data points to help me do better. I'm not quitting WW, I need the accountability the weekly meetings give.

The hernia doc is pleased with my progress - because of this, my hernia has shrunk and he's willing to wait until I'm at or close to goal to operate. My GP is THRILLED and my labs have come back better than they have in years.
    You’ve made excellent progress so far, well done! I relate with you on domany levels.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    My knees were so bad that I was in pain all the time and walking was very difficult. I knew if I didn't do something I would no longer be able to be active and do the things I wanted to do. Scary to let it get to that point. With a cortisone shot and the loss of 28 pounds I'm already feeling much better. I'm hoping to loose enough weight so the knees won't hurt so much and the shots will last longer. I love being able to walk and be active again.
  • dawnvt24
    dawnvt24 Posts: 3 Member
    When I switched back to my regular pants from wearing shorts all summer and I found I can barely breathe while in them.
    I'm too poor to go buy bigger pants...🤣