What can I replace bread with?

Options
1235»

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Low carb high fiber wraps. Look in the tortilla section. The ones I buy are $2.75 ish and only has 9 net Carbs. there is a brand with only 6 net Carbs but it runs for almost $5.

You can also make falx meal pancakes and use them as bread.

4 Tbsp bob redmill's flax meal
    1 whole egg
    1~2 Tbsp water

Cook it like pancakes for few minutes and will only run you 0~2 net carbs
  • dman11121
    Options
    You should worry about bread but not because of carbs ... Most bread is is very high in sugar and is related to many health problems such as Heart attacks and type 2 diabetes ... Whole Wheat,White doesn't matter .. Bread is not good for you
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    _EndGame_ wrote: »
    ... I wish there was some kind of substitute for bread, but I can't really find one. It's not like I can eat crackerbreads with my poached eggs! Anybody have any suggestions as to what I could replace bread with?

Two things, one, replace bread with rum.

Second, the correct, pc term is caucasian, or white. That's not a kind word there, boss. you might get stabbed in the south throwing that one around.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have yet to find a sub for bread. Especially with eggs.. I don't eat it often and when I do I stick with the Ezekiel brand or some other whole wheat version. I love all things with flour... Pasta, bread, wraps, tortillas, crackers, biscuits, muffins, pita chips, and cookies.

What if you alternated days you had your eggs for another breakfast you could manage without the bread? Steel cut oats, apple slices with peanut butter, chia pudding or yogurt with nuts and fruit? This way you could have the bread less often. Though, I don't think it would do you much harm to include a slice of bread each day with your eggs.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love bread, so I vote keep it. They call it the staff of life for a reason!
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Here is my bread recipe. It takes about 5 minutes from start to finish including cook time! It's super fast and delicious! It has the texture of corn bread almost. I love to grill it or toast it before I use it for a sandwich. It only has 4 grams carbs per two slices. I eat it everyday..it's that good! I use it for breakfast sandwiches (eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese, mayo), club sandwiches (chicken breast, ham/bacon, turkey, cheese, onions, tomatoes, lettuce), grilled cheese sandwiches, BLTs...I use it for pretty much everything. I love it!

Bread_zps4ac31723.jpg

Low Carb Bread

10 1/2 tbsp almond flour
    3 1/2 tsp coconut flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    3 eggs
    4 1/2 tsp buttermilk
    1 1/2 tsp olive oil
    3 tbsp shredded Pepper Jack cheese
    1 tsp onion powder

Spray an 8-inch square, glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, coconut flour, baking powder and onion powder. In small bowl, with fork, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and olive oil together. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle in cheese; mix everything together well until the mixture thickens slightly.

Pour mixture into an 8x8 sprayed pan. Spread out evenly. Microwave on high 3 minutes (Your microwave might need different timing). Remove from microwave and immediately cut a cross in the bread, dividing it into 4 quadrants. Take each piece and flip it over to allow the undersides to dry out a bit. When cool, slice each piece in half horizontally so that you have 8 slices of bread. Place in the toaster and toast until nice and brown. Or grill on a counter top grill like a George Foreman for a nice texture before use. Store the rest in a zip lock bag in the fridge.
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    whierd wrote: »
    Why cut out bread? Or anything?

Why not?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    _EndGame_ wrote: »
    ... I wish there was some kind of substitute for bread, but I can't really find one. It's not like I can eat crackerbreads with my poached eggs! Anybody have any suggestions as to what I could replace bread with?

Two things, one, replace bread with rum.

Second, the correct, pc term is caucasian, or white. That's not a kind word there, boss. you might get stabbed in the south throwing that one around.

What are you talking about, cracker bread ? They serve cracker breads in all types of delis, Its like a cracker thats why he can't use it to soup up his poached eggs. Some people also call it flat bread.

czdgzbluqdx2.jpg

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    And I never had any caucasian bread. What the hell is that ?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs are good on grits, or a corn tortilla.

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes! I have put fried eggs on them, made ham/cheese/bbq sauce and PBJ for example. They have no flavor except salt, so they absorb the flavor of what you put on them, and are like a little plate you can eat.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    nothing at all. Bread is the best. Just eat in moderation and eat WW.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For me, bread is too delicious to cut out completely. I make my own, sometimes with extra gluten! >:)
    All I know is that in Julius Caesar's time, the legions were given a choice between gruel or bread and they chose bread. That's an army travelling on that horrid substance.
    Hey, most of them would be dead soon anyway, right?
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    h9dlb wrote: »
    I've more or less given up bread and not missed it one bit (previously a very big bread eater)

Ditto
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Navtendon wrote: »
    h9dlb wrote: »
    I've more or less given up bread and not missed it one bit (previously a very big bread eater)

Ditto

Sounds boring. It's great to eat sensibly in moderation and still be a gourmet. :)
  • erinb419
    Options
    Rice cakes are only 35 calories apiece
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have not found a replacement for bread, but I am learning to enjoy shirataki noodles. The angelhair cut has the mildest flavor. I can find them made from either tofu or white yams. I use them in place of pasta. I try my best to follow the Paleo diet, and wild rice is acceptable, and I enjoy the texture and flavor. Best of Luck ! ! !