Not so healthy foods

Options

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Tell that to the thousands of starving children of hard working parents in this first world country
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    just caught up on the thread. should have realized it would turn into an argument.

you shouldn't worry about food getting thrown out. if your husband can't finish it himself, then too bad. let him throw it out. you don't have to eat it if you don't want to.

Why does he have to throw it out?
    If he doesn't finish it today, he can't finish it tomorrow?

my point is, she isn't required to eat it. he can do with it what he wants. of course that's exactly what i said, but you read something else in my post.

if your husband can't finish it himself, then too bad. let him throw it out.
    Who said he wanted to throw them out?
    Who said he can't finish them?

i said "if"

quit trolling
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Tell that to the thousands of starving children of hard working parents in this first world country

i can't be bothered to make sure that every bit of food i buy gets eaten. i'm not going to personally tell them this, but you can if you want.
  • stephanieluvspb
    Options

What should we tell them?

Ummm i dunno whatever you want to tell them I guess
  • stephanieluvspb
    Options

i can't be bothered to make sure that every bit of food i buy gets eaten. i'm not going to personally tell them this, but you can if you want.

That's a little much but whatever. I really don't care what you do with your food, shove it in your pie hole or throw it away, i worked for a low income clinic in a really low income neighborhood and its just something that bothers me.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I, for instance, stopped eating dessert foods 10 years ago. My husband loves dessert food and brings it home all the time. For the most part, I don't think twice about it -- it's not my food, it's not my business. It might as well be brussel sprouts.

That's why it's best not to avoid completely what you love so you don't have those binge feelings once you're in the presence of those foods. But you know what? Good for you for not having any dessert food for so long. Why? Cuz you let your brain win and not the lifeless food. You chose, you didn't let the food choose for you. Point proven.

Did you even read my post?
    Did you notice you proved my point?

Your point appears to be that people should both eat their binge foods and avoid their binge foods.

That makes no sense at all

If you ate those cookies a little bit more often, I assure you that you wouldn't binge on them every single time they were brought home. You know what self control is. You said yourself you've been doing that for the past TEN YEARS. Just because it's in the house doesn't mean YOU have to eat it. That's my point, you decide. You don't let food decide. AGAIN, POINT PROVEN. Thank you for that. :drinker:

Yes, you are absolutely right.

I get to decide what to eat and what not to eat.

However, you are skipping a step -- the URGE to binge. I don't get to decide when the urge pops up.

My way: I don't eat my binge foods; I don't have to exercise self-control because there's nothing to control; I experience the urge to binge a handful of times over 10 years and because my self-control isn't exhausted, I'm successful in overcoming the urge.

Your way: eat a little bit of your binge food; exercise self-control over the desire to eat more; when self-control breaks, battle the urge to binge; when you lose the battle, binge. Repeat over and over until your self-control gets stronger or until you give up, whichever comes first.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    hmcbride68 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If the dieter can't stop at half, the doughnuts have to go

If the dieter can't stop, it's not the doughnuts that need to go, it's whatever reason he/she can't stop themselves that needs to go. Eating healthy is a behavior. If bad eating habits are present, that behavior needs to be re-trained. Adopting a healthy attitude toward food and confidence in one's self is how that is done. Developing strange phobias toward certain food types, placing said food on some weird plane of total power, then submitting to it, is silly and going in the opposite direction of learning to eat properly

Ok sure, but it's not always as easy as telling yourself 'I'll stop at one' unfortunately. Or we wouldn't have been fat in the first place! But if you have a magic solution to re-train yourself, by all means, share.

Who ever said it was easy? Getting fit, especially after years of bad habits, is hard as hell. It takes a tremendous amount of patience and determination over a long period of time. It takes discipline. You're making several decisions regarding your health on a daily basis. To espouse that there is no need for self-control is preposterous. This isn't something you can go to the drug store and get a pill for. There's no drive-thru window. You're not playing some game where you win, get a trophy, feel good about it for a while, then move on. You're changing the way you live your life up to the day you die. This is serious stuff. If I had some "magic solution" to changing people's behavior, I would be the wealthiest person alive. No one has one singular answer as to how someone looking to change should go about it. Only the person wanting to change knows that. It's their life. They are the only one that lives it. I do know that it requires to first be honest with one's self. There are lots of people here with good experience and knowledge that can help a person like the OP figure things out. But, leading them down a path of blaming objects and holding other people responsible for not not even just getting into the predicament they're in, but their decisions and behavior going forward, is highly irresponsible and not the wisdom of a mature person with sound judgement. A person such as the OP is likely vulnerable and is asking for help. To lead them down the wrong path is irresponsible and not helpful at all. In fact, it can add to their confusion, making it harder for them to make the adjustments necessary for their success
  • Aviva92
    Options
    just caught up on the thread. should have realized it would turn into an argument.

you shouldn't worry about food getting thrown out. if your husband can't finish it himself, then too bad. let him throw it out. you don't have to eat it if you don't want to.

my point is, she isn't required to eat it. he can do with it what he wants. of course that's exactly what i said, but you read something else in my post.

i said "if"

quit trolling

Well no one said that, you're just getting a little aggressive there. If he can't finish it TOO BAD!!! Yikes

are you trying to troll me into saying something you can report or something? move on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    just throw them away

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, it seems many people on here argue there is no such thing as unhealthy foods.

Sadly, there are people here who demonize foods and make it that much harder on people to succeed. Oh, there is no such thing as unhealthy food. There is no food you can name that I cant give you an example of it contributing to a healthy diet.

It's not black and white.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ItsMe0909 wrote: »
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

Is HE on a diet?
  • Aviva92
    Options

i said "if"

quit trolling

Well no one said that, you're just getting a little aggressive there. If he can't finish it TOO BAD!!! Yikes

are you trying to troll me into saying something you can report or something? move on.

I can't control what you say, only you can. You think I concern myself with reporting you? Lol

yep
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    hmcbride68 wrote: »

Who ever said it was easy? Getting fit, especially after years of bad habits, is hard as hell. It takes a tremendous amount of patience and determination over a long period of time. It takes discipline.
    Actually, if it's that hard you're setting yourself up for failure. Do you know what's easy? Resisting temptation when you're not tempted. But you go ahead and keep beating your head against the wall and fighting the good fight and all of that...
  • stephanieluvspb
    Options

What should we tell them?

Ummm i dunno whatever you want to tell them I guess

I actually don't need to tell them anything. I'm not responsible for feeding them. I'm responsible for feeding myself and my own family. You're the one that gets bothered if others throw away food not me.
    That's true and at least you don't have to worry about stopping and digging extra money out of your pocket for the bell ringers with the red buckets at christmas time you might be on to something
  • Aviva92
    Options

That's a little much but whatever. I really don't care what you do with your food, shove it in your pie hole or throw it away, i worked for a low income clinic in a really low income neighborhood and its just something that bothers me.

would my buying exactly what i eat and no more and never wasting food actually help to fix hunger for poor people in this country? i don't think there is an actual shortage of food here.