Personal safety while walking/running

Options
123457»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    It's very easy to say what you would or would not do, if you have never actually been faced with that situation.

And very easy to make assumptions about people who, having been in the situation, come to a different conclusion about the most appropriate and proportionate response to risk.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's very easy to say what you would or would not do, if you have never actually been faced with that situation.

And very easy to make assumptions about people who, having been in the situation, come to a different conclusion about the most appropriate and proportionate response to risk.

Agreed. Everyone has to do what they are most comfortable doing and need to, and should not dictate what others "should" do or feel is appropraite and proportionate - also having been in the situation.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    This thread has been informative and entertaining. I am surprised by some of the replies. I have decided on a dog. I had been thinking of getting a Rhodesian ridgeback for some time and it's confirmed. I'm going to start stalking rescues and shelters now. :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do any of you carry pepper spray or anything while out and about? I don't always feel safe staying out after dark or setting out before sunrise. I hate that I feel that way. What is the best remedy for that? Does anyone here take any precautions besides the obvious- staying in populated areas/lighted paths, etc?
    A pocket pistol can be useful.

Needed that once while out for a run in Boston.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    I always run with my 70lbs German shepherd...keeps people at a far distance.

Yep. I go with the dog. Otherwise, as long as I make sure I look like I know where I'm going, people tend to leave me alone. I also refuse to talk to anyone when I'm out in my neighborhood. I don't really care any more if I look like a tool bag.

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts here I'm seeing an untapped market as far as smart watches/fitness trackers/etc go. It might be time for someone to step up and include some safety features like a gps beacon and panic button that will send out messages asking for help.

I think runkeeper sends out a text with your gps coordinates if you dont move for 5 minutes. Some app does anyway... and it can send regular texts every so many minutes with your location anyway.

Go for it!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    PLEASE don't go around carrying dangerous weapons that you don't know how to use. Imagine how terrible you'd feel if you accidentally hurt or injured a kid or something just due to being jumpy.

Not sure why you would assume we dont know how to use them? I carry a pistol and a switchblade, and am well versed in how and when to use, and I practice regularly.

Yes, actual police officers are killing unarmed people by mistake* but you've been trained so much better than them to the point that you're infallible

*if they never get tried, convicted, or jailed perhaps I'm in the wrong to call it a mistake.

I was not trying to be combative with you... I never said I was better than them or infallible (neither are they). Simply that I am trained enough to feel comfortable if I should need to use it, and I certainly would never do it lightly - I would have to feel extremely threatened with immediate danger that I could not run away from. I could accidently kill someone just as easily with certain self-defense techniques - should I avoid those too? I am simply unwilling to put the safety of someone trying to hurt me over my own. if there are women and children and innocent people around, it is unlikely i would have the occasion to need it anyway as I would first yell for help - so the likelihood of shooting an unarmed person "by mistake" who is NOT intent on hurting me is very unlikely.

I take it very seriously. In any case, your sarcasm and derision are not enough to change my mind about carrying it. Maybe you could state your objections in a more educational manner, and it might be better received - if you actually want to convince people to think about this and perhaps change their mind, consider changing your method of delivering your message?

But not men?
    You wouldn't yell for help then?

I'm not getting this.

No because it's the men you need to be fearing. They're the sketchy creapers.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the posts here I'm seeing an untapped market as far as smart watches/fitness trackers/etc go. It might be time for someone to step up and include some safety features like a gps beacon and panic button that will send out messages asking for help.

I think runkeeper sends out a text with your gps coordinates if you dont move for 5 minutes. Some app does anyway... and it can send regular texts every so many minutes with your location anyway.

Go for it!
    Cool. Hopefully as the tech gets smaller they can start fitting similar features into more devices. Imagine if you could have this in your running shoes, or whatever so that it's never obvious to a criminal. The possibilities are endless. I guess after that happens the conspiracy theory kooks will freak out though and think they're always being watched.

The like the ones moaning and whining about the cop spotting apps.