Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Maybe take a look at your carb or sugar consumption (you can use the my fitness pal reports), and try to scale those back. Sugar can trigger an insulin response that triggers your body to put on fat. I was eating boxed cereal for breakfast, and even though it was a lower-sugar cereal, and when I started checking out my stats, that was a huge amount of sugar and carbs. It was hard to do, because my body was addicted to the morning sugar, but I switched that out for 3 eggs and a can of tuna for breakfast, and that accelerated my fat loss. It took several days before I was no longer craving the cereal though. Note that 3 eggs is more than the recommended allotment, but more recent research on eggs is tending to say they're more healthy than previously thought. I also get a heafty allotment of mercury with the canned tuna, but I try to buy the more expensive ones that are lower (and the research on how bad mercury is for non-pregnant adults is saying that's not as bad as they hype would suggest).

Please also ignore this. If you're having problems feeling hungry all the time and it leads you to overeat, then consider more nutrient dense food that keeps you feeling full longer. If not, continue eating as you like. Sugar intake does not matter.

Actually sugar does matter. I'm sorry but 300 calories of chicken and 300 calories of pop tarts affect you much differently. Sugar, for one, makes you retain water. Now I'm not saying that a fully ketogenic diet is the way to go (I lost ~20 pounds on one), but everyone is different. One thing will not work for everyone. So, follow whatever discipline you choose, but don't say that sugar intake doesn't matter.

So saying the bold in a forum where OP is having trouble losing is not to try to promote the diet.

Beside for people with medical issues calories in< calories out is the way to lose weight and no single factor in the diet matters. That includes sugar.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Maybe take a look at your carb or sugar consumption (you can use the my fitness pal reports), and try to scale those back. Sugar can trigger an insulin response that triggers your body to put on fat. I was eating boxed cereal for breakfast, and even though it was a lower-sugar cereal, and when I started checking out my stats, that was a huge amount of sugar and carbs. It was hard to do, because my body was addicted to the morning sugar, but I switched that out for 3 eggs and a can of tuna for breakfast, and that accelerated my fat loss. It took several days before I was no longer craving the cereal though. Note that 3 eggs is more than the recommended allotment, but more recent research on eggs is tending to say they're more healthy than previously thought. I also get a heafty allotment of mercury with the canned tuna, but I try to buy the more expensive ones that are lower (and the research on how bad mercury is for non-pregnant adults is saying that's not as bad as they hype would suggest).

Please also ignore this. If you're having problems feeling hungry all the time and it leads you to overeat, then consider more nutrient dense food that keeps you feeling full longer. If not, continue eating as you like. Sugar intake does not matter.

Actually sugar does matter. I'm sorry but 300 calories of chicken and 300 calories of pop tarts affect you much differently. Sugar, for one, makes you retain water. Now I'm not saying that a fully ketogenic diet is the way to go (I lost ~20 pounds on one), but everyone is different. One thing will not work for everyone. So, follow whatever discipline you choose, but don't say that sugar intake doesn't matter.

So saying the bold in a forum where OP is having trouble losing is not to try to promote the diet.

Beside for people with medical issues calories in< calories out is the way to lose weight and no single factor in the diet matters. That includes sugar.

No...
    If you read the whole quote, I clearly say that a diet that worked for me isn't going to work for everyone. My first post about the importance of sleep in this forum, that was advice.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    amlynn16 wrote: »
    TOM does make a difference. People tend to make a misconception that muscle weighs more then fat. 1 lb is 1 lb. Its like say 1 ton of bricks weighs more then 1 ton of feathers. In the end we don't lose the weight as much as we would like because the goal is to gain the muscle to replace the fat. The 1st go around of losing weight for me I found that it can be normal to not necessarily lose a lot of weight if any if you're starting an exercise regiment.

EXACTLY. Just like cars weigh as much as feathers, because 1lb = 1lb.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    4 weeks is not enough time to judge whether lifting is working. You will retain water & scale weight will reflect it. I suggest keeping track of your measurements. I've been (trying to) eat with a small deficit and lift heavy 3x/wk for 4 months and am just now starting to see results. Not on the scale but in measurements going down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Where did Iis not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.
    when did I flex?

you came into the thread, gave OP advice, got called on it, and now you want to back out???

I am not going to debate you in PM...

Where did I tell OP to go low carb. Please quote it for me.
    Edit for quote problems

I never said anything about you giving low carb advice...I said you gave advice and got called on it...

I never gave "advice", I stated that sugar is not irrelevant.

you made a broad statement about sugar, when it should be diet and dosage that matter..

I see you have no revised that, so we should be good to go.
  • Tydeclare44
    Options
    Where did Iis not a discussion about low carb vs. other diets. This forum is about a woman who has had a rough four weeks. Not the context for this discussion. Yopeeps, do not put words in my mouth. No where did I say that sugar is THE ONLY thing that matters. No where did I say that you can eat above your calories and lose weight. ndj, stop trying to flex on me man, I am also saying that the dosage of sugar matters aka you cannot disregard sugar intake. I am not trying to argue about beliefs in diet here, just simply you cannot disregard sugar intake in a diet as it does have an effect on your body.
    when did I flex?

you came into the thread, gave OP advice, got called on it, and now you want to back out???

I am not going to debate you in PM...

Where did I tell OP to go low carb. Please quote it for me.
    Edit for quote problems

I never said anything about you giving low carb advice...I said you gave advice and got called on it...

I never gave "advice", I stated that sugar is not irrelevant.

you made a broad statement about sugar, when it should be diet and dosage that matter..

I see you have no revised that, so we should be good to go.

Should have been more specific I guess
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

No...
    If you read the whole quote, I clearly say that a diet that worked for me isn't going to work for everyone. My first post about the importance of sleep in this forum, that was advice.

did you just restate what I already bold?

• Tydeclare44
    edited January 2015
    Options

No...

What you have bolded is a personal example from my life which I used to give evidence to my point. My point was not to promote a keto diet. If you look at the quote I responded to, it was to someone saying that sugar intake does not matter. My point is that it does (as ndj states, it's diet and dosage that matters). I can see how you may think that I was promoting, but 2 things. 1) I wasn't talking to OP. I was responding to someone. 2) I say follow whatever discipline you want because not everything works for everyone.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Poptarts sound so good. I haven't had a poptart in like 6 months.
  • Tydeclare44
    Options

No...

What you have bolded is a personal example from my life which I used to give evidence to my point. My point was not to promote a keto diet. If you look at the quote I responded to, it was to someone saying that sugar intake does not matter. My point is that it does (as ndj states, it's diet and dosage that matters). I can see how you may think that I was promoting, but 2 things. 1) I wasn't talking to OP. I was responding to someone. 2) I say follow whatever discipline you want because not everything works for everyone.

*edit because I'm so bad at usting the
    boxes
  • Tydeclare44
    Options

No...

*edit because I'm so bad at using the quote boxes
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    Someone please tell me what this cardio is that burns 1000 calories in 60 minutes because I am all over that.

I'm pretty sure I could burn that if I could climb up the steepest slope of Mt. Kilimanjaro at a 10min/mile pace.

I think I'll settle for my measly 420 cals for a 6 mile in an hour run. I won't even feel cheated.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

Man I wish! The most calories I've burned doing cardio (spin class w/ a lot of resistance) for 60 minutes is about 550 calories. I can only get in the 600s if I tack on another 15 minutes. I'm 5'1 and fluctuating between 133-136lbs.

And the rest of this is garbage as well. Why would you ever tell someone not to lift? I'm not even a lifter (I bodyweight train) and I know the importance of lifting.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    zoecmc wrote: »
    Hi have you been checking your measurements? As your shape may have changed x

if you are useless at measuring like me you can use what i called test shorts. i put on these shorts that were too tight on me every two weeks, until one day they just fell off. this really helped me when i start getting frustrated with my scales.

It's funny! I have test jeans. I've weighed myself, measured myself, been bodpod measured, I own fat calipers. But nothing beats the day when those jeans just suddenly 'sit right'. Sometimes I wear them for days on end in the house to remind me not to eat too muchas they get really uncomfortable.
  • Springfield1970
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not that there's anything wrong with lifting weights, but jimbmc is correct that cardio tends to burn calories at a faster rate. Whether or not you're going to get 1000 calories per hour is dependent on your size and the intensity of the workout, but some people achieve those numbers. A runner burns 0.63 x (their weight in lbs) for every mile. A walker burns 0.30 x (their weight) for every mile.

I weigh 127lb and even during a fast race I don't burn more than 600 per hour.
    Unless people are already fit they shouldn't be using exercise to create a medium to large deficit anyway in my book, there's no point cutting too much more than 10/15% under TDEE and its better to create the deficit from food and take care not to over stress the body while its in defecit and not in an optimal repairing position(maintenance).

I lift while on a cut, and do cardio but I'm very careful to not go more than 5% under Tdee. If I cut harder I do it on a rest day or a walk day.
  • Chls122
    Chls122 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After reading your replies, I'd say you need better sleep and a reduction to your stress levels. Your food diary looks ok, one thing that helped me start losing again was cutting out the stress in my life.
  • Springfield1970
    edited January 2015
    Options

No...

There is something that burns body tissue that is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN to work for everyone.

Calories in Calories out.

CICO.

You can dress it up anyway you like, Keto, low carb, cabbage, toothpaste, maple syrup whatevs.

When you take away the water and glycogen loss 'noise'(drops in weight on the scale not fat related), all those fancy diets IF THEY CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT do the same thing.

Our goal at the end of the day is to lose FAT. Not water out of your gut, organs, skin from carb depletion (unless you're competing in a body comp), not glycogen from your muscles and organs, not calcium from your bones, not muscle tissue. Body Fat. The trick is doing that without burning away anything else. A few of us here know how to do that. Some of us here don't know their stuff yet but are in the process of learning hopefully.

• Springfield1970
    Options
    Chls122 wrote: »
    After reading your replies, I'd say you need better sleep and a reduction to your stress levels. Your food diary looks ok, one thing that helped me start losing again was cutting out the stress in my life.

As stated already, sleep does not help you make a calorie deficit. Lack of sleep possibly may hinder recovery from exercise so you retain a little more WATER which may mask your weight loss for a while.

I'm not knocking sleep! But as an insomniac I've had my best fat burning periods while sleeping very little, I was just in a calorie deficit.