Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

Terrible advice. Please, ignore this^
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This thread....wow

did someone really give advice to stop lifting....just wow
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Chls122 wrote: »
    After reading your replies, I'd say you need better sleep and a reduction to your stress levels. Your food diary looks ok, one thing that helped me start losing again was cutting out the stress in my life.

How did cutting stress out of you life help you lose weight?

How does sleep and a reduction of stress levels help?

I ask these questions because you can sleep all you want, and reduce all stress factors, but it will not help you lose weight unless you eat at a calorie deficit it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Chls122 wrote: »
    After reading your replies, I'd say you need better sleep and a reduction to your stress levels. Your food diary looks ok, one thing that helped me start losing again was cutting out the stress in my life.

*facepalm*

Let me borrow your palm as well....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If a solid 8 hours of sleep is needed to have successful weight loss then I'd be stuffed!! It's so easy to SAY get more sleep. But some of us are crappy sleepers like myself. I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours straight :'(
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @MrM27‌ -"4 weeks is enough to time. 4 months is just wasting time."

Haha. Wrong.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    @MrM27, you told me that I have been wasting my time lifting heavy for the last four months since you were responding to my personal experience with lifting and eating at a deficit. Building strength and doing something I really enjoy is not a waste of time. My deficit is small because I dont have a lot to lose. I'm sure if OP only dieted for 4 wks or was close to goal weight and lifted heavy for 4 wks the results would show faster. It took me these 4 months of lifting to increase my strength enough to go from deadlifting the 45lb Oly bar to 145lbs. No way I could have done that in 4 weeks. Building that strength and a little muscle is what helped me shed some fat and get the results I am quite happy with. And, yes, it took 4 months. I don't think that's unreasonable at all with a small deficit.You may think it's a waste of time but I hope that OP sticks with it and doesn't get discouraged after one month of work. You are entitled to your opinion but I think I know best about what has or has not been a waste of my time. 'Bye.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, which is what the OP was asking, four weeks is plenty of time. Four months is absolutely wasting time, if you are talking weight loss, like the OP.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If a solid 8 hours of sleep is needed to have successful weight loss then I'd be stuffed!! It's so easy to SAY get more sleep. But some of us are crappy sleepers like myself. I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours straight :'(

I don't need 8 hours! As for the reducing stress, anyone handing out that advice needs to just come down here with a checkbook and a moving van and help me out. Still managed to lose 35 pounds.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Not that there's anything wrong with lifting weights, but jimbmc is correct that cardio tends to burn calories at a faster rate. Whether or not you're going to get 1000 calories per hour is dependent on your size and the intensity of the workout, but some people achieve those numbers. A runner burns 0.63 x (their weight in lbs) for every mile. A walker burns 0.30 x (their weight) for every mile.

I weigh 127lb and even during a fast race I don't burn more than 600 per hour.
    Unless people are already fit they shouldn't be using exercise to create a medium to large deficit anyway in my book, there's no point cutting too much more than 10/15% under TDEE and its better to create the deficit from food and take care not to over stress the body while its in defecit and not in an optimal repairing position(maintenance).

I lift while on a cut, and do cardio but I'm very careful to not go more than 5% under Tdee. If I cut harder I do it on a rest day or a walk day.

When I was 296, I burned 1396 calories an hour doing karate. Now I"m 181, it's 822. I would burn 470 calories in 30 minutes jogging, now I burn 411 running (I've sped up since I lost weight). How much you burn in cardio can depend a lot on how much you weigh. After a 2 hour karate class, I could eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight. Going to Disneyland, I lost 8 pounds in a week (slightly more than double my usual weight loss) just because of all the walking around - I burned about 3000 extra calories a day in the park (starting weight 263). Earning those bonus exercise calories when you are morbidly obese rocks.

I've been resistance training (mostly bodyweight), jogging/running, doing karate, and horseback riding throughout my weightloss journey. There's no reason not to exercise for a medium to large deficit when you are not fit, and every reason to go for it. I believe my exercise to be responsible for at least half of my weight loss, and all of the esthetic improvement in my now visible muscles. I'm feeling healthier, running faster, lifting heavier, with better form, and more reps, jumping higher, have better balance, agility, and flexibility, I've lost the ache in my knee, and I'm no longer afraid of hurting myself falling (I broke my ankle jogging during my last attempt to get healthy). And everything I get better at motivates me to keep going, eat healthy, and stay in a calorie deficit.

Loging calories and thinking about everything I can't eat is demotivating. Exercise is motivating, and has been shown to have health benefits, especially for someone with my medical conditions (depression, diabetes, sleep disorder, asthma). It targets visceral fat, helps sleep, improves mood, protects and enhances cognitive function, increases insulin sensitivity, prevents some cancers, reduces cardiovascular risk indicators, and enhances a dieter's chance of maintaining weight loss. So long as someone is getting good nutrition, and adequate quality protein, there is no reason to discourage them from exercising, regardless of fitness level, and every reason to encourage them in realistic fitness goals. There's no reason for the "unfit" to confine themselves to diet for their deficit. Exercise does not only belong to those who are already fit.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    cdiponio87 wrote: »
    Running/Jogging (4 times a week) in conjunction with 1500 cals daily = weight loss.

So does a calorie deficit alone or lifting 4 times a week with a calorie deficit or sitting around every day with a calorie deficit.

In actuality, exercise is not needed for weight loss, it's simply an added plus with many health benefits. :)

That's very true but, for me at least, weight loss without exercise sucks in so many ways. :(

Oh gosh, don't get me wrong. I weight lift three times a week, run three times a week, and do the elliptical cross-trainer. I love exercising. However, to say a certain exercise will lead to weight loss is poor advice.

It's never the exercise itself that leads to weight loss, but the calorie deficit. And the calorie deficit can be achieved without exercise.

Oh, I wasn't saying anything in particular about you, just that for me I could do it without exercise but I would hate life. :)

Same here. I love to exercise.
  • Rebecca28186
    Rebecca28186 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    Someone please tell me what this cardio is that burns 1000 calories in 60 minutes because I am all over that.

Hot sex
    In! : :D
  • Dalinair
    Dalinair Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sodium, TOM, ovulation, change-up in exercise, dehydration

- add to the weighing - are you careful with the entries you choose, double checking them, never using other people's 'homemade' versions etc

To ask a newbie question, what is TOM?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Dalinair wrote: »

- add to the weighing - are you careful with the entries you choose, double checking them, never using other people's 'homemade' versions etc

Ask your wife or girlfriend. :wink:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Not something you have...cough *applies to women.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Time of the Month.

This thread, man. Holy moly.