LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Edited to remove a double post...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    DATE...................... MILES...............TOTAL
    2/3............................5.00.....................5.00 (4F, windchill -9F)
    2/4............................6.25...................11.25
    2/5............................7.00...................18.25 (9F, windchill -4F)
    2/6............................6.00...................24.25 (3F, windchill -12F)
    2/8..........................10.00...................34.25
    2/12..........................6.25...................40.50
    2/13..........................6.00...................46.50 (0F, windchill -17)
    2/14..........................5.25...................51.75 (12F, windchill 3F)
    2/15..........................7.00...................58.75 (-7F, windchill -27F)
    2/16..........................6.50...................65.25 (-11F, windchill -23F)

Haven't been on the treadmill since August. Almost broke down today.

exercise.png

• jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

2/7/15- 3.6 miles (dreadmill)

Still haven't been able to run - the HIGH temperature yesterday was -2 F. Today it was -14 F when I woke up.

On another note, my neighbor and I are considering joining a running group to train for the local 1/2 marathon in May. I'm excited about it - but I hope I can get some more running in before the group starts March 16th!

exercise.png[\img]
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You guys hitting it hard in the sub zero temps are some crazy mothers! I called it quits after 2 miles yesterday because I couldn't feel my toes, fingers or face and it was only 9º (5 windchill).
    Saturday I did run 3 miles in 22mph sustained winds. THat was a good burn :) And still had an average pace under 9 minutes!

exercise.png

1 Feb snow=rest
    2 Feb ice=P90X3
    3 Feb– 3.1 miles on ice/slushy streets.
    4 Feb snow storm=P90X3
    5 Feb ice=P90X3
    6 Feb rest day
    7 Feb– 4.14 miles ----First run with avg pace under 9min(8:57)!!!
    8 Feb–4.13 miles
    9 Feb–2.19 miles
    10 Feb–P90X3
    11 Feb–4.21
    12 Feb–P90X3
    13 Feb–rest day
    14 Feb–3 miles
    15 Feb–2 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @fabnine awesome pictures, living in the south now I forget sometimes how beautiful the snow can be, thanks for sharing so I don't actually have to live it. :wink:

@lonewolfrunner and @jtarmom‌ no just no on those temperatures

@ohhim take care of that knee I agree on the foam roller suggestion. I think I've said this before, I had pain on the outside of my knee and PT told me it was from weak hips. He said it didn't matter that I have strong legs my hips were weak.

@ddmom0811 glad the doggie didn't get you. It is scary when a dog comes running at you. For about a week or so I had a pit bull that would run with me in the morning. He wasn't mine he would wait for me outside his house run a couples of miles with me and then turn around LOL But the first day he decided to come with me I was freaking out a bit.

@lesleycali @fabnine and the rest of you running trails, it's so beautiful, I might need to try some trail running when I can add more mileage.

I also wanted to thank all of you who recommended a while back wearing wool socks in the cold. I haven't because I'm okay running, but I brought Makayla a pair and she wears them with her soccer socks while at practice and at her games. It was 20 degrees Friday night at her game, afterwards she said her feet felt good, they weren't ice cubes.

Half way through the month and everyone is doing awesome! Keep it up.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did a long run yesterday and my heel seems to be doing much better. Thank goodness!

On this run, I had a new experience. I was charged/attacked head-on by a large dog (German Shepard mix) intent on doing me harm. I run in suburban neighborhoods where there are clear leash laws, but this dog was out on the street with his owner while completely untethered. I think they were just outside the owner's house. When I first saw the dog heading my way, I tried to get the owner's attention with a shout, but the dog was already on the move. I don't think the owner ever said a word to stop his dog, but I may have just missed it. As the dog charged tail down and ears back, I did all the things that usually stop dogs in their tracks. I stopped, squared off, shouted authoritatively "NO!" and "STAY!", but he didn't miss a stride. As he got closer, I had to go to my absolute last resort. When the dog was about 5 yards out, I started spraying it with the can of mace I run with. The dog didn't flinch until about 4 feet before he got to me. At that point, the mace finally started taking effect and he rolled to one side, did a roll or two on the ground and then kind of drunk-walked his way back to his owner's front yard. That was a very scary experience, and I hated doing it, but I'm am SO GLAD I've been so paranoid as to always run with a can of mace (keychain sized) in one hand. If I hadn't, this would be a story of a dog bite at the very least, and possibly worse.

Now here's the worse part. The owner went nuts on me and started cursing and shouting that it was my fault his dog attacked me. This guy was thoroughly unapologetic and down right hostile. He kept saying that if I hadn't yelled, the dog wouldn't have attacked. Seriously? My only words to him after he started shouting at me were, "there is a leash law", and "you have a responsibility". Then he semi-charged me (the owner, not the dog), so I just kicked it in, and ran on down the street in the direction I had been heading before the incident. I could hear the guy still cursing and shouting threats at my back for another 100 yards or so until I rounded a corner. This was just plain bizarre. I would have been apologizing all over myself had I been this guy, but he was ready for a fight. He did say one thing that I wholeheartedly agree with. He said that I "better never run down this street again". Well duh! I had already come to that obvious conclusion.

The moral of the story: Carry mace. It only takes one dog to ruin your day. And if that owner had attacked, I'd have had to use it twice. As it is, all that resulted from this incident is that I have a new story to tell. And that's a good thing.

02/01/2015 - 9.03 Miles - Cumulative 9.03 Miles
    02/03/2015 - 4.20 Miles - Cumulative 13.23 Miles
    02/05/2015 - 4.22 Miles - Cumulative 17.45 Miles
    02/07/2015 - 9.37 Miles - Cumulative 26.82 Miles
    02/10/2015 - 7.70 Miles - Cumulative 34.52 Miles (Twinge in left heel - had to cut run a little short)
    02/12/2015 - 0 Miles - Did tons of stationary bike/elliptical/arc machine to keep up the cardio.
    02/15/2015 - 10.36 Miles - Cumulative 44.88 Miles (Heel was fine after a few days rest, thank goodness)

GOAL: 80 Miles

exercise.png

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    @SLHysell... glad you got through that.... I have been lucky so far...lots of dogs, no bites. I run into loose dogs when I'm running the trails, but I have never had any of those get aggressive with me. Most usually fall into line and run with me for a little while before they get bored. It's the ones in the neighborhoods that get to be problematic. I never carry mace so I did have to punch a German Shepherd once because he wouldn't stop. I don't know if the owner saw me do it or not. With the levels of adrenaline I had going, it was probably just as well that no owner showed up anyway...lol. The only thing I would have done differently in your case is I definitely have waited to mace the owner, too.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Glad that worked out with no injuries!

I don't think I would have been very nice to that dog owner. He would have been maced when he charged and the cops would have settled who was right and wrong.
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1 –
    2/2 – 1 mile
    2/3 –
    2/4 – 1 mile
    2/5 -
    2/6 -
    2/7 -1 mile
    2/8 – 3.1 miles
    2/9 - .5 miles
    2/10 – 2.2 miles
    2/11 –
    2/12 – 1 mile
    2/13/ -
    2/14 – 1 mile
    2/15 –
    2/16 – 2.2 miles

Goal: 30 miles
    Completed: 13 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell‌ that is just crazy! I'm so glad the dog didn't get its chance to bite you. I owned dogs and have had everything from great danes, german shepherd to a dachshund and now a labradoole and I can't imagine acting like that owner if my dog ever went after someone. My shepherd was very protective of me to a point she would grab your arm if she thought you were going to hurt me. My doodle loves everyone and just wants to play but she is a big 65 lb dog and she scares people. If you can't watch your dog while it's on your property you need to leash it up, simple as that. I never hesitate to put Macy on a leash while I'm out front with her for her protection and for the protection of people walking by. It's dog owners like that that make it bad for the rest of us. If you had to spray my dog because it was coming at you, even Macy who would want to lick you to death and just run with you, I would still be apologizing to you for my not watching my dog.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell I'm so sorry that happened to you. I would have done the same thing. What do you do? Stand there and wait to be bitten or wait to see if it's friendly. I keep my spitfire in one hand and my air horn in the other. I've been lucky that I haven't run into any, though. I'm glad that you are alright. That owner's dog is going to get him in serious trouble.

It's snowing/sleeting/raining in Memphis so I will not be out there today or tomorrow. I need to research running in snowy conditions. I'll probably pass on my group fitness classes once I return to work and hit the treadmill during a late lunch.

Oh, I'm loving all of the pictures, and Congrats to everyone who have completed races. Good luck to those who have races to come. (*)
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell - So glad to hear you are okay; that sounds so awful and scary. I was curious to know if you have considered calling your local police/animal control? Luckily you had mace, but what if another unsuspecting runner and/or a child go by??

Loving all the pics!!! Thanks for sharing! I considered taking a picture of my treadmill in my basement... ;)

2/1, 3 miles, treadmill
    2/2, 4.34 miles, treadmill
    2/3, XT - Zumba
    2/4, 3 miles, treadmill (&Zumba)
    2/5, 4.34 miles, treadmill (&Zumba)
    2/9, 5.78 miles, treadmill (&Zumba)
    2/10, 3.5 miles, treadmill (&Zumba)
    2/11, 6.05 miles, treadmill (&Zumba)
    2/12, 3.0 miles, treadmill
    2/13, rest
    2/14, 10.4 miles, OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!
    2/15, rest
    2/16, 4.34 miles, treadmill (&Yoga for Runners)

47.75 total; 100 goal

exercise.png

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options

Loving all the pics!!! Thanks for sharing! I considered taking a picture of my treadmill in my basement... ;)
    Lol!! You have to do it now... I insist!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 REST DAY
    2/2 6.2 miles - 6.2
    2/3 7.16 miles - 13.36
    2/4 REST DAY
    2/5 7 miles - 20.36
    2/6 6.2 miles - 26.56
    2/7 15 miles - 41.56
    2/8 REST DAY
    2/9 9.5 miles 51.06
    2/10 8 miles 59.06
    2/11 6.2 miles - 65.26
    2/12 7.36 miles - 72.62
    2/13 6.2 miles - 78.82
    2/14 15 miles - 93.82
    2/15 REST DAY
    2/16 10 miles - 103.82

exercise.png

• johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone, how do you run? Do you run with walk intervals or straight through? I am trying to figure out what works best. I have been traveling a lot the past few months for work so have not had as much time to run as I would like but am home for a while now and would like to build up my endurance some.

Feb 1 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 2 -3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 3rd & 4th - Rest
    Feb 5 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 6th & 7th - Rest
    Feb 8 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 9 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 10th, 11th, & 12th was finals week and crazy, busyness!
    Feb 13 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 14th & 15th - Travel
    Feb 16 - 3.1 miles (5k)

exercise.png
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell I am glad that you are okay! I wish I had had mace in my hand last year when I was attacked by two Boxers who were fighting with each other and then noticed me and decided to turn their attention my way. I have several scars in my calves and around my waist from that attack. They were trying to pull me down but I was lucky and my husband noticed what was going on pretty quickly and ran over and physically knocked them off of me. I have never been so scared! I would not hesitate to mace any dog that ever comes after me again!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @sLHysell - Oh my gosh! I'm glad you got away from both of them! That's crazy the owner went nuts on you! Like @lonewolfrunner said I don't know how you held back and didn't spray the crazy owner too. He threatened you. If you have any cop friends I'd be tempted to tell them because this kind of thing doesn't just happen one time with people like that. Be careful and I'm glad you don't have to go that way.

OK, I am holding my mace in my hand from now on too. This morning with my little dog scare, I realized my mace was too hard to get to but I hadn't thought about what I'd do when I run on Wednesday yet.

@johnsonnelly - that is awful! That could have been so much worse. Thank goodness your husband was close by. To answer your other question, I run straight through now. But when I was starting out with Couch 2 5K (In August) I did what the app said to do. When I finished it I got to where I was running 3.5 miles without stopping and then I decided to do the Couch 2 10K. But that somehow messed me up because it had me jog 10 minutes, walk a minute, run 10 minutes, etc., so I got it in my head I could no longer go 30 minutes straight! After a few weeks I got mad, because I felt like I had gone backwards, and I went back to my own plan of increasing slowly and am up to 4.5 -- my goal is 5 straight. Almost there!!! I also read "How to run until you are 100" and in there he recommends mixing running with walking a lot. I'm only 53 so I'm not going to do that yet.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February Goal 75 miles

2/1: hostess to 30 people at my house for some big tv thing. I won't call it rest day!
    2/2: rest from being hostess to 30 people.....
    2/3: 3.61 run and 1 hour of snorkel in rough water
    2/4: snorkel 2 hours
    2/5: 6.17
    2/6 rest
    2/7 4.52
    2/8 3.35
    2/9 2.15
    2/10 rest
    2/11 4.4
    2/12 rest
    2/13 bike
    2/14 3.32
    2/15 4.79
    2/16 2.99

Total: 35.3 miles

(Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png

@slhysell: damned dogs! I always run with 2 (on strong leashes)....it helps to keep others away! You're a better person than I.....I, too, would have maced the owned then called the police!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @SLHysell‌ - I am a dog owner and I can't imagine allowing my dog to run around without a leash and I would be tripping all over myself apologizing if he ever did something like that. My dog loves and wants to visit with everyone and all other dogs, but you never know what or how your dog will react to other people they are not familiar with and I would be devastated if he were frightened and bit someone or excitedly jumped on a child and knocked them down... I must say that I think owners that allow that to happen, like the one in your case, are the worst and so irresponsible. They never think it is their fault or that their dog would do anything wrong. I am so glad you are ok but I too think you should let the police at least know what happened.

@johnsonnelly‌ - so glad you are ok and still running after your attack! As far as how I run, it really depends on how I feel, but usually after the 1st mile I just run. Because I run with my dog, the 1st mile is his time to get all of his doggy business out of the way.

I actually am afraid of dogs on leashes when their owners can't control them. My dog doesn't bark and stays right with me most of the time but it is frightening when other dogs are barking and jumping/pulling to get to us when we run by.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Date.......Miles.......Total
    02/01.... 4.60....... 4.60 - Trail run with hill repeats
    02/02.... 5.75......10.35
    02/03.... 0.00......10.35 - Strength training
    02/04.... 6.00......16.35 - Sore from ^ so 6 miles easy
    02/05.... 3.92......20.27 - Intervals + Strength training
    02/06.... 9.14......29.41 - Long run for the week
    02/07.... 0.00......29.41 - Rest
    02/08.... 2.06......31.47 - Dog Beach!
    02/09.... 5.53......37.00
    02/10.... 6.64......43.64 - + Strength training
    02/11.... 0.00......43.64
    02/12.... 6.83......50.47 - + Strength training
    02/13.... 5.52......55.99
    02/14...11.69......67.68 - hot morning for a long run. Already 80 when we returned home
    02/15.... 0.00......67.68 - Rest
    02/16.... 6.24......73.92

exercise.png