February Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    New PR's! Fastest 10K (only) and furthest distance. 6.45 miles. Not fast, just done. ;)

It's kinda funny. Because I've been debating on weather or not back surgery was going to happen this year (lumbar fusion or double fusion) and today decided/realized that no strengthening or muscle imbalance correction was going to help my leg-foot pain, pins and numbness. So might as well free up that impinged nerve and move forward. I almost didn't run.

I love the super bright running shoes. Had a pair of Nikes that were red/orange, pink and chartreuse. Good shoe too and I'm not partial to nike.

Fantastic run! Congrats! My spine doctor told me he had a patient who was a professional body builder who had a lumbar fusion and was able to get back to competition in less than 5 months. I'm sure it was a very hard decision for you to make, but it probably feels good now that you made the decision.

@healthyfocused715 thanks! Great outside run!

@_nikkiwolf_ I like both of those. I like colorful shoes.

We are having lots of snow here in Northern Alabama at least 4 inches or so out there now.

• johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Feb 1 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 2 -3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 3rd & 4th - Rest
    Feb 5 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 6th & 7th - Rest
    Feb 8 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 9 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 10th, 11th, & 12th was finals week and crazy, busyness!
    Feb 13 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 14th & 15th - Travel
    Feb 16 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 17 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 18 & 19 - No time
    Feb 20 - 4.2 miles
    Feb 21 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    Feb 22 - 4 miles
    Feb 23 - 4 miles
    Feb 24 - 4 miles
    Feb 25 - 5 miles (woo hoo!!!)

exercise.png
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    @johnsonnelly I don't usually stretch or warm up before running, but my first mile is often an easy jog just to get limbered up and find my stride. In Spring through fall I end almost every morning run with a bit of Yoga on my deck before going in. I fell out of this in winter because I don't want to be outside any longer than I have to. Though I really should do Sun Salutations & hip opening poses indoors. You asked previously about walk breaks while running. When I started running I used an interval timer to run 4 minutes & walk 1minute. Then I skipped a walk break for 8/1, 12/1, etc. Around the time I realized I could run 30 minutes without stopping I started telling my self, 'You are a runner. Runners run.' whenever I thought I needed a break. I sometimes still say this to myself (and some less polite phrases) when I'm running up a steep hill or find myself bored during a long run. Distance running really is mostly mental.

@Elise4270 Congrats on your new PR's! I hope your surgery corrects all of your pain and that it's not the end of your running years. BTW I love bright running shoes too!

@_nikkiwolf_ I love your new Saucony Guide 7s. I don't have any blue shoes yet.
    skryac30agry.pngHere's my current rainbow assortment of trainers. The NewBalance 890s are ready for rubbish bin with 541 miles on them but they were my very first pair of running shoes and I hate to throw them away. I only wear them on rain runs now. I can't ruin them anymore than I already have & it saves my 'good' shoes.

@shanaber I usually start rotating my shoes out of circulation around 300-400 miles.

• johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback!! It is always interesting to see how other people balance everything. I am picking up a Bowflex from my brother this weekend and will be adding strength training to my routine which I am excited about. What I have noticed is that if I get busy and miss a few days of running it is harder to get back into the groove so consistency is key. Also, as you said @fabnine, it truly is mostly mental the longer that I run. I have noticed that if I find my groove and then let my mind get rigid I start to struggle but if I stay relaxed and mindful of something other than time/distance I can get a lot accomplished. I have learned a lot of things the hard way, through pretty serious leg injuries, but have finally hit a point in running where I am not sore afterwards and do not have any pain to report. I have learned to listen to my body and stop before I get to that point. I am curious, what training program do you follow to prepare for a half marathon? What are you thoughts about barefoot running (minimalist shoes)?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Feb 1 - 27 mile bike ride.
    Feb 2 - 3 miles
    Feb 3 - strength training
    Feb 4 - 4 miles -
    Feb 5 - rest
    Feb 6 - 3.3 + strength training
    Feb 7 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 8 - sore from biking, so only did a 5 mile walk, not on ticker
    Feb 9 - 4 miles!
    Feb 10 - Strength training
    Feb 11 - 4.5 miles
    Feb 12 - 4.52
    Feb 13- rest -trainer cancelled. :(
    Feb 14 - 34 mile bike ride.
    Feb 15 - 42 mile bike ride.
    Feb 16- 4.51
    Feb 17 - strength training
    Feb 18 -4.62
    Feb 19 - 4.13
    Feb 20 - strength training
    Feb 21 - 5 miles running; 15 miles biking
    Feb 22 - 50 mile bike ride
    Feb 23 - rest day.
    Feb 24 - Strength training
    Feb 25 - 5 miles!
    Feb 26 - 1.72 - it started pouring rain so I had to turn around and go back home. I tried to run in it for a minute, but it was coming down so hard I couldn’t see and I was worried about my phone. Plus I thought I was losing one of my contacts.

So now I am slightly under my goal and this was my last run day of the month. I am doing a 5K on Sunday so wasn't going to run on Saturday (plus I'm biking that day). Fridays are very difficult run days for me because I only sleep about 4 hours on Thursday nights. I'll see if I can sneak in a couple miles but if not, it's okay. I'm still happy that I got up to 5 miles during the week.

exercise.png

• harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Almost, got to squeeze in two more miles some how!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Two more days to go.
    Let's go everyone, HUSTLE!

tumblr_msnzxyNkCm1qkxoczo5_250.gif
    No, not that hustle..

exercise.png

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 5mi, race/pacing
    2 - Birthday, rest day
    3 - 8mi, fast finish
    4 - 10mi, easy
    5 - 9mi, 8x800m (Yasso 800s) at 6:40min/mi
    6 - 8.2mi, easy
    7 - 19.7mi, long/last 8 w/girl
    8 - Rest
    9 - 5mi, easy
    10 - 11.3mi, easy, doubles 8.3+3
    11 - 10mi, easy
    12 - 6mi, pyramid speed day
    13 - 9mi, easy, doubles 6+3
    14 - 6.3, 3.2mi, easy, + 5k race
    15 - Rest
    16 - 5mi, easy
    17 - 8mi, easy
    18 - 12mi, easy
    19 - 8mi, intervals (8x600M @6:00 pace, 200M rests)
    20 - 7mi, easy
    21 - 7mi, easy
    22 - 18mi, long/fast finish @MP
    23 - 5mi, easy
    24 - 8mi, easy
    25 - 11mi, easy w/fast finish
    26 - 9mi, 3x 2mi repeats @HM pace (6:50)

Feb Goal: 200mi

Total: 205.9
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2.5 mile tempo run to add bring my total to 56.5 with 13.5 to do.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71‌ I'm anxious to set goals for March. Will you (or someone) be creating a thread soon?
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    HOLY POOP!!!! I ran for 47 minutes straight today!!!! YAY!!!!!! AND I surpassed my goal for the month!

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Great job @cooter_mom‌
  • fabnine
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @ddmom0811 So excited you ran 5 miles! You've had an excellent month of active days. Don't sweat the goal, rest easy now and go hard for your 5K. You're going to be awesome!

@harpere87 You're doing fantastic; you've totally got two more miles in you!

@QHjr gifs in the running challenge- we have arrived :smiley:tumblr_msnzxyNkCm1qkxoczo5_250.gifThanks, this just totally made my day!

@Elise4270 <3 your new profile pic.

@cooter_mom 2 days early too- Nicely done!
  • fabnine
    Options
    _Date___ Miles
    Feb 1 ___17.3 __long first run to start February off right
    Feb 2 ___ 3.5 __8°F another snowstorm
    Feb 3 ___ 5.2 __5°F
    Feb 4 ___ 3.1 __24:41 no where near a record but happy with it just the same.
    Feb 5 ___ 1.4 __streak high winds and snow
    Feb 6 ___ 3.1 __
    Feb 7 ___ 6.2 __ snowing again
    Feb 8 ___ 11.4 __12°F & more snow
    Feb 9 ___ 3.5 __ even more snow
    Feb 10 __ 8.1 __28°F here's that heat wave
    Feb 11 __ 3.6 __and a fun hike up Monadnock
    Feb 12 __ 6.1 __snowing again
    Feb 13 __ 3.1 __ 0°F when I started out -1°F 26 minutes later when I finished.
    Feb 14 __ 5.4 --11°F light snow
    Feb 15 __ 2.7 __ 11°F blowing snow 35mph wind gusts
    Feb 16 __ 1.3 __ 3°F streak
    Feb 17 __ 1.1 __ streak
    Feb 18 __ 6.6 __ 22°F and windy but sunny
    Feb 19 __ 4.0 __ snowing and a little hike up Pack Monadnock
    Feb 20 __ 5.3 __ 12°F & windy but the sun was shining.
    Feb 21 __ 7.1 __
    Feb 22 __ 8.7 __was so beautiful today I didn't want to go home but my legs said no more.
    Feb 23 __ 3.7 __windy
    Feb 24 __ 7.1 __Sunset run- gilded clouds and all
    Feb 25 __ 6.7 __
    Feb 26 __ 11.0 __
    Month total= 146.2miles __3.8remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 186days = 1167.0miles

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    exercise.png

Sooooo close......
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    2/1 - 2/6 no running
    2/7 - 2.1 miles
    2/8 - 2.1 miles
    2/9 - PT day so I didn't run
    2/10 - 2.1 miles (amount allowed by PT)
    2/11 - 2.5 miles
    2/12 - 2.0 miles
    2/13 - PT - rest day
    2/14 - 3.5 miles (PT upped me to one 2 mi and one 3 mile run over the weekend)
    2/15 - 2.1 miles
    2/16 - PT - rest day
    2/17 - 2.8 miles (PT said I can start adding miles this week) It was 18 degrees at run time 8 degrees as the feel like temp.
    2/18 - I'm a baby and didn't run in the windy snow
    2/19 - 3.5 miles (8F feels like -3F)
    2/20 - 2.1 miles nice windless 18F hip started to hurt at just a little over a mile so I cut short a bit and headed home :frowning:
    2/21 - rest day
    2/22 - 4.5 miles (longest since getting hurt)
    2/23 - PT rest day
    2/24 - 4.5 miles
    2/25 - 4.9 miles yes!
    2/26 - 2.1 miles - Goal!!! I'm so happy to reach my goal and be slowly working my way back to the mileage I was doing before I got hurt. I appreciate everyone's well wishes and support! :heart: I'm especially happy Skip wanted to run with me while I reached goal this month.

40.8 miles out of 40

exercise.png
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Assuming I stay healthy, I'd like to join the March challenge. I do more rowing than running but am beginning to run (again) after several months of not.

I do it on a treadmill though, so for some, it may not be "qualified" miles/time.

Thus far, I've run about 33 miles this month as compared to rowed about 144 miles. Both numbers will go up before Feb is done.
  • fabnine
    Options
    Oops, sorry for the triple post forgot I saw this guy on my run today & had to share him.
    uau4bh0bt3w4.png

@johnsonnelly I'm afraid I'm such a laid back runner I've never followed a training program. I originally set out each day with a goal of running farther than yesterday's distance or finishing the same distance faster. Now I mostly just run to run, when my heads in the right place I feel like I could run forever, that's the feeling I run for.
    Now about barefoot running. I spend most of my life barefoot, so when I started running all of the sudden I had to wear shoes. Running barefoot on hot pavement or through snow is a bad idea, trust me. My feet hate shoes, but my New Balance Minimus shoes are actually my favorite pair. They fit my foot like they were made just for me, they're light as slippers but the Vibram sole with the little rubber circles on the bottom gives me great traction on almost any surface. They're sometimes a bit slippery on smooth wet rocks(not sidewalk or road), but what shoe isn't? I love them for the trails and road runs that are less than 10 miles. They don't have enough cushion for me to comfortably attempt longer road distances, but I've been told my feet will adjust eventually.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    Assuming I stay healthy, I'd like to join the March challenge. I do more rowing than running but am beginning to run (again) after several months of not.

I do it on a treadmill though, so for some, it may not be "qualified" miles/time.

Thus far, I've run about 33 miles this month as compared to rowed about 144 miles. Both numbers will go up before Feb is done.

Running is running