Anyone Trying Whey Protein For Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    You people that are arguing over my post on Whey Protein are a new kind of ridiculous if you read my actual post I wasn't asking for advice I stated "I am interested in following other women who are using it and seeing how the results are working for them" so unless you are a woman and using Whey Protein then your comments are totally irrelevant to this post and just for the record I may be new to MFP but I am in no way new to fitness. I never said there was a magic weight loss pill although Whey isn't a pill and in all regards there are lots of magic weight loss pills they just aren't good for your health. I also stated Whey helps me feel full and I don't have craving anymore so I was looking for WOMEN who have the same result or to see if their result was different after trying it. I'm very sorry I hurt all you men's feelings who take Whey and think your now going to lose weight and have to become defensive. I wasnt talking to you to begin with. Thanks for the support of those who get what I am saying.

Lol. Awwwww, she thinks she sets the rules around here.

You may have stated what you did in your OP but that doesn't negate that you made some pretty frivolous claims.

Also, in for magic weight loss pills.

I didn't know there were rules to even be set around here. I thought I could ask to talk to women about whey without you getting all up in my business. Sad that you can't go on social media without people wanting to argue for no reason and over things that don't affect them at all. Truth be told you're not concerned about this post you simply like to argue as it must make you feel superior in some way. Here's some facts for you and why I am interested in the results of other WOMEN who are trying it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2289832/
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110715/whey-protein-may-be-helpful-for-weight-loss
    The first study funded by the company promoting the product. Seems impartial. Also weight loss was basically the same while muscle "retention" wasn't even 1 lb. More protein helps preserve lbm? Revolutionary. You read all 150 pages?

The second study funded by the diary industry. Once again, very impartial I see. Same results as the first. And if you didn't notice there were men in that study. I thought you only were talking about women?

Don't play the "trying to be superior because I'm a woman" card. Gender does not apply when corrected false claims.

It's obvious to me that you will argue about anything so I am done. The facts are there and thats why I am interested. I am interested on the effects in women because I am a woman although I don't have to explain myself to you. I am not interested however in your nonsense any longer. I have better things to do. Go "try" to pick on someone else I see you do a lot of that in this group by your other post to other people. Get over yourself and move along and get a real life outside of MFP.

This isn't a group, though. It's a public forum. Not sure what you mean you see him do that a lot in the group.

Also, I don't think the insult was necessary, especially as what he's saying in regards to protein is still valid.

I think some great advice for you in this regard, is to stop trying to restrict what information you take away by gender and instead really see what is being said.

I think she was asking for female friends to add who are using the same weight loss technique as she is, so they can compare notes. Kinda like a "anyone else doing keto?" post. Lots of people have gender preferences in friends, it is more about focusing than restricting information. There's just some things that women experience that men don't (and vice versa).
    Thank you and exactly... I was asking if anyone uses Whey Protein just like I would say does anybody eat Healthy Choice. I'm not saying it's a cure all I'm saying I'm finding when I drink one protein shake a day of Isopure first thing when I wake up that I am finding I am less hungry and my cravings have stopped and I am able to take in less calories and still feel good because of that. I don't eat protein shakes all day I'm simply drinking one and adding it to my daily calorie count. I know everybody is not the same so that is why I was asking for people who were doing the same thing as I was just simply interested in their results and wanted to follow them on here and be supportive and see if it was working for them. I also just weighed myself for the week and I lost yet again another 5 lbs using whey protein in my diet so I'm really not here to argue if it will help you with weight loss because I am doing it and it's working. It works for me and I am happy and I am sorry that these people that have started a huge argument over it can't just be happy that something is working for someone else.

If you are consistently losing 5lbs a week you are either extremely overweight or severely restricting your calories which isn't healthy.

Whey doesn't help you magically lose extra weight. As has been reiterated it's just a useful way to increase your protein intake which may make you feel less hungers.

You still need to eat a healthy amount of food.

Someone link the sexypants thread please. I can't I'm on my phone.
    I absolutely understand what you are saying and my calorie intake is around 900-1000 a day. I eat the shake for breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack and I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day oh yeah and my coffee :). I understand that is low for calories but right now I feel perfectly fine there because I am just not hungry because of the Whey (which I was always hungry before the whey) and if I start to not feel fine with those calories I will take in more calories for sure. I'm not afraid of calories I am just not hungry now. My goal of loosing weight isn't that far away but I will continue even after that with the whey because it does help me balance my eating and my cravings. I feel 100% better since I started using it.

Now Iunderstand why you are getting so upset with me for stating facts when you insist on wearing blinders about how things work, you're hungry. 900-1000 calories a day is a terrible idea. There is no way you are getting proper nutrition. Feeling fine is not a good indicator you you are doing things right. 1 moment you feel fine then next you're not. And then you have problems on your hands you could have avoided.

Feel free to get made at me for chiming in again because I'm a man. Like it or not, I'm Right.

Lol ok then.... I'm not hungry as I just stated. I'm a female and I don't need as many calories as you so especially if you lift weights. But I'm done arguing with you. You can feel anyway you want about it. it doesn't change the fact that it is helping me. I don't recommend that people use the same calorie intake as I do. I eat that now because that's what I feel good eating right now and I am sure it will go up eventually but stay maintained. My daily diet includes egg white, grilled chicken, bread, veggies, turkey meat, nuts and fruits etc. I'm not starving and I feel good. I'm so over this whey argument so you have a good day.

Unless you're 4'2 you need more than 900-1000 calories a day.

Since I'm a woman maybe you'll listen to me?

Another woman checking in.... MFP won't recommend anything less than 1,200. I lose at 1,500 calories.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    i :) Yes I use whey protein shakes to up my total protein and I find that keeps my hunger at bay. That was the question right? :)
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    You people that are arguing over my post on Whey Protein are a new kind of ridiculous if you read my actual post I wasn't asking for advice I stated "I am interested in following other women who are using it and seeing how the results are working for them" so unless you are a woman and using Whey Protein then your comments are totally irrelevant to this post and just for the record I may be new to MFP but I am in no way new to fitness. I never said there was a magic weight loss pill although Whey isn't a pill and in all regards there are lots of magic weight loss pills they just aren't good for your health. I also stated Whey helps me feel full and I don't have craving anymore so I was looking for WOMEN who have the same result or to see if their result was different after trying it. I'm very sorry I hurt all you men's feelings who take Whey and think your now going to lose weight and have to become defensive. I wasnt talking to you to begin with. Thanks for the support of those who get what I am saying.

You may have stated what you did in your OP but that doesn't negate that you made some pretty frivolous claims.

I didn't know there were rules to even be set around here. I thought I could ask to talk to women about whey without you getting all up in my business. Sad that you can't go on social media without people wanting to argue for no reason and over things that don't affect them at all. Truth be told you're not concerned about this post you simply like to argue as it must make you feel superior in some way. Here's some facts for you and why I am interested in the results of other WOMEN who are trying it.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110715/whey-protein-may-be-helpful-for-weight-loss
    The first study funded by the company promoting the product. Seems impartial. Also weight loss was basically the same while muscle "retention" wasn't even 1 lb. More protein helps preserve lbm? Revolutionary. You read all 150 pages?

The second study funded by the diary industry. Once again, very impartial I see. Same results as the first. And if you didn't notice there were men in that study. I thought you only were talking about women?

Don't play the "trying to be superior because I'm a woman" card. Gender does not apply when corrected false claims.

It's obvious to me that you will argue about anything so I am done. The facts are there and thats why I am interested. I am interested on the effects in women because I am a woman although I don't have to explain myself to you. I am not interested however in your nonsense any longer. I have better things to do. Go "try" to pick on someone else I see you do a lot of that in this group by your other post to other people. Get over yourself and move along and get a real life outside of MFP.

This isn't a group, though. It's a public forum. Not sure what you mean you see him do that a lot in the group.

Also, I don't think the insult was necessary, especially as what he's saying in regards to protein is still valid.

I think some great advice for you in this regard, is to stop trying to restrict what information you take away by gender and instead really see what is being said.

I think she was asking for female friends to add who are using the same weight loss technique as she is, so they can compare notes. Kinda like a "anyone else doing keto?" post. Lots of people have gender preferences in friends, it is more about focusing than restricting information. There's just some things that women experience that men don't (and vice versa).
    Thank you and exactly... I was asking if anyone uses Whey Protein just like I would say does anybody eat Healthy Choice. I'm not saying it's a cure all I'm saying I'm finding when I drink one protein shake a day of Isopure first thing when I wake up that I am finding I am less hungry and my cravings have stopped and I am able to take in less calories and still feel good because of that. I don't eat protein shakes all day I'm simply drinking one and adding it to my daily calorie count. I know everybody is not the same so that is why I was asking for people who were doing the same thing as I was just simply interested in their results and wanted to follow them on here and be supportive and see if it was working for them. I also just weighed myself for the week and I lost yet again another 5 lbs using whey protein in my diet so I'm really not here to argue if it will help you with weight loss because I am doing it and it's working. It works for me and I am happy and I am sorry that these people that have started a huge argument over it can't just be happy that something is working for someone else.

If you are consistently losing 5lbs a week you are either extremely overweight or severely restricting your calories which isn't healthy.

Whey doesn't help you magically lose extra weight. As has been reiterated it's just a useful way to increase your protein intake which may make you feel less hungers.

I absolutely understand what you are saying and my calorie intake is around 900-1000 a day. I eat the shake for breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack and I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day oh yeah and my coffee :). I understand that is low for calories but right now I feel perfectly fine there because I am just not hungry because of the Whey (which I was always hungry before the whey) and if I start to not feel fine with those calories I will take in more calories for sure. I'm not afraid of calories I am just not hungry now. My goal of loosing weight isn't that far away but I will continue even after that with the whey because it does help me balance my eating and my cravings. I feel 100% better since I started using it.

Now Iunderstand why you are getting so upset with me for stating facts when you insist on wearing blinders about how things work, you're hungry. 900-1000 calories a day is a terrible idea. There is no way you are getting proper nutrition. Feeling fine is not a good indicator you you are doing things right. 1 moment you feel fine then next you're not. And then you have problems on your hands you could have avoided.

Feel free to get made at me for chiming in again because I'm a man. Like it or not, I'm Right.

Lol ok then.... I'm not hungry as I just stated. I'm a female and I don't need as many calories as you so especially if you lift weights. But I'm done arguing with you. You can feel anyway you want about it. it doesn't change the fact that it is helping me. I don't recommend that people use the same calorie intake as I do. I eat that now because that's what I feel good eating right now and I am sure it will go up eventually but stay maintained. My daily diet includes egg white, grilled chicken, bread, veggies, turkey meat, nuts and fruits etc. I'm not starving and I feel good. I'm so over this whey argument so you have a good day.

Pay attention to how many women have told you whey doesn't do what you claim. Also pay attention to how many women come in here and tell you the caloric intake you've chosen is dumb. You can disregard the advice a man gives you because he's a man but that's ignorant. You think the only readings, research, application and analyzing I don't is on myself, a man? Come on now.

You can say you feel good now and that you're doing everything right. But you wouldn't be the first woman to say that here and be wrong.

I never said that this was a good calorie intake. I agreed with the person above and said I understood that. I am well aware it is below what I should have. I am not arguing that point with you at all and I'm just not hungry but I know I will be that's why I said it will go up. My point is whey is making me not hungry. Before whey my calories intake was 2,000 or over a day but that's why I am so interested in whey because I would have never lost this weight without taking it. I have a micro preemie in my home who has health issues with failure to thrive so everything in my house has been calorie dense food to try to help her gain weight. I get hungry and I eat her food to because that's what's on hand it it looks good. But since I started using whey I can totally make her food for her and not be hungry and want to eat it with her. Everyone comes from a different place and things work differently for everyone. As I said I'm not saying a low calorie intake is good I'm just saying whey is really curving my appetite and I find it interesting and that's it.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options

The thing that irks me the most is the continuous capitalization of Whey Protein as if it's a proper noun. And welcome to the MFP forums! Where your original topic will be irrelevant by the 2nd page of comments. :p This post is great though, good work.
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    i :) Yes I use whey protein shakes to up my total protein and I find that keeps my hunger at bay. That was the question right? :)
    Yes and that is great to know! Thank you for your response :)
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It's funny how "normal" this is. I use whey protein, eat mostly whole foods at a deficit and bust my tail in the gym... and my family who sees all of this will give credit to the whey protein like it did all the work.

They don't want to hear about the deficit.. they just want the whey protein to be their easy fix.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    In............ for magic processed fast food Whey protons
  • fawlty70
    fawlty70 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "I will flat out tell ya that I ingested in total calories much more than BMR plus activity in losing 50#. "

Congratulations, you just invented a new law of physics. ;)
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options

Pay attention to how many women have told you whey doesn't do what you claim. Also pay attention to how many women come in here and tell you the caloric intake you've chosen is dumb. You can disregard the advice a man gives you because he's a man but that's ignorant. You think the only readings, research, application and analyzing I don't is on myself, a man? Come on now.

You can say you feel good now and that you're doing everything right. But you wouldn't be the first woman to say that here and be wrong.

I never said that this was a good calorie intake. I agreed with the person above and said I understood that. I am well aware it is below what I should have. I am not arguing that point with you at all and I'm just not hungry but I know I will be that's why I said it will go up. My point is whey is making me not hungry. Before whey my calories intake was 2,000 or over a day but that's why I am so interested in whey because I would have never lost this weight without taking it. I have a micro preemie in my home who has health issues with failure to thrive so everything in my house has been calorie dense food to try to help her gain weight. I get hungry and I eat her food to because that's what's on hand it it looks good. But since I started using whey I can totally make her food for her and not be hungry and want to eat it with her. Everyone comes from a different place and things work differently for everyone. As I said I'm not saying a low calorie intake is good I'm just saying whey is really curving my appetite and I find it interesting and that's it.

You what???

Let's see, you say you would eat 2000 calories and didn't lose weight but now you're eating 900-1000 but using Whey protein but it's the protein that is responsible for the weight loss. Not the caloric deficit?

Your not listening. Of course it the caloric deficit but the reason I am taking in less calories is because I drink one whey protein shake first thing in the morning and it is curving my appetite so I am eating less. Eating less equal weight loss. Whey makes me eat less.
  • fawlty70
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It works for me and I am happy and I am sorry that these people that have started a huge argument over it can't just be happy that something is working for someone else.

Odd statement. You were the one that started the huge argument by saying everyone that didn't agree with you were wrong.

It sounds to me, as many others have said, that the whey protein reduces your hunger/need to eat, which causes you to have a net calorie deficit. That is great (fiber does the same for me). That doesn't mean that the whey protein itself has properties that burns calories.

EDIT: I don't know why this was the time I decided to post in this forum. I really don't need to argue with anyone. Good luck on your weight loss! I have been thinking of trying the whey protein supplements myself (I've lost most of the weight I needed to lose, but need to build muscle). Your post actually made me want to do so, even though it didn't come through in my response. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

You what???

Let's see, you say you would eat 2000 calories and didn't lose weight but now you're eating 900-1000 but using Whey protein but it's the protein that is responsible for the weight loss. Not the caloric deficit?

lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options
    fawlty70 wrote: »
    It works for me and I am happy and I am sorry that these people that have started a huge argument over it can't just be happy that something is working for someone else.

Odd statement. You were the one that started the huge argument by saying everyone that didn't agree with you were wrong.

It sounds to me, as many others have said, that the whey protein reduces your hunger/need to eat, which causes you to have a net calorie deficit. That is great (fiber does the same for me). That doesn't mean that the whey protein itself has properties that burns calories.
    ^^^^ that's exactly what I am saying it reduces my hunger so I take in less calories and I lose weight. I never said whey burns calories
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

You what???

Your not listening. Of course it the caloric deficit but the reason I am taking in less calories is because I drink one whey protein shake first thing in the morning and it is curving my appetite so I am eating less. Eating less equal weight loss. Whey makes me eat less.

Ingesting more protein leaves you feel less hungry, do you think that only applies to women?

latest?cb=20121105211921
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options

You what???

Ingesting more protein leaves you feel less hungry, do you think that only applies to women?
    Oh my goodness you found something new to argue about. You must really like wasting your day away with me... How cute
  • fawlty70
    Options

^^^^ that's exactly what I am saying it reduces my hunger so I take in less calories and I lose weight. I never said whey burns calories

I think it was your statement in one of the first posts that whey protein "revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up" that got people a bit peeved.

Glad you are on your way (whey? :p) to your goal weight and feeling good. MFP has been a great tool for me.
  • SoThisIsthe40s
    Options

I think it was your statement in one of the first posts that whey protein "revs up your metabolism and there is research that backs that up" that got people a bit peeved.

Glad you are on your way (whey? :p) to your goal weight and feeling good. MFP has been a great tool for me.

Thanks! All I can testify to myself is that it makes me less hungry. I only said other because I read it in an article. I didn't know it was going to upset anyone just looking for others opinions that were doing the same. I like MFP except this thread haha! It's a great way to keep track of things :)