Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I confess that even though I have very little money to spare this week, I'd very much like to go shopping for some new workout clothes because I know they'll make me feel better about my body and my progress thus far. I'm fully aware of how sad it is that I have to rely on material goods to make me feel better about my progress, but I've been struggling a lot lately.

It really helps, when you manage to fit in smaller sizes and it actually looks good!

I confess that I'm struggling hard today to keep my deficit (which I have to do to make up for the 1400 extra calories I had yesterday). I just had baby carrots and will have to switch my tortilla for some lettuce for tonight tacos. I REALLY wish I could go back to where my appetite was 2 years ago. It was so much easier to stick to 1700 calories then... and now it's a struggle to even do 2000! Nobody ever told me that would happen with weight loss.

I also confess that I have no idea how I'm going to be able to wait until my mom comes back from her day trip to make dinner (especially as I have no idea when she'll actually get here).
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I confess that even though I have very little money to spare this week, I'd very much like to go shopping for some new workout clothes because I know they'll make me feel better about my body and my progress thus far. I'm fully aware of how sad it is that I have to rely on material goods to make me feel better about my progress, but I've been struggling a lot lately.

Wow, you have made amazing progress! Not sure where you are, but the Xersion brand of workout wear at JC Penny is reasonably priced (look at the clearance racks first) and Danskin at Wal-Mart is also good. Definitely get some form fitting workout gear (such as in your picture) that makes you feel great. You deserve it!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Confession: I'm pretty proud of myself today. My meal prepping and food intake have been all over the place in the last couple of months, and not having prepped meals has only made it worse. Depression and stress kept me from caring enough to do meal prep, and even when I defrosted meats and such to cook them, I didn't and ended up losing a lot of good food when it went bad. :-/

Which brings me to today. I baked and separated 1.5 kilos of chicken breast into 100 gram baggies and froze them, and baked two sets of vegetarian chickpea burger patties (6 per set) and froze those as well. Meal prep is happening again, and I'm happy about it! :)

That is great! I am glad you are feeling better. I wish I could motivate myself to cook... I spend so much $ eating out ALL THE TIME. The only thing I make at home is my protein shake or I heat up soup. My refrigerator is literally empty, and my cabinets are full of progresso soup and protein bars.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I started gymnastics classes three weeks ago. I'm a 38 year old male. I now ache all the time! In my smallish town the next oldest gymnastics student is 17.

That is cool! I have thought about starting ballet but figured I would be the only one over 4' in the class! Good for you! I also cannot do any kind of gymnastics. I literally don't bend! Sooooo inflexible. Sucks.
    I hear you on the inflexible. Me at yoga is hilarious.
    I would quite like to do a martial arts class, but it always seems to be lots of 6 year-olds when I've taken my boys.

Some places have mixed classes specifically for parents and kids to go together. Maybe yours has something like that?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    I know that this isn't exactly the place for it, but since everyone has been so supportive about my confessions of depression and anxiety, I thought I'd share a poem that I wrote about it a while back. I hope nobody minds. :)

Thanks for sharing. I can also relate to this.

I haven't written on here in a few days since I'm going through some hard times as well.

I hope everyone is doing okay! (Oh I've still been reading-just not posting much).

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. :( I've had a terrible last few days, but I feel like I've perked up some today. I'm almost back to normal, and it feels so liberating and just amazing! That "depression is receding" feeling is such a relief, and I'm hoping you feel it soon. :) Sending you good vibes and lots of support. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    @crosbylee I'm so sorry about your friend.

@Italian_Buju I can't even imagine what you went through, my heart breaks for you. And I hope your degu gets better.

@pofoster21 What a heartbreaking story as well. So sorry

Here's a confession: My husband plays games on his iPad. His newest game is Hay Day where you virtually take care of a farm. He was gone this weekend and I picked up his iPad to look something up and an alert said "your farm animals miss you" I decided I had to look in on them. I am now hooked on Hay Day. I feel ridiculous when I play and super ridiculous admitting it.

Edited: Because I didn't want to forget anyone

I'm completely addicted to Hay Day myself. I'm on level 54 now, and I've been playing for almost a year, multiple times daily! ;)

My husband teases me about it, and whenever I have my face stuck in my tab, he'll go... "Checking on your chickens again, huh?"

No need to feel ridiculous, it's an awesome stress-reliever since it's so... Brainless? Kind of like coloring for me, both are destressors. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I don't know how long my husband has been playing it but he's on level 20 or 21. I checked on it this morning and almost didn't get my workout in, smh. But the good news is, I'm not mindless eating after I put my daughter to bed, I'm harvesting my crops. Still..smh

When I wake up to pray my first prayer of the day (at dawn) I tend to pick up my phone and start playing it after I pray, instead of going back to sleep. Next thing I know, the sun is up and it's time to get up, but I want to sleep more after losing two solid hours (that I could have spent sleeping) playing the game and then checking this thread! :o

For Curiosity's sake I must know when are the prayers times?

They follow the sun. For clarity, I'll give you their names first: Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. :)

In the winter, I can expect Fajr to be around 5:30 AM. Currently, it's at 3:15 AM. Fajr is the prayer that's called when the first thread of light rises over the horizon and the sky begins to lighten, and the prayer time ends as soon as the sun begins to rise.

Dhuhr is the noon prayer, which is prayed right after the sun has reached its zenith, or its highest peak in the sky. The time for Dhuhr ends when the time for Asr begins. Dhuhr is around 11:30 AM right now.

Asr time begins when the sun is at a certain position in the sky (not too sure how to explain it), and can basically be measured by the time of day when the length of the shadow of a given object is equal to the length of the object itself. Asr time ends when the sun begins to turn orange-ish, but before it starts to set. At the moment, Asr prayers begin around 3:10 PM.

Maghrib time begins as soon as the sun has set completely, but the afterglow is still visible. Maghrib time ends when the afterglow is completely gone, which is when the Isha prayer begins. Maghrib currently falls at 6:30 PM in Saudi Arabia.

Isha prayer lasts until the midway point between dusk and dawn, so currently at 10:45 PM. :)

Thank you for explaining! I've always wondered but never knew how to properly bring it up without being offensive, errr if I offended you. SORRY! :)

Don't apologize! The reason so many people know so little about Islam is because they're so afraid of offending Muslims by asking. :o You're welcome to ask anything that you'd like to know, and I'm always glad to share information. The more we know about each other's cultures, religions, and customs, the less hate there would be between us all, don't you agree? :)

I agree whole heartedly! I'm always curious about world religions, I grew up Roman Catholic so our traditions are pretty basic in my opinion haha.
    I feel like part of the problem is this whole fear mongering situation with ISIS etc BUT I won't open that can of worms :)

I get so mad when it comes to ISIS and their un-Islamic, evil, twisted form of ruling. They're what the world immediately thinks of when the word "Muslim" comes up nowadays AND I HATE THAT SO MUCH. :'( And I have to admit that I bear a hefty amount of resentment towards the Saudi government for the same reason... All idiots, and all representing the millions and millions of Muslims worldwide. Just so.. UGH. -_-

You. I respect. You're so correct!

And I'm not even a liberal Muslim! ;) (I hate that term) But seriously, I feel like everyone thinks that only the so-called liberal Muslims think that ISIS are evil. :-/ My mother-in-law is a Deen (Islamic Studies) teacher, and she knows they're evil and condemns them. My sister is an extremely religious Muslim who covers her face, and she knows it, too, and condemns them. I'm a fully practicing, covering Muslim and I condemn them with every iota of my being, along with any other act of terrorism. Muslims aren't evil, and it makes me sad that so many people don't know that almost exclusively because of stupid ISIS and the idiotic Saudi government. :(

Star fact: ISIS is now blowing up Muslim mosques here in Saudi Arabia. The one they tried to blow up last Friday is thirty minutes away from my house. Because apparently they don't like their definition of Islam. :-/

That has to be so frightening for you sometimes. Be safe!

It's horribly scary to me, because my husband attends Friday prayers at the mosque every week. :( So far, they've blown up one mosque and two guys died keeping the suicide bomber out of the one they attempted last Friday, saving everyone else in the process.

We're being as safe as we can! :)
  • Oberon21
    Options

@Italian_Buju I can't even imagine what you went through, my heart breaks for you. And I hope your degu gets better.

Here's a confession: My husband plays games on his iPad. His newest game is Hay Day where you virtually take care of a farm. He was gone this weekend and I picked up his iPad to look something up and an alert said "your farm animals miss you" I decided I had to look in on them. I am now hooked on Hay Day. I feel ridiculous when I play and super ridiculous admitting it.

I'm completely addicted to Hay Day myself. I'm on level 54 now, and I've been playing for almost a year, multiple times daily! ;)

My husband teases me about it, and whenever I have my face stuck in my tab, he'll go... "Checking on your chickens again, huh?"

No need to feel ridiculous, it's an awesome stress-reliever since it's so... Brainless? Kind of like coloring for me, both are destressors. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks, that makes me feel better! I don't know how long my husband has been playing it but he's on level 20 or 21. I checked on it this morning and almost didn't get my workout in, smh. But the good news is, I'm not mindless eating after I put my daughter to bed, I'm harvesting my crops. Still..smh

When I wake up to pray my first prayer of the day (at dawn) I tend to pick up my phone and start playing it after I pray, instead of going back to sleep. Next thing I know, the sun is up and it's time to get up, but I want to sleep more after losing two solid hours (that I could have spent sleeping) playing the game and then checking this thread! :o

They follow the sun. For clarity, I'll give you their names first: Fajr, Dhuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha. :)

In the winter, I can expect Fajr to be around 5:30 AM. Currently, it's at 3:15 AM. Fajr is the prayer that's called when the first thread of light rises over the horizon and the sky begins to lighten, and the prayer time ends as soon as the sun begins to rise.

Dhuhr is the noon prayer, which is prayed right after the sun has reached its zenith, or its highest peak in the sky. The time for Dhuhr ends when the time for Asr begins. Dhuhr is around 11:30 AM right now.

Asr time begins when the sun is at a certain position in the sky (not too sure how to explain it), and can basically be measured by the time of day when the length of the shadow of a given object is equal to the length of the object itself. Asr time ends when the sun begins to turn orange-ish, but before it starts to set. At the moment, Asr prayers begin around 3:10 PM.

Maghrib time begins as soon as the sun has set completely, but the afterglow is still visible. Maghrib time ends when the afterglow is completely gone, which is when the Isha prayer begins. Maghrib currently falls at 6:30 PM in Saudi Arabia.

Isha prayer lasts until the midway point between dusk and dawn, so currently at 10:45 PM. :)

An additional confession, I am completely ignorant of the world. I don't know much about religions, I don't pay attention to politics, I have no idea what is going on with the news, and I know next to nothing about Isis (except they blow things up and kill people). I literally have no idea when terrible things are happening in the world, as I don't read the newspaper, don't watch tv, don't pay attention to the news. It infuriates my mother that I won't vote, but I always say I won't vote when I am ignorant of the issues.

I have 3 advanced degrees, working on my 4th one, but I pay zero attention to the world. I know its shameful but I am not interested enough to change it. :(

I focus on my industry, my horses, reading and my job. Maybe one day my eyes will open and I'll become interested. Maybe. Until then I am deplorably ignorant and shallow.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I never thought about samples! I love you. Is that weird?!

Not weird at all! I kinda needed some extra love today anyway!

Awww...sending some your way!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Confession: I'm pretty proud of myself today. My meal prepping and food intake have been all over the place in the last couple of months, and not having prepped meals has only made it worse. Depression and stress kept me from caring enough to do meal prep, and even when I defrosted meats and such to cook them, I didn't and ended up losing a lot of good food when it went bad. :-/

Which brings me to today. I baked and separated 1.5 kilos of chicken breast into 100 gram baggies and froze them, and baked two sets of vegetarian chickpea burger patties (6 per set) and froze those as well. Meal prep is happening again, and I'm happy about it! :)

That is great! I am glad you are feeling better. I wish I could motivate myself to cook... I spend so much $ eating out ALL THE TIME. The only thing I make at home is my protein shake or I heat up soup. My refrigerator is literally empty, and my cabinets are full of progresso soup and protein bars.

I'm lucky in the fact that I LOVE to cook, especially when I'm trying new recipes. It's only when I'm depressed that I just don't want to do anything, and that includes cooking.

However, I'm unlucky in the fact that I also love to bake, since I can't seem to stop eating my baked goods! ;) Seriously, my dream job would be as a baker who gets to be left to her own devices to make whatever she wants, because I love to be creative and experiment with recipes after I've gotten a good feel for them! Since baking recipes are super-sensitive to any changes you might make, and you have to balance out each change, and there's such a narrow margin for success, the challenge of making a successful new recipe just keeps me loving it and always wanting to try something new. :)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Today's confession: As you all might know (due to all the food-related confessions I've been dumping in here...), I've gained quite a bit of weight over my low weight since March. I've gained about 10 kilos, to put a number on it, and I'm just getting back on the wagon. :-/

So, after two days eating under my goal, here's how today's weigh-in went: I went to pee (of course), then hopped on the scale in my underclothes. I got a 70.0 and I thought to myself, "I am SO CLOSE to breaking into the 60s again!" This in mind, I became a little bit desperate. So, I turned to my husband and said... "You know what? I'm going to try to pee some more."

He, of course, stared at me like I was crazy. "How in the world do you pee some more?!" I ignored him and went to attempt it, not that it was particularly successful... Is this TMI? ;)

Afterwards, I stripped down and weighed without my underclothes to get rid of every gram of extra weight that I could possibly shed. The scale was kind and measured me at 69.9. So then I go... "YAY! I BROKE INTO THE SIXTIES AGAIN! BOOYAH!" ;) It counts, right?

It 100% does! I weigh myself with nothing but my glasses on and that's just because I can't see the scale without them. :smiley:

I weigh myself with my glasses off, then step off the scale and put them back on to read it. >:) My scale keeps the reading on the screen for at least five minutes, so I can get away with not wearing my glasses. I'm sure they'd add TONS of weight to the reading, like... 40 whole grams or something! ;)

I weigh myself with my bracelet on and nothing else. AFTER determining my bracelet weighs .2 ounces. Which I always subtract!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

An additional confession, I am completely ignorant of the world. I don't know much about religions, I don't pay attention to politics, I have no idea what is going on with the news, and I know next to nothing about Isis (except they blow things up and kill people). I literally have no idea when terrible things are happening in the world, as I don't read the newspaper, don't watch tv, don't pay attention to the news. It infuriates my mother that I won't vote, but I always say I won't vote when I am ignorant of the issues.

I have 3 advanced degrees, working on my 4th one, but I pay zero attention to the world. I know its shameful but I am not interested enough to change it. :(

I focus on my industry, my horses, reading and my job. Maybe one day my eyes will open and I'll become interested. Maybe. Until then I am deplorably ignorant and shallow.

I'm the same, but only because it's horribly triggering to my depression and my anxiety. I can't stomach the news or world events, and I usually get watered down versions from my husband when big things happen, since he's pretty much a news fiend and reads it several times a day. Sometimes, when I cave and read the news about something that everyone is talking about, it'll keep me up at night for days. :-/

I know next to nothing about politics, too. :) I have an American passport, but I've never voted and never plan to, either. I don't know who or why or what or how to pick a leader or senator or... Whatever you're supposed to be picking. It's quite funny, because my mom's family (Americans) are hugely into politics--her niece actually was part of Obama's "election team"? Is that what it's called? Whatever. ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Today's confession: As you all might know (due to all the food-related confessions I've been dumping in here...), I've gained quite a bit of weight over my low weight since March. I've gained about 10 kilos, to put a number on it, and I'm just getting back on the wagon. :-/

So, after two days eating under my goal, here's how today's weigh-in went: I went to pee (of course), then hopped on the scale in my underclothes. I got a 70.0 and I thought to myself, "I am SO CLOSE to breaking into the 60s again!" This in mind, I became a little bit desperate. So, I turned to my husband and said... "You know what? I'm going to try to pee some more."

He, of course, stared at me like I was crazy. "How in the world do you pee some more?!" I ignored him and went to attempt it, not that it was particularly successful... Is this TMI? ;)

Afterwards, I stripped down and weighed without my underclothes to get rid of every gram of extra weight that I could possibly shed. The scale was kind and measured me at 69.9. So then I go... "YAY! I BROKE INTO THE SIXTIES AGAIN! BOOYAH!" ;) It counts, right?

It 100% does! I weigh myself with nothing but my glasses on and that's just because I can't see the scale without them. :smiley:

I weigh myself with my glasses off, then step off the scale and put them back on to read it. >:) My scale keeps the reading on the screen for at least five minutes, so I can get away with not wearing my glasses. I'm sure they'd add TONS of weight to the reading, like... 40 whole grams or something! ;)

I weigh myself with my bracelet on and nothing else. AFTER determining my bracelet weighs .2 ounces. Which I always subtract!

I take off my wedding ring, necklace (if I'm wearing one), glasses, and even hair-ties when I'm desperate for a good weigh-in! I joked to my husband today that I should have clipped my nails, shaved my legs, and blown my nose before weighing again... ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options

I agree. I do stuff like that all the time. Remember the confession of the woman who had her husband hold her breasts so she could see what she weighed without them. I thought that was hysterical too, and if I a) had a husband or boyfriend and b) my breasts weighed more than a paperclip, I would totally do the same thing. Whatever makes it happen!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wanted to throw my two cents in re GoT. I loved the books and the series does not do it justice. I refused to watch the series for three seasons but then hubby (who hasn't read the books) said it was time. I am livid that story lines are being left out and, in the case of this season, are being changed all together. But I guess you have to make concessions when you are trying to cram a 700 page book into 10 one hour episodes.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Confession: I made vanilla-flavored pudding pops today with Jell-O instant pudding and milk. I've made them before with the lemon flavored jell-O and yogurt, and they were AWESOME.

Anyhow, I'm so excited to try them that I logged one in my leftover calories yesterday since I didn't have the calories to spare today (I had 100 calories left at the end of the day, and they're only 50 each!), and I'm about to have it right now... At midnight. ;)

Other confession: Dear Lord, I talk a lot. This page is practically all me... :o I must be feeling better, since my run-on mouth is working again! In keyboard form, anyhow. ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    This morning I was able to put on a shirt that previously was tight. I was super stoked that it was loose and hung straight down from my chest without clinging to my hips or rear end. Then I became depressed because it seriously occurred to me that I've been trying to look like Sponge Bob square pants and walk like a robot my whole life. My mother told me that only *kitten* showed their hips and my step-father told me that only fat slutty *kitten* wiggled when they walked.

I don't wear red either. Even though I love red and I look awesome in red. I am pale skinned, with dark hair and green eyes. I look spectacular in red and I can't wear it because only sluts wear red. I am now upset and pissed off because I know even if I were to buy something that clings in red I probably wouldn't be able to wear it out of the house. I'd be afraid everyone was staring at me for the wrong reasons. I feel pathetic. :/

I'm thinking you should try to get past this with baby steps... a little splash of colour here and there to start, some mildly wiggle-generating mid-height heels... and work your way up.

My mother held the odd notion that "only widows wear black" but fortunately that didn't get passed on to me and I wear a lot of black. Oh, and when I was a teen somebody told her that only sluts wear big earrings. That was her one and only piece of advice to me upon starting high school. Lol. (I just put them on after I left the house)

I've never been much for wearing bright colours or fancy patterns since I've always preferred to fade into the background, but I've slowly been adding more vibrant clothes into my wardrobe.

Yes, that is pretty much what I do. Pretty much all of my clothing is a shade of black or grey with some blue jeans thrown in.

I was raised the same way. And talk about double messages - this was in a family where I can guarantee that my mother would collapse into hysterics if she thought I might possibly approach a weight over 100 pounds in high school. This stuff is absolutely freaking psychosis-inducing =P

I can only say that after gradually shedding a lot of the idiocy that had gotten shoved into my poor brain, I finally came around to firmly believing that every woman should own at least one blazing red dress and a good pair of "f*** me" pumps. And then wear 'em for YOURSELF - without regard to anybody else's dumb beliefs or stereotypes.

Good lord. I'm surprised sometimes that so many of us get through this life to turn out as basically sane, basically decent human beings - we get so much toxic crap thrown at us.

Amen! And I'm sorry for all the struggles everyone has endured regarding this topic. One correction, though: ONE pair of f*** pumps?! Oh, honey, I have a closet full of them! Worn with my discreet, professional clothes every day I get lots of use out of all of them and they make me feel fabulous!

ME TOO! I have nearly 300 pairs of shoes (I have mentioned my shopping addiction right) and have a ton of what I call 'hooker shoes'. I wear them to work all the time. Make me feel fabulous! Again...some things you just have to do for yourself!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I wanted to throw my two cents in re GoT. I loved the books and the series does not do it justice. I refused to watch the series for three seasons but then hubby (who hasn't read the books) said it was time. I am livid that story lines are being left out and, in the case of this season, are being changed all together. But I guess you have to make concessions when you are trying to cram a 700 page book into 10 one hour episodes.

If I read a particular book, I will never, ever watch a movie or show relating to it. If I read a manga, I refuse to watch the anime for it. If I watch a drama, I refuse to read the manga or the anime... And so on. I can only handle one version of everything, because for me every other version after the first I've seen/read is WRONGWRONGWRONG! ;)
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anyone got any good ideas for roasted Yukon gold potatoes? Making burgers and I need something to go with but I don't want anything fried since I only have about 200ish calories left for the day.

I'm a big fan of olive oil, garlic, rosemary (fresh if you have it - I have a little pot of it that grows year round), salt and pepper on my potatoes. Cube, toss in seasonings, bake, eat. If turning my oven on just for these, I prefer a hotter oven (425-450ish for 20-ish minutes), but if I'm cooking something else that needs to be at a different temp, it's fine, just will take a little longer.

ETA: Please don't bake them for 200 minutes. That would be a fire hazard.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm glad a few of you are with me on the phonetics/accents/etc - it's so fun to listen to the differences.

And the TV stuff too - I get made fun of lots in my house because I PVR stuff like "Too Cute" which is literally just an hour of litters of puppies doing cute things while a baritone narrator says things like "Labrador Retrievers love water, but at 5 weeks old, runt of the litter Stanley is still not sure about the feeling of water under his paws. His sister Susie gives him a helping push into their very own puppy-sized swimming pool." I am an adult and I read a lot of Serious Literature and am politically-aware and am not generally subject to arrested development...but I JUST LIKE BABY ANIMALS A LOT OKAY?

Well, I'm even older and have a really serious job and all that... and I know what I'll be recording on the PVR about 30 seconds after I get in the door tonight.

Litters of puppies doing cute things is right up my alley.

Alright I thought @peleroja had a typo when she used PVR but here it is again...so what is PVR? Is that the Canadian version of our DVR? Hm!

I guess it must be... not even completely sure what the acronym stands for... Personal Video Recorder maybe?
  • Oberon21
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    It is almost midnight and I am waiting for my son to get home from work so I can go to bed.

The sad dad stories really got to me today.

When my dad died he was shoveling the drive way and had a heart attack. A neighbor found him. He drove me to school that morning (I was 15), when he did not pick me up, I called, and a cop answered the phone and told me he had died and to come home right away. I actually told the cop that he usually picked me up from school at the other end of town, and I did not know how to get home. His reply was that they would be there when I got there.

I ran back in the school and had a teacher drive me home. Later that day, when I went outside, his hat, eye glasses, blood and vomit were all over the drive way.

At the funeral, in true 'mother' style, she caused a big scene and picked him up out of the casket....I will never forget the crude autopsy scar on the back of his head.

I do not think I will ever fully get over that.

My best girlfriend died two and a half years ago, that was the hardest death I have dealt with other than my father's. Death really sucks!

My rodent is looking rather poor today....he is so skinny and was making a funny noise today when I was holding him. He spends all day in a puff ball in his cage with his head down, this is also what the other one did in the days before he died....I do not think it is gonna be much longer now....I am heartbroken.

On a better note, my sister and her family are coming to visit next month. They live in Indy and I only see them once every couple years......

I am sorry about your dad. That was really rough.

Are you SURE it's not time to euthanize your Degu? Ease his passage to another life?

I was thinking about that last night.....I just do not know what to do...he has periods of time where other than being skinny he seems like he is gonna be fine....and I am so scared to do something like that if he has any chance at all of making it.

This morning when I first got up to make lunch for my son, he was chewing on some wood and even got in his wheel (only for a moment though).....now he is laying down in a corner and did not even get up when I moved his cage back into the living room, which is unusual....I was scared to check if he was breathing, but he is.....

I go back and forth.....half the time I am freaking out and thinking he is ready to go anytime, and then other half the time I think he looks ok......right now I am freaking out, esp as I am ready to leave for work shortly.....

Sorry to hear that you;re going through this. It is tough when you don't know what to do.

For what it's worth, (and this is hard for me to put out there), our cat Sonja had a good 17 year life, she was like a child to my wife. She had all kinds of problems towards the end (CKD, diabetes) and we were pokng her to check her blood sugar, giving her subcutaneous fluids daily, etc. etc. She was happy for another year or so.

But then her blood sugar dropped & she went into a seizure...she recovered but was in pretty bad shape after that, but she got around, ate & we thought she was hanging in there. About 3 months later, we were going have her go to sleep, but we chickened out...and then she had one horrible night. Didn't kill her, but she was clearly in pain.

We sent her off to the fields of Elysium the next morning, but my wife still tears up about that last night. We really wish we had let her go sooner.

Sigh, I feel like the harbinger of bad stories but I did this twice with 2 separate cats. I kept thinking as long as they were eating they were OK, right? Then one of my cats (Quasi...God, I loved that cat) I came home and he couldn't even really walk. I had had to lock him in my kitchen for weeks because he could no longer control his bladder. I had most of the house covered in those wee wee pads but it had just gotten so bad. When I had to lock him up I should have put him down. He was so lonely in there. I would just go in and sit with him. I put saddle pads down as he love to sleep in the saddle pads (I assume he liked the horse smell). Then with Othello, he was having issues, I had to keep having these procedures done on him, I had brought him to the vet to be put to sleep, he was so bad, and they talked me into doing this one more time. They clearly f'd it up, and he was in such pain, he couldn't walk. I took him home and he laid on my chest all night while I petted him and he was clearly in pain and nearly crippled. I got up to go to the bathroom, and he tried to follow me and fell off the bed. I was at the vet the next day when they opened and when they tried to say he was perking up, I stopped them dead and told them to put him to sleep. It was awful.

That is one of the reasons I put Oberon down when I did. He was clearly struggling, and I told my trainer and my vet they needed to say when, keeping him alive at that point was only keeping him alive for me, not for him. So we made the decision. As you know I am still heartbroken over it, but it was the right decision, even though he in so many way was still Oberon. Okay, and now I am crying again... I need to stick with shallow confessions.