Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

If you want to know what a rural Canadian accent sounds like...

http://youtu.be/F-glHAzXi_M[/embed]

I call that one the "Trailer Park Boys accent". Thanks for sharing. :)

Rural Manitoba is a little more "nasally" sounding to me.

And I've never said "aboot" for about in my life.

I always thought it sounded more like "aboat" anyway. ;)

Being with my Canadian best friend rubbed off on me a lot, she didn't say aboot, but I still -almost 20 years later - catch myself saying "sorey' instead of "sorry".

Lol, you Americans don't say "sorry", you say "saawh-ry"...it's the easiest way I know to identify an American accent quickly ;) Also "lobby" sounds like "laawh-by" to me when Americans say it - it's those "o"s that are the giveaway because they're a lot flatter, closer to an "a" and further away from the almost-long-"o" sound that Canadians usually use for those words. In Vegas last weekend the elevator voice in our hotel made me giggle every time because of the way it pronounced "law-by floor".

Sorry for the essay on this one, but I find this stuff really interesting, obviously. I'm a singer and I love dissecting phonetics and vowel pronunciations in different languages and accents - I totally get excited over weird dipthongs and stuff, haha.

I'm going to admit that I really don't get Friends. I watched it when it was first airing and it was mildly amusing, but whenever I see reruns now I'm not at all compelled to keep watching. They really don't seem to have aged that well for me and I just don't find them that funny. Seinfeld, even though it's older, is still more funny to me despite its age.

I have terrible taste in TV though...I don't really watch many scripted shows at all anymore. I've tried to get into all the big critically-acclaimed dramas like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, but I always end up losing interest and shutting them off. I think it's because I don't like TV to make me feel terrible, and all those shows are pretty much sad ALL THE TIME. I can handle sad movies and books but not season after season of pain and misery. So I watch, like...shows about puppies on Animal Planet, and the Food Network, and all those terrible bride shows on TLC while I'm cooking dinner or as background when I'm reading a book, and that's sufficiently entertaining, but I almost never just sit down and watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Me neither. It always seems a bit laboured to me. Sorry to all those who love it.
    I like comedy that's fast moving and mean. I love stuff like Veep where they're all horrible - probably why I prefer Seinfeld, although the laughter track makes it almost unwatchable. Also, UK Office > US Office.

Hehehe - I'm a communication professor and an assignment I've done before is to have students watch a old sitcom that has a laugh track, and they have to count the number of times the laugh track is used and laugh along with the track (in addition to other things - purpose is to show how media content is designed to elicit different emotional responses). I love reading responses to that assignment (in probably a slightly evil way) when they get rather annoyed by the laugh track - "Why do they use it so much - that joke wasn't even funny?!?"

Do you show them the other side of it, too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYZQ29EsPg
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

Being with my Canadian best friend rubbed off on me a lot, she didn't say aboot, but I still -almost 20 years later - catch myself saying "sorey' instead of "sorry".

Lol, you Americans don't say "sorry", you say "saawh-ry"...it's the easiest way I know to identify an American accent quickly ;) Also "lobby" sounds like "laawh-by" to me when Americans say it - it's those "o"s that are the giveaway because they're a lot flatter, closer to an "a" and further away from the almost-long-"o" sound that Canadians usually use for those words. In Vegas last weekend the elevator voice in our hotel made me giggle every time because of the way it pronounced "law-by floor".

Sorry for the essay on this one, but I find this stuff really interesting, obviously. I'm a singer and I love dissecting phonetics and vowel pronunciations in different languages and accents - I totally get excited over weird dipthongs and stuff, haha.

I'm going to admit that I really don't get Friends. I watched it when it was first airing and it was mildly amusing, but whenever I see reruns now I'm not at all compelled to keep watching. They really don't seem to have aged that well for me and I just don't find them that funny. Seinfeld, even though it's older, is still more funny to me despite its age.

I have terrible taste in TV though...I don't really watch many scripted shows at all anymore. I've tried to get into all the big critically-acclaimed dramas like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, but I always end up losing interest and shutting them off. I think it's because I don't like TV to make me feel terrible, and all those shows are pretty much sad ALL THE TIME. I can handle sad movies and books but not season after season of pain and misery. So I watch, like...shows about puppies on Animal Planet, and the Food Network, and all those terrible bride shows on TLC while I'm cooking dinner or as background when I'm reading a book, and that's sufficiently entertaining, but I almost never just sit down and watch TV without doing something else at the same time.

Me neither. It always seems a bit laboured to me. Sorry to all those who love it.
    I like comedy that's fast moving and mean. I love stuff like Veep where they're all horrible - probably why I prefer Seinfeld, although the laughter track makes it almost unwatchable. Also, UK Office > US Office.

Hehehe - I'm a communication professor and an assignment I've done before is to have students watch a old sitcom that has a laugh track, and they have to count the number of times the laugh track is used and laugh along with the track (in addition to other things - purpose is to show how media content is designed to elicit different emotional responses). I love reading responses to that assignment (in probably a slightly evil way) when they get rather annoyed by the laugh track - "Why do they use it so much - that joke wasn't even funny?!?"

Do you show them the other side of it, too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYZQ29EsPg

I do - but that clip is much better than the one I've used before! Thanks! (and I'm sure my Com 101 future students thank you as well ;) )
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    bkhamill wrote: »
    I'm trying quite hard to not use pregnancy as an excuse to lapse into bad eating habits, but it is HARD. I never had any issue getting plenty of fruit and veg before, but most veg is turning my stomach at the moment. How has mankind evolved to be repulsed by the most healthy of foods at a time you would think good nutrition is critical!? Cheese and crackers and salty, salty crisps on the other hand, I can consume those by the bucket load.

This is probably why prenatal vitamins are important - just saying.

Thankfully I am organised and started taking prenatal vitamins 3 months before we conceived so no worries there. In good food news, I managed to eat a massive bowl of spinach yesterday. It was straight out of my garden, so having washed it myself it somehow felt 'safe' to eat and didn't turn my stomach. Sadly none of my other veggies will be ready to harvest for at least another few weeks. I will have to just keep trying!

Ah, I really want a house with a garden. I want to grow all sorts of lovely eatables. Well done on the spinach, I do like fresh spinach. I still feel like Popeye when I eat it :smiley:

So when I read all the posts from everyone I know is English in my head I'll read your posts in my best English accent...I crack myself up :)

The idea of an 'English accent' always amuses me, because anyone from the British Isles will tell, there are lots of very different accents. My own accent is completely mongrel because I moved house a lot as a kid. Currently it's a mixture of Geordie and Yorkshire with some Isle of Wight and Cornish thrown in for luck. I confuse people when they speak to me.

I do too. I grew up in western Canada, moved to the US Mid-Atlantic for three years, then have spent the past 11+ yrs deep in the American South, but in an area that is very tech-oriented so there are alot of transplants. I have a unique "accent" and thank every deity you can think of, my 4 kids do NOT sound stereotypically Southern. No drawl, y'all. ;)

• cnoonannurse
    cnoonannurse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT

Oh, I'm so resisting this myself! Exactly the same for me. I'm 43 but recently I struggle to read packaging and the names of the color on the bottom of nail polish. So far, I'm taking the approach that my eyes are not getting bad due to age, but the darn print is getting smaller! Solution: I carry a small magnifying glass in my purse. I'll resist buying readers for as long as I can. My whole life I've been the only person in my family with perfect eyesight. So depressing.

I admit I am 44 now and about 6 months ago I gave in and bought a pair of readers. It was a sad day but on the upside I have gotten some compliments on how well they suit me :)

My husband got readers recently. They suit him so well, it is about the sexiest thing I have ever seen!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I agree with all this. Never liked Friends (sorry guys). Seinfeld drove me nuts with the stupid laugh track.
    And I couldn't watch the US Office after watching the original UK Office. SO MUCH better. Actually a lot of Brit shows are vastly superior to ours. But I like gritty, "real" characters in my TV shows.

Blasphemy! JK

I have watched every episode of The Office (US version) but now I really want to watch the UK version. Anyone know if it's on Netflix?

Yes, both are!
    Be prepared though, the UK version is, umm, grittier.
    ETA: if you like Ricky Gervais, also try Extras. It's in a similar vein - fly on wall style - but lots of MAJOR stars playing themselves but not quite themselves (e.g. Dan Radcliffe as bratty child-star, Orlando Bloom as vain pretty-boy). Some is hide-behind-a-cushion cringe-inducing.

I do like Ricky Gervais and I've heard of extras, but never watched any of it. I may have to check it out as well. I need something to do while all my shows are on summer hiatus.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is the 'Brit hour' while most of the Americans are still asleep!

Also, please, please, please, please don't put any GoT spoilers on here. I haven't seen the series, but I'm reading the books (on the 5th one I think, although I don't know because it's on the kindle) and if someone spoils any of it for me I will cry. I can see from the kindle I am 86% of the way through the entire thing, and I don't quite know what I'll do with myself when I finish it!

I get very mournful when I finish a series of books. Wishing I could forget all about them and read them again.

If only you were actually finishing the series! Still two more books planned!

I may or may not regularly curse GRRM in my mind for his incredibly slow writing process.

There is no may or may not in my mind. I DO curse him regularly in my mind, and out loud to my husband, who shares my love of fantasy writing (tis how we met, sorta). I particularly curse him when I am at the bookstore and notice he has some more absolute dreck that isn't "A Song of Ice and Fire" published yet again.

I used to curse Robert Jordan routinely too, and joke that he would die before he finished "The Wheel of Time". Then he did, and I felt bad for about two seconds.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a few of you are with me on the phonetics/accents/etc - it's so fun to listen to the differences.

And the TV stuff too - I get made fun of lots in my house because I PVR stuff like "Too Cute" which is literally just an hour of litters of puppies doing cute things while a baritone narrator says things like "Labrador Retrievers love water, but at 5 weeks old, runt of the litter Stanley is still not sure about the feeling of water under his paws. His sister Susie gives him a helping push into their very own puppy-sized swimming pool." I am an adult and I read a lot of Serious Literature and am politically-aware and am not generally subject to arrested development...but I JUST LIKE BABY ANIMALS A LOT OKAY?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a few of you are with me on the phonetics/accents/etc - it's so fun to listen to the differences.

And the TV stuff too - I get made fun of lots in my house because I PVR stuff like "Too Cute" which is literally just an hour of litters of puppies doing cute things while a baritone narrator says things like "Labrador Retrievers love water, but at 5 weeks old, runt of the litter Stanley is still not sure about the feeling of water under his paws. His sister Susie gives him a helping push into their very own puppy-sized swimming pool." I am an adult and I read a lot of Serious Literature and am politically-aware and am not generally subject to arrested development...but I JUST LIKE BABY ANIMALS A LOT OKAY?

LOVE "Too Cute"! I've seen every episode of the puppies and kittens.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I know that this isn't exactly the place for it, but since everyone has been so supportive about my confessions of depression and anxiety, I thought I'd share a poem that I wrote about it a while back. I hope nobody minds. :)
    Depression
    A sadness fills my soul
    And in solitude my fears
    Just become so overwhelming
    That my eyes fill with tears

I feel so alone inside
    Like nobody cares
    No matter how many people are around me
    There is a loneliness that I can’t bear

Its everywhere I go
    No matter where I run
    The sadness seems to follow
    And it blots out the sun

An endless cold descends upon me
    As I sit here all alone
    Everyone’s gone, they left me here
    And the solitude cuts me to the bone

And over the lonely horizon
    The sun rises in shining rays
    Out of a cold and lonely darkness
    Has begun a brand new day

Absolutely beautiful, and as someone who battles depression daily as well, so relatable.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I confess that ins spite of being an aging metalhead, I have DeeLite's "Groove is in the Heart" in my workout playlist.

And I sometimes hit repeat.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I confess that ins spite of being an aging metalhead, I have DeeLite's "Groove is in the Heart" in my workout playlist.

Black Eyed Peas.
    Twice.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    My confessions are:
    1) Flapjacks are my downfall - I can easily scoff down a whole tub (22 pieces) of 'bitesize' flapjacks in one sitting while telling myself that all those oats are good for me. Sometimes they are my entire dinner.
    2) I will happily sit down to watch 'Superfat vs Superskinny' on TV after failing to go to the gym and with a box of chocolates and fully aware of the irony.

i always thought flapjacks were pancakes.
    then i got a lil packet of flapjacks in a graze snack box. hooked. instantly.
    SAME! They're my favorite of the snacks in my Graze boxes!!
    Proper Flapjacks: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1148640/yummy-golden-syrup-flapjacks
    If in Canada, I think Superstore/Loblaws sells golden syrup (Tate & Lyle's in the green and gold tin). If you can't find it, don't bother making - nothing else comes close.

I've also seen it at Bulk Barn.

Now I miss Golden Syrup. May have to pick up a tin. There's nothing like sugar on toast!
    So yeah, thanks for the sabotage everyone. I now have flapjacks baking. (Why, yes, I did happen to have golden syrup in the pantry, why do you ask?) :| Probably haven't made them since Miss Hartley's Home Economics class 30 years ago, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

If you are using the BBC Good Food recipe (yes, I saved it), what variety of oatmeal are you using for "porridge oats"? Regular, quick, instant, steel cut, "Scotch", "Irish"???

For a friend. Yeah. Just in case my friend wants to make it...
  • ythannah
    Options

Well, I'm even older and have a really serious job and all that... and I know what I'll be recording on the PVR about 30 seconds after I get in the door tonight.

Litters of puppies doing cute things is right up my alley.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Finally caught up! My confession is I've been drinking too much...every single day for quite awhile. I am making a commitment to not drink Monday through Thursday this week. Please think good thoughts for me!

ETA: A little embarrassed to admit this quasi publicly, but hoping admitting it on here will make me face reality. Since I know there are several of you that have admitted to stopping for good.

You are so not judged. I'm thinking about (not yet committed to ) a dry June. Yes, it is a big enough of a deal to not drink for an entire month for me but June is my worst month. My dad died 3 years ago on his and my mother's 43rd wedding anniversary, right after Father's Day. I tend to drink and cry from one to the other. I try to keep that as discrete as possible (the drinking, not the crying ) so I'm not a super horrible example to my kids but seriously, it is excessive and it needs to stop.

You are not alone. Many people struggle with cutting back on drinking.

I am sorry for your loss. My father died right after 4th of july 1990 and I still morn him. He was a shot and a beer guy and drank every night before he went to bed. I toast him with a shot and a beer on 4th of july and on his birthday in October. It makes me feel better to keep this ritual in his memory.

Thanks. I am sorry for your loss as well. I'm not sure that it ever gets easier. It hasn't so far anyway. .. I think that is a great way to remember your Dad. Very fitting. :)
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    I haven't washed my hands after going to the bathroom. Then shook this dude's hand whom I really dislike.
    I am almost two days behind but had to comment. This is awesome!!! I hope you washed them afterward :wink:
  • ythannah
    Options

At least I remain true to my aging metalhead spirit... I've been known to put Black Sabbath "Paranoid" on perpetual repeat in the car. For DAYS.

(Granted, sometimes I'm only in the car for short periods at a time... but still...)
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

Well, I'm even older and have a really serious job and all that... and I know what I'll be recording on the PVR about 30 seconds after I get in the door tonight.

You'll love it! They show 3 different breeds each show and of course they show them all get adopted out at the end and show pictures of them with their new families. It is truly an overload of cute.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Confession: I pre-log my days and usually don't change them, but I often eat the foods in a completely different order from the way that I logged them.

I have six meal slots, and today, rather than eating 1, then 2, 3, etc... I ate them in the following order: 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1. So basically, I'm having my breakfast for my dinner right now.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Alright I thought @peleroja had a typo when she used PVR but here it is again...so what is PVR? Is that the Canadian version of our DVR? Hm!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    My confessions are:
    1) Flapjacks are my downfall - I can easily scoff down a whole tub (22 pieces) of 'bitesize' flapjacks in one sitting while telling myself that all those oats are good for me. Sometimes they are my entire dinner.
    2) I will happily sit down to watch 'Superfat vs Superskinny' on TV after failing to go to the gym and with a box of chocolates and fully aware of the irony.

i always thought flapjacks were pancakes.
    then i got a lil packet of flapjacks in a graze snack box. hooked. instantly.
    SAME! They're my favorite of the snacks in my Graze boxes!!
    Proper Flapjacks: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1148640/yummy-golden-syrup-flapjacks
    If in Canada, I think Superstore/Loblaws sells golden syrup (Tate & Lyle's in the green and gold tin). If you can't find it, don't bother making - nothing else comes close.

I've also seen it at Bulk Barn.

Now I miss Golden Syrup. May have to pick up a tin. There's nothing like sugar on toast!
    So yeah, thanks for the sabotage everyone. I now have flapjacks baking. (Why, yes, I did happen to have golden syrup in the pantry, why do you ask?) :| Probably haven't made them since Miss Hartley's Home Economics class 30 years ago, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

If you are using the BBC Good Food recipe (yes, I saved it), what variety of oatmeal are you using for "porridge oats"? Regular, quick, instant, steel cut, "Scotch", "Irish"???

For a friend. Yeah. Just in case my friend wants to make it...
    Tell your 'friend' that I just used quick-cook oats, and they are amazing! Having one with my afternoon tea right now. I added raisins. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Confession: I'm starting to get annoyed with eating my two snacks at work. I'd rather ignore the hunger and headaches than eat.

I also have to send my mother a photo of every meal so she knows I'm eating. Though she has asked me twice if I'm lying to her about whether or not I actually eat it. (I do eat my food, btw).

Is the actual food you dislike? The interruption to your work day? Or eating period? I know you are struggling with this so I'm just wondering what specifically the issue is so that maybe we can offer some help. Maybe just drink 2 quick protein drinks in place of those 2 snacks? Quick, easy, yet nourishing.

Remember, you just reached your new PR - the better you take care of yourself the sooner you'll reach your next one!